Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Golgo13 posted:

You get the same with FPS players. When you're skilled/practiced enough you don't spot an enemy and go through the conscious thought of aiming and shooting you react spontaneously. Then you get people who are amazing at this like Shroud.

Yeah, this is why a lot of FPS players have much more success with a "flick" style where they fire while moving their reticle past the target, rather than lining up the shot before they take it. You get the click out ASAP, and you train your wrist to reflexively cross over the target as that shot is firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Had my first successful run of Into the Breach last night! I ended up finishing the final fight with 1 grid power left, it was intense. Rusting Hulks seemed underpowered at first, but I ended up loving them.

I just unlocked Flame Behemoths as my 4th squad. Anyone have any basic tips for them? I don't necessarily want every aspect of their strategy, but maybe some info on utilizing fire damage would be cool. I haven't really hosed with that much.

Just light everything on fire. Remember it does Damage Over Time, and your flamethrower mech does double damage to things already on fire.

Fire damage doesn't damage buildings so don't worry about hurting them.

Also forget everything I just said because you have the Teleporter, the best unit, and you can just dump people into water, other hazards, each other etc. There are some pro pilots for the Teleporter and it can make a game nasty fast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Can someone please explain the intense love goons have for this game; I have it in the PS4, and to me, it's just average.
Like, I love the terrain destruction ( :rip: Return Fire ), and the 80s/90s action star references are enjoyable, but... enh?
What am I missing?

Its a good game, brent

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm still mad that dragon's dogma doesn't have 'flying into free' as a song anymore. I loved hearing that on the menu every time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

Can someone please explain the intense love goons have for this game; I have it in the PS4, and to me, it's just average.
Like, I love the terrain destruction ( :rip: Return Fire ), and the 80s/90s action star references are enjoyable, but... enh?
What am I missing?
I'm pretty sure it's just the same one guy that brings it up all the time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just light everything on fire. Remember it does Damage Over Time, and your flamethrower mech does double damage to things already on fire.

Fire damage doesn't damage buildings so don't worry about hurting them.

Also forget everything I just said because you have the Teleporter, the best unit, and you can just dump people into water, other hazards, each other etc. There are some pro pilots for the Teleporter and it can make a game nasty fast.

Thanks, I just scuttled my first run after my teleporter got hosed up by the boss of the first island. I'm still getting used to not having immediate sources of damage.

I also was dumb and took the dam mission, not realizing that I don't actually have any way of damaging the dam since it is immune to fire. I was hoping I could get the Vek to target it but it didn't end up panning out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RBA Starblade posted:

If you play co-op you do a screen-shaking high five that puts you into bullet time, and also you can flex your muscles

Irl, or in game? Your wording makes it hard to tell. :v:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mister Facetious posted:

What am I missing?

I had a similar reaction. It seems like something that plays extremely well in co-op, but I didn't think it was anything special in single player.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr Cheeto posted:

I had a similar reaction. It seems like something that plays extremely well in co-op, but I didn't think it was anything special in single player.

That's exactly it. It's fun in single player. It's a god drat hoot in multiplayer.

We've probably put well over a hundred hours into it in the last two years.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well I bought Enter The Gungeon because I saw it was $7.50 with an Amazon Download Code and I had Amazon Gift Cards in my account, so it was essentially free.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mister Facetious posted:

Both

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It turns out, to be a good broforce, you have to have a bro

Extremely thematically consistent

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Well I bought Enter The Gungeon because I saw it was $7.50 with an Amazon Download Code and I had Amazon Gift Cards in my account, so it was essentially free.

Good decision, Gungeon is a great game. It's also one of those games that has vastly improved through content updates, so I think tacking an extra point or two onto most review scores of the launch game is probably a good way to gauge the current quality.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I bought Enter the Gungeon awhile ago because a friend sold it to me as being "rogue like and similar to rogue legacy" which I am not seeing at all.

As a result, having a hard time getting into this game, though I give it a go every few months. Is there something to it I'm potentially missing?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Google just fed me an article that speculated that we may get a Direct on Thursday as a goodbye to Reggie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Facetious posted:

Flaunt em if you've got em

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I bought Enter the Gungeon awhile ago because a friend sold it to me as being "rogue like and similar to rogue legacy" which I am not seeing at all.

As a result, having a hard time getting into this game, though I give it a go every few months. Is there something to it I'm potentially missing?

It is a twin stick shooter Roguelike. Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, and Nuclear Throne are probably the three best of the genre with varying emphasis on speed and bullet hell abilities. Gungeon is by far the slowest and most bullet hell of them, and also has the most different unlocks to go after.

I wouldn't call it "similar to Rogue Legacy" though. That would be Dead Cells, which does everything Rogue Legacy did but way better.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

Google just fed me an article that speculated that we may get a Direct on Thursday as a goodbye to Reggie.

Would be nice to have him appear in one one more time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Phoenix Wright collection out tomorrow. Time to double dip.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Gungeon's biggest draw is it has an absurd amount of content. Guns, passives, active items, etc. And then on top of that they have this whole synergy system where combos of items become even bigger, better items. There are a ton of bullets to dodge, yeah, but I am not good at bullet-hell games at all and I've beaten Gungeon multiple times. Mostly you just need to get the muscle memory down and you'll start burning through floors without much trouble.

I'd also recommend looking up some basic strategy as well. There are some things (selling health to the vampire merchant for example) that are extremely strong but may seem counter-intuitive at first glance.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Beastie posted:

Reggie already had a personal direct though.

https://youtu.be/v-hWm8cg9Eo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Its this, its fun in single player, dont get me wrong, but its an entirely new game when played with friends

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It'd be pretty chill if, on Reggie's last day, they released a video where he says he's off to play Animal Crossing on his Nintendo Switch, available now.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is Reggie retiring or moving to some other company?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
he's subliming to the next plane of existence

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Retiring if the reports last month were correct.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It turned out Reggie's gamer cred was fraudulent.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Handsome Ralph posted:

Be like me and turn the aim assist all the way up. Now you don't have to (but still can) aim.

You'll always target the enemy closest to you but that's fine.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I kind of want to see Reggie go work at a mutual fund or insurance lobby and never get any laughs from the rich gargoyles in his press events. The only likable executive in America just slowly realizing it's the people and not the money that gave him joy.

A Christmas Carol 2, if you will.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Handsome Ralph posted:

Gungeon gets more fun the more you play it. Once you start to unlock other characters and buy a ton of new guns, it's 100% more fun than it is when you first start.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wanted to like Gungeon but the early parts of a run are such a slog :smith:

Nuclear Thrones stupidly fast pacing spoiled me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is Reggie retiring or moving to some other company?

Retiring. But expect Google to drag him on stage in two months as new president of Stadia. "At Nintendo, we didn't know how the internet worked. That's why I'm perfect to be in charge of a cloud gaming platform that over promises"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL Stadia

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Retiring. But expect Google to drag him on stage in two months as new president of Stadia. "At Nintendo, we didn't know how the internet worked. That's why I'm perfect to be in charge of a cloud gaming platform that over promises"

I thought the guy who ruined the PS3 and Xbox One launches was in charge

This guy : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Harrison

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 8, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now that's a man who should be in charge of Nintendo Online.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They already hired the man in charge of the two worst console launches ever seen to do that job.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its weird that google is going all in on artifical sweeteners

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Am I stupid or does Overwhelm really force you to play with one joycon each in COOP? Whyyyy...

Pushing a button to aim is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

antidote posted:

Am I stupid or does Overwhelm really force you to play with one joycon each in COOP? Whyyyy...

Pushing a button to aim is awful.
Lots of games are doing this (Captain Toad is another big example) and it sucks butt.

I understand that they're assuming marketed appeal of taking a single Switch into the park and playing it with a stranger or something, but to force people to use a single joycon when they've got multiple controllers around is painful.