Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was Vera fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does the show ever get into how Niles and Maris even got together?

My guess is they actually have a lot in common, but the problem is much of what they do have in common is all their worst traits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does the show ever get into how Niles and Maris even got together?
Niles tells the story once.

Basically it was before he became a shrink (but was in school). He was driving through the frou-frou area of town and Maris was locked outside her palatial estate's gate. He stopped to help her and they both either were shocked by the gate as it reactivated (or the static from Niles' assuredly un-leather car interior).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Niles tells the story once.

Basically it was before he became a shrink (but was in school). He was driving through the frou-frou area of town and Maris was locked outside her palatial estate's gate. He stopped to help her and they both either were shocked by the gate as it reactivated (or the static from Niles' assuredly un-leather car interior).

Well, that explains a lot.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Calaveron posted:

Oh absolutely. She completely sells Diane as being a horrible beast and also someone who is just confused and scared of being alone and also just a weirdo pretentious with a good heart

Yeah Diane was my favorite character on Cheers when I watched it recently. Anytime she opens her mouth with a "well actually" or something you know hilarity is coming. The perfect Diane moment is the Thanksgiving episode where they're at Carla's and Sam says "This is great, and you don't even have to worry about your weird aunt showing up" then Diane walks in the door wearing a pilgrim costume crying.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Diane's play on Frasier is one of the funniest episodes too. "Salutations all!" says the Frasier clone as Frasier nods in approval. His blowup is great too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"A prickly choice, Stan. I'm reminded of when the Earl of Sandwich was asked if he would rather die of the gallows or the pox. 'That depends sir, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress'" :roflolmao:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cheers is an excellent prequel series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, that explains a lot.
Yeah. Niles is cast as a dreamer with upper crust social climber aspirations who saves a damsel in distress. Maris is probably wowed by this rugged working commoner who comes out of nowhere to solve her problems (but has enough class to not be a total peasant).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Her money comes from owning lots of shitters!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oldpainless posted:

Her money comes from owning lots of shitters!

Urinal cakes, actually

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've flushed out your family secret!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And then Donny and Daphne got together....poor Niles. Poor creepy stalkery Niles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then Donny and Daphne got together....poor Niles. Poor creepy stalkery Niles.

That episode where Niles tries to get Roz and Donny together at the cabin is 31 flavors of cringe.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. Niles is cast as a dreamer with upper crust social climber aspirations who saves a damsel in distress. Maris is probably wowed by this rugged working commoner who comes out of nowhere to solve her problems (but has enough class to not be a total peasant).

I was her first bad boy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wow I forgot how much Simon completely sucks the comedy out of every scene he's in

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And as bad as he is he's still better than Daphne's mom.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
It's baffling why the writers or producers felt these characters just *had* *to* *keep* *appearing*.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

And as bad as he is he's still better than Daphne's mom.

I remember her being horrible but I've only seen one brief scene with her so far, when she first arrives for the wedding

It was really bad

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sagacity posted:

It's baffling why the writers or producers felt these characters just *had* *to* *keep* *appearing*.

One, Simon needs to be louder, drunker, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Simon's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Simon?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Daphne's family is just best left as this amorphous entity consisting of skeevy impolite and inconsiderate anecdotes. Actually making them characters makes them way, way, way too abrasive and not at all redeeming.

Quote-Unquote posted:

One, Simon needs to be louder, drunker, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Simon's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Simon?"
They really doubled-down on useless-rear end characters with last season's Kirby, a stoner who looks 26 but is somehow in High School.

I liked what Donny brought to the cast, since he had wealth to throw around but was kind of a slobby guy who knew where he could best make his living and never complained about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked Donny and Mel a lot as characters. Turning them into cartoon villains to make Daphne and Niles not look like total assholes was bad writing. They should have both stayed married and loved each other secretly for a season or so to build it up better. As it stands Daphne just outright falls in love with him and destroys her wedding in the span of like 5 episodes. It's weird.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Mel was weird and it was strange to see Niles so cool with her breaking doctor/patient confidentiality when not long prior he schemed to screw over another doctor for sleeping with his wife.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Bloodplay it again posted:

Mel was weird and it was strange to see Niles so cool with her breaking doctor/patient confidentiality when not long prior he schemed to screw over another doctor for sleeping with his wife.

she was hot and niles was thirsty do not give the crane buoys too much credit

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Quote-Unquote posted:

So what you're saying is Simon could've been a worthwhile character if they just rastafied him by another ten percent or so?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked Donny and Mel a lot as characters. Turning them into cartoon villains to make Daphne and Niles not look like total assholes was bad writing. They should have both stayed married and loved each other secretly for a season or so to build it up better. As it stands Daphne just outright falls in love with him and destroys her wedding in the span of like 5 episodes. It's weird.

Yea it's a level of character inconsistency we hadn't seen on the show before, and you can tell the writers were just itching to get Niles and Daphne together without making them look bad so Mel and Donny had to become comically bad/evil. Although Donny ends up coming across as the one who dealt with it better overall, they really went to town on making Mel into a villain with the whole "you have to stay fake married to me to keep up appearances" subplot

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

There's a lot that doesn't make sense with their relationship. They're still a better match for each other than Niles and Daphne though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked Donny and Mel a lot as characters. Turning them into cartoon villains to make Daphne and Niles not look like total assholes was bad writing.
Mel was a loving disaster. He had better chemistry with the loving Whippet he adopted after the divorce. Her little speech about "well he just needs the right kind of push to be the best he can be" was cringe worthy since it placed her interests above his agency. He just traded Maris' hopeless complications for Mel's rigidity. Her bullshit was in character, imo.

Donnie was good, though. And yes, the resolution to the whole Niles Daphne thing was terrible

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sagacity posted:

So what you're saying is Simon could've been a worthwhile character if they just rastafied him by another ten percent or so?

Maybe if he was in a hiphop context. With a shmear of surfer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hey cool it's time for my monthly "mel is godawful literally from the first scene she is introduced in, you guys talking about her 'becoming a villain' are fuckin' nuts" post

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I just watched the whole arc up to the wedding and Mel was pretty unpleasant the whole time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

also donny was totally cool in every episode he was in, like he even dropped the lawsuits after a solid 22 minutes, and his resolution/failed courthouse wedding is a much better and funnier coda to being left at the altar than frasier "well i guess i'll just go back to the bar and see everyone almost every night and literally not have any emotional resolution to this until a decade later in an entirely different sitcom" crane

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

Yea it's a level of character inconsistency we hadn't seen on the show before, and you can tell the writers were just itching to get Niles and Daphne together without making them look bad so Mel and Donny had to become comically bad/evil. Although Donny ends up coming across as the one who dealt with it better overall, they really went to town on making Mel into a villain with the whole "you have to stay fake married to me to keep up appearances" subplot

Mel being a supervillain did give us that awesome episode with Victor Garber as the butler, though.

"Your foam finger, sir."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

nthing that Donnie owns

Until Frasier pisses him off he's ready to drop the suit and says that he only started it because he's a lawyer and it was his instinct lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Niles in the whippet episode:

I had a bad dream. I dreamt that Maris came back and stole Maris! And then Maris drove off with Maris and I ran off down the street after them and I yelled "Maris! Maris!" And then my teeth fell out. Daphne you were there. Can I sleep in your living room?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

food court bailiff posted:

his resolution/failed courthouse wedding is a much better and funnier coda to being left at the altar
The first time it happened I thought it was just kind of mean spirited and a really bad way to get everyone to forget about him.

Then Daphne needs to go see him before his second wedding and it's just like, stop, leave the man alone.

The only thing worse than Mel was Frasier ping-ponging between "Sexy brusque divorcee" and "Literally his ideal woman" during the last season or two.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hey cool it's time for my monthly "mel is godawful literally from the first scene she is introduced in, you guys talking about her 'becoming a villain' are fuckin' nuts" post

I mean she's introduced as female Niles, and if you're calling Niles godawful, buddy we got problems

agreed with everyone that Donny was cool and good overall

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WampaLord posted:

I mean she's introduced as female Niles

Yeah watch this and tell me she's just female Niles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npgnRPhyFTg&t=25s

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

his resolution/failed courthouse wedding is a much better and funnier coda to being left at the altar than frasier "well i guess i'll just go back to the bar and see everyone almost every night and literally not have any emotional resolution to this until a decade later in an entirely different sitcom" crane

Donnie's mom sussing Daphne out when he's getting re-married is great. And his little speech about how there just isn't anyone else good out there is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I find the actress who played her pretty fuckin' hot, so I'm inclined to cut her character some unearned slack. It's me, the one with Niles' Thirst Disease.