Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Does anyone have any opinions on the VNs in the humble bundle? It goes away tomorrowish. The humble descriptions are exceedingly useless. I watched the Clannad anime way back when, but i know the VN is supposed to be good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Clannad is good and wholesome and will make you cry. Also it usually commands a high price. Devil on a G String and and Ladykiller in a Bind are pretty good.

Edit: creature romances is a good joke but it’s literally just one joke and beneath that is a completely pedestrian VN.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 8, 2019

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Argona posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the VNs in the humble bundle? It goes away tomorrowish. The humble descriptions are exceedingly useless. I watched the Clannad anime way back when, but i know the VN is supposed to be good as well.

Clannad is well worth it for $15.

Don't know much about G-Senjou no Maou except that it's highly rated on VNDB, so I sprung for it.

At first blush Genital Jousting sticks out like a sore thumb among these VNs, but honestly you'd be hard pressed to find another game of this caliber that doesn't feel like it's just slapped together in one evening. The gameplay is head and shoulders above similar entries and deserves to stand tall alongside the behemoths of this gen. I know I'm painting with broad strokes here, but without hitting all the finer points all I can do is gush. I haven't played it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 start ok lmao. I'm fairly sure the first four chapters are more or less fictional accounts of what happened (the first two from the bottles, the third from Eva's account, the fourth from (???)) but this one straight up seems to have someone's perfect OC poorly inserted into it. I'm going to lose it if this account ends up being someone's bad Rokkenjima fanfic or some poo poo lmao

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

anyway if i'm totally off track or forgetting something major lemme know

We most certainly will not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also re a certain culprit theory I'm thinking the problem with Kanon as a sole culprit is that despite all the evidence that he's deeply suspicious, his whole personality is based around denying his self worth. In other words I can't see him having the agency to do something like this, he seems too passive, even in the fantasy scenes (which I'm taking to mostly be true in a characterization sense with obvious exceptions like GOLDSMITH)

e) there's a possibility that Beatrice for Kanon is like Maria/Beatrice, maybe? In the sense that she's Kanon's fantisization of having self worth and agency, but I don't know if that works. Unlike Maria, Kanon doesn't seem to be in denial, it's almost the opposite where he engages in self depreciation about being a powerless servant

with that being said he is *deeply* suspicious so time to read on I guess

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god the chapter 5 dinner scene this is totally a bad self insert OC I'm dying at how funny this is. Bernkastel, the witch of Bad Fanfiction

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 8, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Erika is so fuckin' great.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 the rest of chapter 5 could consist entirely of bernkastel and lambdadelta telling fart jokes and it'd still be an all time great for Erika showing up and suddenly turning Umineko into a bad sitcom, and MOON TOURISM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw did the author of this game work as a schoolteacher or something, because there's something really, really true to life in how it depicts domestic child abuse in a way that isn't cartoonish or exaggerated, and particularly in how different children deal with it

with that being said (ch4) i really had a hard time believing that Rosa wouldn't get in deep poo poo from Japanese CPS after she assaulted a welfare officer who was restraining her because she was going to hit her daughter. is it implied she got off because she's from a well-connected family?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 8, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Feels Villeneuve posted:

btw did the author of this game work as a schoolteacher or something, because there's something really, really true to life in how it depicts domestic child abuse in a way that isn't cartoonish or exaggerated, and particularly in how different children deal with it

with that being said (ch4) i really had a hard time believing that Rosa wouldn't get in deep poo poo from Japanese CPS after she assaulted a welfare officer who was restraining her because she was going to hit her daughter. is it implied she got off because she's from a well-connected family?
I believe Ryukishi07 actually literally did work in a welfare office prior to writing When They Cry; I think he talks about it in one of the post-chapter denouements in Higurashi (a work that also heavily features child abuse as a plot point).

As for your spoiler yeah that was my take.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
christ that's sad. not to dig in the text for biographical info but that stuff is really likely informed by real life experience, i suspect

the end of ch4 with Ange swapping in the new Sakutaro and Beatrice knowing fully well what she did, and playing along anyway because she was unwilling to hurt Maria was so heartbreaking/touching. and in a sense it's doing exactly what Maria did in her life, it's taking something bad (Rosa bought a generic lion plush and pretended she sewed it herself because she's lazy) and reframes it into something good. the whole chapter went back and forth on the virtues of "magic" as unhealthy denial/"magic" as coping , but that last scene was maybe the best single scene in the series so far)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 8, 2019

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Argona posted:

Highway Blossoms is a pretty simple road trip story with some yuri elements. Sidenote: The 2 coupons are for VNs from the same group

Ladykiller in a Bind is smut but it's fun. Christine Love does good work.

Purrfect Date is kind of odd as you're trying to "date" cats but it's adorable in the same way. Kind of reminds me of Hatoful Boyfriend in a way?

Sunrider is a SRPG with VN stuff. I'm terrible at these so I haven't gotten to it yet.

G-Senjou is usually priced decently high. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I accidentally spoiled the end for myself but it's OK as far as I've read.

I haven't touched Just Deserts yet but I believe it's an X-Com like?

I'd say it's a pretty good bundle.

quick edit: The coupon for National Park Girls brought my copy down to like $3 so that's a nice steal.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 8, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Irritated Goat posted:

Sunrider is a SRPG with VN stuff. I'm terrible at these so I haven't gotten to it yet.

One of them is, Academy is a Tokimemo style stat dating sim

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of them is, Academy is a Tokimemo style stat dating sim

Going to step in here since this is going to confuse people. There are actually FOUR Sunrider games, with three of them functioning as a trilogy of sci-fi SRPGs with VN elements, while the fourth, Academy, is just a semi-joke work featuring the same characters in a different genre/universe. None of this is a statement on how good/bad any of them are, just a clarification. The main series definitely drew inspiration from Galaxy Angel (to the point the company's mascot is a Space Whale), but very much goes its own direction.

Incidentally, the fourth actual Sunrider game (making it a quadrilogy?) was recently announced to be in pre-production.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Going to step in here since this is going to confuse people. There are actually FOUR Sunrider games, with three of them functioning as a trilogy of sci-fi SRPGs with VN elements, while the fourth, Academy, is just a semi-joke work featuring the same characters in a different genre/universe. None of this is a statement on how good/bad any of them are, just a clarification.

I thought it was two SRPGs (Mask and Liberation), and two spinoffs (Academy and Shining Song)?

Either way I guess, the bundle has Liberation and Academy and Mask is a free game.

Also Galaxy Angel is good as hell and I miss it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought it was two SRPGs (Mask and Liberation), and two spinoffs (Academy and Shining Song)?

Either way I guess, the bundle has Liberation and Academy and Mask is a free game.

Also Galaxy Angel is good as hell and I miss it.

Whoops, yeah, due to how it was released I'd forgotten Mask was the first game in the official release. The game was originally released in parts, and initially Mask was basically defined as Part 2 of the story but it got bundled together with Part 1 for the mainstream release.

As for Shining Song, that's completely separate from the Sunrider games, it just happens to share a few similar looking characters. Feel free to pick your reasons (character designer being lazy, them just wanting to keep the similar looks, or something else).

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lord Koth posted:

Whoops, yeah, due to how it was released I'd forgotten Mask was the first game in the official release. The game was originally released in parts, and initially Mask was basically defined as Part 2 of the story but it got bundled together with Part 1 for the mainstream release.

As for Shining Song, that's completely separate from the Sunrider games, it just happens to share a few similar looking characters. Feel free to pick your reasons (character designer being lazy, them just wanting to keep the similar looks, or something else).

How difficult would you say the SRPG stuff is? Is there just a "make this stupid easy" difficulty?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

How difficult would you say the SRPG stuff is? Is there just a "make this stupid easy" difficulty?

There are a few infuriating enemies, but overall it's a fairly reasonable difficulty. And yes, there are difficulty settings, and among them are both a Casual and Story difficulty setting, depending on just how easy you want it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Umineko ch5 the rest of chapter 5 could consist entirely of bernkastel and lambdadelta telling fart jokes and it'd still be an all time great for Erika showing up and suddenly turning Umineko into a bad sitcom, and MOON TOURISM

holy poo poo you are tearing through this game lmao

if you want to take a stab at finding the mastermind on your own: EP 1-4 give you all the information you strictly need. 5 and 6 drop bigger hints. After that point, things start getting spelled out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i more or less locked myself up over the weekend and binged it, because i'm the type of loser who does that with VNs lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Ahhh, okay, gotcha.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i more or less locked myself up over the weekend and binged it, because i'm the type of loser who does that with VNs lmao
Let's be real that's what VNs are for, I'm just impressed how steady your progress has been. I got mad after chapter 3 because it felt like I was getting nowhere.

Knowing that bit about Ryukiji working as a welfare officer makes so much sense, it explains why there is so drat much maria content

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

heres the two keys for the games i had already. just quote if you take one.

Sunrider: Liberation Day - Captain's Edition
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=yr7myYYfwknvT6q3

Highway Blossoms
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cvH5yDfkwPHGhc4R

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Huh. I got the Steins;Gate ending where I hooked up with Mayuri and we didn’t bother saving Kurisu and I know it’s not the TRUE ending, but I like it. Everything is returned to the status quo at the start of the game, and you never find out wtf that professor was going on about.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I bought the humble bundle and super underwhelmed by the games. I guess the cat game is cute?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Be Depressive posted:

Huh. I got the Steins;Gate ending where I hooked up with Mayuri and we didn’t bother saving Kurisu and I know it’s not the TRUE ending, but I like it. Everything is returned to the status quo at the start of the game, and you never find out wtf that professor was going on about.
Pls get the true ending and see the error of your ways.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would use a guide to Steins Gate, the decision to hide the actual contents of the messages you send until you decide to send them always seemed really silly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's totally arbitrary yeah do cheat and don't try to figure it out. Also fast mode is really fast, you can unlock the true ending in twenty minutes or so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5: given what I *think* Erika represents, it's funny that she evokes Agatha Christie when Poirot's method was all about "psychology", which is what he called exploring the motivations of all the suspects (best shown in imo her best novel Five Little Pigs, though Orient Express is great at this too) IIRC there's even one book where a Sherlock Holmes parody character shows up and tries to solve everything with forensics whole totally ignoring the motivations of the suspects

e) really creeped out about how "wrong" everyone's behavior is, even stuff like Eva's reaction to George dying feels totally unsympathetic and all the character personalities are so broad compared to the earlier chapters, which I'm assuming is a result of Beatrice not being in charge of the game anymore. Like in ch3 George's death sent Eva into a complete breakdown while here she's calmly chatting about clues a few hours later like it's nothing.

Natshui (and to an extent Krauss) is the only person who actually seems to exist in this chapter, it's like she was moved into some nightmare world where everyone else is fake. It's really creepy

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 9, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Spoilers to unimeko chapter 5 and also Agatha Christie's "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" hahaha Knox's Commandments are being brought up, once again the Christie reference is hilarious since she violated those rules all the time, most famously in Roger Ackroyd when the narrator was the culprit, given how the author seems to love the mystery genre this has to be intentional lmao[

e) i loving love that this seems to be a send up of mystery novels but with an obvious love for the genre, it seems to be pointing out that they sometimes care about evidence minutae over characters but at the same time it's so thrilling to see Battler "solve" kinzo's closed room problem even while it's obviously loving ridiculous

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 9, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I took this, cheers!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Be Depressive posted:

The true ending will give you a very different perspective on Mayuri's ending. Keep going and yeah, use a guide.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Be Depressive posted:

If you're cool with that ending, go play Zero.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's not the ending Zero branches out of. Starting Zero having only seen the S;G Mayuri ending will probably leave you confused.

I think the Mayuri ending is unsatisfying (on purpose) because it's pretty clear Rintaro doesn't really have any romantic feelings towards Mayuri. It's entirely a one-sided crush and the only reason he's going out with her is because of trauma and guilt.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(all posts about Umineko in the recent past)

Please keep posting. It's fascinating to see someone smarter than I/person with apparent experience of the mystery genre going through the VN. I didn't fully give up on trying to solve the mystery but it felt pretty much like trudging through a swamp to try and find a logical conclusion. Once you've finished the entire thing and have understood all the underlying stuff I would suggest you to go back to your posting history in the thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dessel posted:

Please keep posting. It's fascinating to see someone smarter than I/person with apparent experience of the mystery genre going through the VN. I didn't fully give up on trying to solve the mystery but it felt pretty much like trudging through a swamp to try and find a logical conclusion. Once you've finished the entire thing and have understood all the underlying stuff I would suggest you to go back to your posting history in the thread.

I have a distinct feeling that the "proper" way to experience this VN would have been at the time, waiting between them to come out. I already learned from a few flashbacks that some of my theories e.g. Kanon was dead at the start and "Kanon is dead" is bypassed by e.g. an imposter Kanon being alive were already contradicted, which would have been easier to find out if I had been replaying old chapters while waiting a few months for the new one to arrive

current theory just based on intuition and not necessarily evidence lol: at this point, post ch4, it's pretty clear that the mystery hinges on what exactly the nature of Beatrice's existence is. the fact that Kanon is the most suspicious character in the game makes it likely that Kanon is acting as Beatrice, but I have no clue in hell why Kanon specifically would have some kind of connection to Battler, let alone one which involved going back six years (presumably to the last time Battler was at the conference, given the whole "what was your sin six years ago" bit) since they barely interact anyway.

given the nature of magic as shown by Maria, it's very likely that Beatrice is a manifestation of Kanon's trauma/desire to escape trauma but when the hell would Battler have traumatized Kanon? I'm going to assume this story doesn't hinge off "Kid Battler tried to brutally murder Kanon six years ago" or some dumb poo poo like that.

like, the whole thing is weird. the big ch4 question was Beatrice asking "who am I", but the answer being "Kanon" would hardly be satisfying on any kind of emotional level

btw ch5: I'm now a bit confused as to why people are acting so weird in this chapter (aside from Natshui and Krauss). Per what Knox said, pieces can't do things against their nature (which I'm assuming is a big hint of *HEY EVEN THOUGH THE GAMES CONTRADICT EACH OTHER CHARACTER MOTIVATIONS REMAIN CONSTANT*) so why the hell is e.g. Eva acting fine and dandy after George died? Why is basically nobody reacting to Erika acting like a complete rear end in a top hat about everyone's deaths? I thought the weird/bad acting of all the characters was because Bern/Lambda's game "lacked heart" but that also doesn't explain why Natshui still seems "real".

on the other hand Battler jumping out the window of Kinzo's study is a top 5 scene in visual novel history

e) I also liked Battler seeing Kinzo which I'm assuming is more or less explicating to people who haven't figured it out yet that scenes not from the POV of the main character (which, in this game is explicitly Erika) are not necessarily factual

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2019

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Kurisu started annoying me by the end, and it seemed like a satisfying status quo. I waited for a post credits scene or something but none came. On the whole it is a great story anyway and I’ll get back to it later - maybe the Elite version on Steam. Right now I’m playing my way thru PSP fan translations.

Next up is Ever17, which has a real cool premise despite looking like it turns totally nutso by the end. I’m interested with the construction of these games, how much emphasis (work hours) is put into sound and writing over graphics or gameplay.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But like... Stein;s Gate's story is just a series of things that happen without the true ending. If you're curious what other people like about it a huge part is the true ending, and it's very quick to get with skip mode on (it plays the text at 100x speed until you get the opportunity for some interaction). I wouldn't normally bother someone about this except you said you were interested in writing a VN so I think it's kind of something you should see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Steins Gate true ending is fantastic and you should absolutely not miss out on it