Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sincx posted:

Big air coolers will always suffer from the issue of "you're putting a huge amount of weight and torque on a few thin layers of fiberglass glued together." AIOs have an additional moving part (the pump), but their mounting mechanisms are much better. And a damaged motherboard will cost many times the price difference between an AIO and an equivalent air cooler to replace.
This hasn't been an issue since the IHS became a thing. Modern motherboards are also increasingly thick.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sincx posted:

Big air coolers will always suffer from the issue of "you're putting a huge amount of weight and torque on a few thin layers of fiberglass glued together." AIOs have an additional moving part (the pump), but their mounting mechanisms are much better. And a damaged motherboard will cost many times the price difference between an AIO and an equivalent air cooler to replace.
If I had a mega-size heatsink I'd absolutely disassemble it if I were packing up the PC for a move or needed to ship it. But just sitting attached to the motherboard PCB is absolutely fine, they are stronger than they look.

To me the biggest difference between huge tower heatsinks compared with AIOs, is that on sustained loads the case airflow becomes a big influence on temperature & noise. A liquid cooler has a much easier time dealing with poor case airflow because they dump heat directly to the outside. I've used an Antec P180 for over a decade, which is not exactly a high-airflow case, and I've found there are balance points for CPU fan vs case fans that have changed depending on which hardware was in it over the years. AIO by comparison is pretty much a single variable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wouldn't, but what I *would* do is get that Instapak foam and let that expand inside the case, take up all the room inside. It's what I did the last two times I had to ship to people who were not quite as technologically-adept as myself.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1046179/000119312519097160/d870977d6k.htm

quote:

TSMC today announced delivery of the complete version of its 5 nanometer (nm) design infrastructure within the Open Innovation Platform® (OIP). This full release enables 5nm systems-on-chip (SoC) designs in next-generation advanced mobile and high-performance computing (HPC) applications, targeting high-growth 5G and artificial intelligence markets. Leading Electronic Design Automation (EDA) and IP vendors collaborated with TSMC to develop and validate the complete design infrastructure, including technology files, process design kits (PDKs), tools, flows and IP, through multiple silicon test vehicles.

TSMC’s 5nm process is already in risk production and offers IC designers a new level of performance and power optimization targeted at the next generation of high-end mobile and HPC applications. Compared with TSMC’s 7nm process, its innovative scaling features deliver 1.8X logic density and 15% speed gain on an ARM® Cortex®-A72 core, along with superior SRAM and analog area reduction enabled by the process architecture. The 5nm process enjoys the benefits of process simplification provided by EUV lithography, and is making excellent progress in yield learning, achieving the best technology maturity at the same corresponding stage as compared to TSMC's previous nodes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, TSMC are killing it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Neat.

Is Zen 3 expected to be on 5nm?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

OhFunny posted:

Neat.

Is Zen 3 expected to be on 5nm?

I think the current rumor is that Zen 3 will be on TSMC 7nm+, which I think is their current 7nm process but with some of the DUV steps replaced with EUV steps. From what I understand TSMC's 5nm node will be mobile-focused (so targeting low power but also low clocks).

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Right about the time I want to upgrade 5nm might be in new phones. Rad.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
5nm and 5G wow!

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm planning to build close to the end of the year once Zen 2 and Navi are both out. Probably gonna be the 3700x, I'd guess. I'm not planning on overclocking it and letting the "Precision Boost" or whatever do what it can. Is the stock cooler(s) AMD started including on Ryzens good enough, or am I gonna want to add some bigger air cooler like that Noctura or whatever?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If your budget is so constrained that you have to make a determination between "buy a cooler of any kind" and "put money that would have been put into cooler, into better parts in some other category", yes, it is sufficient.

At minimum, they are more capable than the loving intel slice of extruded aluminum they've been using for over a decade now.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The way I overclock my 2600X is by having a giant Be Quiet! cooler on it and letting precision boost do its' thing.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any undervolting necessary associated with "letting PBO do its thing"?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD [expects] to see sales increase sharply in 2H19

Intel Core i5-9300H to i9-9980HK: More Specs Leaked

AMD must be making GBS threads their pants with glee.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

The X570 chipsets are designed by AMD in house as AMD's chipset partner ASMedia will not be able to tape out its PCIe Gen 4-related solutions until the end of 2019; however, ASMedia will still be responsible for designing AMD's chipsets for the mainstream sector.

B550 coming late.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That sounds less like B550 coming late, and more PCIe 4 restricted to higher-end X-series chipsets, which we surmised several months ago.
edit: I mixed up that B was the mid-range and A is the low-end. No, you're probably absolutely correct that B550 won't show up until Holiday 2019.

There's no way AMD lets this window of opportunity slip, not when they can force-feed OEMs where Intel can't right now.

A-series with PCIe 3.0 are likely shipping to OEMs ASAP to fill their beige boxes, B-series with PCIe 4 to go into mass production around holiday?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 8, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That sounds less like B550 coming late, and more PCIe 4 restricted to higher-end X-series chipsets, which we surmised several months ago.
edit: I mixed up that B was the mid-range and A is the low-end. No, you're probably absolutely correct that B550 won't show up until Holiday 2019.

There's no way AMD lets this window of opportunity slip, not when they can force-feed OEMs where Intel can't right now.

A-series with PCIe 3.0 are likely shipping to OEMs ASAP to fill their beige boxes, B-series with PCIe 4 to go into mass production around holiday?

lol @ b550 having pcie4. """mainstream""" machines don't even make pcie3 sweat

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The objective is to make intel marketing dept sweat, not the motherboards.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Malcolm XML posted:

lol @ b550 having pcie4. """mainstream""" machines don't even make pcie3 sweat

This is my assumption as well, 300/400 should support Ryzen 3000 and in the instances where high perf/enthusiasts are involved they can afford the premium for the higher end x570 chipset. From a marketing perspective they can say PCI-e 4 support on all their processors which is an easy number for consumers to understand. AMD 4, Intel 3? ok AMD is 1 betterer.

More bandwidth will be good for I/O though on the mainstream chipsets.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

incoherent posted:

The objective is to make intel marketing dept sweat, not the motherboards.

pcie4 actually needs $ pumped into the boards for signal integrity reasons so they are gonna say AMD RYZEN 3000 with PCIe 4.0*

* only on X570

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Malcolm XML posted:

pcie4 actually needs $ pumped into the boards for signal integrity reasons so they are gonna say AMD RYZEN 3000 with PCIe 4.0*

* only on X570

** only on slot 1

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sincx posted:

Does the chipset also get PCIE 4.0 to the CPU? That's a nice boost if so.

Well if it was Intel, they'd immediately chop it from four lanes of PCIe 3 to only three lanes of PCIe 4, and still hang TB 4 off of it instead of piping it straight into the CPU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
....why does it have BGA instead of contact points?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

priznat posted:

** only on slot 1

They clearly need to put in some kind of pcie3->pcie4 bridge next to the slot, so they can say all the slots are pcie4***.

*** performance may be limited by pcie3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Why 56 cores? is this supposed to compete with the 64 core Epyc?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

But remember guys to only use a pea-sized amount of paste.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

....why does it have BGA instead of contact points?

love 2 throw my $MONEY cpu in the trash when my motherboard dies. I had to double-check the date to make sure it wasn't an april fool's joke, with Cutress's gormless grin there.

edit: Seriously, though. I know that SP3/TR4 is all sorts of jank when it comes to the torque wrenches, and the carrier, and the two-stage mounting system, and having to remount the chip a few times to make sure that you get contact on every pin, but holy poo poo, I do not think this is the way to solve that problem!

edit edit: I'm sure that there will be some kind of program to ship the dead boards back to Intel or the board OEM to desolder and reball the processor before putting it onto a new board, but jesus. Are rework stations going to become a standard part of IT going forward? I'd better loving brush up on my hot air reflow skills.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 9, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

But remember guys to only use a pea-sized amount of paste.

GC's got you covered!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Am I supposed to not eat that? ^ It looks like a tub of ice cream.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ice cream is kind of a "heat sink" right?

E: At least they're not trying to run it at 5GHz like last year!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 9, 2019

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CommieGIR posted:

Why 56 cores? is this supposed to compete with the 64 core Epyc?

Two 28 cores (Intel's largest) glued together, then soldered to the motherboard.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm still waiting to see how they try to spin this at Computex.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm still waiting to see how they try to spin this at Computex.
They could say that they are glued together like their competitor's CPUs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Budzilla posted:

They could say that they are glued together like their competitor's CPUs.

Instead of calling it "glued together", Intel settled for calling the process "foveros".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I found something in the attic of my parents

I guess that's from the late 90s?