Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Lizard Combatant posted:

A good lookin' game of 40k

That squiggoth owns.

And yeah having looked at the weapon profiles on the warhound, the flamer especially just seems tailor-made to give orks the finger. Good to know since a buddy of mine has a warhound with that exact loadout so i'll need to find something to bring against it if he ever fields it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Maneck posted:

Cool looking game at set up. Unfortunately the Stompa is just bad. It's not good at the best of times, and you brought something that has a decent shot at removing it from the table turn 1.

Yeah I figured it'd die first so I was glad I rolled a 1 to shoot second and it managed to take some wounds off it.
Macro weapons are weird conceptually (they're twice as powerful against more armoured models for some reason) and I don't think they should do double damage against a Stompa or Knight.
I'd have been happy enough taking off 27 of it's 40 wounds with my below average roll, doubling it was just a spit in the face.

What I didn't expect was how ludicrous the flamer was. It felt like cheating.

The Jumpoff posted:

That squiggoth owns.

And yeah having looked at the weapon profiles on the warhound, the flamer especially just seems tailor-made to give orks the finger. Good to know since a buddy of mine has a warhound with that exact loadout so i'll need to find something to bring against it if he ever fields it...

Honestly I'm at a loss there. Ask him not to bring the flamer, it stopped being fun real quick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder how you'd fix the Stompa. Knock a lot of points off it, maybe?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder how you'd fix the Stompa. Knock a lot of points off it, maybe?

Maybe give it a save that's worth a drat?

Orks badly need a plastic anti-tank kit is my take away.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I feel like titans are meant to be balanced around the other person also having a titan, or some other equivalent. Orks have none of those, since Stompa's are pure unadulterated rear end.

Maybe i should buy a titan and orkify it and we can agree than it gets 50% more shots on its guns but hits on 5's and 6's only and gets DDD and clan cultures. :unsmigghh:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Jumpoff posted:

I feel like titans are meant to be balanced around the other person also having a titan, or some other equivalent. Orks have none of those, since Stompa's are pure unadulterated rear end.

Definitely. Although the Warhound is very expensive points wise and could be taken down by a cheaper marines or guard force pretty easily (I single them out only because I have more experience playing against them).
Lots of smaller hard hitting units would take it out with minor losses I feel, it's just a big gently caress you to melee focused armies.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 8, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Stompa can get a 5++ from a Kustom Force Field via a Big Mek with a KFF in transport. Which underscores the poor rule design for the Stompa. There's no good way to appropriately set a points value for a T8 W40 model which can take a 5++ save via another source. Either the Stompa is going to be a. overcosted when run without the save, or b. undercosted when run with the save (GW took secret option: c. overcosted in all scenarios).

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Definitely. Although the Warhound is very expensive points wise and could be taken down by a cheaper marines or guard force pretty easily (I single them out only because I have more experience playing against them).
Lots of smaller hard hitting units would take it out with minor losses I feel, it's just a big gently caress you to melee focused armies.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with balance for warhound or larger type stuff when they put out Apocalypse because I feel like balancing the 1000+ point forgeworld stuff is basically at the bottom of their list of priorities for regular 40k.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

eSportseXpert posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with balance for warhound or larger type stuff when they put out Apocalypse because I feel like balancing the 1000+ point forgeworld stuff is basically at the bottom of their list of priorities for regular 40k.
Indeed.
I like having it because I love the model, so I'd gladly accept a nerfing (that doesn't just increase it's cost) to be able to use it in 40k.
Losing the macro weapons' doubling, while keeping the lack of over-watch, would be a start. And the flamer doesn't need 4d6 shots, it just doesn't. It has three barrels, so why not 3d6? A possible 18 hits is still pretty ridiculous.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2019

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Had a great game against Orks yesterday. My first time playing against Orks since 5th edition.

Played against @ComradeQuiche on Instagram. He took this dred mob (minus the stompa).

I took my Ultramarines (which aren't done yet, so no armywide shot). It was 2 Gravis Captains, 1 Lieutenant, 1 Primaris Apothecary, 20 Intercessors with 4 Sergeants having Powerfists and 10 Hellblasters.

I set up the table like this:

We played the mission out of CA2018 that has the single objective that has an 18" capture radius that shrinks by 3" every turn. It also nullifies invulnerable saves within 12" of it. I took the bottom right corner and the Orks took the upper left.

The Ultramarines take the field.

We basically moved up and toward the center where carnage ensued. It was a really close game with the Orks taking it, 5-4. Powerfists on Sergeants do bloody good work. Some highlights:

The Killa-Kan mob:

Morkanaut:

Two of 3 Deff Dreads. There was a 3rd yellow one, but I forgot to get a picture of it.

Giants towering over other units was a running theme:

Morkanauts deepstriking with Mega Nobs inside is one of the funniest things ever.

Lost my heavy plasma incinerator Hellblasters to the Mega Nobs.

The Stormboyz did a deepstrike and tried to assault into the center ruin, but whiffed their charge.

Guilliman noticed them and ran over to cut them to pieces.

I ended up getting tabled, but it was one brutal game. By the end the only thing left was Guilliman and 2 Intercessors on my side versus his Morkanaut, 3 Meganobs and his Grot Artillery. One of my Hellblaster squads deleted a full Killa-Kan unit in a single round of shooting.

Here's Guilliman getting verbally assaulted as he destroyed the red Killa Kan unit.

Lastly, a fun posed shot of our warlords squaring off at the very end. They didn't actually fight, but we wanted to pose them together.

I killed his Warlord with an Intercessor Sergeant, and I think he killed mine with the Deff Dread.

Overall, great game with a cool guy. Had plenty of funny moments, like his Killa Kans rolling 3 6's to his with the Rockets into Guilliman to finish him off, then rolling three 1's for wounding.

Gonna play his AdMech vs my Death Guard next.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Indeed.
I like having it because I love the model, so I'd gladly accept a nerfing (that doesn't just increase it's cost) to be able to use it in 40k.
Losing the macro weapons' doubling, while keeping the lack of over-watch, would be a start. And the flamer doesn't need 4d6 shots, it just doesn't. It has three barrels, so why not 3d6? A possible 18 hits is still pretty ridiculous.

Macro weapon doubling makes a lot of sense though, since it means you can balance a weapon to shoot at big targets while not having them make smaller vehicles completely irrelevant. Nerf the flamer a bit and the warhound is perfectly fine, it will lose to 2k points of almost any balanced list in the game.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Had a great game against Orks yesterday.

You sure did.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Morkanauts deepstriking with Mega Nobs inside is one of the funniest things ever.

Awesome.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Booley posted:

Macro weapon doubling makes a lot of sense though, since it means you can balance a weapon to shoot at big targets while not having them make smaller vehicles completely irrelevant. Nerf the flamer a bit and the warhound is perfectly fine, it will lose to 2k points of almost any balanced list in the game.

Fair enough.

I'll take the pretty underwhelming plasma gun next time against his Orks. It's macro too so I'll have no overwatch at all.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fair enough.

I'll take the pretty underwhelming plasma gun next time against his Orks. It's macro too so I'll have no overwatch at all.

I wish the main game used macro instead of just fw, it would make it easier to balance knights apart from normal vehicles.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Booley posted:

I wish the main game used macro instead of just fw, it would make it easier to balance knights apart from normal vehicles.

I was about to say, "what about the shadowsword?" but that's not actually macro is it? It just rerolls wounds for titanic vehicles or something?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I have the exact opposite Warhound loadout - plasma and mega-bolter - and I think it's probably so much shittier that the best way to balance the thing might be to put points costs on the guns? I'll find out for sure this weekend when I go against 2 1000 point Ork armies that had plenty of advance notice to plan their strats against it, but I honestly don't expect it to do as well as Lizard Combatant's, just based on the guns I put on it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

I have the exact opposite Warhound loadout - plasma and mega-bolter - and I think it's probably so much shittier that the best way to balance the thing might be to put points costs on the guns? I'll find out for sure this weekend when I go against 2 1000 point Ork armies that had plenty of advance notice to plan their strats against it, but I honestly don't expect it to do as well as Lizard Combatant's, just based on the guns I put on it.

It's funny because that's actually a really good AT loadout.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, titans don't have differing point totals per weapon?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Wait, titans don't have differing point totals per weapon?

Not in 40k. They're not designed for serious games, and who gives a poo poo about minor points differences for apocalypse.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Booley posted:

Not in 40k. They're not designed for serious games, and who gives a poo poo about minor points differences for apocalypse.

This is probably the most correct take on attempting to balance 40k Titans.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I've been wondering about the Punishing Volley stratagem from the new Devastation Battery detachment in Vigilus Ablaze. The text reads:

Am I then allowed to use Stratagems on the firing unit that I can use during the shooting phase? The idea of using VotLW and Endless Cacophony on a Havoc unit shooting in my opponents turn seems vicious as gently caress. I've been digging around FAQs but can't seem to find any answer.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

spacegoat posted:

fwiw I asked after the other out of stock sets and was told that they're not coming back.

Well curses. I should have bought it when I saw it physically.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

adamantium|wang posted:

So I've been wondering about the Punishing Volley stratagem from the new Devastation Battery detachment in Vigilus Ablaze. The text reads:

Am I then allowed to use Stratagems on the firing unit that I can use during the shooting phase? The idea of using VotLW and Endless Cacophony on a Havoc unit shooting in my opponents turn seems vicious as gently caress. I've been digging around FAQs but can't seem to find any answer.

No. "As if it were your shooting phase" is so that modifiers that you or your opponent have still apply. You use the Punishing Volley strat -> it resolves -> you attempt to use Endless Cacophony -> it doesn't go off because It's not the end of your shooting phase.

EDIT: VotLW it depends on timing. If it says at the beginning of your shooting phase, then no. If it says after you select a unit to shoot during the shooting phase, then yes.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 8, 2019

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
All this titan talk is hitting home because i've been buried in the old Epic 40k 2nd Edition rules trying to hash out a datasheet for an Ork Gargant from those old rules (both for comedy value and as a fun "why the hell not" experiment) and i think the funniest thing to me is that in Epic 40k, 3 Stompa's is 25 points less than a Warhound titan. In 8th Ed they'd be 700 points more. :v:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I honestly think the best option at this time isn’t to run a Stompa, but instead a bunch of kill tanks.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

I honestly think the best option at this time isn’t to run a Stompa, but instead a bunch of kill tanks.

I don't know what the right answer is, but the Stompa is the wrong one if the goal is to kill a titan. Or win.

That said, I've been slagging the Stompa because of its bad rules and that misses something important. By having awful rules, the Stompa becomes pinnacle of 40k. A ridiculous, gigantic ball of thematically appropriate stupidity that costs half an army unto itself. Dropping it on the table is a way to signal, "I'm here to drink beer and roll stupid amounts of dice, and I don't care what the rules are." Any one dropping one is a hero.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So all this new Chaos stuff looks amazing and has me thinking about starting up a small chaos war band of my own. Is a melee focused CSM viable/fun army to play? I’ve always loved the flavor behind the Hounds of Abbadon and this release is hitting that itch pretty hard.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
As an Irish man who happens to be a goon and a Simpsons fan, this thread keeps coming up Milhouse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lizard Combatant posted:

Dude we just got like 6 different buggies what more could you want? Geez

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey I don't play those green bastards, if you're happy that's fine by me.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

LingcodKilla posted:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

To be fair, the Daemon stuff is also for AOS, as is that Khorne terrain piece. And the Slaanesh stuff isn't even out yet (excepting the W&R set bits). That pic also includes the wildlife from Warcry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lol

...sobs quietly...

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey I don't play those green bastards, if you're happy that's fine by me.

He's joking and probably agrees with you. The background is that the thread has a groggy mean girls brigade that got seriously twisted up over people expressing mild disappointment with Orktober. This included months of of trashing Lingcodkilla itt on the basis he said GW was making conversions illegal, a thing he didn't remotely say.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

This post is as bad as your avatar dude.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Orktober continues in our hearts

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Broke: Recognising that Orktober was over-hyped, but getting a top-tier codex, 6 vehicle kits, scenery and a whole board game is more than a lot of factions get.

Woke: Never let it go, poo poo your pants about it any opportunity. Share obvious troll images a gospel truth.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Broke: Recognising that Orktober was over-hyped, but getting a top-tier codex, 6 vehicle kits, scenery and a whole board game is more than a lot of factions get.

Woke: Never let it go, poo poo your pants about it any opportunity. Share obvious troll images a gospel truth.

:hmmyes:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Maneck posted:

The background is that the thread has a groggy mean girls brigade that got seriously twisted up over people expressing mild disappointment with Orktober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

On Tuesdays we make illegal conversions