Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etown
Mar 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s always important to remember that Comcast give you two overages in a rolling 12 month period, I usually space them out around every 6 months or so.

when they implemented that, my first two months were both over. my bad. either offer fast connection or dont but can't hedge one against the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s always important to remember that Comcast give you two overages in a rolling 12 month period, I usually space them out around every 6 months or so.

Is it every 12 months? I thought it was just in general.

I went over my limit one month by putting a new hard drive on my PS4 and downloading a ton of PSPlus games and not thinking about the data limits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Etown posted:

when they implemented that, my first two months were both over. my bad. either offer fast connection or dont but can't hedge one against the other.

Yeah it’s crummy for sure. Back in the UK on Virgin they used a bit of traffic shaping and rate limiting in peak hours on my 200mbit line that was cheaper than here. No caps and no morning about the ridiculous usage we racked up over the years.

Astro7x posted:

Is it every 12 months? I thought it was just in general.

I went over my limit one month by putting a new hard drive on my PS4 and downloading a ton of PSPlus games and not thinking about the data limits.

It’s definitely rolling 12, I thought it was just year 1 too but I kept my eye on it and it resets itself. They really don’t word it in your favor. I’m almost on my 3rd year of my contract here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Croatoan posted:

I'm curious. I just downgraded to internet only with Comcast. I wonder what they charge in different areas for the same service. I am now paying $69.98/month for 150mbps down. Anyone?

$110/month for 300mbps + mandatory non-HD cable is the lowest they'd go for me. The best part is they told me the plan was something like $50 a month so the rest is fees.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

$110/month for 300mbps + mandatory non-HD cable is the lowest they'd go for me. The best part is they told me the plan was something like $50 a month so the rest is fees.

that's nuts, you should see if you can get the complete Comcast price sheet for your zip code. Sometimes there's like a 75mbps + HBO bundle for $80/month, it varies wildly by area though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those that didn't know (ie like me until the other day because I usually blind delete marketing emails), Roku is doing a special where you can add Showtime, EPIX and Starz for 30 days at no cost, expires Sunday.

For those that do know - do the cancellations work in a nice way, ie I can now safely cancel all of these and not lose service?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

For those that didn't know (ie like me until the other day because I usually blind delete marketing emails), Roku is doing a special where you can add Showtime, EPIX and Starz for 30 days at no cost, expires Sunday.

For those that do know - do the cancellations work in a nice way, ie I can now safely cancel all of these and not lose service?

It's easy to cancel, additional subs show up under your account on the Roku site and it's pretty much a one-click deal. They'll send you a confirmation email. I did it for the Hallmark channel last year when they did their promo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what is the best way to watch and record local channels if that is all I am interested in? I am fine with getting an antenna and a set top box if it means I am done once I purchase everything

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Astro7x posted:

So what is the best way to watch and record local channels if that is all I am interested in? I am fine with getting an antenna and a set top box if it means I am done once I purchase everything

Aereo :rip:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Astro7x posted:

There's a number of OTA DVRs on the market like Tablo, Tivo, Channel Master and even the new Fire TV Recast but a lot of these boxes have subscriptions attached due to ongoing license fees for guide data.

You might be able to find some pricier boxes that include lifetime guide data or you can buy a tuner and use Plex on your own PC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Astro7x posted:

A TiVo with a lifetime subscription.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Antenna, HD HomeRun Connect, and PLEX with PLEXPass.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Tivo OTA: https://www.tivo.com/products/ota-detail

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Cool... lots of stuff to look into.

Basically I was able to get a DirecTV receiver from my brother from where he lives on his account, which has everything except local channels.

Doing some research, it looks like I can buy a used AM21 receiver, which allows me to plug in an antenna and potentially add my locals back into the guide and work with the DVR

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Cool... lots of stuff to look into.

Basically I was able to get a DirecTV receiver from my brother from where he lives on his account, which has everything except local channels.

Doing some research, it looks like I can buy a used AM21 receiver, which allows me to plug in an antenna and potentially add my locals back into the guide and work with the DVR

Those old receivers still work on the newer satellites? I haven't heard of anyone using an AM21 in like a decade.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

fuboTV added Series Recording To its DVR. This missing feature was a major reason I didn't use them as my main source of channels, I may have to re-evaluate my services

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/fubotv-adds-series-recording-to-its-dvr/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a good overview of what channels you can get with a borrowed Cable/Satellite login from a paying friend or family member?

Like, is it completely dumb to pay for Hulu if I can just download the apps for all the channels on my Roku and watch the on demand channels through that? Are there channels that don't offer their content that are only avaialble by paying for X service? Suppose.tv doesn't really factor that into what you can get.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Unless they've changed recently, AMC does not offer much via their app. They want you to sub to their Premiere service.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Astro7x posted:

Is there a good overview of what channels you can get with a borrowed Cable/Satellite login from a paying friend or family member?

Like, is it completely dumb to pay for Hulu if I can just download the apps for all the channels on my Roku and watch the on demand channels through that? Are there channels that don't offer their content that are only avaialble by paying for X service? Suppose.tv doesn't really factor that into what you can get.

I do this. There's no way to get an "overview" only because different cable and satellite companies have different packages so unless you've got access to someone who just gets the biggest package it'd depend on what's offered. The only content I've found myself using though is Disney and Nickelodeon for the kids. I suppose any Discovery properties could be tempting to you. Otherwise I 100% recommend Hulu especially if you pay for the no-ad tier.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Croatoan posted:

I do this. There's no way to get an "overview" only because different cable and satellite companies have different packages so unless you've got access to someone who just gets the biggest package it'd depend on what's offered. The only content I've found myself using though is Disney and Nickelodeon for the kids. I suppose any Discovery properties could be tempting to you. Otherwise I 100% recommend Hulu especially if you pay for the no-ad tier.

The login I am using is subscribed to absolutely everything.

So I have three TVs in my home, each with a Roku. One TV will have a DirecTV receiver on it with a DVR, but no local channels (since the DVR is from an another account out of state). I need to get this special box and an antenna plugged into it to get the locals added as part of the guide and to do DVR capabilities. I'm thinking about adding a Tivo w/ antenna to the second TV to record and watch locals, and then just use the roku app + DirecTV login for all the cable shows on demand. Then doing the third TV as just Roku w/ DirecTV Login Apps. I think in this set up, all I would be paying for is the Tivo subscription, Tivo Box, and antenna costs. So very cheap and pretty much gets me everything. The majority of stuff I personally watch is on the local channels, so I think it's worth having the Tivo in the second room with an antenna.

I started trying all the trials for the different Live TV streaming services just to mess with them and see if any of them are worth the cost for the convenience. Was extremely frustrated with Playstation Vue last night, since I was trying to tune in late to a live 3 hour show and was switching devices. So my options were to View Live or Start From Beginning, and every time you started from the beginning you had to slowly fast forward to where you left off. The service wasn't smart enough to continue where I left off on another device during a live show. Then my remote fell off my elliptical when working out and went back a menu, and then I had to fast forward all over again to get back to where I left off. I've also noticed that the performance of PS Vue varies greatly depending on which device I use. The cheaper Roku devices we have makes skipping through a 3 minute commercial difficult and frustrating, no issues with the PS4 or Roku Ultra.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

phosdex posted:

Unless they've changed recently, AMC does not offer much via their app. They want you to sub to their Premiere service.

I am pretty sure (at least last time I looked) their Premiere services doesn't even offer everything they have. Last time I tried it you couldn't stream The Terror, or older stuff like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Urg I still need to see The Terror.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Just got an in-app push that YouTube tv is going up to $50/mo. I’ve been paying $35 and will absolutely not pay $50. Might give FuboTV a go and see if it’s decent.

edit: lol just saw they are up to $55/mo too. man, all I want is sports. Is there anything competitive right now?

edit 2: already have Hulu, might give Hulu + Live TV a go.

ScooterMcTiny fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 10, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

nate fisher posted:

I am pretty sure (at least last time I looked) their Premiere services doesn't even offer everything they have. Last time I tried it you couldn't stream The Terror, or older stuff like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Urg I still need to see The Terror.

You do, it is so good. The book is amazing also.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LoL all the Cable With Buffering outfits are getting more expensive than just adding TV that doesn't count against your limit to your internet service.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

LoL all the Cable With Buffering outfits are getting more expensive than just adding TV that doesn't count against your limit to your internet service.

It’s really nuts. The only thing that saves them is no contracts + no “regional network fees” and the nonsense that takes an advertised $49.99/mo cable plan and turns it into $75 a month after taxes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cable really went wild with the fees after everyone but MMA weirds and wrestling fans stopped using PPV.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still have a $25/month discount going with Dish till September that has my bill down to $93/month, but after that, I still have no idea. I have tried out Hulu+LiveTV for a week and might go with them for a while since besides the annoying guide it was great and I am already paying them $12/mo to get through S2 of the Handmaid's Tale and a few other TV shows. I have TV's in 3 rooms with 2 ATV4k's and a Shield for the office (mostly so I can use DishAnywhere app).

The sad inevitable truth is the absolute cheapest way is to go to Xfinity TV since I already pay them $65/mo for 150mbs internet service. If I am feeling bold I might go for the Xfinity Cable Card route + TivoBolt Vox DVR ($300 up front) etc and try to get a few tv's up and running.

I subscribe to everything else separately (HBO, Prime, Netflix, Starz, PBS) so that obviously also adds up and has 5 different interfaces to deal with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

edit: lol just saw they are up to $55/mo too. man, all I want is sports. Is there anything competitive right now?

Sports is the reason why you are paying so much. It's a huge amount of the carriage agreement costs and drives up the price for everyone else.

Streaming providers still provide better quality than any cable company right now. That said, I have very little use for linear TV at all anymore and would save even more money just buying shows outright.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Sports is the reason why you are paying so much. It's a huge amount of the carriage agreement costs and drives up the price for everyone else.

Streaming providers still provide better quality than any cable company right now. That said, I have very little use for linear TV at all anymore and would save even more money just buying shows outright.

Yea but YouTubeTV just justified a $10-$15/mo price hike just for discovery networks. I don’t care about any of that. I want ESPN, FS1, NBC Sports, etc and will happily pay $30/mo for sports plus DVR which is what I thought Fubo used to be. But I guess they are bundling more now as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Or maybe YouTube had to increase costs to cover other increases so they added in the networks to soften the blow. It's hard to say.

ESPN alone is $7.21 (as of 2017) per subscriber that virtually everyone is forced to pay in order to get the Disney networks too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm so glad my DTV Now plan is still being grandfathered in. Even after the price the hike it's only 35 bucks after my ATT discount. Makes it seem like the bargain of the century.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That sucks. I have zero interest in all of those channels added to YTTV

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those were the channels keeping me from YouTube TV but lol @ thebprice.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Since I mainly watch hockey I'll drop YTTV until winter and figure out who has the best deal then.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So, with youtube tv taking a big price hike, I'd definitely save some money by just switching to Hulu for live tv. The reason why I've resisted it so far was because: 1) the price of yttv + non-live-Hulu was about the same as Hulu live (obviously not the case right now); 2) the video quality of Hulu's live tv streams and their DVR was total poo poo when I had tried it out when it launched about 2 years ago.

For anybody here that has Hulu live, do you have any complaints about those things these days?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

trem_two posted:

So, with youtube tv taking a big price hike, I'd definitely save some money by just switching to Hulu for live tv. The reason why I've resisted it so far was because: 1) the price of yttv + non-live-Hulu was about the same as Hulu live (obviously not the case right now); 2) the video quality of Hulu's live tv streams and their DVR was total poo poo when I had tried it out when it launched about 2 years ago.

For anybody here that has Hulu live, do you have any complaints about those things these days?

I just finished a trial of Hulu TV and had also done a trial around when the service launched (I’ve basically trial/deal hopped around the streaming TV services when needed). And not much has changed. The stream quality was complete poo poo and is the only service I’ve tried in the past year or so that ever had consistent buffering problems. Also, the guide and interface are still garbage. I was extremely unimpressed and wouldn’t want to pay what they are charging given the quality of the service. JMHO :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to have to disagree here. I've had them all, several times in fact, and Hulu TV has either the best quality streams or very closely tied with DirecTV Now.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Looks like I'm actually eligible for another week long free trial for Hulu live, the last time I checked I wasn't. So I guess I'll just give it a go for a week. I appreciate the input though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah what is the opposite of cutting cable because I think the weekly Spectrum 12 month mailer offers I have been getting are actually cheaper than YTTV now after the increase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah what is the opposite of cutting cable because I think the weekly Spectrum 12 month mailer offers I have been getting are actually cheaper than YTTV now after the increase

Laying cable