Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I'm sure the only reason it hasn't been mentioned yet is because everyone who was involved wanted to scrub it from their memories, but NSDM was loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Double Agent posted:

I'm sure the only reason it hasn't been mentioned yet is because everyone who was involved wanted to scrub it from their memories, but NSDM was loving awful.

i had suppresseddrank away those memories until just now you absolute fucker

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 9, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I remember you all being so excited for that, dreams of Goon Fuckery dashed upon the rock of Serious Business

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My wife and I mistakenly ended up in a D20 Star Wars game (we were looking for an FFG one and...missed) one year that was awful. We excused ourselves about 45 minutes in because we both knew that doing virtually anything else (to include "nothing" or "sleep") would be a better expenditure of our time.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Deviant posted:

i had suppresseddrank away those memories until just now you absolute fucker

On the bright side, it means that you can drink them away again!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Double Agent posted:

Oh, what happened? I remember thinking that sounded like fun.

E: *checks watch* This was like 2012. I definitely wouldn’t bother doing it in the age of trump.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If anyone has high risk evening activity for Gen Con this year (high risk as in it could only be amazing or hilariously bad) let me know. I feel like I could use something like that to relax one of these evenings after running a booth all day.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My friend who came last year mentioned that they were propositioned by some half dressed nerds holding balloons outside of a hotel room, one of them turned to him and said "Your turn?" and pointed toward a half closed door. He ran along cause we were all playing Sigrada but if we run into it again this year I'll let you know Nesbit

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

The staff was unpleasant, unhelpful, and grognards to boot. Some of the positions were hamstrung by what they could do and/or were really dependent on other players getting their stuff done so they could actually do something. Since the staff was dogshit, you can guess how well that went. After a bit, I channeled my inner Ventrue and played it like a World of Darkness game until I got bored. A lot of us left early.

DalaranJ posted:

E: *checks watch* This was like 2012. I definitely wouldn’t bother doing it in the age of trump.

The scenario was during the Cold War in the 60's, so that wouldn't have much of an impact really.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Tournaments are a bad time. Demos and auctions and drinking and staring at all the glorious poo poo I shouldn't buy-- that's where it's at

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you want to play mini's based tournaments go to Adepticon. It's all that convention is about, and if you like those things its a blast. But yeah, unless its some ridiculously obscure game tourny or a joke tourny or something skip them at Gen Con.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Double Agent posted:

My biggest issue was when I specifically asked the GM for some ideas or directions on what to do and his reply was basically do whatever. He was almost offended that I would ask such a thing.

I got the impression that the other GM's weren't as big of assholes, but it has 100% soured it for me and I will do nothing but bitch about it when it's brought up.

DalaranJ posted:

Basically we Goonrushed it thinking we'd be able to get up to some fun. Sadly the GM for the Americans was an absolute grognard. Anything that was suggested that was even slightly out of what he wanted was shot down. Highlight was the VP of the US walking out and going to the bar.

Backno fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 9, 2019

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
For me, probably the L5R opening tourney. I enjoyed the game well enough, but the tournament was a mess. FFG was running an x-wing event at the same time, and those folks looked similarly exhausted.

It wasn't even that it was that bad, (I even got an award!) it's just that everything else was better!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

A dear friend got into that tourney and it ruined GenCon for him. :(

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I have had the opposite experience with tournament games, but I'm pretty choosy. The missus and I had a blast in the Pandemic tournament last year (almost won, too), and the "Friday Night Firefight" Infinity Tournament is always a good time. But neither is frequented by WAAC try-hards, so that's probably the bulk of the reason for my overall positive experiences.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I had a friend who came a few years and constantly asked if we should go catch a film at the local theater which just seemed like the most enormous waste of GenCon time ever.
I understand the impulse on some level, ... well, not to constantly ask, but if there is actually something right up everyone's alley that none of your gang has seen and it is already out by the week of the show, I feel like there are definitely worse things to do on Wednesday. Well... maybe not now that we have Shot Wednesday for the drinkies. But I feel like we saw Ant-Man at Gen-Con 2015 because half of us had not seen it yet and that was ... fun???

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My friend who came last year mentioned that they were propositioned by some half dressed nerds holding balloons outside of a hotel room, one of them turned to him and said "Your turn?" and pointed toward a half closed door. He ran along cause we were all playing Sigrada but if we run into it again this year I'll let you know Nesbit
Your friend is dead in nearly every other alternate universe because of the half-closed balloon door

WerrWaaa posted:

A dear friend got into that tourney and it ruined GenCon for him. :(
Oh no!!! What happened :(

I was tempted to quote this, the most amazing back-and-forth on the Gen-Con Forums in 2018, but I think the original context will make it more enjoyable. I cannot even hate these guys, they are just totally into their own kind of powergaming minutiae that others do not understand. At least it eventually involves the phrase "roll the dice!"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
My worst gencon experience is always 3 weeks after GC trying to reconcile all my impulse buys and alcohol with my budget

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I think its a play by forum rpg? This is a move out of the “Can i see your manager” playbook of the apocalypse world hack: Actual World.

If you roll + bougie you can harass the waitstaff and choose one: impress your rich friends later with an anecdote, trigger the libs, or see their manager.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

All Zinfandels do taste the same: bad, just like every other grape-based wine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Backno posted:

Highlight was the VP of the US, the president, the head of SAC, and the speaker of the house walking out and going to the bar, with me dropping all 4 titles on some rando at once.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I understand the impulse on some level, ... well, not to constantly ask, but if there is actually something right up everyone's alley that none of your gang has seen and it is already out by the week of the show, I feel like there are definitely worse things to do on Wednesday. Well... maybe not now that we have Shot Wednesday for the drinkies. But I feel like we saw Ant-Man at Gen-Con 2015 because half of us had not seen it yet and that was ... fun???

Sure a Wednesday, maybe. But a Friday? Or, god forbid, a Saturday??

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Sure a Wednesday, maybe. But a Friday? Or, god forbid, a Saturday??
my god

Now I understand. What...what if someone skipped T.O.V.A. to watch Hobbs and Shaw

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh snap, I already made plans to go there this summer, I need to remember this. Though somehow I doubt my 2-year-old will get much out of it. He can just take the car and go somewhere else while I am at Wizard Quest.

Remember the GroupMe - don't do a child abuse.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Dr. Quarex posted:

You messed up now, SolusLunes, oh, you betcha; you told the son of a Yooper that Mio is Northern Michigan

Gonna take a bite of this Trenary Toast and bust a pasty across your face. What? No, ugh, come on you guys, you know I am talking about the traditional miner's lunch

look you numpty it is

there's southern michigan
there's northern michigan
and then there's the up

you can tell where you are by the amount of Discount Canadians around, yes you, the yoopers

I STAND BY THIS STATEMENT

no but seriously, what was NSDM?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

SolusLunes posted:

look you numpty it is

and then there's the up

Don't forget the nebulous Up North, which is technically anywhere north of where you live, but is generally accepted to mean staring around Houghton Lake.

SolusLunes posted:

National Security Decision Making game. You're given a political position within whatever governments are being used in that particular scenario and try to achieve the goals that are set out in the game. It's a political LARP basically.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
After seeing the true dungeon stuff they did to show off in the PAX South video, I was super interested.

After all this discussion making GBS threads on it, my expectations are tempered. If there is a goon group going, I'd love to join.

It's my first Gencon so I figure I should do something exotic. Well besides critical role live.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
WIll this be the year I finally try the battletech pods? I HOPE SO!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
True Dungeon is fun, it just isnt enough fun for the money it demands.

Despite the fact that they still run on Mech Warrior 2 the Battletech Pods are still awesome.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Play TD once with a group you know, then decide. It can run the gamut from a ton of fun to being completely awful, and the folks you're playing with make the difference. Don't buy tokens outside of the run unless you really enjoy it, and pay attention to the colors of the tokens you get during it - blue, purple, orange, and green colored stuff can mean you've paid off part of your trip.

Also, i saw someone talking dark age earlier - if you bring an army i could throw down with k3 or forsaken.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'd also maybe add another caveat to True Dungeon; do it on Thursday or Friday, if you can. We did a run on late Saturday afternoon and half of the room GMs had already lost their voice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I would still encourage anyone who thinks True Dungeon sounds amazing to give it a shot if dropping $80 or whatever is not going to seriously impact your budget. I am like prime target for the extravagant overspending but I find myself spending more on dinner than on actual stuff at G-C these days.

Still disappointed in myself for buying a Lich and discovering that even playing that deck a dozen times I only got to play the card when I asked my opponent to let me live long enough to play it for funsies. drat you, Blue Players

SolusLunes posted:

look you numpty it is

and then there's the up

I can believe that, considering the geographically illiterate people who call Central California "Northern California" and then just stare blankly when I ask what part of the state Humboldt County is in (I actually believe they literally call it "Humboldt," good job). Discount Canadians is a good band name though.

NSDM and True Dungeon have pretty similar love/hate dynamics from the feedback I have read too.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

NSDM should be good, but the people running it have a devotion to accuracy that greatly hinders the game, and there's little to no guidance on how to actually do things, so people who play it all the time at different events are at a strong advantage.

The games with fewer players are better (the Doomsday game that runs on either Friday or Saturday at midnight and only has 5 players per country is fine - it's basically just the moderators trying to see if they can instigate a nuclear war between the players).

Honestly, if you like that sort of thing, I'd probably recommend looking at Mega Games (like Watch the Skies). Groups have started running those at Gen Con, and they're probably more fun than NSDM. I played Watch the Skies a couple of times locally and it was cool, but the ones at Gen Con tend to be pretty pricey. (And sometimes run like aaaaaalllll day.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CellBlock posted:

NSDM should be good, but the people running it have a devotion to accuracy that greatly hinders the game, and there's little to no guidance on how to actually do things, so people who play it all the time at different events are at a strong advantage.

The games with fewer players are better (the Doomsday game that runs on either Friday or Saturday at midnight and only has 5 players per country is fine - it's basically just the moderators trying to see if they can instigate a nuclear war between the players).

Honestly, if you like that sort of thing, I'd probably recommend looking at Mega Games (like Watch the Skies). Groups have started running those at Gen Con, and they're probably more fun than NSDM. I played Watch the Skies a couple of times locally and it was cool, but the ones at Gen Con tend to be pretty pricey. (And sometimes run like aaaaaalllll day.)

Paging OB_Juan to talk about how a national security//this-is-the-war-room/strangelove game SHOULD be run and/or played in.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but I got some killer deals buying used board games from people on Facebook and picking them up at GenCon instead of shipping. A fringe benefit of a bajillion gamers all on the same city block from around the country. Keep an eye on those online buy-sell-trade groups as GC19 approaches.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Since I'm summoned....

We used to run the Paranoia LARP at Megacon. The way we did it, we had so many people con staff asked us to run a second larp every year to justify the number of free badges we got.

One of the games we ran as our "B-LARP" was a Dr. Strangelove/Call of Cthulu game.

Imagine the War Room scene, but in addition to what was already going on, we added a bunch of Mythos stuff to the situation. Cultists, Agents, and beings of unfathomable purpose masquerading as various generals and ministers advising the President while the situation outside got worse and worse.

I've kicked around the idea of running an evening goon (or goon-adjacent) only run of this one of these years.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

We can always organize goon games.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Are all tourneys at gencon a bad idea truly?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tenasscity posted:

Are all tourneys at gencon a bad idea truly?

If you really like the game and want to spend a serious amount of time playing it instead of doing literally anything else or you're a MtG Pro who makes their living playing MtG then they're worth it.

I've never been able to justify spending multiple 4-8 hour blocks playing the same thing at Gen Con because that's time I could be demo'ing a half-dozen things in the dealer hall or at Games on Demand trying new RPGs.

The one tournament I did play in was the first (and only) Cookie-Fu tournament, which, due to the game's utter lack of popularity was just me and the other five people from my FLGS who played the game.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I did the blood bowl tourney 2 or 3 years. It was a lot of fun, but it ate the entire Saturday that year and I had some serious FOMO.

I've had more fun with smaller tournaments that are more like short special events. In 2012 or 2013 Mayfair held the worlda largest game of catan that had something like 500 players on the same endless board and was essentially a tournament. It took like 3 or 4 hours on, I think, Friday night, was a lot of fun and didn't leave me wondering what else I was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Here is a shot of part of the table I was seated at for that Catan game/tournament. It was 2013, and had 1,000 players.