Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think my favorite proof of the rich being just as dumb or dumber than normal people is that early investor in theranos that shows up in the documentary wearing a loving bitcoin tie (and at some conference he said he'd still invest in a company holmes was a part of if she was say chief science officer). these assholes get lucky once and think they're geniuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

gently caress that's good (edit: the Heeeere's Johnny tea girl vid)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1115297988086239233

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1115364026480041984?s=19

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/tlmnlpstz/status/1115374170630705154

E: oh yeah good moment to ask, what is Taleb's like day job or claim to fame? I know he's a weirdo with insane ethnic theories but why does anyone know him?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 9, 2019

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
he's a stats and stock markets guy. I think his book The Black Swan was what him a public name.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
his diet is 75% squid ink. this is the source of his power.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I was just looking him up and he's an economic theorist. I have no idea where his obsession with genetics and haplogroups comes from.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He writes formal papers.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmaooooo at Nate silver haha

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I asked them to talk about anime and make Matt watch K-On in the reddit thread. I hope my wish has been fulfilled

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, didn't there used to be a chapo thread in CSPAM? What happened to it?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

icantfindaname posted:

Also, didn't there used to be a chapo thread in CSPAM? What happened to it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877054 ?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ah yes, that one. never mind me

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Snatched Nate's hairplugs, drat

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I was just looking him up and he's an economic theorist. I have no idea where his obsession with genetics and haplogroups comes from.

His job is basically to churn papers/books/etc out. He ran out of ways to do economic theory after like five hundred different versions of the same stuff so now he's gotta measure how turkish a city is or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Fooled by Randomness" was a good book. It's weird that the guy who wrote it became a race scientist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea his stats stuff is actually kinda legit, so it sucks that he went insane but welp that's life in this bitch of a world

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think my favorite proof of the rich being just as dumb or dumber than normal people is that early investor in theranos that shows up in the documentary wearing a loving bitcoin tie (and at some conference he said he'd still invest in a company holmes was a part of if she was say chief science officer). these assholes get lucky once and think they're geniuses.

Tim Draper is a goddamned buffoon and it should be constantly mentioned that while he's a "venture capitalist" he's third generation rich and has made almost no money himself.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

In WWE, they ran a storyline where Vince McMahon was forced to sell the company to Donald Trump and their stock prices immediately crashed because shareholders thought it was real.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

In WWE, they ran a storyline where Vince McMahon was forced to sell the company to Donald Trump and their stock prices immediately crashed because shareholders thought it was real.

I think you mean he sold it to Ric Flair

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea his stats stuff is actually kinda legit, so it sucks that he went insane but welp that's life in this bitch of a world

There’s no money in sanity.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1115471835188035584

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1115472058266337280

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I really like listening to Amber answer listener questions. She's sensible and reassuring, but doesn't feel like she's just bullshitting. :allears:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bar Crow posted:

There’s no money in sanity.

he's made hundreds of millions of dollars as a trader and hedge fund manager. I don't think the race science stuff is meant to be profitable

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Tim Draper is a goddamned buffoon and it should be constantly mentioned that while he's a "venture capitalist" he's third generation rich and has made almost no money himself.

yeah both his grandad and dad founded venture capital firms. i think he claims in tthe documentary he was an early investor in skype but that was actually his dad. also spent 5 mil on that initiative to split california into three states lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As near as I can tell, Taleb made a bunch of money in the stock market, decided he was an expert on some concepts like "antifragility" that he made up, and is now qualified to speak publicly about anything and everything to which he can kinda-sorta apply these concepts, from climate change to weightlifting.

The bizarre thing is that he claims to despise public intellectuals even though he obviously is one. Some reviewer for Bloomberg put it best when he moaned "Why do hedge fund managers seek to be seen as philosopher-kings?"

Matt Taibbi posted:

Nobody thought it was odd when a baseball statistics guru, Nate Silver, became a godlike figure in the campaign bubble and America’s foremost expert on what was going on in the heartland.
I have nothing personal against Nate Silver—I was a big fan back in his Baseball Prospectus days—but elevating a bespectacled sabermetrics geek to the role of Nostradamus of middle American attitudes speaks volumes about where the country’s political elite was at, mentally, heading into this campaign season.

Even in baseball there’s value in looking beyond the numbers and seeing and talking to a player in person. But trying the Moneyball approach in politics is insanity. Reducing people to stats in politics is both a strategic and moral error of breathtaking proportions. Elections may be about winning and losing, but they are not a game—except, sadly, to the people who leading into this campaign season made electioneering their business.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 9, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The Daou of Peter is complete

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1115593007854694400

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Rules

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

The Daou of Peter is complete

quote:

The majority of Americans agree with progressive positions, and Democratic leaders must finally learn to speak in clear, moral language. To speak of right and wrong. To have the courage of their convictions. To counter the GOP’s inhumane policies. To fight back with the determination and intensity required in this fraught moment.

Not a day goes by without a concern-trolling mainstream pundit admonishing Democrats not to move “too far left.” Oddly, these political “experts” never seem to care about the Republican Party’s lurch to the far right. The stale myth of a reasonable “center”—the false equivalence that seeking universal health care is as extreme as coddling neo-Nazis—has got to end.

For me, going left is going back to core American values and principles. Freedom of speech. Fairness. Justice for all. Common sense solutions to the scourge of gun violence. Putting an end to extreme inequality. Protecting the environment. And on and on.

:hellyeah:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1115616810412519425?s=19

Gonna be paying $5 so I can get the bonus episodes where he talks about his favorite episodes of animes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1115616810412519425?s=19

Gonna be paying $5 so I can get the bonus episodes where he talks about his favorite episodes of animes.

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1115618392986267648

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jonas Albrecht posted:

With this recent spate of disappointing statements from him, I'd bet he's just super normie and has only seen Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

With this recent spate of disappointing statements from him, I'd bet he's just super normie and has only seen Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online

Bernie I'm begging you watch Initial D.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm voting for the politican who was posting S.E. Lain fan theories in 2003. Harris, post your livejournal publiclly.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i like don and tom's show

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Moby Dick and the Brothers Karamazov are two books I dreaded when i was assigned them And i ended up absolutely in love with them.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought their answer to whether people should have kids was, dare I say it, pretty bourgeois. They seemed to confuse the inevitably of people having kids in all sorts of circumstances (the vast majority of which, historically, involved absolutely no say in the matter on the woman's part) with the issue of whether, as an individual, one might have very reasonable qualms about bringing a person into being during a particular set of circumstances.

Also talking about "historical perspective"--the whole point of global warming is that there is no perspective, and no context. It appears to be unlike anything in human history, which at the end of the day shouldn't be that unlikely or surprising given how short human history really is.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I thought the historical analysis was particularly weak considering that people didn't have access to birth control and you generally put the kids to work in your subsistence economy ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I also didn't quite agree with the Biden analysis. I think Biden should be attacked on both the "he's a creep" and "he's a horrible politician with bad policies and a terrible record" fronts. Like they said themselves Biden's shine is from his two terms as Obama's VP - and you can't really fight that kind of appeal with policy arguments.

And even if the voters don't care, if the consultant class does, that may matter in a primary. He has not officially announced yet. What if he or his advisors decide it's not worth the risk exactly because the lid of that Pandora's box is already opening?

As a bonus, the Anita Hill stuff is a double whammy of misogyny and bad politics.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 10, 2019