Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Obviously, opening the story with Guts boning a super hawt lady is a product of Miura not really knowing where he was going with his story and character yet, and just knowing that Guts is a badass edgy antihero who would obviously totally have sex with really sexy girls.

While a Miura with hindsight might have done the scene differently, I do think it’s something Guts would do. If he saw the Corkus-Eating Succubus, and notices that she couldn’t tell he recognized her, he’d totally do some gross sex if it meant catching her by surprise for a 1HKO, versus fighting her normally and potentially breaking some bones.

Like when possessed Farnese is basically sexually assaulting him, he mostly just seems annoyed, and even then probably more about the chance she’d strangle him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
...ok
this is an interesting omission the anime had

I thought I would be safe till the eclipse :stonk:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

And you don't like Lost Children either, amirite? What's wrong with him using a little entrapment on that apostle? Surely he never uses anyone as bait around that time of the story. Except oh that kid in Lost Children, and using his hand to trap miss pointy later.

None of the things I've said indicate that I dislike the opening in any way. I think it loving owns.
I still think it doesn't really fit and that Miura would do it entirely differently.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

lezard_valeth posted:

...ok
this is an interesting omission the anime had

Agh geez I forgot he was like that.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

lezard_valeth posted:

Nah, you need to add some more crazy to that kingdom as buildup to the insanity that's coming. It's not just a throw-away scene either, which would have cheapened it something terrible.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

Nah, you need to add some more crazy to that kingdom as buildup to the insanity that's coming. It's not just a throw-away scene either, which would have cheapened it something terrible.

That scene is terrifying and really adds weight to the king's fate and Princess Charlotte's overall behaviour

There's even a rather clever callback to it later on...

When Ganeshka tries to coerce her into marriage, and Charlotte imagines her father. There's a huge demon king with filed teeth who openly threatens her, yet the thing that drives her over the edge and lose her composure is the image of her father coming back for her. Now there's something hosed up

I'm really curious how this whole thing is gonna work out for poor Charlotte. She'll have her heart broken at least, and that would be lucky. I'm imagining some situation in which Griffith has to sacrifice someone again, Charlotte volunteers... and the rest of the God Hand goes "nope, she doesn't mean enough to you"... Even the best outcome sucks for her :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think Ganishka's teeth are filed. I think it's just that all Apostles have a little bit of demon to them in their human forms, and that's his.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Torquemadras posted:

I'm really curious how this whole thing is gonna work out for poor Charlotte. She'll have her heart broken at least, and that would be lucky. I'm imagining some situation in which Griffith has to sacrifice someone again, Charlotte volunteers... and the rest of the God Hand goes "nope, she doesn't mean enough to you"... Even the best outcome sucks for her :smith:

If you want an uncharacteristically happy (in context anyway) option Miura could cook up a way for Femto to be stripped down of all powers and Charlotte could spend her years caring for a megalomaniacal invalid. Won't happen, but :unsmith:

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think Ganishka's teeth are filed. I think it's just that all Apostles have a little bit of demon to them in their human forms, and that's his.
The snake apostle at the start of Blackswordsman also had pointy teeth when in human form. Freaky eyes and pointy sharp teeth seem to be telltale signs that someone's made a pact.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

U-DO Burger posted:

sex workers have a better life expectancy in berserk than any other demographic

So still probably gonna die of diseases, maybe being in the wrong city at the worst time during the 100 years war, the church feels like spreading their influence, some foreign force/merc group decides to raid your city and king creep turns a blind eye to anything that isn't his daughter, you can't pay the exorbitant fees to a official/lord and probably a few other things. But hey, at least you didn't die in a giant ritual sacrifice!

Andrigaar posted:

If you want an uncharacteristically happy (in context anyway) option Miura could cook up a way for Femto to be stripped down of all powers and Charlotte could spend her years caring for a megalomaniacal invalid. Won't happen, but :unsmith:

The snake apostle at the start of Blackswordsman also had pointy teeth when in human form. Freaky eyes and pointy sharp teeth seem to be telltale signs that someone's made a pact.

The moment you let go of that humanity, it isn't something that you can realistically hide ever and seems to wildly fluctuate in how - different you become depending on your own personal circumstances of transformation from human to Apostle. Wyald went from some frail, unassuming old rear end in a top hat to a giant monkey man, fully capable of doing whatever horrible impulse came to his mind. Egg of the Perfect world absolutely hated himself and wanted to be his own sacrifice, thus just took the form of a literal humanoid behlit. But he was really weird in general because he was seemingly an apostle with no apparent blood-lust or rage even to the people that treated him like garbage. He just really respected faith and belief in any form it came in and wanted a better world for all. Arguably the most influential, yet benevolent of any of these monsters.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 9, 2019

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
https://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?threads/episode-358.15702/

quote:

The 358th episode, which will be entitled to colour pages, is scheduled for April 26 in Young Animal #09/10. It is a double issue (but there is no double episode) because there is the Golden Week. The 11th issue is scheduled for May 24.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Huzzah!

Calling chapters "episodes" seems very dumb to me. Is that a Miura thing?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

oh man just wait until you meet wyald

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah Wyald really was just a loving mistake.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo the wyald fight was freaking awesome and its omission from every anime adaptation is a crime

e: i haven't watched the anime in like 20 years, is Silat in it?

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 9, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why does the 2016 Berserk Musou game have playable Wyald, but not Donovan?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Wyald is a real piece of poo poo but he works for that part of the storyline perfectly. Every single panel with him shows that the world is changing in demonic ways.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wyald is unnecessary and the story flows better without him as is clearly demonstrated by the adaptations that removed him.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it may not have had any crucial story beats, but I thought it did a good job showing how far guts has come, how far away from being the black knight he still is, and just how goddamn insane apostles are when they cut loose

those are good things to establish right before the eclipse happens

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Huzzah!

IIRC, back in the really early days (first few chapters of black swordsman) the were called “revenge”!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The 97 series worked very well without Wyald and had the incredibly satisfying charge by Guts on the smug commander holding griffith

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like the Wylad as a character but the demon reveal was unneeded and the 97 anime is more shocking with just Zodd and the Eclipse

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I think wyald ruins things if the story just ends at the eclipse, because zodd alone gives it more mystery and shock. But wyald is needed if you’re transitioning into a fully hosed up berserk story with the lost children arc and the tower of god arc and the Kushan invasion arc and all the crazy witch stuff.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wylad loving sucked and I was upset when he was one of the unlockable characters in the Berserk Musou. There were way more better characters to pick and they pick that douchebag.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s already been a demon reveal, both the comic and the show open up with a “holy gently caress, demons!!!” And it’s been a while since I watched but if I recall, the anime keeps the scenes where some random villagers see the snake baron in the woods and Rickert sees mothform Rosine. So there’s no reveal to blow there really.

Wyald’s cut from the anime due to two big things. First is time constraint. They had to force nearly 100 chapters into two cours. Something has to get cut somewhere. Second is that Wyald is probably the darkest, foulest character in all of Berserk. He’s literally all about raping and killing innocent people for fun and this is depicted quite openly. Even in Japan, it’s hard to get that on TV. But if you don’t depict that, what’s the point of him? He only exists to be ridiculously vile and loathsome, if you water that down you might as well not even bother, which is what they decided to do instead.

The scene the anime goes with is kind of an anticlimax relative to the comic’s Black Dog stuff. It still sort of works because it’s a well made show and handles the stuff that comes after that about as well as anyone could. But like Silat and Skull Knight, it’s a casualty of the need to fit everything into 24 eps.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I can understand why they'd cut Wyald (and ESPECIALLY why they give him basically another personality entirely in the Musou game), but I believe he improves the story overall. His introduction as prisoner is incredible, the fight itself is amazing, and his ultimate death is metal as gently caress. And finally, the reveal of his true form as human makes a fine point about how pathetic and vile many of these apostles are, ultimately. Not to mention the way Wyald fights is downright hilarious sometimes.

However, he, uh, requires a bit of a warning. Anyone who got this far into Berserk should know that the manga does some pretty hosed up things for shock value, and Wyald is aaaaaaaall about that. And I don't think anybody doubts that Berserk goes too far regarding sexual violence, in several places. At least it's always depicted as monstrous... But if I had to pick the most obvious flaw of all of Berserk, it's that. Please stop treating it like a fetish, Miura. Sometimes comes across like one...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Wylad loving sucked and I was upset when he was one of the unlockable characters in the Berserk Musou. There were way more better characters to pick and they pick that douchebag.

I enjoyed the hell out of the musou, but including Wyald and not the Skull Knight? :cmon:

Getting the berserker armor in that game was so satisfying

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Skull knight is still my favorite character though. Cutting him out is by far the biggest problem with the 97 anime.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shindragon posted:

i actually like the role wyald plays in the manga but yeah his inclusion as a playable character is loving terrible.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My 2 cents on Wyald since I just read those chapters last night and my memory is still fresh:

The good:

- A really badass fight that shows how much Guts has improved
- The reveal of his original form as a reminder of how apostles come to be
- This panel

The bad:

- His evil is a bit over the top
- ANOTHER Casca rape attempt
- It takes away from the Eclipse reveal by being a bit too expositiory. If it were just the fight it would work as a bridge to flow from normal to fantasy, but they go a bit too long on "Griffith is important crimson behelith this the eclipse is coming godhand godhand blablabla". Granted, we've already seen how the Behelits work in the manga with the Count so probably the reader was already aware of how things would turn out with Griffith, but in the 97 anime I'm glad they cut Wyald's fight off because the Eclipse is the actual first time we see how a Behelith works.

Speaking of stuff that was cut from the anime, it's a bit unfortunate they removed the Count's part. I really liked it cause from very early on it establishes that you can actually tell fate to go gently caress themselves making Griffith's later acceptance even worse.

Unless it's later revealed that the Crimson Beheliths work different from the normal ones, in which case nvm.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 9, 2019

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Berserk Musou was very upsetting for a series known to have a bunch of characters and then only has like 7

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh and speaking of the Count, it was working well till it reaches the part where he gets back home only to find that his wife was throwing a satanic orgy party, demon goat statue included. Like how the hell was she planning on cleaning up that mess before he arrived.

That part stuck out to me as a bit silly right in the middle of a moment that was supposed to be dramatic.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Didn't he return, like, weeks earlier than planned? Those excursions to slaughter heretics can take some time, you know.

Plenty of opportunity for the lady to get some febreeze in those caves, I reckon

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

lezard_valeth posted:

Like how the hell was she planning on cleaning up that mess before he arrived.

That's for the servants to worry about.

But I would imagine it involves a lot of club soda.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Griffith meets god and asks him for a PS4

That was trippy as gently caress.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2019

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Huzzah!

It's an SK.net thing, pay it no mind.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

call it whatever you want, new Berserk WOOOOO!!!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly forgot about that some goon posted it, so gently caress yes. Sure it's probably gonna be griffith chapter but gently caress it. WOOOOO!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

since we're doing wyald chat again i'm just gonna repost this

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Crowning Griffith is gonna be at least three chapters of flowing hair.

Hmm, I wonder what all the chompy apostles (in the arena) will do once Griffith becomes respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Crowning Griffith is gonna be at least three chapters of flowing hair.

Hmm, I wonder what all the chompy apostles (in the arena) will do once Griffith becomes respectable.

yeah as much as i really wish we were returning to casca, i've resigned myself to another year of griffith's immaculate hair