Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Julius CSAR posted:

I used to play BF1 with a former Army marksman (his platoon leader at one point had been Robert Bales :stare:) and he would send me forward on the map and he would sit back on a field gun firing at max range and I would talk him on to the targets. It was actually pretty cool.

:stare: That’s loving genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That is the most frighteningly ingenious way to play Battlefield.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Had some fun firestorm rounds last night, despite dying immediately mostly. On my final round last night I came across a purple Enfield with a bayonet. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to mount it for sweet instakills.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gonz posted:

I remember in Battlefield 1942 the scout had binoculars that would set up a "remote camera" that the artillery drivers could view out of so they could see what they were firing at

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I was playing squad firestorm the other day with random pubbies and lmao at the guys who drove their amphibious car right in front of the field gun I was on without noticing me. Squad wipe in one shot.

I'm really enjoying this but I don't understand why these fuckers won't get into a tank in driving and just run alongside it then get shot to pieces while I can't do poo poo because I'm trying to jump between the gunner and driver spots myself like an idiot. If everyone gets in we'd be extremely hard to kill ffs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Log posted:

:stare: That’s loving genius.

Gonz posted:

lol are people this lacking in imagination these days? That poo poo is old hat. I used to this same exact thing all the way back in Battlefield 1942 with my buddy. It was just those big coastal turrets or whatever instead of field guns. We'd also play a scout/plane combo. He'd be on the ground looking for enemy concentrations with binoculars and call out the grids or landmarks to me, and I'll fly over and bomb it. If I was off he'd give me an adjustment and I'd come for another pass. (This was before any idiot could skylord. Plane weapons were less lethal to ground units barring a direct bomb hit, and it was hard to identify mobile targets as quickly)

People have done this is every game that has ever featured a "powerful but immobile gun capable of indirect fire".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I was sitting here like wondering how they just figured that out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guy this is gonna BLOW your MINDS!!!

When I used to play Halo 3 with my buddy we'd both get in a warhog. I'd drive and he would gun, and I would call targets to shoot while he warned about grenades/rockets to dodge.

MOST INGENIOUS FRIGHTENING WAY TO PLAY HALO. GODS OF GAMING1!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Chomp you ok dude?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Chomp you ok dude?

Just having some fun with these young gamers, man.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Had some fun firestorm rounds last night, despite dying immediately mostly. On my final round last night I came across a purple Enfield with a bayonet. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to mount it for sweet instakills.

it is already mounted, just hold down your melee button for sweet baynot death screams

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Chomp8645 posted:

Just having some fun with these young gamers, man.

"Young"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’m 36, damnit!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Gonz posted:

I’m 36, damnit!

I'm 34. Thank God someone gave me what for.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mid 30's gamers and you never played spotter with a friend?

Smh over here...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bottom Text

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Mid 30's gamers and you never played spotter with a friend?

Smh over here...

Not with a former military marksman, no.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gamers rise up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gonz posted:

Not with a former military marksman, no.

Listen I don't want to make a big deal here about something silly. Suffice to say, I don't care what qualification some army guy had, it really doesn't translate to operating the field canon in a video game.

Also, please remember that fancy sounding military honors often mean nothing. I myself literally hold a better qualification than an "Army Marksman". You know why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_badges_(United_States)

quote:

The U.S. military and CMP marksmanship qualification badges are awarded in three grades (highest to lowest): expert, sharpshooter, and marksman

Marksman is the lowest rank that didn't outright fail lol. I got a sharpshooter badge when I qualified during basic training, and believe me that's not anything special. Literally every person who completes basic training can claim to be an "army marksman". Now in this case "marksman" may refer to something else, maybe some other special training or course. But we don't know so on it's own "army marksman" means nothing other than he wasn't so terrible at shooting that it washed him out of basic (this happened to zero people in my group of like 120 or something).

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 9, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah I mainly mentioned that he was an army guy because the previous poster was talking about playing with jargon spouting marines. Sorry I upset you dude. I also had a marksmanship badge when I was in the military so chill the gently caress out ok?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm with you on laughing at thirty year olds in awe of calling shots in 2019 but you're posting like a goon.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I would be very happy to play with military vets

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm proud to support our vets

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'm The Bananana, and I approved this message on behalf of The Coalition to Vote for The Bananana in 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys I'm chill, taking the piss outta people is just what I do I don't know why you think I'm angry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Banana man your blind support is as touching as it is unwarranted!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Bananana posted:

I would be very happy to play with military vets

You already have :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I know you’re kidding.

On a serious note, I played about 7 or 8 solo rounds yesterday and did fairly well.

But that last round, goddamn that last round. Spent 24 minutes sneaking around and getting the drop on various people. The flare gun is a really outstanding thing to have in this mode; it probably nabbed me three kills.

So i’ve got 7 kills and it comes down to the second to last circle. 3 people left, myself included. I shotgun the 2nd to last guy after we dance around a wooden shed exchanging fire. I’m down to about 25 health and go hide in the brush to use at least one syringe.

Right as I go to use the syringe, the final guy walks right up to me, and before I have the chance to swap to my gun, I get headshotted.

Infuriating.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m just lmao’ing at everyone who needs a spotter and didn’t figure out on their own the exact angle to aim the Fao field guns to hit each point

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only real way to play battlefield games is with a protractor taped to the middle of your tv

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The only real way to play battlefield games is with a protractor taped to the middle of your tv

I still have a piece of tape on the middle of my screen from the shotgun landshark days of Gears of war

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

On the topic of the flare gun, it was also the first “weapon” I grabbed on the drop, and managed to shoot an unarmed guy with it, then stabbed him to death while he was burning.

Fun times.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unfortunately for me my artillery career peaked in the beta while clearing out snipers on that one cliff on Sinai:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bananana posted:

I still have a piece of tape on the middle of my screen from the shotgun landshark days of Gears of war

I remember the LAN party days of high school when we played Counterstrike or whatever people would stick dots onto the center of their monitors so they could aim no-scope shots with AWPs. It always spawned an argument about whether it was acceptable and people would try to paste them clandestinely so nobody noticed or rip them off other people's monitors lol.

Good times.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
blanket barriers for screen looking
was good from Dr. Mario onward

i'm 35 too i like creative play good job everyone for having fun with game mechanics that have functionally been the same for 20 years

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

El Jebus posted:

You already have :colbert:

Tank you for your service o7

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Note to Self - Don't talk about anything in GAMES

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol If those games qualify as ancient, I think they needed to add a Cesar Romero in there for my prehistoric 36 year old rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

veni veni veni posted:

Lol If those games qualify as ancient, I think they needed to add a Cesar Romero in there for my prehistoric 36 year old rear end.

Some motherfuckers never been to a Descent LAN party.