Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Doctor Zero posted:

They tell everyone that no matter how terrible you are. HTH

i know thank you. the joke, insofar as there was one, is that nobody told me it before so I must have been really very bad indeed

unrelatedly, loving lol at google maps transit directions in this country. "sure, you could take the train ..... but have you considered this uber clone instead? it’ll take four times as long and cost 20 times as much, why not give it a try?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Soricidus posted:

i know thank you. the joke, insofar as there was one, is that nobody told me it before so I must have been really very bad indeed

unrelatedly, loving lol at google maps transit directions in this country. "sure, you could take the train ..... but have you considered this uber clone instead? it’ll take four times as long and cost 20 times as much, why not give it a try?"

Oh! I thought you were joking. I wouldn’t have sounded like a dick. Yeah congrats! :unsmith:

Also just so you know the next level is they start to ask you to say things and marvel at the fact you can use ohashi without stabbing yourself in the eye. Makes you feel like a talking dog.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Archer666 posted:

Thanks! I looked around in tower records in Umeda and also in Disc Union there, unfortunately no luck. Then I swung by some other other shops in denden town and nothing turned up there either. I was planning on taking another trip to Amerimura so I'll swing by those stores you mentioned too. Original pressings would be the best, but those appear to be really rare.. Oh well, at least I'm discovering new music just by digging through the records they do have.

Strange - the Umeda store supposedly has (few) copies of the new soundtrack LP. Check here and click the Kansai tab, which is the 3rd from the right in the section with 9 tabs... If you go in and ask, they might claim to not have any, but it's apparently there, somewhere.

King Kong can't be searched online it seems, so yeah, they're worth a shot - but fair warning that the prices seem pretty high, at least referencing discogs etc.. If you're brave enough to use Mercari, there seems to be a lot of X Japan LPs there, albeit for premium prices!

But that's not as much fun as the search, anyway.

I've mentioned it before, but the Namba Book Off has records too, if you're really desparate! Have fun digging!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

free Trapt CD posted:

Strange - the Umeda store supposedly has (few) copies of the new soundtrack LP. Check here and click the Kansai tab, which is the 3rd from the right in the section with 9 tabs... If you go in and ask, they might claim to not have any, but it's apparently there, somewhere.

King Kong can't be searched online it seems, so yeah, they're worth a shot - but fair warning that the prices seem pretty high, at least referencing discogs etc.. If you're brave enough to use Mercari, there seems to be a lot of X Japan LPs there, albeit for premium prices!

But that's not as much fun as the search, anyway.

I've mentioned it before, but the Namba Book Off has records too, if you're really desparate! Have fun digging!

I was in the Nuchayama store. They don't have it in stock there. Didnt check Marubiru cause goddamn there are a lot of shopping centres in Umeda lol.

Yeah, I'm prepared to pay the premium price for an original pressing. X Japan's always been hot as hell, especially now after the release of the documentary. Definitely will check out Namba book off. Thanks a lot for the advice!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is your friend back home? Maybe you can do a whatsapp call at around 4pm japan time and say hello to check up on her :henget:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

Is your friend back home? Maybe you can do a whatsapp call at around 4pm japan time and say hello to check up on her :henget:

Nah, she's leaving on Friday. And of course, she's too scared to travel alone to the airport so I'm going to guide her all the way to the security checkpoint of KIX at 7 in the goddamn morning because I'm a goddamn good friend and goddamn next time I need to pick better people to travel with. :tif:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Archer666 posted:

Nah, she's leaving on Friday. And of course, she's too scared to travel alone to the airport so I'm going to guide her all the way to the security checkpoint of KIX at 7 in the goddamn morning because I'm a goddamn good friend and goddamn next time I need to pick better people to travel with. :tif:

are you loving kidding

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

are you loving kidding

I really goddamn loving wish.

A few days ago we were at the aquarium Kaiykukan and she wanted to go to back to Tennouji afterwards, while I wanted to hit up Umeda. But because she saw that the Osaka loop line had some technical troubles and she'd had to take a different route than the opposite of how we got there, she nearly broke out in tears when I said that I wouldn't guide her back through an alternate route because she's got a cellphone and google loving maps. She only calmed down when I relented and guided her back through the Osaka Metro back to Tennouji. Which still is, I swear to god, a loving cake walk. So I had to can my Umeda plans for the day to hold the hand of a 24 year old woman.

She's a sweet girl, but goddamn I did not expect to have taken a woman-child with me on this vacation.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 9, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
She’s really going out of the way to destroy anything resembling a positive relationship with you

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Archer666 posted:

A few days ago we were at the aquarium Kaiykukan and she wanted to go to back to Tennouji afterwards, while I wanted to hit up Umeda. But because she saw that the Osaka loop line had some technical troubles and she'd had to take a different route than the opposite of how we got there, she nearly broke out in tears when I said that I wouldn't guide her back through an alternate route because she's got a cellphone and google loving maps. She only calmed down when I relented and guided her back through the Osaka Metro back to Tennouji. Which still is, I swear to god, a loving cake walk. So I had to can my Umeda plans for the day to hold the hand of a 24 year old woman.

She's a sweet girl, but goddamn I did not expect to have taken a woman-child with me on this vacation.

Yeah, uh, :sever: from her and let her get her rear end to the airport on her own, :wtc:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Zero posted:

They tell everyone that no matter how terrible you are. HTH

Oh man I can’t wait to embarrass myself. Cause I will. And I will enjoy it.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
come on dude, just pop her on the airport bus/train in the morning and go

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Archer666 posted:

Dude, she needs therapy and some loving anxiety meds. This is not at all normal. Is she super sheltered, has she just had everyone else lead her places, never gone out on her own? This is the behavior of someone who hasn’t tried to be independent since puberty began.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BB2K posted:

come on dude, just pop her on the airport bus/train in the morning and go

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, uh, :sever: from her and let her get her rear end to the airport on her own, :wtc:

Pollyanna posted:

Dude, she needs therapy and some loving anxiety meds. This is not at all normal. Is she super sheltered, has she just had everyone else lead her places, never gone out on her own? This is the behavior of someone who hasn’t tried to be independent since puberty began.

She probably is. I must admit, I took her on because a year ago I posted on fb a message of "Hey who wants to come to Japan with me a year from now?" and she answered without any hesitation. We had several talks on how this is gonna work and I told her several times "Hey, I'm kind of bad with the social thing, so there will be days where we will both be doing our own thing independently, is that cool?" and she agreed every single time.

gently caress we were supposed to go to a karaoke bar this evening, but she said she was tired from "Walking around the entire day" ... when she went out at around 1 in the afternoon and was back at the airbnb by 6 in the evening. And a few hours were spend reading a book. Meanwhile I was out from 10 to 7 trekking through Umeda. Holy gently caress, I'm sorry to be melting down a little in this thread but this is really infuriating when I want to show her a good time and drag her outside the bubble, but she's being a bitch about everything. Why come here with me when you're gonna park your rear end on a bench and read a goddamn book the entire time?

Phone posted:

She’s really going out of the way to destroy anything resembling a positive relationship with you

She trashed that the moment she booked the ticket back on day loving 4. All of this? I'm just handling as a courtesy to the friendship I've had with her brother.

We're going to Universal Japan tomorrow and thank god there is no possible way that can go wrong...Oh wait I have to guide her back to loving Tennouji again on the way back. :cripes:

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

As soon as she starts making her babby issues your problem is when you sever, gently caress that noise.

I'm angry for you, drat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Can't wait for her to get home early and when people ask why she did such a dumb thing she blames it on her terribly unsupportive travelling companion. Hopefully you don't go home a month from now and get treated as the bad guy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please post more, these homesick people are weird and fascinating (and infuriating) to me. I've heard of English teachers freaking out and flying home during orientation, but never saw it happen in person.

Also lol what 24 year old makes daily voice calls?!?!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had a friend who similarly cut a 2-week trip to Tokyo short last year because she had a falling out with the girl she was staying with.

I didn't understand why she didn't just get a cheap hotel and stick it out, but I guess she just wanted out.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A childhood friend of mine is doing this exact thing in Ireland right now, so I have some insight into how these people are made.

Basically sheltered as gently caress and their parents kept them from ever having to solve a problem or have an unpleasant experience until they were well into adulthood.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I've had a couple homesickness/anxiety meltdowns before while traveling but never for more than a night or a couple hours, I cannot even begin to fathom the expense and effort of cutting short a trip like that rather than just pushing through, holy poo poo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sorry to interrupt terrible travel companion thread with a real Japan question! Are certain prefectures better at certain times? Like, Ikebukuro. I have my tattoo appointment there at noon, is it a cool area to hang out in beforehand, or should we save exploring it for the afternoon? Probably a stupid question but :shrug:

And secondly, I was hoping for a clarification about Ginza Steak's menu. On the page under every meal option it says "* Steak addition free" but then at the top of the dinner entrees it also says "(Further charge for extra steak.)" Am I missing something here? Or is it a further charge for the different types of meat that don't have the first asterisk bit?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Please post more, these homesick people are weird and fascinating (and infuriating) to me. I've heard of English teachers freaking out and flying home during orientation, but never saw it happen in person.

Also lol what 24 year old makes daily voice calls?!?!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Sorry to interrupt terrible travel companion thread with a real Japan question! Are certain prefectures better at certain times? Like, Ikebukuro. I have my tattoo appointment there at noon, is it a cool area to hang out in beforehand, or should we save exploring it for the afternoon? Probably a stupid question but :shrug:

And secondly, I was hoping for a clarification about Ginza Steak's menu. On the page under every meal option it says "* Steak addition free" but then at the top of the dinner entrees it also says "(Further charge for extra steak.)" Am I missing something here? Or is it a further charge for the different types of meat that don't have the first asterisk bit?

I went to ginza steak

You choose which course you want, some have abalone some don’t.

You have to go through all the appetizers before you can have your ALL YOU CAN EAT STEAK. And for me I had a course of 2 different choices. If you want more you must finish your portion, can’t eat 2 cuts at the same time.

Instead of having a decent dinner conversation and slowly going through the steaks, gently caress the place up and just go through those steaks as fast as you can. I only got 3 portions total which is kind of weak, could totally gone for 5 or 6

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Johnny Truant posted:

Ikkebukuro is not a prefecture (Japanese equivalent of American state) but just an area/suburb of Tokyo, if you will.

Anyway, you should be fine in the morning, as long as you're not thinking of going out at like, 7 AM before a lot of places even open.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

caberham posted:

I went to ginza steak

You choose which course you want, some have abalone some don’t.

You have to go through all the appetizers before you can have your ALL YOU CAN EAT STEAK. And for me I had a course of 2 different choices. If you want more you must finish your portion, can’t eat 2 cuts at the same time.

Instead of having a decent dinner conversation and slowly going through the steaks, gently caress the place up and just go through those steaks as fast as you can. I only got 3 portions total which is kind of weak, could totally gone for 5 or 6

Ahh word, thanks!

totalnewbie posted:

Ikkebukuro is not a prefecture (Japanese equivalent of American state) but just an area/suburb of Tokyo, if you will.

Anyway, you should be fine in the morning, as long as you're not thinking of going out at like, 7 AM before a lot of places even open.

Whoops, thanks for the correction on nomenclature. I figured that yeah, unless we were on the extremes of the day like balls early/late, any place that we're exploring would be solid.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm excited to go and try Ginza Steak! :)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Can I get a nice view of Fuji from an observation deck somewhere in Tokyo?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Metropolitan Government Building when the weather plays along.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man I can’t wait to embarrass myself. Cause I will. And I will enjoy it.

It’s your goddamn god given right as a gaijin. :colbert:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LyonsLions posted:

A childhood friend of mine is doing this exact thing in Ireland right now, so I have some insight into how these people are made.

Basically sheltered as gently caress and their parents kept them from ever having to solve a problem or have an unpleasant experience until they were well into adulthood.

NYT did a great article on “snowplow parenting”

quote:

“They’ve cleared everything out of their kids’ way,” she said.

In her practice, Dr. Levine said, she regularly sees college freshmen who “have had to come home from Emory or Brown because they don’t have the minimal kinds of adult skills that one needs to be in college.”

One came home because there was a rat in the dorm room. Some didn’t like their roommates. Others said it was too much work, and they had never learned independent study skills. One didn’t like to eat food with sauce. Her whole life, her parents had helped her avoid sauce, calling friends before going to their houses for dinner. At college, she didn’t know how to cope with the cafeteria options — covered in sauce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/16/...dqdWA9nu6oepiYM

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nanigans posted:

Pretty much any building over 15 floors if the weather is clear. We went to the Tokyo Skytree and it was awesome, but the weather didn’t cooperate. It was sunny but not clear enough to see Fuji. I’ve also been Tokyo Tower, Roppongi Hills, and the aforementioned Metropolitan building and they all give nice views of the city.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
thank you for suffering your sheltered random facebook friend
i've found the tale fascinating and entertaining
10/10 would read again

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

orcane posted:

Metropolitan Government Building when the weather plays along.

Doctor Zero posted:

Pretty much any building over 15 floors if the weather is clear. We went to the Tokyo Skytree and it was awesome, but the weather didn’t cooperate. It was sunny but not clear enough to see Fuji. I’ve also been Tokyo Tower, Roppongi Hills, and the aforementioned Metropolitan building and they all give nice views of the city.

Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s your goddamn god given right as a gaijin. :colbert:

I am tempted to only speak in broken japanese just to annoy everyone. No English JP only final destination

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nanigans posted:

It depends entirely on weather. I've only seen it once, on the observation deck at Haneda airport on my way out of the country. Which was a nice little goodbye. But it was all hazy and invisible when I went by on the train.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Question: did these people ever go to summer camp???? Or just like a day trip to their grandma's house?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Swinging back to travelling buddies:

My first trip I offered to pay a friend's way for hotel and meals provided she bought her own ticket there (to prove she was serious about going). She had never traveled internationally before and bought cheap tickets with a plane change and a long long layover in Manila.

This year I offered another friend the same deal, but this friend had been in the military and done that sort of travel plus she'd traveled several times after on vacations. I expect you know where this is going, but after learning we wouldn't be travelling on the same plane she backed out. Mind you hers would have been a direct flight and we would have been slated to land at the same airport at the same time where we would then meet up. She is afraid to travel (fly) "alone", and all those other trips she'd only done because her boyfriend was with her.

I'm probably never going to find a good travel buddy and I am only going to plan for me in the future.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Question: did these people ever go to summer camp???? Or just like a day trip to their grandma's house?

They went to summer day camp, or were there for a week and had phone calls every day. In any case, “summer camp” has become less and less of a thing since the 1980s because that takes time away from clubs/sports/activities that can go onto your resume for college applications.

There’s also a difference between getting homesick (or overwhelmed) and your reaction to it. This person is just incredibly immature and nothing our Dutch goon here can do on this trip will change that.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
On my very first trip to Japan I travel with a friend who had to leave in the middle of a two week trip as something had come up he had to tend to. Not his fault, these thing just happen.

At the time I mulled over if I should follow him since we planned this together, but that lasted under a minute and proceeded to to have a blast by myself after seeing him off at the airport with the rest of my time there. As a bonus I got our shared hotel room to myself.

Back then I did not speak a word of Japanese let alone being able to read anything and it wasn't a big deal at all. What's wrong with people these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
On my second trip to Japan, for 3 months, I had to share a 6 mat room with a guy who was a clean freak to the point where he would throw a bit if I had an empty can on the table overnight.

He also got real pissy if I wanted to go anywhere by myself or do anything he wasn't interested in. He also got mad if I spent money on something he wouldn't have.

By the end of it I was about ready to push that fucker down a couple flights of stairs.