Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

numberoneposter posted:

Uhg my stupid scooter burn means I might not be able to swim unless I want to repeatedly scrape sand out of my leg. I still might do a day scuba trip and clean it right after. I have some water proof bandages that I might literally duct tape to my leg.

Please come back with all your limbs kthx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Just saw a guy take off on a scooter with a big bowl of noodle soup like Dennis eating a bowl of cereal while driving in Always Sunny.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

Also, I assume this is mostly about you being gerrymandered out of yet another reasonable delivery area without written explanation!

"Why does this keep happening to me???"

While I did recently lose Carl's Jr, it's just that my friend ordered Scoozi for his birthday and it was awful.

I'm big on Pizza Mania and the dude at W District personally. Though neither will deliver to my condo.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

webmeister posted:

In handy image form for the Excel-impaired

Now that's Big Data and Business Intelligence!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pilsner posted:

Now that's Big Data and Business Intelligence!
Yes ka. We will add AI and chat bot for April and then we go for Startup in Singapore. This is service mind with design think na ka.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Why are you attempting to eat anything with cheese in southeast asia?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm leaving for Cambodia in two days. What's the best way to get a cab that goes from the airport to my hotel? Are there any phone apps?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
grab?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm leaving for Cambodia in two days. What's the best way to get a cab that goes from the airport to my hotel? Are there any phone apps?

I walked out of the airport and took the first tuktuk I saw and agreed to a price that sounded reasonable. It's not really rocket science in Cambodia.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Because I want a variety of food and not just raw shrimp dipped in fish sauce all the time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Walk out front door of airport, ask taxi driver to take you to your hotel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay. I assume they speak english correct?

My second, and last question, is how does money work? Like will there be currency exchange machines or kiosks? What's the best way to turn dollars into Riels?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

My second, and last question, is how does money work? Like will there be currency exchange machines or kiosks? What's the best way to turn dollars into Riels?

Sometimes I dont know if people are trolling or not :ohdear:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

caberham posted:

Sometimes I dont know if people are trolling or not :ohdear:

No, I'm not, I'm really that stupid.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

punk rebel ecks posted:

No, I'm not, I'm really that stupid.

Cambodia only uses riels for amounts smaller than $1. There are no riel coins. You just hand them USD to pay for things and if there’s change you get riels back. ATMs give you USD.

E: I suppose there are riel coins but they’re not common

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 9, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cambodia is neat because you genuinely don't need to bring any foreign currency if you have USD.

The taxis will know the major streets and hotels.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm not much of a pizza fan but I had the best four cheese pizza I've ever had about 8 years in Khao Lak. So good. Made by an Italian guy, by way of a Burmese proxy doing the actual hands-on stuff while old mate managed. Legitimately, like he was a puppeteer. It was weird.

Anyway, having spent a lot of time in Thailand since then, and more time back here, I'd realised that Thais don't get cheese but the Burmese do. And I think that at least one of the cheese on the four cheese pizza was mouldy and I don't care because it made it taste better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just realized that I should have answered this with: “The best way to turn dollars into riels is to buy something and get change”

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Where you go?

Yes.

Yes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Motorino is a chain from Brooklyn and their oven fired pizzas are pretty good. They have them in Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Cambodia is neat because you genuinely don't need to bring any foreign currency if you have USD.

The taxis will know the major streets and hotels.

Awesome thanks.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
punk rebel ecks, I'm genuinely worried and excited for you based on the questions you've been asking here in the past couple of months. I'm pulling for you though. It's almost guaranteed you'll have an awesome time. Stay safe out there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Agreed.

About 15 or 16 years ago we had just closed down a start up I had worked very hard on, and I wanted to take a sabbatical.

A guy on the forums told me I should go the Thailand.

I asked what kind of hotels I should book and what I should plan and so on.

He basically said don't plan anything. He said to bring a pair of comfortable shoes, you could buy flip-flops when you're there, get a quality backpack before you leave and otherwise just bring cash and an ATM card and a credit card, and at that time we had to drag music around so I loaded up my MP3 CDs.

Anyway, he was right. Changed my life, and for the last 13 years I've lived here and worked here and traveled all over.

The smartest thing you can do is stop trying to plan. You're going to have a million reasons in your head why you need to plan, but if you don't plan then you're going to find out there's a whole other way of doing things that works just fine and it's a lot more fun.

This whole region is set up for you to just parachute in and pick from a menu daily what you want to do, where you want to go, what you want to eat, and so on. It's training wheels for independent travel, use them.

The illusion of control, in all things, is exactly that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm looking at tickets to Cambodia in July, and they just jumped up in price by about $300. jeez

Any chance they'll go back down?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Constellation I posted:

punk rebel ecks, I'm genuinely worried and excited for you based on the questions you've been asking here in the past couple of months. I'm pulling for you though. It's almost guaranteed you'll have an awesome time. Stay safe out there.

Thanks. I'm a bit uneased since I've never left the country before and I leave in two days.

My biggest worry is when I get there I find not being able to speak or read the language will result in hellish situation.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 9, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks. I'm a bit uneased since I've never left the country before and I leave in two days.

My biggest worry is when I get there I find not being able to speak or read the language will result in hellish situation.

Worry not. Sometimes things can be a touch awkward, but there's always a way to communicate. The vast majority of folks you'll encounter are fully functional in English.

Now would be a good time to stock up on $1 USD bills in good condition.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Agreed.

About 15 or 16 years ago we had just closed down a start up I had worked very hard on, and I wanted to take a sabbatical.

A guy on the forums told me I should go the Thailand.

I asked what kind of hotels I should book and what I should plan and so on.

He basically said don't plan anything. He said to bring a pair of comfortable shoes, you could buy flip-flops when you're there, get a quality backpack before you leave and otherwise just bring cash and an ATM card and a credit card, and at that time we had to drag music around so I loaded up my MP3 CDs.

Anyway, he was right. Changed my life, and for the last 13 years I've lived here and worked here and traveled all over.

The smartest thing you can do is stop trying to plan. You're going to have a million reasons in your head why you need to plan, but if you don't plan then you're going to find out there's a whole other way of doing things that works just fine and it's a lot more fun.

This whole region is set up for you to just parachute in and pick from a menu daily what you want to do, where you want to go, what you want to eat, and so on. It's training wheels for independent travel, use them.

The illusion of control, in all things, is exactly that.

Someone from this forum made the analogy of "what takes up more space, backpack full of poo poo or a $50 bill?" In my opinion that was the best advice about southeast asia I have gotten. My first trip there I packed like I was going on an expedition; afterwards I had a small backpack and kind of winged it.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Much to my disappointment, scuba diving is kind of incompatible with travelling light. You start off with a mask and fins, then maybe a regulator, then a BCD, then a backplate and wing, then a manifold, then you think that back mounted twins sucks and you want to go side mount so you get more regulators, and to properly explore overhead environments you need a bunch of weird reels and lines and lights and battery canisters, wetsuits for all kinds of conditions, and then you think "gently caress! I need to document all the cool poo poo that I'm seeing!" and you end up with a Pelican case or two full of lights and strobes and cameras and housings and all kinds of other poo poo, and it looks like you're single-handedly mounting a military invasion every time you rock up at the airport. And Indonesian customs treats you as such, wanting to inspect every item in your many item diving kit in minute detail because they're horribly afraid that it's all brand-new and you're importing all of this poo poo to sell and you're going to flee the country without paying tax or something. Then because you've spent all your money on gear and training and flights and excess baggage weight, you have to schlep all of your junk - case after case after case - like a sucker using the cheapest land transport you can get.

It loving sucks, but it's worth it for the three great photos you get every year.

Until you don't dive for 3 years in a row, all of your poo poo falls apart because it's not being used, you need to have everything service lest it flood or you die if you ever decide to use it again, and because you've moved back to the real world you've got a thousand other things you need to spend your money on.

I guess the moral of the story is: stay in Asia. Don't buy scuba gear. Don't be afraid of languages or smells or minor hardship. Thailand won't eat you - not unless you fall in love with a bar girl who used to be a bar man, and you find yourself supporting her extended family out in the provinces, you somehow knock her up (even though she used to be a guy) and you think you're doing the right thing by getting married but you wake up dead one day and she's stolen all of the meagre amount of wealth you've managed not to spend on Big Chang (tm) and chips and gravy and the local titty bar while totally not cheating on your Thai Wife (tm).

Finch! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 10, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

take up birding

it's the scuba of the air

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Fitzy Fitz posted:

take up birding

it's the scuba of the air

For my own sanity I've banned myself from getting involved in any more expensive hobbies :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's great being married to someone from Thailand because she can translate for me and take me to all of the cool spots...but it's also bad because we can never go there without spending nearly all of our time with her family :sad:

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

C-Euro posted:

It's great being married to someone from Thailand because she can translate for me and take me to all of the cool spots...but it's also bad because we can never go there without spending nearly all of our time with her family :sad:

I'm probably going to marry a girl from a big Italian family here in Australia. We're going to Italy in a few weeks and she's JUST told me that she failed first-year university Italian because her extended family helped out with learning but taught her some weird dialect that's specific to the region they're from and is almost unintelligible to everyone else :/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah my sister married a guy whose entire family is from Sicily. She studied up on Italian before they went back to Sicily for a visit and yeah, that was about as pointless as you'd expect since most of them didn't speak Italian, only Sicilian :v:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Worry not. Sometimes things can be a touch awkward, but there's always a way to communicate. The vast majority of folks you'll encounter are fully functional in English.

Now would be a good time to stock up on $1 USD bills in good condition.

How many $1 should I stock up on?

I have Chase bank, can I just use an ATM when I get there?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A guy in the forums posted his motorcycle travels along south east Asia 8 years ago. Pompous rhombus is my hero.

And then I really liked the idea of it and started backpacking.

Now I have a bunch of travel goon friends turned friends.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

punk rebel ecks posted:

How many $1 should I stock up on?

I have Chase bank, can I just use an ATM when I get there?

$200

If you run out, go to any ATM to get more. Then go to a convenience store and buy some poo poo to break the larger bills that the ATM gave you.

Call Chase and notify them of your travels.

Now you have all the money to spend on all the early morning streetcorner pork and rice you can eat. And Anchor beer.

Is Anchor the good one, and Angkor the crappy? I forget.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It doesn't really matter.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well due to recently switching to MetroPCS, I can't unlock my phone. So I have to buy one at the Cambodian airport. Will this be difficult?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No idea as I haven't had a US phone since 2008, but I know in most countries buying a prepaid phone is relatively easy with your passport in hand. Cambodia could be unique though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

In 2017 my phone was locked to Roger's. In retrospect I should have just bought a cheap android with sim when I realized my own phone wouldn't work. It's so much easier with data and Google maps turn by turn. Protip, use earbuds for turn by turn on the motorbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well due to recently switching to MetroPCS, I can't unlock my phone. So I have to buy one at the Cambodian airport. Will this be difficult?

Don't really recommend buying phones at the airport because it doesn't matter what country you're in, you're guaranteed to pay more. You only have like a day left though, right? I was going to suggest getting an unlocked phone used before you leave.

Alternatively, if you're only there for a week, you don't really need data or need to bother with a phone. Just rely on your hotel/hostel's wifi.