Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

no it was-

... yeah, he drank the piss. That's how Mafia works.

Giorno is just a naturally great Ripple user and thus his stand works exactly as freeform nonsense as Ripple does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CJ posted:

I would have liked GE better if it just let him be a pet class and we got lots of panels of Giorno doing seductive poses hugging tigers and stuff.

I feel like Giorno can't make anything bigger than a snake.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sounds like you're forgetting about the ending, where giorno turns the earth into a giant pufferfish which then deflates and they all get punted off into space because of it

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver2195 posted:

They're physical projections of your personality more than your life force, really. Early in Part 3 they were implied to be connected to the Ripple somehow, but Araki Forgot (or, more likely, just dropped the idea on purpose).

he probably had an "oh gently caress" moment when he realized that giving DIO the strongest ripple power made no sense

that, or he envisioned only the protagonists having stands, and the enemies being increasingly weird undead like in part 1 or 2

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
ok i just wondered what if giorgiboi's was using his stand to add "life" to his stand in the form of additional powers or w/e its no big deal

w a n n a b e

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's an incredibly cold take already but jojo is only as wildly successful as it is today due to stands and the faster araki divorced them from the ripple the better

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hamon was cool but it was very played out by the end of part 2. Stands have so much more depth to them than sunlight martial arts and allow for more interesting stories.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

i might be misunderstanding the question but they're just physical projections of your own life force and sometimes your projection is a buff guys and sometimes your projection is autonomous and sometimes your projection can get hungry and sometimes your projection has a consciousness and can talk and sometimes your projection is airplanes

And sometimes the projection of your life force loving murders you without you ever learning of its existence and then attaches itself to someone else

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Tetracube posted:

stand tier list

7. Purple Haze: Only appears once and all it can really do is murder. Bad and poo poo.
6. Gold Experience: Giorno your power is bullshit
5. Spice Girl: It's ok but we saw very little of it.
4. Aerosmith: It's alright, it's mostly about the carbon dioxide radar thing which Narancia usually does something cool with
3. Moody Blues: P cool power but it's not really combat applicable which means it doesn't see much use
2. Sticky Fingers: Rad as hell power, also has the advantage of belonging to Bruno
1. Sex Pistols: Who tf doesn't like sex pistols

Purple haze is bad because the power is bad for writing. But I think that since it only shows up once it's cool. Like the limited use gives it some mysteriousness and let's you know it's a terrible power that must never be used, unless absolutely needed.

It's not like GE bull making GBS threads us through every situation.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I can't help but feel like Fugo was a pointless character.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Wake me up, before Fugo go.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That tongue poo poo Narancia did at the end of Talking Head and Clash was way more bs than anything Giorno's pulled so far, and even that is halvsies on him.

"The user, Narancia. Go after the USER! Also, quick, take my ladybug thing, it'll turn into a replacement tongue later when you cut your tongue out to suss out the user, a plan I somehow know we've both already come up w right now and are already on the same page about, somehow, silently. K, peace *zip*"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's like that part of DiU where Josuke and Okuyasu communicate telepathically, only this happens in the middle of a serious fight instead of during a gag chapter involving an alien(?).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

There were some holes in his development, it's true.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Flesnolk posted:

imo fugo is cool

in a world of where guys drive cars off bridges or purposefully take their own bullet fire out of Resolve and A Dream, i like that there's someone else there that not only will not do those things, but can't. fugo can't make that step onto the boat and he can't make himself understand why all his friends can. and i think that's refreshing, but makes the other characters who can look even stronger.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 10, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fugo was a good lad

But manga is generally written by the seat of the pants with ridiculously tight deadlines and Purple Haze is textbook case of written into a corner, it doesn't always work out. Similar case with Avdol. He'd trivialise a lot of stands if he were allowed to just flamethrower all the poo poo or leave napalm landmines all over the joint.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Araki's original plan was to have Fugo betray them to the boss, but he felt sad about doing that, and so benched him instead.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I probably would've preferred that to "appears, does literally one thing, immediately fucks off out of the story at the first opportunity"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That kind of thing does add to the unpredictability of the story, kind of like waxing Jonathan abruptly in Part 1. Sometimes you meet people and then they go away for no good reason.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fact that fugo decides not to go with the rest of the gang makes the decision to betray the boss feel much more serious

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pootybutt posted:

"The user, Narancia. Go after the USER! Also, quick, take my ladybug thing, it'll turn into a replacement tongue later when you cut your tongue out to suss out the user, a plan I somehow know we've both already come up w right now and are already on the same page about, somehow, silently. K, peace *zip*"

"I knew you two were the stand users because nobody else would be shocked if I cut out my own tongue in public!"

*shoots them dead with an invisible airplane causing giorno to appear out of the ground and nobody in the crowd bats an eye*

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

imo fugo is cool

in a world of where guys drive cars off bridges or purposefully take their own bullet fire out of Resolve and A Dream, i like that there's someone else there that not only will not do those things, but can't. fugo can't make that step onto the boat and he can't make himself understand why all his friends can. and i think that's refreshing, but makes the other characters who can look even stronger.

Why is fugo cool.

Literally the only thing that made him interesting was him choosing not do something. It's not like he actively contributed to anything, other than the one fight. Even then it was Giorno doing most of the legwork. We have the backstory of him being molested and being angry, but even that amounts to nothing.

All he did was stand around in that stupid swiss cheese suit.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
a character doesnt have to Do Something to be Cool. they can just be written interestingly.

to say that fugo's backstory doesn't amount to anything is ridiculous, it tells a lot about who he is and informs us of why he acts like this. he has genuine mental issues and a traumatic history that not only make him lash out at his friends, but prevent him from having the empathy for trish like narancia or bruno have or having the deep faith in the group like mista and abbachio have. this further isolates him and makes the decision to rebel against the Boss feel like a real choice.

i would love for there to have been more scenes for fugo to develop or further explore his character, but i really like the subtle brush he's painted with, a sad portrait of someone who's left all alone. there's also a good amount of Araki interviews where he talks about Fugo and how some personal things in his life made that character difficult for him that i like a lot

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 10, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fugo is going to come back later except now he’s a robot and also now he’s a Nazi

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Why is fugo cool.

Literally the only thing that made him interesting was him choosing not do something. It's not like he actively contributed to anything, other than the one fight. Even then it was Giorno doing most of the legwork. We have the backstory of him being molested and being angry, but even that amounts to nothing.

The "being molested" part is anime-only.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fugo’s spent so much of his life just boiling below the surface and trying to keep himself under control because when he gets mad, bad things happen. So when the entire group decides to do what is right instead of what’s smart, Fugo can’t understand because his life to this point has taught him to always do the opposite.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish Fugo was there for the fight with Ghiaccio instead of disappearing into the aether. :argh:

Silver2195 posted:

The "being molested" part is anime-only.

I'm still not a fan of that addition.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wish Fugo was there for the fight with Ghiaccio instead of disappearing into the aether. :argh:

Yeah some of these fights only involve one or two of the gang for weak reasoning. I know having six guys stand blitz any opponents isn't gonna work from a narrative perspective either but it's a bit egregious in some episodes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've got words to say about Fugo but I'll wait until the anime is over to say them because this is the anime thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Monaghan posted:

Why is fugo cool.

He also did the dance, you knob

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nessus posted:

He also did the dance, you knob

And he stabbed Narancia in the face with a fork!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
He also let Trish use his coat to dry her hands, and fell face first into her breasts at one point.

So if nothing else, he was useful for comic relief at times.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Half of Dracula posted:

Yeah some of these fights only involve one or two of the gang for weak reasoning. I know having six guys stand blitz any opponents isn't gonna work from a narrative perspective either but it's a bit egregious in some episodes.
Considering how insane stands can be, splitting up your gang and sending them out on missions in smaller groups so you don't all get ganked by one stand's trap seems smarter than always being grouped up. Talking heads did feel pretty contrived though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

And he stabbed Narancia in the face with a fork!

This only makes me further disappointed he didn't fight Ghiaccio. We missed out on a fight between two of the angriest Stand Users in Part 5. :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This only makes me further disappointed he didn't fight Ghiaccio. We missed out on a fight between two of the angriest Stand Users in Part 5. :argh:
Ghiacchio could've even covered himself from Purple Haze's dumb Saryn attack.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Preview image for this week's episode

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Ghiacchio could've even covered himself from Purple Haze's dumb Saryn attack.

Even better, he could render the virus inert.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

Preview image for this week's episode

The hair color being pink is messing with me a little, but it doesn't look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even better, he could render the virus inert.

I don't think you can really render a virus inert with cold assuming Purple Haze is a regular virus but a overcharged horrifying flesh eating disease.