Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
They're flashes but also have a 500 lumen video light that cuts out on firing so I can use those to aim, shoot macro video, or see at night.

Most animals freak out at continuous lighting but don't mind strobes. Once you get above about 1500 lumens from a single source most animals will try to avoid you, and at night you have a secondary problem of getting swarmed by plankton or sea worms or other things that are attracted to the light. They'll block your shot, and in places where there's a ton of large plankton (usually where mantas live), you'll also get them flailing around in your ears and it's the worst, most distracting feeling in the world.

Fish tend not to mind red light so I have a giant red focus light that lets me just use the strobes without continuous lighting and lets me get really close to skittish things.

The only critters that actually react to the strobes are generally either the smarter ones like octopi or cuddlefish, and whether they're bothered by it or not is sort of a personal thing. Sharks will come check you out because the capacitors charging/discharging gives off a crazy EM field, so if I rattle off a bunch of shots at the start of a dive I'll have at least one reef shark come poking around me thinking something big is dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's cool as hell. Thanks.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah I went twice in one day the last time I was there

Apparently they have special days geared towards photographers where you can just hang out on the beach for a few hours

I was wondering if they let you do that. Did you reserve two consecutive times? It's only like 7 bucks a pop so it doesn't seem unreasonable to get 3 or 4 in a row and just make a morning or afternoon of it.

The docent didn't say how much the special photographer days cost but I'm guessing it's a few hundred since it's a fundraiser.

Atlatl posted:

Haven't seen a purple slipper lobster before, normally they're grungy and green.

Mad I hosed up this shot because this dude did a driveby on me while I had my strobes on low power and aimed differently for a stonefish.

These kick rear end

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Stopped by the zoo since it was snowing. Was able to shoot through the fence in front of the maned wolves fairly well (aside from occasional focus issues).
P2100097
P2100121
P2100147
P2100175
P2100170
P2100134
P2100038
P2100213

Lhet fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 12, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Those are some cool snow shots.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Atlatl posted:

Those are some cool snow shots.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Going to Sabi Sands on safari on Sunday :dance:

Any tips? I read a post a while back in this thread which had some useful advice.

I’ve got a Fuji 100-400 and a 1.4x TC but as the game drives go off road in that region I may not need all that reach.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

I got that lens for motorsport stuff, and have been trying to catch a coyote in the snow this winter. Seen lots of both but never at the same time. :argh:

Was driving home on Saturday during blue hour and saw one, but the twitchy bastard ran off into the prairie while I was fumbling for the lens. Was probably too dark but it's the closest I've got.

Today I decided photography has nothing to do with patience and planning, it's all blind goddamn luck. I've been stalking coyotes for about four weeks now, ever since we started getting snow. I'm not what you would call an "experienced tracker" but I know what canine footprints look like and I've had my big lens mounted 3-4 times a week for the past month in spots where I see a lot of tracks. Seen one coyote in that time, and it ran off before I could get it framed.

Then today on my way back from lunch guess what I spot crossing the road. :downs:

Hunting Coyote by xzzy77, on Flickr

Pouncing Coyote by xzzy77, on Flickr

Then on my way home for the evening I saw the same coyote still hunting and got to watch it chow down on a critter. Light was real bad and I kept missing focus but I sorta got something. It was more fun to watch anyways.

Chowing Coyote by xzzy77, on Flickr

None of them are as sharp as I'd like either but I was having problems getting proper settings, every other time I've seen one of these they sprint off pretty quickly and (perhaps unwisely) I put more energy in keeping the shutter going than taking a moment to get it all dialed in.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Those are super cool!

A lot of it is luck and just hauling the camera everywhere with you. The other part is having the practice to get shots when something does happen. People ask how I get non-sasquatch turtle shots and it's just by spending 100+ hours in the water around where they live.

Finger Prince posted:

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.
Someone said it looked like Jeff Bridges and I can't unsee it.

hosed up im posting flying things here and not in the bird thread

I'm going back on a hot day to try and get shots of them doing low passes on the water to cool off/catch water on their fur to drink because I didn't know they did that and I hosed up the shots. It was cool today so only one did it while I was there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Atlatl posted:

Someone said it looked like Jeff Bridges and I can't unsee it.

W E L P
E
L
P

e: Wait, I see Jeff Daniels.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 14, 2019

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Urban critters again. Spotted a squirrel when leaving the house this morning.

Squirrel by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Then a coyote across the street while leaving a brewery.

Coyote by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Coyote by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I love this big stupid lens.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Gonna take so many squirrel pics when I get back stateside at the end of the year.

water doggos:

First time I've thrown on my polarizer for wildlife. Everything was wet and extremely shiny so it was worth the slightly lower sharpness and less light to get some colors and detail back. Shooting from a moving boat in rough water is loving awful too, I have no idea how someone could do it for any amount of time without sea legs.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Atlatl posted:

Shooting from a moving boat in rough water is loving awful too, I have no idea how someone could do it for any amount of time without sea legs.

the whales I posted earlier in this thread were from a like 12ft boat with big swells and about 8 of 500 shots weren't blurry.

the seals are adorable :3:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Update on big dumb lens: Still loving it. Kinda want Canon to hurry up and release a 7D3 so I can have a proper pro body with a crop sensor.

Seems today's theme was tongues.

Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

More here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskN9PcVp

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

send nudis

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Golfing today.

From the 9th Fairway by B. B., on Flickr

From the 9th by B. B., on Flickr

Watching my final approach shot by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
while u were partying i was studying the blade
_______________/

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Went to visit Chicagoland's elk herd this weekend. I'll have to check in every few weeks and document this bull's antler growth between now and September.

Busse Woods Elk by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Baby came up to snoot bump the camera (sharks love weird electrical fields) and then ran me over.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man underwater stuff is so loving cool.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

jarlywarly posted:

Man underwater stuff is so loving cool.

Extreme truth

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Yeah, I follow Atlatl on Flickr, and their stuff is like nothing else in my feed. Good poo poo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

This is unreal. Holy poo poo.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Atlatl posted:

Baby came up to snoot bump the camera (sharks love weird electrical fields) and then ran me over.

That's awesome. I saw an orca fin in the water like a football field away from me and nearly poo poo my pants with excitement, can't imagine the rush of being that close.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You have got the coolest job.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've got 2 weeks left before I have to pack up all my gear and move to where I won't be close to any saltwater. :smithicide:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

This is great. Sea turtles are awesome.

How about some bee photos!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Those look like some big bees. The black one in flight is very cool, must be tricky to get that to focus.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

DorianGravy posted:

How about some bee photos!

Really enjoying these bees. Especially since being allergic means I won't get near them myself.

Took a trip to the Granby Zoo.

Yak by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Patas monkey by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Macaque by cha_reckoning, on Flickr
This little guy was fascinated with the conifer needles.

Clownfish 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
This lizard is like 2-3 ft long and keeps showing up in my driveway, but as soon as I get out the door it takes off behind the fence.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Atlatl posted:

This lizard is like 2-3 ft long and keeps showing up in my driveway, but as soon as I get out the door it takes off behind the fence.

Lizards can get used to people pretty quick, especially large ones. If you can sit in his line of sight for a while he'll learn to ignore you. Nice shot, too.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

first time I've seen a mink since I've had a dslr while it was bright enough to have a decent chance of getting a picture. Sorry they are soft I still haven't totally figured out this lens or the camera.
bonus squirrel

Dairy Days fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 2, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Hiked like 20 km today, tons of monkeys out and lots of babies. The hardest decision this little dude had to make all day was which stick to put in his mouth first:

alas, poor yorick,

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Holy gently caress. :3:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Are those the kind of monkeys that steal things from people? Because that’s fun too.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Nah, this is at Kamikochi which is a national park and they're not getting fed by people so they aren't trained to do stuff like that. They like to use the same walkways and bridges as people and they will jump at you if you cut them off or approach too directly for their liking though.

If you're just walking or hanging out they'll come within three feet of you no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just look at this fat bastard.

Fatso by B. B., on Flickr