Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

I really don't have a horse in the pro-Foote/anti-Foote race ( :haw: ) but I will say that this is a kind of big thing. A lot of interpretations come and go and are refined and built upon by others. When it comes to social justice hot-button issues it can get really, really difficult to judge older works by contemporary standards. It's worth noting that Foote's major works date from before the 70s, when the discourse was, if not dominated, than at least heavily influenced by the DAC "heritage" crows.

The other thing to keep in mind is that he was not a trained historian. We can have the whole conversation about how to judge non-academically trained historians in comparison to the ones with fancy degrees, but suffice it to say that each brings a different approach. It's also important to remember that Foote was, initially, far better known as a novelist. That's how he came to the Civil War as a topic in the first place. I don't say this as a condemnation, but it's important when understanding his approach to the subject. He's not writing academic histories, a fact for which he was heavily criticized by academic historians at the time. His Narrative series, his major historical work, reads more like an easily accessible novel than a careful analysis of the events of those times. Frankly that's what helped it get the popular traction that it did. He's more in the vein of Tuchman (who also has significant problems but remains very readable) than Glatthaar.

Finally, you have to remember who he was and where (and when) he lived. He was born in 1916 in Mississippi. He was college educated (UNC-Chapel Hill), and above all white. Finding a man of his background and generation who would match up to our current understanding of race and its place in American History would be difficult at best.

My take on him is that he was always a lot more of a "moonlight and magnolias" rather than a lost causer. That's pretty bullshit by today's standards but for a white elite (in the educational sense) southerner in the 1950s-70s is pretty good. If nothing else he was a good trojan horse to introduce "no, really, it was about slaves" into the southern consciousness via a broadly readable three volume set that southern, white readers wouldn't be scared away from. Remember, some of the people buying these books in the 1950s had grandfathers who were Confederate ACW vets. gently caress, some of them had [i]fathers[/s] who were confederate vets. Think about how emotionally invested people get in this poo poo today, and now imagine that you're trying to explain that someone's father was a traitor who fought for a system of chattel slavery. There are some good loving reasons why "this was super tragic and the people who lost are still Americans and not villains" was a major theme for so long.

Note again that this doesn't make Foote's interpretation the correct one or the one that we should hold up as the pinnacle of scholarship today. it does, however, place it in its proper context. He wasn't a bad person, and for his time he was probably pretty progressive, but still falls short when measured to the standards of today.

Well said, agreed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

There was malaria in East Anglia until the 20th century. Finland had malaria in the 19th century.

i was just now looking at some of the history of East Anglia and I found this quote on the issue of draining the swamps funny:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mr Enderby posted:

There was malaria in East Anglia until the 20th century. Finland had malaria in the 19th century.

It wasn't wiped out in the Netherlands until the 1960s.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

StandardVC10 posted:

So is there a reason that they stopped counting halfway down Florida?

The Everglades. Nobody really lived there other than a few Seminoles who escaped resettlement during the Seminole Wars. Other than that, you had less than a hundred people living near what's now Miami and some naval bases in the Keys. The furthest south you had "civilization" was probably Tampa-Fort Brooke, which was about 1000 people.

Here's a political map from 1860. You'll note the lack of really anything in southern Florida

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/3900/f3980/f3980z.htm

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StandardVC10 posted:

Beaten, but the legend says for those regions are not included because there's fewer than 2 people per square mile, according to the 1870 census.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

southern florida is naturally just a giant for real terrible swamp and was effectively uninhabited until the 20th century. like, it was the last refuge for native americans and escaped african americans on the east coast. the us government tried three times to kill off all the seminoles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole_Wars

and it wasn't until railroads and steam power that it could be developed by industrial processes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_land_boom_of_the_1920s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so this is a weird question but since we're talking about an almost unpopulated area--can animals that are not human suffer from malaria

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

fewer than 2 people per square mile, according to the 1870 census.

Note that the 1870 census definition of "people" is also not our current one, so the area isn't middle-of-nowhere-Nevada-desert-style totally uninhabited.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

so this is a weird question but since we're talking about an almost unpopulated area--can animals that are not human suffer from malaria

I haven't read this yet but it looks like a discussion of what other species can get malaria, and which are benign hosts. it says Hawaiian birds got hosed up by malaria :(

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/malaria-affects-animals-as-well-as-humans/3130296#transcript

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

Hundreds of them. Malaria is caused by an entire genius of microorganisms, and can be subtly different spending on the exact species a victim is infected by. Many species of the malarial microorganisms infect non-human species.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Magical Mr. Anopheles!

E:

quote:

Etymology

From Ancient Greek ἀνωφελής (anōphelḗs, “useless”).

Mods, namechange plz, &c. &c.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 10, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's possible we might live to see mosquitos go the way of smallpox. whether that's a net good is I guess an open question

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
interesting. so i shouldn't say "it's the everglades, let the manatees have it" becuase they might actually get sick

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

luxury handset posted:

southern florida is naturally just a giant for real terrible swamp and was effectively uninhabited until the 20th century. like, it was the last refuge for native americans and escaped african americans on the east coast. the us government tried three times to kill off all the seminoles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole_Wars

and it wasn't until railroads and steam power that it could be developed by industrial processes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_land_boom_of_the_1920s

one of my favorite tidbits in the St Augustine Star Fort museum (which owns, everyone should go to it) is that when the British took it from the Spaniards, the garrison's response was "heck yeah, we get to get the gently caress out of Florida"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is yellow fever just and old timey way of saying malaria?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

it's possible we might live to see mosquitos go the way of smallpox. whether that's a net good is I guess an open question

eh. . . mosquito extinction remains firmly in the realm of science fiction. More plausibly with modern control schemes we might be able to achieve 99% pest mosquito eradication in a localized area, which could be enough to interrupt disease transmission. Alternatively some researchers have realized anti-malarial drugs which Plasmodium is immune to in humans are still effective at killing the parasite inside the mosquitoes. In places where the mosquitoes are now resistant to pesticides it may make more sense to cure the bugs rather than kill them.

Today though eradication still remains a dream, Aedes aegypti first appeared in Central California in like 2013, and the state was basically helpless to stop its spread. I've never seen anyone seriously argue that if we could remove them, we shouldn't. I'm sure they exist but they must be very marginal voices.

Schadenboner posted:

No, it is a completely different disease spread by entirely different mosquito, Aedes aegypti rather than the Anopheles sp. responsible for malaria transmission. Yellow Fever is much deadlier than malaria however it can be prevented with a vaccine so it is a bit easier to control.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schadenboner posted:

Nope. Completely different mosquito-borne tropical disease.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schadenboner posted:

nope. it's a virus spread by Aedes mosquitos that gives you jaundice, malaria's a tiny parasitic animal spread by Anopheles mosquitos that gives you the sweats

edit: the old timey way of saying malaria is "ague" or "quaternian/tertian fever" (named after its schedule)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 10, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

one of my favorite tidbits in the St Augustine Star Fort museum (which owns, everyone should go to it) is that when the British took it from the Spaniards, the garrison's response was "heck yeah, we get to get the gently caress out of Florida"
i may have been to that museum, is that the same museum that mentions the entire spanish garrison lived in town, drank wine, and started their working day at noonish

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m glad I live where the wind stings my face six months of the year.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schadenboner posted:

there's probably horrifying diseases there too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

there's probably horrifying diseases there too

Arteriosclerosis and obesity?

:shrug:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

No. Malaria is a disease caused by a parasite called plasmodium, which lives inside Anopheles mosquitoes. It causes recurrent fevers and chills, and can also have other bad effects; nausea, jaundice, retinal failure, etc.

Yellow Fever is caused by a virus just called yellow fever virus. It's carried in Aedes mosquitos, usually Aedes aegypti. It causes fever, chills, and jaundice (which is why it's called "yellow fever", because of the jaundice).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Squalid posted:

eh. . . mosquito extinction remains firmly in the realm of science fiction. More plausibly with modern control schemes we might be able to achieve 99% pest mosquito eradication in a localized area, which could be enough to interrupt disease transmission.

Gene drives could theoretically do a lot better

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Nope. Completely different mosquito-borne tropical disease.

Holy poo poo someone could have won a LOT of money off of me making a bet on this.

Sort of like how I was at one point absolutely sure that Steve Martin was an SNL cast member.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bewbies posted:

Holy poo poo someone could have won a LOT of money off of me making a bet on this.

Sort of like how I was at one point absolutely sure that Steve Martin was an SNL cast member.

I figured it spread by mosquitoes, made you yellow (killed your liver), and gave you a fever: yeah why not call it “yellow fever”?

:shrug:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Gene drives could theoretically do a lot better

oh maybe science fiction is an exaggeration. That's definitely an extremely promising technology. If it can actually wipe out dangerous vectors I doubt anyone is going to mount a serious objection. I haven't heard anyone crying over the plight of the poor Guinea Worm lately.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Weird questions that I'm gonna ask here:

1. What in the name of god is brown prismatic gun powder?

2. So, I'm trying to figure out how the guidance system for the A4/V-2 works. I understand most of it, but I've come this far so I have to ask:

You have gyroscopes spinning freely in one axis, and these gyroscopes - create an analog signal via its spinning. They spin at 20,000 RPM which if I'm not mistaken translates to approximately 333 Hz. So, I've seen a few illustrations, and they all feature a shaft spinning a induction (?) motor to make AC current. Now I'm assuming this is how the control signal is generated. First question: is that shaft mechanically connected to the gyroscope?

Second - how the hell do analog control signals work? Since I figured out the frequency timing (lol, assuming I got it right) Does angular momentum on the gyro's measured axis change the timing of that signal, so force in one direction changes the signal to 340 Hz, which the machine interprets this deviation from 333 Hz as correct by X, and a force in the other means 320 Hz on the signal means a correction of Y?

PS> if this is incomprehensible is there perhaps some sort of PYF your analog electro-mechanical control system questions in

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Weird questions that I'm gonna ask here:

1. What in the name of god is brown prismatic gun powder?

Slightly more efficient stuff than plain black powder. It was used for a couple decades or so in the late 1800s, then the first modern smokeless powders (cordite etc) were invented.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Worth considering that scientists currently believe malaria and yellow fever only arrived in the Americas after European contact. We spend a lot of time focusing on diseases like smallpox as part of that, but yellow fever and malaria were super hard on everyone in the Americas once it'd had time to spread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mosquitos haven't been eradicated in my neighborhood (there's a lake a half mile away), but two years worth of releasing large batches of sterile males have dropped them below "nuisance" all the way to "rarity". In season, I used to have dozens on the ceiling over every lamp in my apartment. The last decade or so I don't recall having two visible at once. Eradication, no. Seriously suppressed, yes.

It helps that California mosquitoes don't think I'm tasty; Massachusetts ones sure did when I was a kid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Enderby posted:

Finland had malaria cases in the 20th century even but the source was German soldiers moving from southern Russia in 1944 (before that in 1918).

Also rather than bogs the plasmodium thrived here in cattle shelters where the temperature was even and pleasant throughout the year.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah it's not great but snow does kill evil.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

That's because winter itself is a greater evil.

Source: lived in New England and broke my internal temperature gauge.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The last Doolittle Raider, Lt. Colonel Richard "Dick" Cole, died yesterday at the humble age of 103.

Dude had a hell of a life.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Except in the case of some places that are so cold that they can preserve diseases for long after the scourge has faded from this earth and current populations no longer have resistance to.

Like how Longyearbyen might've preserved viable samples of Spanish Flu for a hundred years.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
maps, and whatnot

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1115273153616461825

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oops

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/04/dutch-f-16-takes-cannon-fire-from-itself/

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
iirc the original F/A-18 design had a problem with its bombs and missiles not separating fast enough and they could bonk back into the plane

EDIT:

Everybody sometimes has problems letting go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPTnmZ_HPAs

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommonShore posted:

I want to decorate my entire home with old maps that depict grim poo poo like malarial death distribution.

I really wanted to get into map and globe and maybe navigation equipment collecting years ago but they're harder to find in antique stores than you'd think.