Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ontario is a loving circus right now and unless you want to spend an absolute fortune in rent you are going to live somewhere terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Yes but the Liberal messaging right now is mostly "What do you want, Scheer to be Prime Minister?" it's not an accident that they want him more involved in the story.

This is an all Liberal scandal, there's no need for him to pipe up and extra seriously demand Trudeau resign some more.

I understand what you're saying, but every new crumb of news that keeps this in the press is good for the Conservatives. The Liberals need to take steps to turn the page, but instead, everything they do pours more fuel on the fire.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Here in Ontario we just had a mass student walk out, a rally against the cuts to education this past saturday, and in a couple weeks another provincial wide rally against the cuts to healthcare. I seriously don't understand my fellow Ontarians, this is exactly what Conservatives do when they get power, why are we so angry now?

I dunno maybe its just my bubble echo chamber but I don't know a single person who voted for Ford. poo poo's bananas right now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The people who prayed for "anything but Wynne" got their wish

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Archaic posted:

Here in Ontario we just had a mass student walk out, a rally against the cuts to education this past saturday, and in a couple weeks another provincial wide rally against the cuts to healthcare. I seriously don't understand my fellow Ontarians, this is exactly what Conservatives do when they get power, why are we so angry now?

I dunno maybe its just my bubble echo chamber but I don't know a single person who voted for Ford. poo poo's bananas right now.

The voting map was extremely divided. It's not a clear urban/rural split, but the places that went NDP went hard NDP, and the same for Conservative ridings.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Archaic posted:

Yeah, on one hand Ford is a cartoonishly evil administration but on the other hand they're going to be a one term government and a whole new generation is getting politically active and learning not to trust Conservatives.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Yeah, on one hand Ford is a cartoonishly evil administration but on the other hand they're going to be a one term government and a whole new generation is getting politically active and learning not to trust Conservatives.

I think you could have said the same thing about the Harris PCs in '97, and, welp.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

I think you could have said the same thing about the Harris PCs in '97, and, welp.

I was never surprised that Harris won re-election. I will be surprised if Ford does.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I will not be.

We'll be sitting here in the smoldering ruins of the civil service, with every social program and business regulation razed and the same idiots screaming about their entitlements and how terrible their lives are will vote for him again. I bet we could beat Walkerton with deaths directly attributable to Ford policies and it wouldn't hurt him a bit.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another Bill posted:

You are putting a lot of faith in the NDP having a strong showing and being able to convert like 10 ridings they haven't won in Ontario in 25+ years. With as much hatred as the province has for the libs right now, the NDP didn't make enough headway with regular folk, hence the lovely CPC election result.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I wake up everyday and thank my lucky stars I'm not a miserable son of a bitch.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The "radical NDP", wanting things like human dignity and literate grade schoolers

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, he'll win a minority next time and then step aside and Christine Elliott or Caroline Mulroney will run and get two more terms. #douglife

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Can you imagine a scenario in which Doug Ford pisses off the suburbs badly enough that they actually don't vote PC? What do you think it would take?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I don't think it will be taking a hatchet to social services and education because :bahgawd:deficit, foreigners, illegal immigration, unions:bahgawd:

Maybe, maybe a full blown healthcare crisis or something, but it'd have to be pretty bad.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
having your picture taken while riding a bike

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

having your picture taken while riding a bike

we've got him now!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I don't think it will be taking a hatchet to social services and education because :bahgawd:deficit, foreigners, illegal immigration, unions:bahgawd:

Maybe, maybe a full blown healthcare crisis or something, but it'd have to be pretty bad.

How are the autism cuts playing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as far as i can tell the only people who care are people who are directly affected because they have kids in the programs. there's a few very vocal online, but probably completely invisible otherwise

but this is it, you'll get a bunch of atomized groups that are up in arms over their specific grievance after the thing they use gets cut, but unless the NDP manage to pull their heads from their asses to point out how they're all victims of PC policies, there's no broader movement.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Apr 8, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zapplez posted:

You are putting a lot of faith in the NDP having a strong showing and being able to convert like 10 ridings they haven't won in Ontario in 25+ years. With as much hatred as the province has for the libs right now, the NDP didn't make enough headway with regular folk, hence the lovely CPC election result.

low voter turnout didn't help

(or Canada's hosed up democratic system)

I was honestly surprised, because I figured with TUMP actively loving with Ontario's economy it'd tank the chances of Ford because he's really too trumpy-dumpty

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

we've got him now!

Aaaaaaaaah time to rebuild suburb cred

quote:

Ontario to legalize tailgating at sporting events

Sports fans in Ontario will soon be able to have a drink and tailgate before a game.

The government will announce in its budget this week that it will legalize the practice often seen in parking lots at sporting events in the United States.

Premier Doug Ford’s executive director of strategic communications tweeted that the change means the government is treating adults like adults.

Tailgating will be made possible by amending a regulation that sets out the terms for special occasion liquor permits.

Permit holders would also be able to sell alcohol on their property.

The news comes after thousands of teachers and supporters descended on the legislature over the weekend to protest education changes, including larger high school class sizes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people enjoy sporting events, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Look at the bright side.

You can now drink your buck-a-beer in a parking lot while dying of an easily preventable illness.

It'll also help you forget how dumb your kids are cause their school closed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not-quite-buck-a-beer is still cheaper than the meds no longer covered by OHIP+

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You'll also be able to tailgate in the parking lot of the hospital so if your mom doesn't make it through her surgery without anesthesia, you won't be as sad.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Archaic posted:

I seriously don't understand my fellow Ontarians, this is exactly what Conservatives do when they get power, why are we so angry now?

Probably the 60% of people who didn't vote for them yet still have to deal with a CPC supermajority stripping away all their rights and social security?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

low voter turnout didn't help

(or Canada's hosed up democratic system)

I was honestly surprised, because I figured with TUMP actively loving with Ontario's economy it'd tank the chances of Ford because he's really too trumpy-dumpty

lol no my dude 40% of ontario voters see trump loving with ontario's economy and think "ah what we need is our own trump to balance that out"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

vyelkin posted:

lol no my dude 40% of ontario voters see trump loving with ontario's economy and think "ah what we need is our own trump to balance that out"

And then Albertans look at Ontario and the US and go "gently caress yeah bud, let's do that here!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people enjoy sporting events, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0Sd44LAuc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MY FUCKIN CAR HOME" ~Sam Kinision, 1953-1992, cause of death unknown.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1115315601994592256

it's nice to have a reminder that canada's conservatives, for as craven and cruel and corrupt and totally shitheaded as they are, are always gonna be small time dweeby losers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Powershift posted:

"HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MY FUCKIN CAR HOME" ~Sam Kinision, 1953-1992, cause of death unknown.

Uhhh, his death sounds pretty out of nowhere and not his fault.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ontario is a loving circus right now and unless you want to spend an absolute fortune in rent you are going to live somewhere terrible

Come on down to Sarnia! The rent is cheap and we have nice beaches.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Please do not encourage self harm ITT

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

did we ever find out if chairmaster died?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kly posted:

did we ever find out if chairmaster died?

utofukoku posted:

Well unfortunately I'm still alive so you people can stop pretending to give a poo poo about me (e/n post for anyone curious about what happened). Normally I wouldn't bother posting to let anyone know but I actually feel pretty bad for Lightning Knight (and nobody else). I assume this account is going to be permabanned just like my last one and any future ones I make, but I'm not going to do the avshalom thing and pay $10 a day to post in perpetuity. I'm at least glad I could help to get you people to see what a disgusting selfish peice of poo poo pt6a has always been. I hope someone else can bother to call him (and others) out on it in the future since none of you will likely hear from me again.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He then re-reged again and posted a thread about how the world should just end already in GBS and went back to his old tricks of posting in the global warming thread.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
The Ottawa real estate market: making rational, informed decisions.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1654600

"I'm locked in a $900,000.00 commitment before any building started. Richcraft owns me. I am a smart person"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

why would anybody need a helping hand to see what kind of person pt6a is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

So I started reading Clearing the Plains today. I'm looking for particular information, so I'm kinda reading most of it quickly, but I found a cool fact that I think meaningfully recontextualizes the relationship between Indigenous Peoples and early fur traders: Most of the early fur trade, the Europeans were taking on what was basically second-hand clothing. They wanted the soft underfur of the beaver pelts, but lacked the technology to easily remove the harder, protective longer fur. This meant that the Europeans mostly bought fur clothing that had been worn for several years, long enough for the protective longer fur to have worn off.

It’s a good book, OP. I’m still harvesting anecdotes and data from it. If I ever get it down to a manageable size, I will effort post it up.