Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So it seems I resolved the issue of my Irish Queen not being able to pass any laws through her idiot vassals by removing those vassals one by one until the vote passed. Don't like her for it? More titles for her and her only son.

I wish I could increase Crown Authority while I'm at it, but the game forbids me from changing anymore laws until such a period she'll almost certainly be dead. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

Should I be worried?

Yikes

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

So it seems I resolved the issue of my Irish Queen not being able to pass any laws through her idiot vassals by removing those vassals one by one until the vote passed. Don't like her for it? More titles for her and her only son.

I wish I could increase Crown Authority while I'm at it, but the game forbids me from changing anymore laws until such a period she'll almost certainly be dead. Oops.

The good news is that after ten years of your next ruler you can repeat the cycle of installing simpering idiot yes men on your council, pass some laws, and then
mollifying your angry vassals again until it's time for more legislating. It's the circle of feudal life.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey, just established the Empire of Alba from one little Irish province. Got Tanistry succession early and have gotten most of my vassals on the feudalism train. Won a crusade against the reformed Germanics recently and gave some cousin the lands I'd taken in Denmark. Catharism had been spreading like wildfire in England but ended up getting stamped out without me doing anything. I'd hoped to convert secretly it but never got approached and none of my direct vassals converted. Now catholic moral authority is back up to 99%, up from like 12% and all the fun heresies are dying out.

What should I do now? I wanna run this one out until 1453 for the achievement so I'm kinda looking for fun stuff while I wait for the Aztecs and run down the clock.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Do science on the great works stuff?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Question: My capital got sieged down and I lost the Ancient Crown that you get for reforming Slavic. I settled the guy who had it and now it's in the hands of one of my counts - what's the best way to get it back? Marry the owner to my heir?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I tried an Old Gods start last night and did some raiding for the first time, was a lot of fun once I figured it out.

I also managed to reform Germanic Paganism, which, when it fired, made my young lover (and daughter-in-law) Fylkir. She granted me a divorce from my jealous same-age wife on day 1 but I’m not able to marry her. The priests can get married, but not the fylkir. I chose Dogmatic, Sons of Ragnarok, Astrology, and the separate head (hence my lover becoming fykir and not me). Oh and I also gave her Uppsala as sort of a papal state. But both before and after that happened it wouldn’t let me marry her.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you say daughter in law so I kinda have to ask the obvious question here: is she married?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I’m fairly certain the son she was married to was long dead due to a society duel by that point. I may have married her to my other son in the meantime and not remembered so I’ll have to check.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Foul Fowl posted:

Question: My capital got sieged down and I lost the Ancient Crown that you get for reforming Slavic. I settled the guy who had it and now it's in the hands of one of my counts - what's the best way to get it back? Marry the owner to my heir?

Murder until you're the heir of the owner, and then murder again.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
That event popped for the first time for me yesterday. I think I mentioned a while back that one of the Frankish Loupings inherited the HRE crown back in the 800s and it fell into my personal treasury not long after. I renamed it Basquet Case and had been using it as the crown of Navarra ever since. I finally created the empire of Hispania in the 1320s and later got the event to pay almost 900 gold to keep it. I don’t know what percentage of my yearly income that was but I could easily afford it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The huge pain is if you're in Africa, an event about almost losing a treasury item to flooding unless you throw a vast fortune away fires roughly every two minutes.

It's probably just the advisors getting themselves paid. "Holy poo poo he fell for it again!"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Asehujiko posted:

Somebody talk Great Works to me, I have no idea what to do with those. Do I spam level 1's all over my republic every time I hit 1.6k? Do I focus on maxing one out in my capital? Or my silk road connection? In either of those cases, which ones do I build? The game is uncharacteristically vague on what they actually do.
They actually have typically minor effects vs their cost. Like, level 4 Great Walls in and of itself gives 1.25 local fort level, 10% siege defense, and .4 prestige/month.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Strudel Man posted:

They actually have typically minor effects vs their cost. Like, level 4 Great Walls in and of itself gives 1.25 local fort level, 10% siege defense, and .4 prestige/month.

Yeah they seem really bad and only worth it as vanity projects. Just like irl i suppose

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Palemdromes posted:

Yeah they seem really bad and only worth it as vanity projects. Just like irl i suppose

Any one of them can build watchtowers that give +10% levy size, which is extremely worth it imo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

how much did that cost? at the emperor level i could easily see dropping like 1k coins on .4 prestige a month, that will add up fast.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Any one of them can build watchtowers that give +10% levy size, which is extremely worth it imo.
Eh. For comparison, level 2 keep gives +10% both levy and garrison for 200 gold.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I mean if it was a binary choice, one or the other, then sure. But anything to permanently increase the number of dudes you can raise is a good thing and by the time you're an emperor you can definitely afford to blow a bunch of cash on a vanity project that makes your capital county better. 10% more guys in five castles is pretty decent in my mind.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean if it was a binary choice, one or the other, then sure. But anything to permanently increase the number of dudes you can raise is a good thing and by the time you're an emperor you can definitely afford to blow a bunch of cash on a vanity project that makes your capital county better. 10% more guys in five castles is pretty decent in my mind.
It's better than nothing, but by and large they seem to be a benefit on the order of or smaller than another regular building.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Best Friends posted:

The huge pain is if you're in Africa, an event about almost losing a treasury item to flooding unless you throw a vast fortune away fires roughly every two minutes.

It's probably just the advisors getting themselves paid. "Holy poo poo he fell for it again!"

Does anybody know of a mod to tone this down or just turn it off? Or how to get into the files and do it myself? I'd like to play in the cool new Africa, but this flooding nonsense was so aggravating I just gave up on it.

I don't really understand why Paradox put in all the work to make sub-Saharan Africa so much more interesting to play in, and then at the same time also decided to create a bespoke regional "gently caress You" mechanic that only impacts you if you decide to take them up on it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Coolguye posted:

how much did that cost? at the emperor level i could easily see dropping like 1k coins on .4 prestige a month, that will add up fast.
Without tech reductions, 5000 gold flat plus another 3 gold * 1200 months ticking, so 8600 base. In practice maybe 75-80% of that.

Talky posted:

Does anybody know of a mod to tone this down or just turn it off? Or how to get into the files and do it myself?
events/hf_african_flavor_events.txt. HF.15120 is the tombola for what rain-related events you get, and I believe the three nastiest events it gives are HF.15121 (landslide) HF.15123 (molding library) and HF.15124 (flooded armory). You can turn down the weight to give those events, currently at a base 10 each.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2019

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
You're a saint, thanks!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9w5U1rSd88

Youtube for some reason recommended this video to me....titled Incest only challenge.....I watched it from beginning to end....there is a strong urge to reinstall this game now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had three emperors in a row assassinated before reaching adulthood. Maybe I shouldn't have switched to primogeniture.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

As requested: CK2 stream Let's Learn happening soon! We are starting in 5 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/user/timewarriors/live

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GOOD GOD FIX YOUR MIC it's peaking like a motherfucker

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I haven't tried it yet in-game, but from trawling the files it looks like the garden is one of the better wonders. Not so much in itself, but if you have the mystic trait, you can upgrade it with a fountain of youth, apparently visitable once per decade to reduce your age by 2 years. (Or, if you're a lunatic, you can also use it to increase your age by two years.)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The one with the tech spread is my favorite so far. I think it's the great library.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

The one with the tech spread is my favorite so far. I think it's the great library.
Eh, the actual tech growth (i.e., spread bonus) it gives is notably inferior to even a single level of a regular university building. Great Library level 4 in itself gives 5% tech growth for each group; if you give it all of its unique upgrades, there's another 10% military, 10% economy, 5% culture and 1% universal, for a net 16%/16%/11% military/economy/culture growth. Whereas one university level gives 30% growth of everything.

Great Library does give .10 culture points, though, which is more than you get from both levels of the school you can build in temple holdings (giving .08 culture and 30% tech growth total). And it enables an event hunting down rare books that can increase your characters' learning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

GOOD GOD FIX YOUR MIC it's peaking like a motherfucker

did it stop doing this? nobody said anything in chat, and i did not read the thread after getting in on things.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was being kinda hypersensitive and also a dick, sorry about that. Actual content seemed good. In future I'd suggest turning down your gain and turning your master up.

e: just gave your stream a quick listen, skipped through it in 10-min increments, it sounds fine and i was being waaaaaaaaaaaay too critical. the guy with the british/anzac accent WAS peaking a little near the beginning but it wasn't that bad.

e2: watching it now and the icon on your channel says it's 4 hours 54 minutes long but only 2 hours are showing up when I click the link on Youtube. I think it cut off the first part since the video starts at AD 798 or so.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 9, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

YouTube always does that poo poo while it is processing the DVR. Check back tomorrow and it should all be up I think. 5 hours might be too much even for that though, and if it is that’s my bad!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Military Wharf upgrade for the Great Harbor gives a 15% bonus to siege speed, which is always a nice bonus.
Herb Garden upgrade (requires Hermetic Society) gives a small health bonus + periodic herbs.
Tavern upgrade can remove stressed once a year (and has a 5% chance to give Drunkard when doing so)
The Royal Bedchamber + Secluded Groves combined give a 10% bonus to fertility.

There are a couple more that provide things like faster morale recovery, extra plot power, etc. but I feel like the above ones are what I would use most often. The Lighthouse also provides a hefty bonus to trade value in the province it is built in, so it's probably worth putting somewhere on a trade route.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Doing an RP campaign right now where I’m trying to stay relatively small to make an interesting eu4 conversion. I declared a papal war to restore some of the pope’s land in Romagna that was held by heretics...and the pope joined the war against me along with the HRE and some other kings. Near as I can tell the guy I declared on converted for some reason after my war dec, and it didn’t force a white peace. Since he was no longer a heretic I was now in a holy war against other Catholics, so of course they all Deus Vulted on me.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 10, 2019

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Tavern upgrade can remove stressed once a year (and has a 5% chance to give Drunkard when doing so
"Can," I'd say, oversells it. It enables a new event in the random on_yearly_pulse triggers...but that thing is so overstuffed with events that it's barely worth mentioning. At best, even ignoring all competing events, it has a <2% chance of firing per year.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I'm guessing it's the (new?) one where it talks about some artifact being an antique or only there for sentimental value or whatever and you can either pay money to keep it or you can trash it. The cost looks like it scales to your current wealth or maybe your income and so far it hasn't been TOO prohibitive although I did have to pay two grand to keep a tier 4 sword on this current emperor which was, admittedly, three years income, so.
I just checked that one out. It looks like it's actually a benefit to the player; sorta - instead of a flat 5% chance of an artifact being destroyed on inheritance like we used to have, there's instead a 5% chance of this event being fired for the player, so you get to pick if you want to let it be destroyed or pay money to keep it.

You pay more depending on the quality of the artifact, though it's only supposed to go up to 1 year's income by the looks of the event.

edit: Wow, that's an oversight. They put in some coding for personally adopting a secret faith to ensure that you won't get a game over by switching to the religion of a DLC you don't have...but they failed to put the zoroastrian group in the check at all, so in vanilla you can't openly announce your zoroastrianism.

Might be possible to do it through the secret cult decision, but not through the one that's always supposed to be available.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 10, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It looks like if you're a lunatic you can build a statue of your horse/chancellor!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lunatics also get to make pyramids, regardless of their culture! :eng101:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Lunatics also get to make pyramids, regardless of their culture! :eng101:

Excellent! :D And to think I was just wondering earlier today, that surely someone egotistical and/or insane should be able to build one, regardless!
I really should jump back in, since I only played a little bit after HF came out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Basically, yes, it's great being insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing a Shattered Worlds save and when I do the 'expand new holding' event it generates the holding but it's completely greyed out and I can't interact with it. Trying to google the problem leads to posts from 4 years ago. Is that event just broken on SW?