Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He denied them, got more women to say he was good and mandy was bad than there were women saying the opposite, and then said "because of this, it's impossible to not take my side."

So he didn't actually disprove anything, he denied them, presented some character witnesses, and is claiming that solved the whole thing.

Oh, so nothing new. I thought maybe something else cropped up while I wasn't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Warthur posted:

Wasn't it, in fact, the only supplement put out for 5th edition? Mind you, the 5th edition core book was such a horrible turd that it was astonishing that they managed to produce a supplement even less funny than that.
Yes it was. They apparently had another adventure book planned but the whole thing tanked so hard it never happened.

moths posted:

Oops, I only remember that they skipped 4th. Late 2nd had a really different vibe with the mega-oops and post-mega-oops settings, and I just assumed that was 3rd.
There were no third or fourth editions. That was the whole "joke".

e: When he got control of the game back, Alan Varney declared everything between People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure and XP edition to be "unbooks", which also includes the whole Secret Society Wars thing and Post-Crash/ReBoot Alpha.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 9, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

There were no third or fourth editions. That was the whole "joke".

e: When he got control of the game back, Alan Varney declared everything between People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure and XP edition to be "unbooks", which also includes the whole Secret Society Wars thing and Post-Crash/ReBoot Alpha.

Amusingly enough, if you go with the Varney canonical editions then it goes like this:

1st edition, 2nd edition: WEG, before the Darkness.
(Interregnum)
3rd edition: Paranoia XP, Mongoose restores light and hope to the world.
4th edition: The 25th anniversary editions from 2009 (basically a slimmed down XP for Troubleshooters, a fattened-up HIL Sector BLUEs for Internal Security and a brand-new game for playing High Programmers).
5th edition: White Box, AKA Red Clearance Edition, AKA Wallis' Folly.

Lesson: whichever canon you work with, 5th edition Paranoia is the worst.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

To be fair, it's entirely appropriate that Paranoia has an entire edition that's been redacted.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

To be fair, it's entirely appropriate that Paranoia has an entire edition that's been redacted.
Soon to be two editions, hopefully.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He denied them, got more women to say he was good and mandy was bad than there were women saying the opposite, and then said "because of this, it's impossible to not take my side."

So he didn't actually disprove anything, he denied them, presented some character witnesses, and is claiming that solved the whole thing.

Taking people saying "Even if Mandy's post was false, which it isn't, Zak is still an rear end in a top hat who shouldn't come back" and changing it to "Even if Mandy's post was false, which it isn't, Zak is still an rear end in a top hat who shouldn't come back" is some incredible sleight of hand too :captainpop:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It wasn't even that slick.

Zak: "Mandy punched me in the head once. My head hit the seat back and it was scaaaaaryyyy"

From the dude who would randomly choke women that he heard "were into kink" in public.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a problem with those kinds of people. Women can only be victims if they're perfect victims. Any kind of retaliation at all ruins their saintly glow.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Kurieg posted:

It's a problem with those kinds of people. Women can only be victims if they're perfect victims. Any kind of retaliation at all ruins their saintly glow.

I really get the sense that they're just looking for an excuse/justification to abuse women. (Perhaps my Captain Obvious cape is showing?)

Like, "Oh, she hit me back? She deserves this!" is part of their internal monologue whenever they see a woman defend herself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

actually3raccoons posted:

I really get the sense that they're just looking for an excuse/justification to abuse women. (Perhaps my Captain Obvious cape is showing?)

Like, "Oh, she hit me back? She deserves this!" is part of their internal monologue whenever they see a woman defend herself.

It also came up when some people came around with accusations against Holden and Morke.

One of the accusers had, in the past, defended CAS (when the accusations against him were "He's anti-semitic") and once the harassment stuff came out they publicly cut ties and disavowed CAS. Buuut since she at one point defended CAS that meant that they were no longer allowed to accuse anyone of anything Please ignore how Holden has defended Morke in the past that's completely different or that holden has had accusations come out against him as wellshut up shut up shut up

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Kurieg posted:

It also came up when some people came around with accusations against Holden and Morke.

One of the accusers had, in the past, defended CAS (when the accusations against him were "He's anti-semitic") and once the harassment stuff came out they publicly cut ties and disavowed CAS. Buuut since she at one point defended CAS that meant that they were no longer allowed to accuse anyone of anything Please ignore how Holden has defended Morke in the past that's completely different or that holden has had accusations come out against him as wellshut up shut up shut up

That's super gross. I don't get how Holden and Morke seem to survive, like ringworms, despite so many others going down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holden and Morke are?

Also it warms my sad old heart that nothing has come out about Greg Stafford at any point. I get to enjoy Glorantha without feeling sad!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

actually3raccoons posted:

I don't get how Holden and Morke seem to survive, like ringworms, despite so many others going down.

They don't. They've been massively fired from everything. They're as fallen from grace as it gets.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Hadn't heard the Exalted hamster had his own accusations.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

They don't. They've been massively fired from everything. They're as fallen from grace as it gets.

They have, though Holden's still trying to make himself out to be some woke champion on twitter in regards to the RPG scene. I'd imagine that's where most of the perception comes from these days.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Hadn't heard the Exalted hamster had his own accusations.

My understanding of it is that the women in question went to him for help and he dismissed their claims and/or tried to kick responsibility for actually handling Morke upstairs to Rich T.

But I would not be surprised if Holden "Specter Ravishment" Shearer had accusations of his own.

Desiden posted:

They have, though Holden's still trying to make himself out to be some woke champion on twitter in regards to the RPG scene. I'd imagine that's where most of the perception comes from these days.

Morke writes e-books nowadays, and Holden continually directs traffic his way and if I really cared about it I could dig up some tweets about how Holden has to do this otherwise Morke would starve and that we're horrible people for wanting Morke to disappear from the internet.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Explaining to my sales rep why I wasn't going to stock the new Vampire stuff, even if it would sell, because of who was involved in its creation, is one of the best parts of being a retailer.

gently caress Zak.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019
The worst part of Zak’s exile from rpgland isn’t even that it might be temporary, it’s that he probably isn’t even the worst, he’s was just too impulsive and touchy to properly hide his nature.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

Morke writes e-books nowadays, and Holden continually directs traffic his way and if I really cared about it I could dig up some tweets about how Holden has to do this otherwise Morke would starve and that we're horrible people for wanting Morke to disappear from the internet.
While I'm not going to stick up for Hamster Lad in and of himself, if he has been gaslit into being the Renfield for Morke, there will come a day and - from a safe distance - it should be pretty hilarious to see, as far as industry blow-ups go.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pendragon lacks a second edition. Went first, third, fourth, fifth, sort of fifth again.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

theironjef posted:

Pendragon lacks a second edition. Went first, third, fourth, fifth, sort of fifth again.

It's 5.2 now, right?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I think that Runequest takes the cake for complicated edition history. There was RuneQuest 1, RQ2 (which was really just a cleaned up version of RQ1), RQ3 (which was a generic system), Mongoose RuneQuest 1, Mongoose RQ2, RQ6 (also a generic system, mechanically Mongoose RQ3), RuneQuest Classic (a reprint of RQ2 with some errata baked in) and finally RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG). So RQG is either the fourth, fifth, seventh, or eighth edition, depending on how you look at it.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
You forgot RuneQuest: Slayers (now just RuneSlayers), which would have been the fourth edition.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I mean, if we're including direct spinoffs there's also Legend (generic MRQ2) and Mythras (even more generic RQ6). To say nothing of BRP.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hackmaster never had a first or second edition because those were AD&D.

But then they tried to make one after the license expired, and woof.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Haystack posted:

I think that Runequest takes the cake for complicated edition history. There was RuneQuest 1, RQ2 (which was really just a cleaned up version of RQ1), RQ3 (which was a generic system), Mongoose RuneQuest 1, Mongoose RQ2, RQ6 (also a generic system, mechanically Mongoose RQ3), RuneQuest Classic (a reprint of RQ2 with some errata baked in) and finally RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (RQG). So RQG is either the fourth, fifth, seventh, or eighth edition, depending on how you look at it.
Then there's Mythras as a renamed RuneQuest 6.

Traveller's up to double digits, including two Mongoose and two GURPS editions. Did RuneQuest ever have a D20 edition?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Hackmaster never had a first or second edition because those were AD&D.

But then they tried to make one after the license expired, and woof.

I thought HackMaster 4th Edition read pretty well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IIRC they brought in some clunky Aces & 8s mechanics, took all the humor out, and introduced this gem:

Oh you rolled "illegitimate birth?" Have a 65% chance your mother was raped.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Then there's Mythras as a renamed RuneQuest 6.

Traveller's up to double digits, including two Mongoose and two GURPS editions. Did RuneQuest ever have a D20 edition?

Kind of? 13th Age in Glorantha.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

moths posted:

IIRC they brought in some clunky Aces & 8s mechanics, took all the humor out, and introduced this gem:

Oh you rolled "illegitimate birth?" Have a 65% chance your mother was raped.

Am I reading this mechanic right, did they include a modifier to ensure that half-orcs are literally never born from affairs? It's either two parents in wedlock or a 95% chance of rape?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Why does it look like they’re putting a judgement on whether “abandoned as a baby” or “mother was a prostitute, father unknown” is a morally worse thing? Is it because they felt the need to say that certain species are more or less likely to be raped? Why make this a table to roll on at all instead of just a sentence or two that says “here are some example normal ways for your character to not know both parents.”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Because picking your own background instead of leaving it up to the dice would be roll playing, not role playing :pseudo:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

The problem with doing satire through a tabletop RPG is that if you go very, very current with the satire, then your core book immediately starts turning stale as soon as it's published. If, however, you frame Alpha Complex such that the fact that the Computer believes that cranky old 1950s civil defence documents constitute fresh hot-off-the-presses information is part of the joke, then you evergreen the setting: the fact that the entire society is fighting this absurdly stale war against an effectively imaginary enemy is, in and of itself, bleakly funny and can tie into all sorts of IRL situations with ease. (Any time anyone in power is trying to turn the clock back is a good opportunity, for instance - see the way Brexiteers jizz themselves giddy over wartime Britain.)
We still live in a society running on the fumes of 50s anticommunism, so I don't see the problem. (The actual problem is that Friend Computer is more like a nightmare of Communist central planning than the passel of ridiculous ghouls that run our society. You'd want to put the Ultraviolets front and center and emphasize how serving Friend Computer so closely has made them into lunatics.)

Ettin posted:

He probably won't get back into the Discord again but Zak getting some kind of acceptance isn't that far-fetched. No matter what you do there'll always be someone willing to go "he's done his time" or "he's nicer than people think!" or whatever. If nothing else the number of people who qualified their my-bad posts with "but some of his targets were bad people!" should tell you that cutting ties with an abuser doesn't make you an instant expert at dealing with them.
This industry is addicted to giving malefactors a "second chance."

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Speaking of which, I think one of Ken Whitman's early debacles was printing Traveller stuff he didn't have the rights to. Do other games have "bootleg editions?"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 10, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Because picking your own background instead of leaving it up to the dice would be roll playing, not role playing :pseudo:

Sometimes rolling for backgrounds is fun, this does not appear to be one of those times.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I Am Just a Box posted:

Am I reading this mechanic right, did they include a modifier to ensure that half-orcs are literally never born from affairs? It's either two parents in wedlock or a 95% chance of rape?

Yep. As I recall, there was a lot of apologia from the player base for the necessity of including those shithole tables too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, I think one of Ken Whitman's early debacles was printing Traveller stuff he didn't have the rights to. Do other games have "bootleg editions?"
Tunnels & Trolls had a notorious rear end in a top hat printing stuff illegally.

Whitman did the Traveller TV show Kickstarter, which is about as much of a scam as you'd expect.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

There's always the noted industry great that is the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. :smaug:

Setting aside the OGL, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

If you liked that effortpost I'll also take this chance to toot the horn of my similar article on Alas Vegas. It's kind of a companion piece to that one, given that Wallis was basically doing the two Kickstarters in parallel.
I really enjoyed this writeup.

I've noticed that games built on a mystery--the PCs all have amnesia, or the underlying truths of the setting are concealed from the PCs and maybe the GM--tend to come out either too obtuse to be useful, or just kind of meh. (For example: Alas Vegas, The Demolished Ones, SLA Industries, a:state, Insylum.) Is it just incompatible with the medium? Is it incompatible with printing a rulebook anyone can read?

Off the top of my head, the closest anyone has come to getting it right is the Vampire: the Requiem supplements where they make multiple Big Secrets behind factions like VII and Belial's Brood and the GM gets to use, modify, and combine them at their leisure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

I really enjoyed this writeup.

I've noticed that games built on a mystery--the PCs all have amnesia, or the underlying truths of the setting are concealed from the PCs and maybe the GM--tend to come out either too obtuse to be useful, or just kind of meh. (For example: Alas Vegas, The Demolished Ones, SLA Industries, a:state, Insylum.) Is it just incompatible with the medium? Is it incompatible with printing a rulebook anyone can read?

Off the top of my head, the closest anyone has come to getting it right is the Vampire: the Requiem supplements where they make multiple Big Secrets behind factions like VII and Belial's Brood and the GM gets to use, modify, and combine them at their leisure.

I think a lot of that comes from the way game books are writing prompts. Trying to focus on having a hidden Big Answer in the gameline makes it very likely that, due to the nature of the books as a writing prompt for GMs and groups, a group will have hugely diverged away from your intended SLA Industries The Truth clever secret to the point that it won't match up with their use of the game or setting at all anyway. Plus, in trying to keep it mysterious, you usually make it well hidden enough that it becomes irrelevant to the game's original premise. It also tends to invalidate that original premise, and people buy your game because they like and want to play the original premise, so that's another issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Not only that, but the modifiers ensure that the mixed-heritage versions of the "good" races nearly never result from a rape. Half-orcs can also never be the result of an affair, and half-hobgoblins have only a 1% chance of being the result of an affair.