Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Do I actually lose anything by doing freak drugs with Joey of Londor or is it all just cosmetic?

I don't think so. I thought maybe Sirris' quest would be failed but apparently she only cares about the Rosaria covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Do I actually lose anything by doing freak drugs with Joey of Londor or is it all just cosmetic?
It's mostly cosmetic. The one mechanical effect from it is actually beneficial, having something to do with holding a certain amount of Hollowing while using a Hollow-infused weapon.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

NGDBSS posted:

It's mostly cosmetic. The one mechanical effect from it is actually beneficial, having something to do with holding a certain amount of Hollowing while using a Hollow-infused weapon.

Really, I thought luck affected this? Maybe I’m confusing Anri’s Straight Sword with it as it’s the one other weapon affected by the one stat no one levels up, or certain gems maybe.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Fister Roboto posted:

agape twinks

:haw:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

anothergod posted:

How do I tell my Faith bonus for talismans? I have like 122 with A scaling on a canvas talisman but 110 with S scaling on the saints talisman... There's no + anywhere on the screen so??

Edit: is smithing with titanite worth it? I feel like titanite is pretty rare and the boost is real low?

Sorry, I realized no one replied to you, but yeah I’d base it on the Mag Adjust number or whatever. The main difference, I believe, is the weapon art of each talisman, and how fast they can cast stuff, or whether they can bonker down and cast through an attack. I think each of these is different and the Sunlight and Sunless Talismans were the main ones I used, although the Sunless is I think for Cleric builds or ‘Hex’, I cant remember. But canvas is good for early game, and Saint’s and regular also seem to be popular, the latter for early game and the former if you’re leveled somewhere around 40 Faith, I guess the higher scaling talismans get better the higher your actually Faith level is. Also as far as weapons, (depending on the type of Faith build you do, I did a very tanky, and probably not the best Faith build, probably better as a Str/Fai close range character, but i used and enjoyed these weapons) sthe Crucifix of the Mad King is able to poise through a lot of attacks, which is nice, I highly recommend this weapon, although it’s a super late game weapon, if you’re doing a faith build. It’s my favorite weapon aside from like a Lothric Knight Great sword, which is just solid because it’s split damage (so you wouldn’t want it for anything resistant to lightning), but it’s infusable with blessed gems so you get Faith scaling.

What do you mean about smithing with titanite? This is the main way you upgrade your weapons, so yeah I’d recommend it, on shields it doesn’t really do much in 3, except up the attack, but the like amount of attack you can block is mostly fixed I believe.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Imhotep posted:

Really, I thought luck affected this? Maybe I’m confusing Anri’s Straight Sword with it as it’s the one other weapon affected by the one stat no one levels up, or certain gems maybe.
I went back to look this up because frankly I was fuzzy on the whole business. And here's the deal - Anri's Straight Sword has innate Luck scaling, and you can also add it to gear with the Hollow infusion. (You can even infuse rear end with Hollow which might boost that?) In addition, the Hollow infusion also grants bonus Luck based on your Hollowing status (ie, beef jerky? y/n) and upgrade levels to a maximum of +5 Luck at upgrade level 10.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

People have brought up other stuff they like about 2 but I also just really dug the aesthetic. Like Miyazaki's style is great but 2 also really spoke to me and reminded me most of, of all things, 1970s British fantasy. Like Zelazny and Cooper. And I mean I dig the Miura and Lovecraft the other FROM games revel in but 2's aesthetic is honestly a rarer and cooler thing to me.

I can never put down why exactly 2 reminds me of those things but I always think back to like The Dark is Rising or The Guns of Avalon when I play 2.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If you enjoy Dark Souls 2’s aesthetic, I can’t recommend the Design Works book enough. I got it because the reviews for the other two weren’t as good, but yeah I love it. It makes me want a full fledged 2 remake, some of those designs deserve a current gen treafmsnt

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's a strange aesthetic comparison, but I can...kind of see it? The Guns of Avalon end with Corwin fighting an uphill battle up a cliff into Amber, and Majula has a cliff? I guess?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This may have been talked about within the last 1500 pages, but I'm reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series and would be really surprised if didn't inspire Miyazaki to make Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. Not to give anything away, but the series follows a young man named Severian who is raised by a guild of torturers/executioners in a dark fantasy setting. I can see two major categories of influence, one being on what I would call a cosmetic level and the other on a deeper semiotic level.

The cosmetic level has to do with the words and iconography used in both Book of the New Sun and the Soulsborne games. Wolfe was a late-stage convert to Catholcism so Catholic imagery is all over the place. In Soulsborne games you have Pontiffs, Vicars, Clerics, holy maidens, cathedrals, etc. And in both you have really arcane language. The main character in Book of the New Sun at one point gets imprisoned in what is referred to as a "hypogeum" and in Bloodborne you're imprisoned in a "hypogean gaol." You also have a few action scenes that would fit right in as boss fights in a Soulsborne game. At one point the main character even dodge-rolls away from a huge projectile hurled at him by a big scary creature.

The deeper semiotic level has to do with how meaning is intentionally obscured and the player/reader has to pay very close attention to get a sense of what's going on. Miyazaki mentioned that his storytelling method was influenced by trying to read fantasy stories in English but having huge gaps in understanding because his English wasn't very good. So lots of stuff gets lost in translation and you're left to speculate or infer to fill the gaps. There's a similar dynamic at play in Book of the New Sun where the "real" meaning gets obscured for lots of different reasons.

The item description of the Executioner Greatsword in Dark Souls 3 seems like a reference to Book of the New Sun, but I'm not sure if that was Miyazaki being influenced by Wolfe or the localization team being Wolfe fans.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I started the New Sun books in high school and couldn't handle them. Time to jump back in.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
That book series is on my wish list. I should probably just get em...

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Book of the New Sun :words:

Eh. Gene Wolfe is pretty much my favorite fantasy author and I have read BotNS multiple times and never had this thought. I doubt it was a direct influence on Soulsborne. The hypogeum connection is tenuous at best when you consider that everything in New Sun is referred to by some archaic term. Destrier for Horse, et. al.

Miyazaki went many games before utilizing any Catholic terms, and if I am remembering correctly, his making up stuff to fill in the parts he couldn’t read in English was when he was a teen. But there’s not much in common between Soulsborne and BotNS other than some fairly common medieval/gothic fantasy elements.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of my favorite game series making nods to one of my favorite book series. I just don’t really see it here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the swords in SotN is a direct reference to New Sun so there's that at least

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Even if Book of the New Sun isn't a direct inspiration, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the storytelling style and imagery in these games.

In other news, I forgot how loving baller Vordt's music is. It's like something you would have heard at a Roman triumph. It's a shame that really only Demon's Souls used lots of horns and trumpets in its soundtrack because they add a ton of flair and gravitas.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh I like Demon’s Souls soundtrack best of the lot. It’s much weirder and more varied. DS games all have some good individual tracks and some are very good, but the majority of them are nothing special and kind of strident.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Demon's Souls and Bloodborne have my favorite soundracks of their recent games.

I love love love love the music for the Otogi and King's Field games though. The earlier ones have a sort of industrial drive to them, which makes sense since Koji Endo did a lot of the compositions. He did a ton of soundtracks for Takashi Miike flicks, and one of them, Full Metal Yakuza, watch the trailer they totally have like King's Field 1 soundalike music going. As Tsukasa Saitoh took a heavier lead in the music for the later King's Field and then Souls games you can hear the difference in them sounding more like "fantasy music" and less like that sort of weird in between sound they had in Demon's Souls and earlier.

I wrote way too many words about this a while ago here, this is so embarrassing I need to destroy this site or make it fully functional again or something:
https://gamingdetritus.com/2016/03/music-and-fromsoftware/

But the tldr version of it is that Endo was a regularly collaborator with the person who did a ton of Miike soundtracks before he did, Chu Ishikawa (whom everyone should know form Der Eisenrost and also as the composer of the soundtrack for Tetsuo: The Iron Man one of the best things ever done). And it always made me wonder if Chu Ishikawa himself ever in the background had an effect on King's Field msuic, since Koji Endo wasn't just a composer but ran an actual production studio, SounKids, that's done music for a few Miike movies and of course several FromSoftware games, but also some more out there stuff like sound effects for some modern games and stuff.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This may have been talked about within the last 1500 pages, but I'm reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series and would be really surprised if didn't inspire Miyazaki to make Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. Not to give anything away, but the series follows a young man named Severian who is raised by a guild of torturers/executioners in a dark fantasy setting. I can see two major categories of influence, one being on what I would call a cosmetic level and the other on a deeper semiotic level.

The cosmetic level has to do with the words and iconography used in both Book of the New Sun and the Soulsborne games. Wolfe was a late-stage convert to Catholcism so Catholic imagery is all over the place. In Soulsborne games you have Pontiffs, Vicars, Clerics, holy maidens, cathedrals, etc. And in both you have really arcane language. The main character in Book of the New Sun at one point gets imprisoned in what is referred to as a "hypogeum" and in Bloodborne you're imprisoned in a "hypogean gaol." You also have a few action scenes that would fit right in as boss fights in a Soulsborne game. At one point the main character even dodge-rolls away from a huge projectile hurled at him by a big scary creature.

The deeper semiotic level has to do with how meaning is intentionally obscured and the player/reader has to pay very close attention to get a sense of what's going on. Miyazaki mentioned that his storytelling method was influenced by trying to read fantasy stories in English but having huge gaps in understanding because his English wasn't very good. So lots of stuff gets lost in translation and you're left to speculate or infer to fill the gaps. There's a similar dynamic at play in Book of the New Sun where the "real" meaning gets obscured for lots of different reasons.

The item description of the Executioner Greatsword in Dark Souls 3 seems like a reference to Book of the New Sun, but I'm not sure if that was Miyazaki being influenced by Wolfe or the localization team being Wolfe fans.

HaB posted:

Eh. Gene Wolfe is pretty much my favorite fantasy author and I have read BotNS multiple times and never had this thought. I doubt it was a direct influence on Soulsborne. The hypogeum connection is tenuous at best when you consider that everything in New Sun is referred to by some archaic term. Destrier for Horse, et. al.

Miyazaki went many games before utilizing any Catholic terms, and if I am remembering correctly, his making up stuff to fill in the parts he couldn’t read in English was when he was a teen. But there’s not much in common between Soulsborne and BotNS other than some fairly common medieval/gothic fantasy elements.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of my favorite game series making nods to one of my favorite book series. I just don’t really see it here.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Even if Book of the New Sun isn't a direct inspiration, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the storytelling style and imagery in these games.

Not totally on topic but you all might find this blog entry interesting about the actual Japanese translations from the 80s and they have like phonetic footnotes to the original English text, which isn't super unusual for books when translated. I would say he definitely read these back in the day, though I doubt he was going for intentional homage with the Souls games since they're more a general pastiche of all kinds of dark fantasy stuff. But of course these are a must read for any Soulsborne fan.

That said, even before Miyazaki was with FromSoftware King's Field was a thing, I mean come on King's Field 2 literally opens up with you by a river adjacent to a ruined citadel where a final battle happened after the arrival of a "Silviera." :3:

https://ultan.org.uk/japanese-lexicon-for-the-book-of-the-new-sun/

The comments are worth reading too surprisingly.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 13, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

This is cool as hell. Thanks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Here's what might be a super basic question for DS3 vets: all ashen estus flasks for miracle workers?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dark souls 3 will always have my favorite aesthetic just from the one visual of you reaching the top of that one place and being greeted by darkness loving spilling out from the sun while horrible butterflies made from bone and nerve endings littered the skies

Edit: but bar none demons souls had the best overall atmosphere and sense of loneliness and dread from any From game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Black Griffon posted:

Here's what might be a super basic question for DS3 vets: all ashen estus flasks for miracle workers?

I wouldn’t. Heal miracles are slowwww and cannot replace estus unless you’re really good at the game and basically never get hit. And that’s unlikely because most offensive miracles require up close and personal approach with perseverance tanking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
God DAMMIT. :(

https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/gene-wolfe-in-memoriam-1931-2019/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

we all know Miyazaki was inspired to make Souls after driving up a snow covered road, but what really disturbs me is that his parents quite obviously left him in a poisoned swamp when he was a child, the only explanation for... everything

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What game has the most active PvP scene? This, Bloodborne, or DS Remastered?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I get invaded on the regular in DS3, it's still going strong.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm probably gonna be done with ds2 in a week or two, anyone have recommendations for a ds3 build? My favorite so far has been my high-AGI character powerstancing a washing pole and warped sword, mainly for the speed and versatility of the moveset. I enjoyed pyromancy in ds1, too.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Black Griffon posted:

we all know Miyazaki was inspired to make Souls after driving up a snow covered road, but what really disturbs me is that his parents quite obviously left him in a poisoned swamp when he was a child, the only explanation for... everything

but for real why is from soft so obsessed with snowscapes and swamps? loving Sekiro did not disappoint in this regard, ffs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm probably gonna be done with ds2 in a week or two, anyone have recommendations for a ds3 build? My favorite so far has been my high-AGI character powerstancing a washing pole and warped sword, mainly for the speed and versatility of the moveset. I enjoyed pyromancy in ds1, too.

Pyromancy in 3 is incredible and you can get two of the best spells (Black Serpent & Chaos Bed Vestiges) relatively early. The best part is drat near everything is weak to either fire, dark, poison, or toxin.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

KingSlime posted:

but for real why is from soft so obsessed with snowscapes and swamps? loving Sekiro did not disappoint in this regard, ffs

Snow at least can be evocative and aesthetic, especially contrasted with blood and battle. Swamps are confoundingly boring and I though everyone had figured that out ten years ago.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah snow levels are aesthetically nice, but less so when they make up 50% of the game world! I was not impressed with the liberal use of snow in Sekiro, though overall it does feature some pretty gorgeous outdoor environments.

Oddly enough, the poison swamp area(s) in Sekiro are prettier than earlier swamps by quite a margin imo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the best part about the poison swamp in Sekiro is that it's about five minutes long and you can skip pretty much all of it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

morallyobjected posted:

the best part about the poison swamp in Sekiro is that it's about five minutes long and you can skip pretty much all of it

And unlike basically every other FROM swamp, the Sekiro swamp actually affects enemies too.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm looking forward to my New Game + run where I won't get brickwalled by bosses every hour of gameplay. It's a fun, satisfying game that retains the From Soft magic but jesus gently caress it's brutal, more so than DS3 in my opinion.

At least til you get the patterns down, then it's easier than DS3 and much more satisfying. That's why I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy my second playthrough much more, getting stuck in an area for a few days is easily the most tedious part of BB/DS3 and sometimes it feels like in Sekrio that's the entire game. Oh you cleared one mini boss that was kicking you in the nuts all weekend? Cool, check out this other miniboss in the area immediately after, and a major boss right around the corner if you just make a left from there.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I'm looking forward to my New Game + run where I won't get brickwalled by bosses every hour of gameplay. It's a fun, satisfying game that retains the From Soft magic but jesus gently caress it's brutal, more so than DS3 in my opinion.

At least til you get the patterns down, then it's easier than DS3 and much more satisfying. That's why I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy my second playthrough much more, getting stuck in an area for a few days is easily the most tedious part of BB/DS3 and sometimes it feels like in Sekrio that's the entire game. Oh you cleared one mini boss that was kicking you in the nuts all weekend? Cool, check out this other miniboss in the area immediately after, and a major boss right around the corner if you just make a left from there.

the easiest thing about NG+ is that you've (presumably) got 9-10 gourd uses by this point and the main difficulty in the early part of Sekiro is only being able to heal 1-2 times per fight. I'm on NG+2 and I haven't died to a boss all the way through the first half of the game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

boy howdy abyss watchers second phase does not spark joy

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Black Griffon posted:

boy howdy abyss watchers second phase does not spark joy

Probably my favorite boss in the base game because of that "...gently caress" realization after the first phase. The second phase was like a dance where I was constantly jockeying for an opening or dodging away from attacks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm just having such a hard time reading the attacks and timing my dodges. Oh well, practice is everything and everything is practice.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've already platinumed DS3 and haven't touched it in a long time, but with a new computer build I'm looking to start over and give Pyro another go with maxed out graphics and framerate. Can the pc version get to 144fps or is it locked to 60?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pyromancy in 3 is incredible and you can get two of the best spells (Black Serpent & Chaos Bed Vestiges) relatively early. The best part is drat near everything is weak to either fire, dark, poison, or toxin.

Awesome. Is there anything fun, silly, or gimmicky I can do with pyro that's also versatile and viable? like, dual-wielding a greatsword + pyro or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Awesome. Is there anything fun, silly, or gimmicky I can do with pyro that's also versatile and viable? like, dual-wielding a greatsword + pyro or something?

Boulder Heave, Rapport, Iron Flesh,