Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

Which is immediately distinct from the trade paperback market... how?

Easier to use to line bird cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How do you line bird cages with theoretical pages?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

How do you line bird cages with theoretical pages?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

trade paperbacks actually get made

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

Easy to stay in print when you never sell out!

Does it count as selling out when you're only ripping off the idiot bigots?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cyberfrog will be in the public domain before EVS ever publishes it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wanderer posted:

He's not selling comic books. he's selling the idea of eventually owning a comic book. and it's so good some people have bought it three times already. Kinda like Star Citizen I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Citizen at least gives you JPGs

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/d_yeisley/status/1115785242915241986

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
RIP Ultraverse co-creator James Hudnall, he's writing for Breitbart.com in the sky now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and for a moment I was saddened by his death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

When was the first kickstarter for cyberfrog? I'm trying to figure out how many pages Kirby would have completed in the time it's taken EVS to not draw his single, 44 page comic.

It's gotta be a couple hundred right? During the early years Marvel published 8 books a month and I think at least half of them were drawn by Kirby.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

When was the first kickstarter for cyberfrog? I'm trying to figure out how many pages Kirby would have completed in the time it's taken EVS to not draw his single, 44 page comic.

It's gotta be a couple hundred right? During the early years Marvel published 8 books a month and I think at least half of them were drawn by Kirby.

Part of that was Kirby getting paid by the page, and he had a family to feed. EVS gets all the cash upfront and can be a lazy bastard. Although one wonders if he's actually trying to put this cash influx to good use and pay down some of his money problems ha ha no he's buying action figures by the case and bragging about five-pound lobster dinners.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, if someone can track down a single unpublished Kirby page it would make Jack more productive that Ethan.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That's why I love this tweet

https://twitter.com/d_yeisley/status/1115976034904629250

Man, with the amount of time that has gone by you'd better see the characters DNA.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Man, just think of how much better Kirby's art would have been if he'd cross-hatched ten thousand tiny lines in every panel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Man, with the amount of time that has gone by you'd better see the characters DNA.

Oh, my. They're trying to make him be, I dunno, Geof Darrow or somebody.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

This is a lie on the level of a child with chocolate on their face telling you that they didn’t eat all the cookies.

Btw as a bonus
https://twitter.com/d_yeisley/status/1110395687278202880
He also makes 3D models of women with big boobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Siri, show me Dunning-Kruger effect.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird he would be comparing EVS to Kirby seeing as Kirby hated Nazis.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Siri, show me Dunning-Kruger effect.

In fairness, he hasn't said he's good, just that his art has changed. And it has, in that his proportions have improved somewhat and he's coloring in a computer now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

vkeios posted:

This is a lie on the level of a child with chocolate on their face telling you that they didn’t eat all the cookies.

Btw as a bonus

To be fair, he did get better at filling in the colors.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bessantj posted:

the phrasing of this tweet makes it read like they're saying we're ignoring how slow evs is with cyberfrog

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

FMguru posted:

Man, just think of how much better Kirby's art would have been if he'd cross-hatched ten thousand tiny lines in every panel.

And that Hergé guy, what a cheap, talentless hack.

Actually, "Where would Hergé stand on ComicsGate?" is an interesting discussion on its own. I suspect the answer would be, at best, "It's complicated."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In other news Renfamous being on an indie comics anthology is giving CG apoplexy. It's especially funny coming from the chuds who, themselves, are trying to use CG to do their first ever comic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

vkeios posted:

Btw as a bonus

Looking at the art, I feel like this dude's got to be some 20-something smacked rear end who got pulled into a bad scene. Even without the defense of EVS over Kirby, he just doesn't seem to know anything.

I am endlessly grateful that I got out of my 20s before current social media really existed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yond Cassius posted:

Actually, "Where would Hergé stand on ComicsGate?" is an interesting discussion on its own. I suspect the answer would be, at best, "It's complicated."

The older Hergé got the more reasonable he became.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The older Hergé got the more reasonable he became.

Yeah, I think most of his racism came from both ignorance and genuine curiosity. Like, the Blue Lotus is racist as hell against the Japanese, but for something written in 1935 by some who'd never been to Asia it's a pretty well done and balanced in its depiction of China and the Chinese.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think most of his racism came from both ignorance and genuine curiosity. Like, the Blue Lotus is racist as hell against the Japanese, but for something written in 1935 by some who'd never been to Asia it's a pretty well done and balanced in its depiction of China and the Chinese.

There's a pretty good reason for that latter part

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

vkeios posted:

Btw as a bonus

What is it with weirdos on the internet who marginalise other people's art turning out to be primary school-level artists themselves? This must be the fourth or fifth time I've seen this exact scenario play out in this thread.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

site posted:

the phrasing of this tweet makes it read like they're saying we're ignoring how slow evs is with cyberfrog

I'm not even sure what the point he's trying to make here is? Surely they don't think Cyberfrog is being produced quickly?

Also I'm not sure where the gently caress you get off insulting Kirby and I'm not even a capes person.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

JordanKai posted:

What is it with weirdos on the internet who marginalise other people's art turning out to be primary school-level artists themselves? This must be the fourth or fifth time I've seen this exact scenario play out in this thread.

Putting down others distracts from the nagging knowledge that you'll never be good enough

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well the guy is doubling down that Kirby isn't that great an artist and also that Kirby would have hated "the femanazi communists" that his characters have become. Truly this is a Kirby scholar.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

That's uh probably why the book is racist against the Japanese too. And let's be honest if anybody could ever claim to have a legit reason to be racist against the Japanese it's probably any Chinese person who lived through WW2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ryonguy posted:

That's uh probably why the book is racist against the Japanese too. And let's be honest if anybody could ever claim to have a legit reason to be racist against the Japanese it's probably any Chinese person who lived through WW2.

World War 2 hadn't started yet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

World War 2 hadn't started yet.

The book is a fictionalised account of Japan's invasion of China in 1931 and (like a lot of Herge's early works) had a later reworking in the post-war period.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Japan occupied Manchuria in 1931 so depending on your charting that could honestly be a start date for the Second World War as far as China is concerned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You could just admit he was wrong.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The Japanese wars continued throughout the period and I’ve seen a number of sources starting WW2 with Japanese actions in Manchuria.

Unless you want to be completely Eurocentric it’s a valid point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

WWI started like it was a race. Everyone got up and ran at full speed when the starter pistol went off. WWII was more incremental. If you were Chinese or Japanese, the war you know as WWII started in 1931.