Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010
What are the flaws in Malazan that you can't find in Mistborn and vica versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah im gonna need some more details. Mistborn seems sort of self-evidently bad based on what has been posted in this thread.

Does Malazan also have lifeless prose? A lack of exploration of interesting ideas? A heavy focus on "worldbuilding?" Text that reads like a video game QTE script?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Malazan has a ton of jerking it to various proper nouns and magic systems and prose that reminds me unpleasantly of Thomas Covenant.

Much of it is dedicated to bluntly informing the reader How Intricate This Evil Plan is.

gently caress, I'm gonna have to reread Deadhouse Gates for the thread aren't i?

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010
Yes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i read the first two books of malazan in high school and felt that it resoundingly sucked rear end. the only thing i remember about it now is a bit about a skeleton (?) with glowing blue eyes (?) who sacrificed himself by ascending to the sky in order to fix a hole in reality, which meant that he wouldn't die but would instead suffer in agony for eternity

also i think he was telepathic

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i read the first two books of malazan in high school and felt that it resoundingly sucked rear end. the only thing i remember about it now is a bit about a skeleton (?) with glowing blue eyes (?) who sacrificed himself by ascending to the sky in order to fix a hole in reality, which meant that he wouldn't die but would instead suffer in agony for eternity

also i think he was telepathic

thank mr skeltal

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Malazan has a ton of jerking it to various proper nouns and magic systems and prose that reminds me unpleasantly of Thomas Covenant.
Appropriate that Donaldson creams himself over it:

Stephen R. Donaldson posted:

Through his rejections, Erikson tests our notions of what it means to be human. He challenges us to reexamine how we think about ourselves, our world, and each other; to reexamine the stories we tell ourselves, the means by which we create our own realities. He encourages us to expand our minds and our hearts to meet those challenges. And he does so in lucid prose as seamless as oil.

I’m a student of Joseph Conrad, Henry James, William Faulkner, and Fyodor Dostoevsky, and I say this: Erikson is as serious as any of them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yes, the story with zombie dinosaurs that have swords for hands is clearly meant to be taken Very Seriously

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Malazan has a ton of jerking it to various proper nouns and magic systems and prose that reminds me unpleasantly of Thomas Covenant

I do not recall Malazan spending much time trying to make some explicit Sanderson-like Magic system. I'm also not sure how big of a deal the various different names for all the various different peoples are.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
David Gemmell's Legend felt like the literary equivalent of a bad 80s anime OVA when I read it last year.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Sampatrick posted:

I do not recall Malazan spending much time trying to make some explicit Sanderson-like Magic system. I'm also not sure how big of a deal the various different names for all the various different peoples are.

I've read the first book. There is a magic system, but like a lot of other things, Erikson doesn't explain it.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

everyone posted:

Malazan is dogshit
You all are prejudicing me on my initial read-through of the first book! I'm only 8% through according to my Kindle.

So far there is lots of jerking it to randomly Capitalized Nouns. And prose that seems to be trying to be pulpy, like Robert Howard, but is missing the mark. It's bad, but it hasn't gotten really bad yet. It hasn't gotten as bad as I am afraid it will before the end.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

onsetOutsider posted:

i'd like to see you try. that book is phenominal

hyperion, like all of dan simmons' work, blows like the winds to the east

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Getting mad about capitalized nouns is honestly the dumbest poo poo. There's some reasonable things to critique, like the prose being poo poo, but getting mad about pronouns is just dumb.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sampatrick posted:

Getting mad about capitalized nouns is honestly the dumbest poo poo. There's some reasonable things to critique, like the prose being poo poo, but getting mad about pronouns is just dumb.

(1) Capitalization is obviously part of prose style. Capitalizing certain words changes their inflection. It is annoying to trip over stupidly capitalized words once or twice every sentence.

(2) Capitalizing Special Nouns is one of the most common and easily identifiable habits of bad SF/F writers, so people who (justifiably) don't want to waste a lot of time criticizing a lovely book that is lovely in exactly the same ways as many other books are lovely can just point to the dumb capitalization and say "get a load of this poo poo."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I've read the first book. There is a magic system, but like a lot of other things, Erikson doesn't explain it.
Yeah, the thing is as you go on it becomes clearer that no one in the books understands it either and that includes the magic users themselves. Everything you're told about it is bits and pieces of speculation coming from unreliable narrators.
There's a lot of things to criticize (and I'm saying that as a fan of series) but a Sanderson approach isn't one of them. I don't doubt they had a system in place for the RPG they based it on but the books never devolve into Setting Magical Laws.

I'd also say it feels pretty unfair to hold the fact that noted twit Donaldson likes the books against them.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 10, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't know what pronouns are, but I won't let that stop me from telling other people what to think about them.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

getting mad about pronouns is just dumb.

:maga:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I remember The Terror as being pretty good

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol if you really think this

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know what pronouns are, but I won't let that stop me from telling other people what to think about them.

he meant proper nouns, but even then he's wrong

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Now, there's no hard-and-fast rule against weird capitalization. You just have to show you know what the gently caress you're doing, e.g. Olga Tokarczuk in Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The apostrophe Proper N'ouns are ridiculous to the point of self parody. Take this example from the dramatis personae of Deadhouse Gates:

Icarium, a mixed-blood Jaghut wanderer
Mappo, his Trell companion
Iskaral Pust, a High Priest of Shadow
Ryllandaras, the White Jackal, a D’ivers
Messremb, a Soletaken
Gryllen, a D’ivers
Mogora, a D’ivers

This is presented before any of the text of the story. Now, Soletaken and D'ivers are literally just shapeshifters but Erikson feels the need to slather on made up words with apostrophes. Yes, "divers" is old English for "many" (the shapeshifters being able to turn into a pack of wolves, for instance) but the apostrophe adds nothing. Half the "fun" of these books are figuring out what proper noun corresponds to what made up concept and keeping track of the piles of characters who are so numerous Erikson can't keep their genders straight.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Sampatrick posted:

I promise when I post my review I will talk about more than just the dumbass capitalization.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He does love his ap'o'strophes.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

(1) Capitalization is obviously part of prose style. Capitalizing certain words changes their inflection. It is annoying to trip over stupidly capitalized words once or twice every sentence.

(2) Capitalizing Special Nouns is one of the most common and easily identifiable habits of bad SF/F writers, so people who (justifiably) don't want to waste a lot of time criticizing a lovely book that is lovely in exactly the same ways as many other books are lovely can just point to the dumb capitalization and say "get a load of this poo poo."

Oh, for sure. It's not very moving to capitalize words like soletaken or w/e but at the same time I also think that not capitalizing them reads weirdly. Idk, I'm not very knowledgeable about these kinds of things. Most of the capitalization is just actual proper nouns, though, so it is kinda lazy to point to that as being some flaw of the story.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The apostrophe Proper N'ouns are ridiculous to the point of self parody. Take this example from the dramatis personae of Deadhouse Gates:

Icarium, a mixed-blood Jaghut wanderer
Mappo, his Trell companion
Iskaral Pust, a High Priest of Shadow
Ryllandaras, the White Jackal, a D’ivers
Messremb, a Soletaken
Gryllen, a D’ivers
Mogora, a D’ivers

This is presented before any of the text of the story. Now, Soletaken and D'ivers are literally just shapeshifters but Erikson feels the need to slather on made up words with apostrophes. Yes, "divers" is old English for "many" (the shapeshifters being able to turn into a pack of wolves, for instance) but the apostrophe adds nothing. Half the "fun" of these books are figuring out what proper noun corresponds to what made up concept and keeping track of the piles of characters who are so numerous Erikson can't keep their genders straight.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Well, the reason why they're not called shapeshifters, you see, is because calling them shapeshifters would be boring. Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting. D'ivers is absolutely a stupid name but calling them shapeshifters would have been just as stupid.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

He does love his ap'o'strophes.

Erikson tries to make things sound ancient by adding glottal stops which is probably racist but w/e I don't want to unpack that

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

Well, the reason why they're not called shapeshifters, you see, is because calling them shapeshifters would be boring. Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting. D'ivers is absolutely a stupid name but calling them shapeshifters would have been just as stupid.
IMO a normal word is absolutely less stupid than a normal word but with a random apostrophe in the middle.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anilEhilated posted:

I'd also say it feels pretty unfair to hold the fact that noted twit Donaldson likes the books against them.
I was mostly just ripping on Donaldson there.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sampatrick posted:

he should have called them dragons

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That'd be confusing, there are already dragons, and the dragons can also shapeshift and some people can also shapeshift into dragons.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

That'd be confusing, there are already dragons, and the dragons can also shapeshift and some people can also shapeshift into dragons.

The dragons cannot shapeshift, but there are lots of people who can shapeshift into dragons. You see, in order to make somebody look powerful, you just give them the ability to transform into a dragon and blam, instant power.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are at least two shapeshifting dragons in Forge of Darkness / Fall of Light.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

There are at least two shapeshifting dragons in Forge of Darkness / Fall of Light.

Noted to not be in the book series Malazan Book of the Fallen. Also, not books that I have read.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Those characters are in the main series if it matters (book 6: Telorast and Curdle)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Still reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and it is absolutely explicit in the unreliability, the un-reality even, of its characters, story, everything. He disguises nothing with voice or prose, and yet disguises everything. I find it far more interesting and exciting to read than Gene Wolfe’s Totally Unreliable Narrator Torture Guy books, where it felt like I had to closely read a dullard’s description of his passive life to see if the boring details all jived.

Marco Polo describes a city made of memories, imaginations, future memories, outright lies, and in two pages of straightforward writing my brain gets loving lit up - what does authenticity actually mean; does our remembered experience create meaning and reality even though none of the memories are real; what is reality anyways?

anyways in conclusion cities are dragons

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting.

what immediately came to mind reading this claim was Petronius' Satyricon, LXII, bad translation mine:

Intellexi illum versipellem* esse, nec postea cum illo panem gustare potui, non si me occidisses.
Then I understood him to be a [werewolf],* nor after that could I sit down to dinner with him, not even if you killed me.

*literally, "skin-turner" with the sense of "skin-changer," which I should think is close enough to "shape-shifter"

i'm sure that most cultures actually have a word or phrase that translates to something equally banal with regard to their own 'shape-shifters.'
The English 'werewolf' itself has a disputed etymology but my understanding is that it likely means literally "big/dangerous wolf." No proper nouns needed.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 10, 2019

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Appropriate that Donaldson creams himself over it: “And he does so in lucid prose as seamless as oil.”

what even is that sentence. its so bad

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's true. oil doesn't have seams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give