Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Mario and Rabbids was a pretty fun game. It doesn't stack up to its direct competition (XCOM), but for half off it's worth checking out if you enjoy strategy games.

Also it just occured to me how incredible XCOM 2 would be on Switch.

I'm only a few worlds in but I'm enjoying it so far. It's cute!

The action economy leaning more towards dashes and jumps for setup than sprinting/overwatching is a nice change of pace from XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Felt like Darkest Dungeon didn't mix it up much. By the time you get rolling with the town and the upgrades, you're just making the same moves/things better fighting the same sets of enemies. Very very grindy and nothing new happens after the first few hours. I played it a ton over one weekend of travel and then never touched it again.

Agreed. I thought it was going to be super cool. And it is but also falls into a very repetitive loop very fast.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Half off DOOM?

Time to tell everyone to buy DOOM.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Half off DOOM?

Time to tell everyone to buy DOOM.

Yeah, Doom is great on the Switch. Definitely one to consider if you haven't played it before. gyros good etc etc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom is arguably one of the greatest games ever made. If you don’t buy it you’re telling the world I don’t actually care about good things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope the sale comes to the US, so I can go digital on Super Mario Odyssey, and maybe pick up dark souls so I can :gitgud:

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

PantsBandit posted:

Mario and Rabbids was a pretty fun game. It doesn't stack up to its direct competition (XCOM), but for half off it's worth checking out if you enjoy strategy games.

Also it just occured to me how incredible XCOM 2 would be on Switch.

I liked it too, in general I find Rabbids to be a bit annoying much like minions but I really liked the Rabbid/Yoshi, Rabbid/Peach etc. When peach meets peach it's great. The cut scenes are really entertaining.

I gotta say Ubisoft have really been making some good poo poo lately. Trials, Rabbids, Battle for Atlas have all been great.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Point and click adventure Deponia (2012) going on sale on April 24 for the princely sum of...

£35.

loving state of it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Wolfenstein Youngblood thing is disgusting.

Ever since mandatory downloads on Switch were thing, people have been speculating that one of the big third-party publisher's next move would be to sell massive games on the smallest cartridge size, effectively reducing them to physical license tokens. But at least with those you can still sell/trade/rent/borrow the cartridge, whereas this is just a one-time use code. It doesn't follow consumer expectations for how physical games work and is super unfriendly.

I guess it has precedence in the Fortnite Deep Freeze Bundle, but at least Fortnite is free-to-play, and the bundle was assuredly produced to give stores something to sell when grandma comes in looking to get "Fortnite for Switch" as a birthday gift.

Leal posted:

Re: Wolfenstein not having a physical copy. My dude, let me tell you about PC games that are released in stores that are just empty boxes with a code in them. Like this Sims 4 Seasons case I got because Target had it 50% off on release week for some reason.
Target and Walmart already have a section for Switch eShop vouchers for people looking specifically to purchase those. And I'm fine with that. It's the intentional confusion of a physical-but-not release that's offensive.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I buy a game physical, it's for the express purpose of selling it when I'm done. A story-based FPS is exactly the kind of game I buy physical, so a story-based FPS in a physical box that I can't sell when I'm done is super duper scummy.

I just won't play it, and that's fine. But a lot more people buy-to-sell than troll around on forums to discover this kind of info, so for tons of people the only thing in the way of that feel-bad is going to be a thumbnail-sized sticker on the back of the box someplace.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Selling one time use codes in a box is legit gross

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If I accidentally bought one I would legit be pissed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
lol didn't mean to cause a big derail about how to correctly game. I just don't play D3 with my buds. They got mad at me for not playing anymore but man F U C K going S L O W in that game. I'll power level them if they want to get into the good stuff, but now that Smash has come out we just play that anyway when we're doing local video gamin.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doom is arguably one of the greatest games ever made. If you don’t buy it you’re telling the world I don’t actually care about good things.

I played Doom on PC and it just didn’t do it for me. It was great for a few hours but the combat is kind of repetitive and grindy after the initial “HOLY poo poo” feeling wears off. I did play it all the way through but don’t really care enough to play it again :shrug:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I played Doom on PC and it just didn’t do it for me. It was great for a few hours but the combat is kind of repetitive and grindy after the initial “HOLY poo poo” feeling wears off. I did play it all the way through but don’t really care enough to play it again :shrug:

Titanfall 2 was the better shooter that year.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Titanfall 2 was the better shooter that year.

100% agreed, Titanfall 2 was fantastic

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Capcom selling the physical Mega Man (X) Legacy Collection 1+2 games as the first one on card and the second as a download code is annoying as hell. I bet that has less to do with the size of the cartridges being a limiting factor for those and more to do with Capcom not wanting to make a separate application that happens to contain both.

Namco Museum Arcade Pac is basically a combo pack of two different downloadable games on one cartridge with a launcher on boot-up to select either the museum or Pac-Man CE so it's not like it was impossible to do. Capcom was just lazy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mercury Crusader posted:

Capcom selling the physical Mega Man (X) Legacy Collection 1+2 games as the first one on card and the second as a download code is annoying as hell. I bet that has less to do with the size of the cartridges being a limiting factor for those and more to do with Capcom not wanting to make a separate application that happens to contain both.
They didn't even need to do that. It's possible to package multiple titles on the same cartridge. When you insert the cartridge, two home screen icons go to the front of the menu. Ubi's Child of Light + Valiant Hearts double pack does exactly this.

Perhaps that's a feature that wasn't supported by older Switch OS versions and so wasn't available to Capcom at the time? Not sure, but it's inexcusable going forward.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Namco Museum Arcade Pac is basically a combo pack of two different downloadable games on one cartridge with a launcher on boot-up to select either the museum or Pac-Man CE so it's not like it was impossible to do. Capcom was just lazy.
I also wonder if new titles produced for a physical release require a new ESRB rating (with a known-high cost) vs. repacking an existing (downloadable) title.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

100% agreed, Titanfall 2 was fantastic

Titanfall 2, DOOM and Wolfenstein The New Order are like the holy trinity of good FPS games to come out this gen

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Is the DOOM sale Europe only or is it 50% off in North America also?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Is the DOOM sale Europe only or is it 50% off in North America also?

You just switch your console's region to buy it if you're in America

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's a thousand interesting, fun, and varied games to play, don't waste your life on loving Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

There's a thousand interesting, fun, and varied games to play, don't waste your life on loving Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't want to buy Skyrim because I've already played thousands of hours of that game. But. If I had not.

I would buy Skyrim.

That game hella good.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I also wonder if new titles produced for a physical release require a new ESRB rating (with a known-high cost) vs. repacking an existing (downloadable) title.

ESRB ratings are stupid, and is there any reason why the industry can't just self regulate themselves with rating their own content? That's what TV does, there is no ratings board that assigns ratings for shows.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ColdPie posted:

There's a thousand interesting, fun, and varied games DOOM to play, don't waste your life on loving Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ColdPie posted:

Ur not my dad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ColdPie posted:

Fus

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*me, playing one of the thousand boring mobile ports on switch* "oh yeah, take that Bethesda"

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I've bought skyrim on PC and PS4 when I had it, couldn't get into it and never even got to the main quest I think. Felt underpowered the entire time and confused for the ten total game hours I put into it. I can't really justify getting it on switch

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Astro7x posted:

ESRB ratings are stupid, and is there any reason why the industry can't just self regulate themselves with rating their own content? That's what TV does, there is no ratings board that assigns ratings for shows.

isn't that what it is? lol

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

The ESRB IS the result of self regulation by the gaming industry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

uhhhhh.......

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dragon's Dogma looks like basically... Skyrim but actual interesting characters and story + boobs, is that about right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dragon's Dogma looks like basically... Skyrim but actual interesting characters and story + boobs, is that about right?

Do not play Dragon's Dogma for characters and story

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basically. It came out a few months after Skyrim and I enjoyed it leagues more than Skyrim.

Ok, I no read good. Not story and characters. It has better gameplay. The combat is so much fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s really good and fun.

The combat is fun too.

Get it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Do not play Dragon's Dogma for characters and story

The story is backloaded and rad, because the story is generic garbage your character isn't invested in or really told all of because the real story is the first story doesn't matter, you're achieving apotheosis during armageddeon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't wait to get Dragon's Dogma. I need a big beefy RPG for the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The story is backloaded and rad

Yeah the story is cool and good.