Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I beat FFXV a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. I really went into it almost grudgingly. "Final Fantasy hasn't been good in years but I might as well go on this beautiful boy adventure" but once the new content started kicking in it was incredible. Honestly the hardest I've been hit by a game in a long time.

I feel almost like I've been lied to about 15 being bad, though I can see where, without the new content, a number of big story beats just fall entirely flat.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I honestly think XV will get looked upon pretty fondly in a bit of time, being lumped in with maybe VIII in the “flawed but really fun” category.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best part of 13 is that it eventually gave us Lightning Returns, so maybe in 25 years we'll get Aranea Returns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HD DAD posted:

I honestly think XV will get looked upon pretty fondly in a bit of time, being lumped in with maybe VIII in the “flawed but really fun” category.

I think it's really great. The ending especially was just real great and the more time you spent in the early parts of the game makes it a whole lot sweeter.

Also the music is great, even though one of the tracks is pretty similar to that Elder Scrolls song.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

HD DAD posted:

Really? Because from what I've seen opinions on 8 still skew way more into the negative than otherwise. Maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right places.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

jokes posted:

Also the music is great, even though one of the tracks is pretty similar to that Elder Scrolls song.

Going back and realizing that the vocal version of Somnus is in the very first trailer for FFXIII versus just blew my mind, given how the finished project recontextualizes it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://www.onemillionpower.com/25-years-since-the-release-of-final-fantasy-vi-looking-back-at-the-passion/

Jesus Christ.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DrNutt posted:

Wait a second. Once I beat this Final Fantasy game, it let's me keep playing? :wtc: And you can't even complete the crystariums until you do???

I hope you like Long Guis

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Post optimal Turtles Per Minute strats.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hoooooooly poo poo that's incredible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Post optimal Turtles Per Minute strats.

Fang+3 TP+something to numb the pain = Enough turtles per minute.

DrNutt posted:

Wait a second. Once I beat this Final Fantasy game, it let's me keep playing? :wtc: And you can't even complete the crystariums until you do???

I mean, thats pretty common for FF games that there is a post game. They added it into the old games too, FFV for instance has a massive sprawling post game dungeon and unique garbage post game class.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Fang+3 TP+something to numb the pain = Enough turtles per minute.

I mean, thats pretty common for FF games that there is a post game. They added it into the old games too, FFV for instance has a massive sprawling post game dungeon and unique garbage post game class.

I guess? I know there's usually optional hard content but I have never been able to continue on after beating the game. Always have to load a save up from before the final boss or whatever. In fairness these are the Final Fantasy games I have beaten: Final Fantasy 3 on the Super NES, also the Steam port, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 12. I have a lot of work cut out for me in my goal of playing and beating them all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I guess? I know there's usually optional hard content but I have never been able to continue on after beating the game. Always have to load a save up from before the final boss or whatever. In fairness these are the Final Fantasy games I have beaten: Final Fantasy 3 on the Super NES, also the Steam port, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 12. I have a lot of work cut out for me in my goal of playing and beating them all.

I mean, technically you load your save out front the final boss in FF13 once you beat the game just like the old games, you just get a powerup and a teleport point before being set free on the postgame content.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

I mean, technically you load your save out front the final boss in FF13 once you beat the game just like the old games, you just get a powerup and a teleport point before being set free on the postgame content.

That does seem like a pretty big difference, because not being able to "complete" your character builds until after you beat the game seems a little novel if weird and counterintuitive (which I guess you could say for a lot of 13).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

That does seem like a pretty big difference, because not being able to "complete" your character builds until after you beat the game seems a little novel if weird and counterintuitive (which I guess you could say for a lot of 13).

I mean, you are completing your builds during the game. Its not really any different from games like FFIV withholding superior items to the post game or FFV holding onto classes for the post game. These are things that would make you stronger than the main game is designed for and is a reward for beating the game so the post game still provides feelings of progression. FF13 just has less leeway to let you overlevel versus old games so it has to control your level cap, which is why it gets raised post game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

I mean, you are completing your builds during the game. Its not really any different from games like FFIV withholding superior items to the post game or FFV holding onto classes for the post game. These are things that would make you stronger than the main game is designed for and is a reward for beating the game so the post game still provides feelings of progression. FF13 just has less leeway to let you overlevel versus old games so it has to control your level cap, which is why it gets raised post game.

Yeah I don't think it's necessarily bad or anything, but was that true in the OG versions of 4 and 5? Or just starting with the GBA versions? I'm only belaboring the point because "post-game" describing optional end game content seems different from being literally "post-game" as in only unlocking once you have completed the game. Like I said, not necessarily bad, just different from the way other Final Fantasy games I have played did it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oath2order posted:

I beat FFXV a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. I really went into it almost grudgingly. "Final Fantasy hasn't been good in years but I might as well go on this beautiful boy adventure" but once the new content started kicking in it was incredible. Honestly the hardest I've been hit by a game in a long time.

I feel almost like I've been lied to about 15 being bad, though I can see where, without the new content, a number of big story beats just fall entirely flat.

even at release people were mixed-at-best on most of the content but near-universally agreed that the ending was superb

as for the new content, most of it was decent but the "season 2" dlc's looked to be on track to ruin everything interesting about the game's story so thank god they got canned

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I don't think it's necessarily bad or anything, but was that true in the OG versions of 4 and 5? Or just starting with the GBA versions?

Starting with GBA, though those predate 13 by a good bit.

XV also continues the "there is postgame only content"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF13 had the right way of doing it, because being able to beat the optional superbosses in all the other games meant that the actual final boss of the game was trivially easy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

FF13 had the right way of doing it, because being able to beat the optional superbosses in all the other games meant that the actual final boss of the game was trivially easy.

If I've gone through that much trouble I want to coast to the end, honestly, I don't care how easy the last boss is. The way FF7 did it sucked, where it made the last boss progressively harder the more you had leveled. I am leveling to make things easier for myself, not harder.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Having the ability to one-shot the final boss was a tried and true FF staple.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can't you have every character quad-cast kotr every round in FF7?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
im not sure what the point of armiger unleashed is if you can be knocked out of it unlike normal armiger

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ItBreathes posted:

Can't you have every character quad-cast kotr every round in FF7?

kotr doesn't work with quadra magic

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not too sure if this belongs in the Avengers thread or the Final Fantasy thread, so I'll post it to both. A neat video comparing the structure and character composition/types Final Fantasy VI to Infinity War. 

https://youtu.be/TNYZbtjzY-g

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can of course just bash Emerald Weapon to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLufKvNxoMM

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Knights of the round is scrub DPS, it's all animation. Get back to me when you have everyone dead but cloud forever miming his omnislash or have weird materia combos to forever regen into lucky 7s

I never actually power gamed FF7 so sorry if that's not actually a pro strat, I just know KOTR is strangely bad in the grand scheme of min max because it's a slow way to spam 9999s.

Selhiroth buffs are bad not because they wanted to give you extra challenge, but because it just makes the fight longer when you have no real threat to party wiping if you have confuse proof.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think if you are going to break the game's combat system over your knee then it probably doesn't matter which final boss you get. I'm not really sure who is playing FF7 blind in 2019 but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard for an average person to level past the "easy" version of the fight and wind up with one of the harder ones and still have quite a challenge. Not that it's a bad thing or anything, just that it could be a thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh thank god now I don't have to catch up on a million posts

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A time where Square was actually finishing something in a reasonable time frame.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It seems like FFV and VI were among the few games where something wasn’t on fire during production.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HD DAD posted:

It seems like FFV and VI were among the few games where something wasn’t on fire during production.

No small coincidence that they're the two best FF games.

in my opinion

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not too sure if this belongs in the Avengers thread or the Final Fantasy thread, so I'll post it to both. A neat video comparing the structure and character composition/types Final Fantasy VI to Infinity War. 

https://youtu.be/TNYZbtjzY-g

Does it say spiderman is relm? And doctor strange is his grandpa?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Reading and listening to a lot of stuff about Square making the games from that era feels so surreal and quaint at the same time. They'd start a project, finish it, take a month vacation, and then start and finish another project. They made Chrono Trigger because they wanted to kill time between Final Fantasy 6 and 7. It boggles my mind how a masterpiece exists because they needed to fill in a gap. If my 12 year old self could ask me what number Final Fantasy they were on now he'd be so confused and disappointed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

He compared Gau to Spiderman. Relm and Stargo never got mentioned beyond cutscenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Gau is Spider-Man because they're both children and animal themed.

I don't remember if he linked Dr Strange to anyone as at that time I was eating the spiciest chicken of my life.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reading and listening to a lot of stuff about Square making the games from that era feels so surreal and quaint at the same time. They'd start a project, finish it, take a month vacation, and then start and finish another project. They made Chrono Trigger because they wanted to kill time between Final Fantasy 6 and 7. It boggles my mind how a masterpiece exists because they needed to fill in a gap. If my 12 year old self could ask me what number Final Fantasy they were on now he'd be so confused and disappointed.

They developed egos.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No small coincidence that they're the two best FF games.

in my opinion

:hai:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

as for the new content, most of it was decent but the "season 2" dlc's looked to be on track to ruin everything interesting about the game's story so thank god they got canned

And all we had to sacrifice was the women.

All I really hope about XV is that any regard for the game on the developer's side comes a long time after it could've influenced future titles. I feel like it's a game that, as a mainline numbered Final Fantasy, makes every wrong choice available in what it should be, even if it managed to execute some of those bad decisions well.

But I can't even hate XV itself too much for that, because it wasn't supposed to be held to that standard, it was supposed to be a spinoff we'd probably by and large forget about a couple years after its release.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Narrator: Final Fantasy 15........ was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed FFXV mostly when I played it but I've cooled on it a lot since then. It honestly is kinda like FF13 in that I really like the ideas it has but the execution just doesn't work for me. It has a lot of interesting concepts and I enjoy some of the character interactions but (especially if you don't buy all the DLC) it ends up feeling very thin and I honestly kind of lose track of the entire middle section of the game plot-and-character-wise.