Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lol just lol that anyone would offer their skills as at a level of less than 100% competence on a resume, the very first thing the person making a hiring decision sees

Flat Daddy posted:

I didn’t practice my salary range avoidance lines and ended up hemming and hawing so bad over the phone in a initial recruiter call when asked (“they won’t take applicants without a number”). at least it ended with me just not giving an answer rather than me farting out a low number and feeling like a dick hole afterward, like I’ve done before

now I can ask for too much money over email instead I guess.

Practice is 90% of the game when it comes to this. They do it all day. You do it when you are forced to. Equalize the playing field and just practice practice practice. Doesn't matter if you use rote responses with recruiters, you're trying to win, not to impress. Shrug it off and find another position to try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

qirex posted:

I'm literally a professional designer and my resume is 100% text [but I can see this power level 9000 crap catching on]

also marital status and citizenship are things companies are banned by law from asking you :psyduck:

infographic emoji filled resumes ... resumemes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Not a Children posted:

lol just lol that anyone would offer their skills as at a level of less than 100% competence on a resume, the very first thing the person making a hiring decision sees

Practice is 90% of the game when it comes to this. They do it all day. You do it when you are forced to. Equalize the playing field and just practice practice practice. Doesn't matter if you use rote responses with recruiters, you're trying to win, not to impress. Shrug it off and find another position to try again

the recruiter sure doesn't care

don't worry about bruising an hr person's feelings

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

traveling and socializing are not hobbies

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I feel like those resumes don't give you enough space to actually describe the positions

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

url posted:

infographic emoji filled resumes ... resumemes

• heckin chonky at responsive javascript frameworks like angular and react 😹😹
  • collaboration skills with distributed, cross-functional teams on fleek 💯💯💯💅

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

• heckin chonky at responsive javascript frameworks like angular and react 😹😹
  • collaboration skills with distributed, cross-functional teams on fleek 💯💯💯💅

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Objective: yeet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

• 👏 completed 👏 agile 👏 scrum 👏 training 👏

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

qirex posted:

I feel if you put "agile" ANYWHERE on your resume these days you'll instantly get past the computer screen.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

Lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iospace posted:

I feel if you put "agile" ANYWHERE on your resume these days you'll instantly get past the computer screen.
I definitely upped the buzzword compliance this time around and I think it worked

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I put the word DevOps on my LinkedIn and got 30% more views that month.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

iospace posted:

My current boss did that in reverse when inviting me in for an on-site interview. I'd expressed some reservations about the kinds of projects they were describing in the initial video interview and my boss emailed, "We are a smaller and more agile shop." Once I got here, I confirmed beyond all doubt that they meant small-a agile and not capital-a Agile. Lesson learned for the next round of interviews!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Chase gave me an offer and I was pressured to accept. The lead designer didn't have the best things to say off the record to where it feels like even more of a step back tech wise and skill wise. The salary is huge and it gets me out of the state into the Chicago market though? I'll be a UX Designer still not integrating with customers and access to no research. The tech stack is a desktop PC and they just got the newest Axure.

Things are getting worse at my current job with the micro-management getting turned up on our devs. Luckily no one pays attention to lone designer so I've still got some space.

I'm still not feeling great about this position. I have had a lot of growth in my current position in spite of it feeling like an albatross on my resume. I'm afraid of putting another albatross on there. I haven't gave notice to my current company yet.

Still flying to NYC and doing an in-person at a sweet company there on Monday and my friend got me back into Humana's pipeline, which can be a position in Louisville or Chicago.

Not sure if I should rescind my acceptance and wait? I'm so burned out I've been applying and interviewing for 8 months now. What does the YOSPOS think?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 10, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheese eats mouse posted:

Chase gave me an offer and I was pressured to accept. The lead designer didn't have the best things to say off the record to where it feels like even more of a step back tech wise and skill wise. The salary is huge and it gets me out of the state into the Chicago market though? I'll be a UX Designer still not integrating with customers and access to no research. The tech stack is a desktop PC and they just got the newest Axure.

Things are getting worse at my current job with the micro-management getting turned up on our devs. Luckily no one pays attention to lone designer so I've still got some space.

I'm still not feeling great about this position. I have had a lot of growth in my current position in spite of it feeling like an albatross on my resume. I'm afraid of putting another albatross on there. I haven't gave notice to my current company yet.

Still flying to NYC and doing an in-person at a sweet company there on Monday and my friend got me back into Humana's pipeline, which can be a position in Louisville or Chicago.

Not sure if I should rescind my acceptance and wait? I'm so burned out I've been applying and interviewing for 8 months now. What does the YOSPOS think?

if you already accepted, don't rescind unless you are accepting something else that's way better; you can keep looking for jobs even after you get a new one

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Captain Foo posted:

if you already accepted, don't rescind unless you are accepting something else that's way better; you can keep looking for jobs even after you get a new one

Yep! I'll find out more next Monday and hopefully get some answers then. I think the NYC job will be so much better.

I do like the lead. We clicked instantly and I think working with her and the other designers will at least be a nice change from being the only person.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

if your current job has you so burnt out then just do it. if the chase job is just as bad you can keep looking which is what you're already doing so no big deal. If the job is better then great, you can still look for new work if its not exactly what you want, but you wont be so stressed about it.

also the point of a better resume is to get more money so if the chase job is a lot more then mission accomplished. keep in mind larger orgs tend to have better internal training and mentoring systems than startups and smaller orgs which wont have them at all.

wrt tech I have no idea how much it matters for designers. if I was looking for a designer i'd probably want to see work output way more than anything else, but im not a designer

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
last night I said gently caress it and just applied to all the big ones and got my first response. I’m hoping the process takes 1 billion years because while I’m really killing it with the strings and linked lists portion of CTCI, if there’s anything harder than those questions I think I’m hosed.

w/ the recruiter that forced a number I emailed a nice even number 40% higher than my already inflated comp and immediately got back a “...call me” email lol. my batna is keeping an easy relatively high paying (IMO) but unfulfilling job so w/e

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Flat Daddy posted:

last night I said gently caress it and just applied to all the big ones and got my first response. I’m hoping the process takes 1 billion years because while I’m really killing it with the strings and linked lists portion of CTCI, if there’s anything harder than those questions I think I’m hosed.

w/ the recruiter that forced a number I emailed a nice even number 40% higher than my already inflated comp and immediately got back a “...call me” email lol. my batna is keeping an easy relatively high paying (IMO) but unfulfilling job so w/e

If you aren't interviewing for a specific position, you can probably delay the phone screen and onsite by a month each if you want time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

asur posted:

If you aren't interviewing for a specific position, you can probably delay the phone screen and onsite by a month each if you want time.

when apple called for my phone screen I was in Europe and I told them we'd have to put it off for about 6 weeks. I work at Apple now

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks good to know. I already responded to setting up the recruiter screen in the next couple of days (before I saw the responses itt, whoops) but I’ll try and delay the rest. and go back and read the posts on minimum spanning trees I skipped in the meantime

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

also had an interview in-house where the manager asked me:

☕️: “where do you see yourself in two years?”

😔: “why two years?”

☕️: “I don’t think you can answer where you are in five years”

at currentjob one of the people asked me that and my response was 'how the hell should i know all my previous five-year plans have been way off there's no point even guessing' and then eight months later i moved across the country and now i live in remote purgatory

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
After bouncing this resume around the forums a bunch (thanks to those who have given feedback already) I feel a lot better about this one, and am about to finally give this bad boi a spin. One last look would be a huge help!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Kill like a third of the bullet points, do two columns, then it's one page

(Move heaven and earth to get it to be one page)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

if your current job has you so burnt out then just do it. if the chase job is just as bad you can keep looking which is what you're already doing so no big deal. If the job is better then great, you can still look for new work if its not exactly what you want, but you wont be so stressed about it.

also the point of a better resume is to get more money so if the chase job is a lot more then mission accomplished. keep in mind larger orgs tend to have better internal training and mentoring systems than startups and smaller orgs which wont have them at all.

wrt tech I have no idea how much it matters for designers. if I was looking for a designer i'd probably want to see work output way more than anything else, but im not a designer

shaggar is rite

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

as an interviewer I have never cared if a resume was longer than a page

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

Its don't care (70%) and toss it straight into the garbage (30%), about, ime

You can't improve chances by that much by doing anything else to your resume unless you have some time cube rear end stuff in there

Doesn't apply at all for euros, academics and peeps who have been working a few decades, but they aint any of them

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Bloody posted:

i'm pretty convinced it doesn't actually matter, but most people are bad at getting to the point, so you see things like paragraph-long objectives or "implemented feature requests" worded 6 different ways

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
at my current place we start making fun of you beforehand at about the 4 page mark

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anybody who automatically throws resumes longer than a page in the trash is a stone cold idiot

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unless the application instructions say to only send 1 page then I guess it makes sense 🤷‍♀️

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

anybody who automatically throws resumes longer than a page in the trash is a stone cold idiot

30% of front line resume readers being stone cold idiots is a lowball

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that’s fair

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

it's all loving stupid and terrible from both sides of the aisle

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

it's all loving stupid and terrible from both sides of the aisle

one might say interviewing and recruiting is garbage

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

at my current place we start making fun of you beforehand at about the 4 page mark

I once received a resume that was 34 pages long. Not a European style CV, a Resume.

It was such a clusterfuck that I looked at the whole drat thing. It averaged 1 line per 3 weeks the guy worked at a job.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I once received a resume that was 34 pages long. Not a European style CV, a Resume.

It was such a clusterfuck that I looked at the whole drat thing. It averaged 1 line per 3 weeks the guy worked at a job.
Please find enclosed my entire commit history...

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I didn't throw it in the trash but I rarely read past one page... I don't really care what you did 10-20 years ago in your career, I'm just curious about your last few jobs since that's what we're going to be talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah for me 2 or 3 (if you're good) at the most is fine. But if I see more than that I immediately start thinking the candidate does not seem to understand the point of a resume, especially if I'm struggling to get the meat off the bone.