Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I settled in the Burning Forest and I'm considering packing up and leaving because it's full of blood spiders and they're really annoying to deal with

Fuckers just do way too much damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I joined the hounds and made a base on the north edge of the swamp. The swamp kind of sucks because there’s no wind, so you’re going to have to make hemp oil to run generators which is a ton of research. Now I’m trying to pump out rice bowls. I’m also getting attacked by blood spiders, band of bones, swamp ninjas and red sabers, which is pretty annoying because their loot sucks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tarezax posted:

I settled in the Burning Forest and I'm considering packing up and leaving because it's full of blood spiders and they're really annoying to deal with

I’m glad I wasn’t the first person to make this mistake in the beginning

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What are the pro/cons of buying all the real estate in the Hub instead of doing a 'proper' settlement?
I know that the limited power can hamper your activity somewhat, but I can build the smaller windmills on the roof of all non-shack buildings to increase my margins a bit.
I'm using the Hub Guards / Hub Regeneration mods, so security isn't too much of an issue.
I can't lay down farms, but I can develop hydroponics later on and I don't intend to keep a huge team anyway. Besides, mooching off Hiver's kills in Vain is a relatively short trip that can secure a huge amount of meat.
I won't have a lot of merchants to unload my junk with (bar + rebel base + police agent from the expanded bounties mod), but I would have to do trade trips regardless if I lay down a settlement, and the nearby towns have pretty much anything I need.

I'm mostly asking because I started a new game and had a pretty lucky streak, with a well-placed dust bandit lair leaving me with enough loot to buy the most expensive house in the Hub by day 3 and money to spare.

e: The lair was right next to the rebel 'base' just north of the Hub, which meant by the time the bandit bodies were all piled up it was a conveniently short trip to sell all their gear. After I bled the barman there out of every cat, I headed down to the Hub to sell the rest, but I had no room in my inventory to carry it all, so I shoved it into the inventory of a couple of corpses and hauled them off as a pair of human backpacks. I'm normal 😌

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you aren't running any mods to make refineries tiny so you can put them in buildings and moisture condensers, you wont be able to get water for your hydroponics or refine your ores.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mauman posted:

edit - oh yeah, forgot that griffon does want money. Was getting him mixed up with another guy. Still, 9k is nothing once you figure out how to get money and 20+ stats can't be beaten early on.

If you don't have the money he'll join you anyway, if they haven't fixed that bug yet.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

Tarezax posted:

a few well paced harpoon/turrets will keep them from getting anywhere near your base, or at least the gates. They're one hit wonders.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I joined the hounds and made a base on the north edge of the swamp. The swamp kind of sucks because there’s no wind, so you’re going to have to make hemp oil to run generators which is a ton of research. Now I’m trying to pump out rice bowls. I’m also getting attacked by blood spiders, band of bones, swamp ninjas and red sabers, which is pretty annoying because their loot sucks.

The Wetlands just south of the swamp are pretty good for a similar region. Always getting wind, herds of turtles always walking by my turrets provide a ton of free meat, hemp/rice are easy to grow and you can get 100% ore/stone/copper deposits all in one place. The only real downside is that it's a UC taxable zone.

this is the general area where my southern base is setup. Mass producing gohan/sake/armor etc and is pretty much set and forget. Turret guards keep the occasional red saber/slaver raids/occasional blood spider from getting in and I only have to pop back once a week to pay the tax. If my plans work out, soon enough even that part will go away...

deadseedinside fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 10, 2019

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

pic didn't attach....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

What are the pro/cons of buying all the real estate in the Hub instead of doing a 'proper' settlement?
There is literally nothing there. The point of buying homes in a pre-settled town would be to have easy access to its shops and to the safety that infinitely respawning squads of armored meat shields provide. Hub is already a ruin inhabited by just about no one except for a couple hobos and a street gang. It's pretty much Detroit, except you own it. If you ever need to do anything you'd want to live in a city for, then you'll still have to leave and go where the stuff is, because you can't even so much as buy a loaf of bread in that place. Well, none that isn't already the other half of a Mystery Meat pita wrap, at least.

Again, just like Detroit.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah there's really no reason to settle in the Hub when Squin is right there

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/4VuDvDJ.mp4

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Squin has the dubious distinction of being a literal hole in the (cliff) wall and still making Hub look worse from the comparison.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
In fairness wasn't the hub supposedly almost entirely razed to the ground shortly before the player start-time? Doesn't explain the lack of a water source though, I guess everyone there survives by guzzling bath-tub sake in the bar?

As an aside, how viable would it be to just plop a well down just outside the city boundaries, ignoring the raids it generates and occasionally running someone over to resupply?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its doable but your rate of water collection is going to be super slow

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

There are better places to setup near a town than the Hub. If you're going to turn on the "Raid Me" flag to the world, you might as well do it so that you get more perks out of where you're setting up. Hub is good to work from in early game, but it really is kinda a dead zone once you start exploring out from there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You'd also probably want to be near a place that has actual gate guards, so when you're running they won't just walk into town and kill you anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

There are better places to setup near a town than the Hub. If you're going to turn on the "Raid Me" flag to the world, you might as well do it so that you get more perks out of where you're setting up. Hub is good to work from in early game, but it really is kinda a dead zone once you start exploring out from there.
It is, however, one of the absolutely least lethal ones, so I like to dump a skeleton somewhere around the place and just let him stand there as insurance against a worst-case scenario like wiping while hunting Leviathans. I like to call him Iron Man. Not a lot in the way of magnetic fields, but he is there for the future of man-kind. Vengeance from the grave optional, but welcome.

And just to give that a bit of context, I recently read an interesting comment from one of the developers. Apparently, the "chance to die" slider isn't just the chance to die slider. It's also a 1:1 global multiplier to XP gained. Put it to max and dying constantly isn't nearly as much of a problem as it sounds - or even worth reloading over, because it's not like it'll take long to groom a troupe of replacements. Armor is, happily enough, entirely unbreakable. What, no, that chain shirt definitely isn't cursed, even if the six previous Henchman #3's before you used to wear it. That just means it's quality work! Clearly there's not even a scratch on it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that should make AFK strength training a bit more tolerable, if you do that

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Last saturday I started a new slave start and left it running AFK for like 6 hours while i did other stuff. Resulted in some strong fast starter chars. Since then I managed to escape and wandered north for a little bit until I looped back down to the hub to research/scheme. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole thing.

I made a mine near the hub and started making building materials with 3 out of 4 chars while the 4th continually mined copper near the hub to keep a marginal income flow and food in people's bellies. I scouted the area looking for a place to build a base and learn those ropes. I really love base building it was a main driver in buying this game. I sent my main guy who thanks to slaving for 50 days had like 60 str and 70 athletics and a traders backpack full of building mats to scout locations. The Vain was a scary place. I am all inclusive and have a few shek and women in my crew so going north of the hub was a no go. I went into the swamp and got lost and couldnt find any spots with good iron or copper near by. I eventually found a fairly even plateau on the eastern edge of the borderlands near skinners roam (which I have not explored). It is just north of a waystation, by that tiny settlement which has good mats just laying about to help jump start the settlement, and good stone, like 3 iron deposits, a 2 person copper deposit and 100% fert. Water reading in prospecting is not great (arid area) but I have not used water yet. So I decided that this is the place to try out babbies first settlement. build a mine and two processors, and went out and hired like 4 more recruits. squad has 8 or 9 peeps now. with 6 of them dedicated to producing building materials or iron plates. Almost have the walls completely up. though they are only mk1.
I didnt realize I could build research bench lvl 2 on the roof of a stormhouse in the hub so I just started researching t2 stuff. researched building shells first, and am working on building a bughouse first (it looked the coolest). Though it requires 35 building mats jeeeez.

Anyway I'm excited about getting started on the base. Looking around at how others defend bases I will have to redo the front end, I just have a double gate but have not kept them closed. If I close them does that prevent my dudes from transiting on their own? Like is it a complete lockdown?

There have been A LOT (near constant) wandering dust bandits and raids like every single day. To all new players I must say that mercs to guard the base are a STEAL at 1k a day. If you have someone who is just dedicated to mining copper off screen while you try to get stuff set up somewhere this is easily paid for. The mercs get downed a lot because of frequent enemies, but they get back up quickly and whomp the poo poo out of dust bandits. Tho I was also raided by some ninja dudes I've never seen before who appeared to be a match for the mercs. Most of the time since my walls are not completely up I just send my labor crew off into the hills if I even need to. Most of the time the raiders get hung up with the mercs and don't even aggro on my dudes who can keep laboring away.

I'm not sure if there is some standard way to make a new base, but building from the inside out (with moderate disruption due to raids) appears to be a working formula. Why haul when I can just build immediately as I produce on site? Once I figure out how to produce my own food things will become infinitely easier/less micro managey. Biggest hurdle right now is keeping everyone fed. Like 50% of my somewhat passive income is spent on food. Where is a good place to buy wheatstraw and cactus? I need some to research the farming?

All in all having a blast as I am transitioning out of an RPG kind of mindset and into an RTS mindset. I look forward to switching back and exploring more once I get a stable self-sufficient homebase up and running.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Be careful how you setup your turrets (how close to each other on the wall, angles of attack etc,) as they will absolutely shoot each other when tracking moving targets. Learned this the hard way by coming back to a few limbless turret guys. Also, be careful with the auto-engineer job as once someone starts breaking down the gates the engineers will run over to repair it on the fly. This puts them right in the line of fire of the turret guys clearing the gate.

For the food, waystations in that area tend to carry a lot of the raw farming material. You *do* need to research farming each specific crop first, and then you will need some starter material of that type to get the crops going. My suggestion is to start with one small field and once that is fully completed, then you can put in the large ones and have the small one just provide the starter seeds right off the hop. My first try at large scale farming, I put in all the fields first and then when they started building them, the workers kept spreading the material around equally so no particular field would end up finished and producing and I would have to keep going out and doing runs for more starter seed to finish a field to start producing to fund the other fields.

Of all the foods, bread is a pain in the rear end b/c it takes a couple extra steps to make it (compared to pumping out tonnes of cooked veggies, cactus sticks or rice bowls), but once you can get a reliable flow of bread going, you can triple your nutritional content with gohan/dustwiches.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You can click on objects you’ve placed and pause their construction, which will allow you to lay down plans but not have all your materials spread across a half dozen farms or windmills

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

e: I spent maybe half an hour standing around in my cage in Obedience and got to back to The Deadbug Formerly Known As Prince rocking nearly 80 stealth, 50 lockpicking and thirty-ish toughness after starting with base value of 1 in everything. Six hours sound like serious overkil.I'd say that it seems to be a flat multiplier applied on top of what you already have circumstantially before that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 10, 2019

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Last saturday I started a new slave start and left it running AFK for like 6 hours while i did other stuff. Resulted in some strong fast starter chars. Since then I managed to escape and wandered north for a little bit until I looped back down to the hub to research/scheme. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole thing.

I made a mine near the hub and started making building materials with 3 out of 4 chars while the 4th continually mined copper near the hub to keep a marginal income flow and food in people's bellies. I scouted the area looking for a place to build a base and learn those ropes. I really love base building it was a main driver in buying this game. I sent my main guy who thanks to slaving for 50 days had like 60 str and 70 athletics and a traders backpack full of building mats to scout locations. The Vain was a scary place. I am all inclusive and have a few shek and women in my crew so going north of the hub was a no go. I went into the swamp and got lost and couldnt find any spots with good iron or copper near by. I eventually found a fairly even plateau on the eastern edge of the borderlands near skinners roam (which I have not explored). It is just north of a waystation, by that tiny settlement which has good mats just laying about to help jump start the settlement, and good stone, like 3 iron deposits, a 2 person copper deposit and 100% fert. Water reading in prospecting is not great (arid area) but I have not used water yet. So I decided that this is the place to try out babbies first settlement. build a mine and two processors, and went out and hired like 4 more recruits. squad has 8 or 9 peeps now. with 6 of them dedicated to producing building materials or iron plates. Almost have the walls completely up. though they are only mk1.
I didnt realize I could build research bench lvl 2 on the roof of a stormhouse in the hub so I just started researching t2 stuff. researched building shells first, and am working on building a bughouse first (it looked the coolest). Though it requires 35 building mats jeeeez.

Anyway I'm excited about getting started on the base. Looking around at how others defend bases I will have to redo the front end, I just have a double gate but have not kept them closed. If I close them does that prevent my dudes from transiting on their own? Like is it a complete lockdown?

There have been A LOT (near constant) wandering dust bandits and raids like every single day. To all new players I must say that mercs to guard the base are a STEAL at 1k a day. If you have someone who is just dedicated to mining copper off screen while you try to get stuff set up somewhere this is easily paid for. The mercs get downed a lot because of frequent enemies, but they get back up quickly and whomp the poo poo out of dust bandits. Tho I was also raided by some ninja dudes I've never seen before who appeared to be a match for the mercs. Most of the time since my walls are not completely up I just send my labor crew off into the hills if I even need to. Most of the time the raiders get hung up with the mercs and don't even aggro on my dudes who can keep laboring away.

I'm not sure if there is some standard way to make a new base, but building from the inside out (with moderate disruption due to raids) appears to be a working formula. Why haul when I can just build immediately as I produce on site? Once I figure out how to produce my own food things will become infinitely easier/less micro managey. Biggest hurdle right now is keeping everyone fed. Like 50% of my somewhat passive income is spent on food. Where is a good place to buy wheatstraw and cactus? I need some to research the farming?

All in all having a blast as I am transitioning out of an RPG kind of mindset and into an RTS mindset. I look forward to switching back and exploring more once I get a stable self-sufficient homebase up and running.

I built my first base in that same location. It's a good spot. I used the moisture condenser mod to get water and built a few of those on a roof. Hydroponics is also nice.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ironically one of the best ways to train the physical stats is to have your guys do naked fist fights with prisoners. Make sure they're at least sort of evenly matched though, or you'll just kill your recruits. And remember that eventually that hungry bandit will become a god from you beating the piss out of him

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Or just go the somewhat cheaty method of installing the training weapons mod and have everyone beat on each other with whiffle bats until they become combat legends.

A new, also cheaty, mod that I really like is Outposts - Not Towns!. It goes a bit too far for my tastes (I'd probably still have walls and large farms trigger raids, for example), but now I can plop down a stone mine and refinery without bringing in random jackasses from 100 miles away who desperately want my rocks.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So I did the rock bottom start as a skeleton cause it seemed less scary. I'm currently hanging out in Heft after spending some time scavenging stuff from dudes the guards kill (or dudes killed by skimmers). Bought an arm, and started slaving outlaws and rebel farmers for some small cash (400 a piece, IDK if the bounty from the police is higher or if they even have a bounty).

Then I found out i could steal stuff, so I've been training my lockpick and what not and stole some useful things (like repair kits) and some expensive armor and managed to fence it for full price. I have like 20k or so.

I also have a large backpack full of copper alloy plates that i'm not sure what to do with. I'm super encumbered (like 70%) and not sure where to stash this stuff.

can i just toss it on the ground, or will it decay or get picked up? where should I go from here?

My guys pretty weak combat wise. I have like 12 strength (not sure if this matters) and 3 crossbow skill. IDK what my other weapon skills are or if I have them. I'm rocking some ninja armor i found on a dying ninja. Ninja rags i think. they give me some boosts to skills which is cool and don't weigh much.

anyway. My robot man is coming along. I kind of want to hire another robot man and maybe start some kind of robot society though I feel like that is a long way off.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tabletops posted:

So I did the rock bottom start as a skeleton cause it seemed less scary. I'm currently hanging out in Heft after spending some time scavenging stuff from dudes the guards kill (or dudes killed by skimmers). Bought an arm, and started slaving outlaws and rebel farmers for some small cash (400 a piece, IDK if the bounty from the police is higher or if they even have a bounty).

Then I found out i could steal stuff, so I've been training my lockpick and what not and stole some useful things (like repair kits) and some expensive armor and managed to fence it for full price. I have like 20k or so.

I also have a large backpack full of copper alloy plates that i'm not sure what to do with. I'm super encumbered (like 70%) and not sure where to stash this stuff.

can i just toss it on the ground, or will it decay or get picked up? where should I go from here?

My guys pretty weak combat wise. I have like 12 strength (not sure if this matters) and 3 crossbow skill. IDK what my other weapon skills are or if I have them. I'm rocking some ninja armor i found on a dying ninja. Ninja rags i think. they give me some boosts to skills which is cool and don't weigh much.

anyway. My robot man is coming along. I kind of want to hire another robot man and maybe start some kind of robot society though I feel like that is a long way off.

Run around a bit on triple speed with that encumbrance, then sell the plates. That's for much later staged stuff.

Dropping bag on the ground can cause it to disappear if you walk too far away once memory unloads.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You could just carry it in your backpack until it doesn't encumber you anymore.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Donkringel posted:

Run around a bit on triple speed with that encumbrance, then sell the plates. That's for much later staged stuff.

Dropping bag on the ground can cause it to disappear if you walk too far away once memory unloads.

is there a way to set like a patrol or something? or should I just click somewhere really far on the map and just run

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tabletops posted:

is there a way to set like a patrol or something? or should I just click somewhere really far on the map and just run

You can set someone to mine at a node then to haul to an ore container in the middle of bumblefuck.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Leal posted:

You can set someone to mine at a node then to haul to an ore container in the middle of bumblefuck.

cool, i'll give that a try

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can also (and probably should) set a few others to bodyguard the character so they will also join in the running back and forth, along with the whole protection thing.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Remember to carry a body while doing it to double your gains

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
oh man....that npc double bug happened again last night right before I took on Bad Teeth.

That was a cool interesting fight.

Then the npc's loving tripled right before Blister Hill.

Hundred+ holy nation citizens/soldiers dying in the streets...wish I had taken a picture.

Sadly I lost. Evidently my team is NOT strong enough to take on triple the normal amount of inquisitors + the phoenix. Especially since I was already weakened from the bloodbath outside.

Time to import. Hopefully it doens't gently caress too much with my progress :saddowns:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
are there any mods that increase the speed factor maximum?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The farming researches should really have a Conan like wheel of pain for non electric wheat grinding.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So i got my robit mining and bringing stuff back to a box. I bought a house in heft so I could research stuff cause i thought i needed to. not a big deal, was only 4000 i guess.

anyway, so he's mining and bringing it back to the storage container i made for it. But hes only bringing back 5 at a time? is there a way to make him load his inventory up before he heads back?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Tabletops posted:

So i got my robit mining and bringing stuff back to a box. I bought a house in heft so I could research stuff cause i thought i needed to. not a big deal, was only 4000 i guess.

anyway, so he's mining and bringing it back to the storage container i made for it. But hes only bringing back 5 at a time? is there a way to make him load his inventory up before he heads back?

get a backpack or at least a scavengers bucket

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

EmbryoSteve posted:

get a backpack or at least a scavengers bucket

i have one but hes not filling it up. just picks up the 5 from the copper deposit and takes it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tabletops posted:

If you're unmodded then I think 5 is the maximum the mining node can store within itself so I guess he's going "Welp, it's full, can't mine anymore, better haul" and does that rather than realize "Oh now I can mine again"?