Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Astro7x posted:

ESRB ratings are stupid, and is there any reason why the industry can't just self regulate themselves with rating their own content? That's what TV does, there is no ratings board that assigns ratings for shows.

Source your quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astro7x posted:

ESRB ratings are stupid, and is there any reason why the industry can't just self regulate themselves with rating their own content? That's what TV does, there is no ratings board that assigns ratings for shows.

The entire reason for the ESRB existing is because the games industry didn't want the government stepping in and creating overly harsh rules and ratings. They created the ESRB to show they were putting in the effort to stop children from playing GTA or Doom or whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arguing about the ESRB in 2019. What a time we live in.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My aim icon used to be a gif of a stick figure Jack Thompson getting shot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Am I the only one who enjoyed the characters in Dragon's Dogma? They're not like Witcher fleshed out or anything but there's a lot of background lore happening there

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't wait to get Dragon's Dogma. I need a big beefy RPG for the bus

I drained every last drop out of DD for PC but I'm thinking about getting it on God's Perfect Console.

Magic Archer is basically easy mode and I relied on it too much.
Gonna play it again for maximum climbing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heath posted:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the characters in Dragon's Dogma? They're not like Witcher fleshed out or anything but there's a lot of background lore happening there

The Jester is the bester

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heath posted:

Simpler times. :allears:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't thought about the ESRB since I was 12 and trying to convince my grandparents to buy me Perfect Dark.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I haven't thought about the ESRB since I was 12 and trying to convince my grandparents to buy me Perfect Dark.

The only time it ever really mattered in my entire life was when I was trying to buy MadWorld for the Wii, but because I was only like 16 at the time, the guy at GameStop refused to sell it to me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My mom took my copy of N64 Hexen because of the red pixels.

Still bitter about it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Xad posted:

The only time it ever really mattered in my entire life was when I was trying to buy MadWorld for the Wii, but because I was only like 16 at the time, the guy at GameStop refused to sell it to me

You should have thanked him to be honest.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You should have thanked him to be honest.

Hey I played the game later and enjoyed it, you can gently caress off with that poo poo :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey I paid full price for it and played it too, but it wasn't really that great and it's only remembered for the voice acting and the fact that it was one of a half dozen 'adult' games on the Wii :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xad posted:

To be fair, he could have been fired if he did sell it to you. They also had to point out that the game is rated M to parents buying them for their kids.

I used to be that guy. You could always tell the parents who didn't care. A lot of them didn't mind violence as long as there was no sex stuff, heaven forbid little Aiden saw a nipple.

I admit I did love it when I was able to change a parent's mind when the kid was trying to pull a fast one on their parent. Saint's Row 3 was particularly fun because I usually just had to say "purple baseball bat sized dildo."

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

The entire reason for the ESRB existing is because the games industry didn't want the government stepping in and creating overly harsh rules and ratings. They created the ESRB to show they were putting in the effort to stop children from playing GTA or Doom or whatever.

Seriously, if you wanna see what a government version of the ESRB could be like, look at Australia, where fallout 3 was banned for a time.

Mortal combat 9 was banned until the r18+ rating was introduced in Australia.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/05/a-look-back-at-some-of-the-games-australia-has-banned/

Hotline miami 2 is still banned there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Inzombiac posted:

My mom took my copy of N64 Hexen because of the red pixels.

Still bitter about it.

The only time my parents ever tried to care about the red pixels, they bought me Gears of War instead of Dead Rising for Xbox.

Yeah.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey I paid full price for it and played it too, but it wasn't really that great and it's only remembered for the voice acting and the fact that it was one of a half dozen 'adult' games on the Wii :colbert:

how did you not mention the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6vcsdd7LY

Detective No. 27 posted:

To be fair, he could have been fired if he did sell it to you. They also had to point out that the game is rated M to parents buying them for their kids.

I used to be that guy. You could always tell the parents who didn't care. A lot of them didn't mind violence as long as there was no sex stuff, heaven forbid little Aiden saw a nipple.

I admit I did love it when I was able to change a parent's mind when the kid was trying to pull a fast one on their parent. Saint's Row 3 was particularly fun because I usually just had to say "purple baseball bat sized dildo."

Oh, I'm aware that it was GameStop company policy to do that, but it's still dumb as hell because you know if they DIDN'T have that policy, some suburban mom would have a fit because "Timmy saw a blood". Let your kids play whatever, just don't forget to actually be a parent and tell them why murdering is maybe a bad idea.

Also lmao that you stopped some kid from getting Saint's Row 3 because there's a dildo bat in it, what kind of cop are you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Manhunt 2 was banned in Ireland so I had to import it from the UK.
it was poo poo :greenangel:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was trying to buy Conker and he asked me how old I was, I said "17. Wait no 18!" So then they made me show ID before I could buy it.

I was 19

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 10, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xad posted:

Oh, I'm aware that it was GameStop company policy to do that, but it's still dumb as hell because you know if they DIDN'T have that policy, some suburban mom would have a fit because "Timmy saw a blood". Let your kids play whatever, just don't forget to actually be a parent and tell them why murdering is maybe a bad idea.

Also lmao that you stopped some kid from getting Saint's Row 3 because there's a dildo bat in it, what kind of cop are you

I usually didn't care. But I remember this one vividly. The little poo poo said "what happened to bros before hoes?"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

I usually didn't care. But I remember this one vividly. The little poo poo said "what happened to bros before hoes?"

yeah okay checks out, I take back what I said

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MadWorld was awesome and I will not suffer indications of the contrary. The music was unbelievable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I was trying to buy Conker and he asked me how old I was, I said "17. Wait no 18!" So then they made me show ID before I could buy it.

I was 19

Man Conker blew my loving mind as a kid.

That game is so weird looking back on it, because it is very of its time. I do not think Conker would work today. It would end up feeling more like Sausage Party

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think comparing Skyrim to Dragon's Dogma is pretty disingenuous. They're very different types of games with different priorities. The only real link between the two is "Open world RPG'.

Dragon's Dogma's world is about 1/10 the size of Skyrim's, for example.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I think comparing Skyrim to Dragon's Dogma is pretty disingenuous. They're very different types of games with different priorities. The only real link between the two is "Open world RPG'.

Dragon's Dogma's world is about 1/10 the size of Skyrim's, for example.

Give me a dense world than a sparse open one anyday. It's why Yakuza's world is more fascinating than GTA maps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The world in Dragon's Dogma wasn't particularly dense, either

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Saints row on the switch. God drat it, I'm tempted.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Detective No. 27 posted:

Give me a dense world than a sparse open one anyday. It's why Yakuza's world is more fascinating than GTA maps.

This. Skyrim, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Metal Gear 5 have maps WAY bigger than they need to be.

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the few BIG MAPS games where a long travel is a pain in the rear end because that means effort instead of boredom.

And Zelda BotW could have been twice as large and still felt majestic as gently caress to traverse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah dragons Dogma is kind of empty.

While they don’t play anything like each other Skyrim and DD do share very similar flaws weirdly enough

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's probably a weird opinion to have but I actually liked Skyrim's map being relatively sparse. Walking from one city to another took time, and you weren't constantly being bombarded by scripted stuff around every corner. You could just admire the scenery and maybe take a detour off-road if you wanted to grind out a cave or something. It made it feel more impactful when you did find some random bit of action going on.

I actually had the opposite problem with RDR2. It felt like I couldn't go 30 seconds without some poo poo popping off, and then I felt like I was playing the game "wrong" and missing content if I ignored it in favor of my original destination.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And Zelda BotW could have been twice as large and still felt majestic as gently caress to traverse.

Yeah, BOTW has lots of 'empty' space but since most things are connected to a system and traversal is so smooth my brain is tricked into seeing it all as possibly meaningful. Nothing is JUST a static background asset, you can always properly climb it or do something with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This. Skyrim, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Metal Gear 5 have maps WAY bigger than they need to be.

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the few BIG MAPS games where a long travel is a pain in the rear end because that means effort instead of boredom.

I think BotW pulls it off by having koroks everywhere, so you get a small reward for exploring the environment where ever you go. It's not large enough that you feel like it's the reason you climbed a mountain, but it gives purpose to your being there and makes the world feel like the developers put care into it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I loved having all those Koroks there, I'm just glad Im not enough of a completionist to be driven crazy by them

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

THE loving MOON posted:

I loved having all those Koroks there, I'm just glad Im not enough of a completionist to be driven crazy by them

I will never stop loving that the reward for being a weirdo that collects them all is you're given a big shiny poo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I bet there's a discord full of people discussing optimizing their turdget runs somewhere

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
I found RD2s world to be really beautiful, in all the biomes, the snowy area being my favourite.
But it is true that Rockstar seemed frightened to drop the density of npc (be it animals or people) this is something I thought they pulled off better with RD1 actually.
I get though that for most people it would seem boring but I love my old spaghetti westerns and the long drawn out spaces of quite nothingness help develop a brilliant sense of atmosphere.

For me that would make the random npc encounters, when they do happen, all the more interesting. Rather than the "Hey there Mr, could yo.." BOOM! as you blow yet another tricksy bandit in disguise open for the 12th time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Have people already talked about Golf Peaks? It's a great golf game in the vein of Golf Story, in that it's not actually a golf game at all. It's a puzzle game where you're given a predetermined set of moves (putt 1 space, putt 2 spaces, chip 2 spaces and then roll one more), and have to figure out how to use them to navigate the environment (sand tiles stop and prevent rolling movement, hitting a water tile will reset you to the nearest tile) to get to the hole. Levels are small and (so far) not too complicated, so it's perfect for bite-sized Switch gaming.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This thread is just basically 'vindicate my terrible switch purchase' isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Checked Ebay to see the second hand value of a few games I wanna sell or swap (BotW, after 300 hours I'm safely done with it for a while, although I'll definitely want it back at some point to play master mode), and it kept forcing me into the app which was a pain in the arse until I saw it gave me a £10 voucher which I duly used to buy Tropical Freeze for £17. Can probably flip it for more than that when I'm done with it in a few months.

I'm gonna look for Wolfenstein or Mario Party when I trade in Zelda, although the latter necessitates a new set of joycon. So many games so little time