Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, I think one of Ken Whitman's early debacles was printing Traveller stuff he didn't have the rights to. Do other games have "bootleg editions?"

Chivalry & Sorcery. After a 3rd and 4th edition by two different companies, one of the original authors published his own revised edition of 1st edition C&S. Since he no longer owned the rights to C&S, this caused a conflict that was solved by letting the author republish C&S 1e as "The Red Book" (with all the Tolkien stuff removed).

Soon thereafter, the original revised C&S 1e started circulating again as an underground bootleg RPG with numerous additions made by a self-proclaimed fan group. For free, but very much violating the copyright on C&S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

Do people have problems with the way the book is written? Most of the complaints I remember are about him as a person, and amount to "he won't do this thing that would really be helpful for me even though doing it would be very easy."

I know he doesn’t plan to ever make PDFs of his books (they exist), but the way people talk about him makes it seem like he killed their dog.

Edit: And yeah the way people talk about it seems like people have a problem with how the book is written.

jakodee fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 10, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's a good example of Luke turning a basic mechanic into a TED Talk:

quote:

Shade
Every ability number in Burning Wheel is accompanied by a letter. This letter indicates the "level of potential," or shade of that ability. The letters, in turn, correspond to both a color and a number. B is black shade and means the player rolling for that ability needs 4s or better for successes. G is gray shade and needs 3s or better for successes. Grey shades indicate heroic potential. W is White shade and needs 2s or better. White shade is for supernatural potential.

Having a G or W shade ability is the only time the difficulty number for a roll varies from 4 (or B shade). Changing an ability's shade is discussed in the Character Burner and Artha sections of this book.

That's a lot of ink to say that the default difficulty is 4+, but heroic abilities succeed on 3+ (and supernatural abilities on a 2+.)

All the shade stuff is just extra. This letter is this shade, which means this word? That's not needed.

That segment comes immediately after he explains how he uses the word "exponent" to mean "dice" and not "exponent." Just call them "dice," you coward.

E: shade is actually one more level of complexity dumber than I said. It's "This letter is that shade, which indicates this word, which means that number."

moths fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If designers who do stuff like that took the effort they spent on "clever" names and phrasing and put it into clever design instead I bet their games would be better

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

jakodee posted:

I know he doesn’t plan to ever make PDFs of his books (they exist), but the way people talk about him makes it seem like he killed their dog.

Edit: And yeah the way people talk about it seems like people have a problem with how the book is written.

A lot of it has to do with the time he decided he would write all Kickstarter updates in the voice of a wizard, and would be extremely nasty and rude to people asking him to do things like 'clarify what he was saying about shipping dates because the wizard voice is not helpful.'

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

A lot of it has to do with the time he decided he would write all Kickstarter updates in the voice of a wizard, and would be extremely nasty and rude to people asking him to do things like 'clarify what he was saying about shipping dates because the wizard voice is not helpful.'

This x100. I really like Burning Wheel but this was so irritating, especially because people had serious questions

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

Don't forget "At the same time, had a conflict of interest because if you wanted to complain about how he was handling his kickstarter your complaints would go to some dude named Luke Crane who works for Kickstarter."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Yeah the kickstarter is here and one of the questions in the FAQ is "Hey can you just say in plain English what the book will have in it?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Motherfucker is allergic to brevity.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah the kickstarter is here and one of the questions in the FAQ is "Hey can you just say in plain English what the book will have in it?"

And he can't even answer that question like a normal person

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

I'm amused that the conversation moved onto Jenna Moran, because I was going to point to Chuubo's as an example of good Big Secret Reveals. Several quest-sequences have points where a Big Reveal is almost guaranteed to happen, but she doesn't know what they're going to be in advance of play any more than you do.

That said, I started with Chuubo's (with the draft, during the KS), moved backwards to Nobilis 3 and then bounced completely off of Nobilis 2. My problem with Nobilis is that I kind of despise everybody in Creation, although fractionally less than I despise everybody outside of Creation. Whereas I would willingly move to Town today if I could find a ship that would take my passport, and also if I actually existed. (TBH I have also transmuted into a Hitherby Dragons fan, so I may be an unreliable source.)

And that said, my only experience actually playing Chuubo's is a solo writing exercise that lasted a bit less than a full Book, and which was, in retrospect, a way of processing me being trans, several years before I came out to myself. I'm pretty sure that's the game working as intended, in fact.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

We're also gently but firmly encouraging her to write it such that Jo Q. Dungeongamer can parse and play successfully without feeling like they're wading through the toxic runoff of a whimsy factory, and I THINK we're succeeding?

Wait why are you trying to deny me my toxic whimsy runoff addiction

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Heliotrope posted:

His answer there is basically "if you can't put up with this then you probably aren't going to be able to understand the book."

Which, well, yes.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

moths posted:

That's a lot of ink to say that the default difficulty is 4+, but heroic abilities succeed on 3+ (and supernatural abilities on a 2+.)

All the shade stuff is just extra. This letter is this shade, which means this word? That's not needed.

That segment comes immediately after he explains how he uses the word "exponent" to mean "dice" and not "exponent." Just call them "dice," you coward.

E: shade is actually one more level of complexity dumber than I said. It's "This letter is that shade, which indicates this word, which means that number."

Except shade actually does have a number of mechanical interactions beyond difficulty, which can get extremely consequential, like weapons of a higher shade ignoring armor of a lower shade, and damage of an insufficiently high shade being incapable of harming things of a higher shade, etc. Advancing your abilities and items into higher shades is the ultimate form of advancement in the game.

Burning Wheel with all its bits and bobs fully engaged is complex, and it's impossible to learn the system without actually playing a lot of hours and reading the (thankfully now-restored) BWHQ forums, but the shade mechanics aren't exactly complicated: they're just clearly part of content you didn't read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They are complicated for no reason other than adding new terminology to feel novel.

'A +2 weapon overcomes +1 armor.'

He's effectively describing poo poo D&D handled 30 years ago.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

Burning Wheel with all its bits and bobs fully engaged is complex, and it's impossible to learn the system without actually playing a lot of hours and reading the (thankfully now-restored) BWHQ forums, but the shade mechanics aren't exactly complicated: they're just clearly part of content you didn't read.
So you're telling me to play this game, I don't have to read the book, or even the book plus some errata, I have to read the book like it's a frigging esoteric sutra, and also a web forum which actually disappeared for a while?

By contrast I was able to play in several Exalted 2e games, and while we did see the mechanical clunk of the system, it was like, able to work from the rulebooks. I think one of them used a printed out tick tracker but we could've done it with chips on a piece of paper.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Man, I don't know about you but while Burning Wheel is a bit of a challenge to get started with it does contain all the rules it needs to play. Sometimes you just gotta read the book.

It drat sure isn't for everyone, to be fair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kestral posted:

Burning Wheel with all its bits and bobs fully engaged is complex, and it's impossible to learn the system without actually playing a lot of hours and reading the (thankfully now-restored) BWHQ forums,

Liquid Communism posted:

He's effectively describing poo poo D&D handled 30 years ago.
I was going to say, Crane sometimes seems like he's on a mission to make his game as complicated as AD&D but in a totally different way.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Wait why are you trying to deny me my toxic whimsy runoff addiction

It'll still be there, but there will be footbridges over it, like those swamps with paths you can use to gawk at the egrets.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kestral posted:

Yeah I'm not saying the mechanic is complicated. I'm saying that write up is overwrought trash, and a pretty fair example of why Crane is a bad writer.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

moths posted:

Yeah I'm not saying the mechanic is complicated. I'm saying that write up is overwrought trash, and a pretty fair example of why Crane is a bad writer.

For twelve years you have been asking: Who is +1 Sword? This is +1 sword speaking...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

moths' rant is enhanced by the fact that, in Mouse Guard (and I believe BW), "coward" means failure.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

His answer there is basically "if you can't put up with this then you probably aren't going to be able to understand the book."

Which, well, yes.
is there a way I can go back in time and somehow back this book even less than I did, which is zero? because holy poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zurui posted:

moths' rant is enhanced by the fact that, in Mouse Guard (and I believe BW), "coward" means failure.
They're "cowards" in Mouse Guard, "traitors" in Burning Wheel, and "worms" in Burning Empires. For reasons. Wizard reasons!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Burning wheel's cool but it's fuckin weird when people light fuschia, which is to say have a lower alphanumeric value than g8, or in other words to tale the octopus between icecream and thursday, or as some might say pretend it's well written and easy to understand.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

is there a way I can go back in time and somehow back this book even less than I did, which is zero? because holy poo poo.

quote:

Lo, friend. Think of what you ask. If you and I cannot come to an accord here, through this simple medium, how will things go once we begin to summon the powers arcane? Think carefully on your decision then to support us here. It could be deleterious.

But do note from the text above: And it shall contain: the paths and ways of the Roden, Trolls and Great Wolves; an encyclopedia of traits and skills; an arcane library of magical ways; a libram of magic artifacts; and detailed commentary on nearly every aspect of the urtext itself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

Chivalry & Sorcery. After a 3rd and 4th edition by two different companies, one of the original authors published his own revised edition of 1st edition C&S. Since he no longer owned the rights to C&S, this caused a conflict that was solved by letting the author republish C&S 1e as "The Red Book" (with all the Tolkien stuff removed).

Soon thereafter, the original revised C&S 1e started circulating again as an underground bootleg RPG with numerous additions made by a self-proclaimed fan group. For free, but very much violating the copyright on C&S.

Scott Bizar is scum when it came to relinquishing rights to other authors' work.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I backed this book.

He made it very, very hard to do so.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

moths posted:

I mean I guess it’s overwrought but:
1-Shade is a useful concept to indicate that “heroic” or “supernatural” are tiers indicating more than just number.
2-I don’t really get why this drives people crazy?

Like this is such a minor gripe compared to the kind of absolute dreck that gets published in the major rpg space, that I can assume people pay attention to it because Luke Crane has managed to deeply, deeply aggravate a large number of people.

jakodee fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 11, 2019

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Zurui posted:

This was taken out in the second edition.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jakodee posted:

1-Shade is a useful concept to indicate that “heroic” or “supernatural” are tiers indicating more than just number.

Like this is such a minor gripe compared to the kind of absolute dreck that gets published in the major rpg space, that I can assume people pay attention to it because Luke Crane has managed to deeply, deeply aggravate a large number of people.

People can dislike more than one thing at a time, crazy I know.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

that is exactly why I want to have negative copies of this book.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zereth posted:

that is exactly why I want to have negative copies of this book.

quote:

Will you offer PDFs? Why no PDFs?

We do not offer PDFs of Burning Wheel books. We have tried, but the words mystic held therein cannot be contained in this shell of software. The files appear as blank, a slate that questions our very sanity.

I like how 'no PDFs ever!' is the place where the style is briefly comprehensible, and then back to budget wizard periphrasis. We know what really matters I guess!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

jakodee posted:

Because inventing a whole new lexicon to explain common tabletop concepts is both bad because it creates a bar to entry for players, and pointless extra work that could have instead been used in applying those concepts better.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also, even if you have to do that, why use "shade" (most people think of windows or darkness) and not "color"?

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Liquid Communism posted:

Because inventing a whole new lexicon to explain common tabletop concepts is both bad because it creates a bar to entry for players, and pointless extra work that could have instead been used in applying those concepts better.

I’m a proponent of creating new terms because of how often rpgs share concepts that are *almost* but not exactly the same, and using new terms helps avoid mixing up rules between different games. I also think that coming up with names for things isn’t a significant time sink, usually occurring while designing other parts of a game.

I do think that “shade” is kind of a baffling way to describe the mechanic attached to it and that Luke Cage seems to be a deeply annoying person.

jakodee fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 11, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jakodee posted:

I’m a proponent of creating new terms because of how often rpgs share concepts that are *almost* but not exactly the same, and using new terms helps avoid mixing up rules between different games.
dude came up with three different terms for the same thing in three games which are using the same basic dice system (and the thing is part of that dice system)

he is absolutely not doing this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jakodee posted:

I do think that “shade” is kind of a baffling way to describe the mechanic attached to it and that Luke Cage seems to be a deeply annoying person.

Hey! Get the gently caress out of Harlem, then!

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Zereth posted:

dude came up with three different terms for the same thing in three games which are using the same basic dice system (and the thing is part of that dice system)

he is absolutely not doing this

Oh? Then no, your right, he’s dunce.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the idea behind giving your own flavor to things, and Luke generally swaps for words that kind of convey the same meaning as whatever generic game term he's avoiding (except for the dice thing, seriously wtf). It is part of the adjustment period for Burning Wheel, unfortunately. Mouse Guard and Torchbearer are better about dialing that all back at least.

I do find the equal/opposite reactions to Jenna and Luke's writing styles in the thread to be honestly interesting to read through though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The thing about Luke Crane's writing is that, if executed properly, it could actually be more clear than standard RPG writing in the way that jakodee mentions: you can establish terms that naturally tie to concepts and use this to reinforce your mechanics. Ryuutama does this, to a certain degree. He's just absolutely committed to using the tone to obfuscate his meaning.