Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Ok, so here is the list:
- The Black Company, by Glen Cook
- The Dresden Files books, by Jim Butcher
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- Uprooted, by Naomi Novik
- The Craft Sequence Archives, bu Max Gladstone
- The Divine Cities Series, by Robert Jackson Bennett
- The Broken Earth Trilogy, by NK Jemisin
- The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu
- The Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson

Prior Lists and Recommendations:
- Russo, Ship of Fools
- Children of Time, Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Blindsight, Peter Watts
- Red Rising Trilogy, Pierce Brown
- Forever War, Joe Haldeman
- Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer [Non-fiction; Muder, History, Religion]
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- The Gameshouse, Claire North
- The First Fifteen Live of Harry August, Claire North (or whatever pseudonym she used)
- Old Man's War, John Scalzi (The rest of the series sucks)
- The Aubrey–Maturin series, Ptrick O'Brian
- Hull Zero Three, Greg Bear
- The Forge of God, Greg Bear
- Imperial Radch Series, Ann Leckie
- Hyperion, Dan Simmons (skip the sequels)
- Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I went back and searched out post histories, what of it.

Also, huge shout out to Nice Piece of Fish for the Three Body Problem recommendation, and RIP Mastershakeman for Sanderson's Stormlight Archives!

Cool post.

I think I'm reading you right that you collected your unread books list that have been recommended itt? If you liked the Three Body Problem and can stand sci-fi in general, I stand by my earlier comments about Blindsight being a solid sci-fi book. Shame it's a standalone book. Also Cixin's novella collection "The Wandering Earth" etc is ace.

If you're in the mood for old-timey nautical poo poo, I loved the The Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Broken Earth series, that's going to be lovely come easter. Easter at the cabin, which by the way looks like this:

I'll try and bring back pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The O'Brian novels also have a bunch of old-timey legal stuff in it. Which can be pretty wild. Dunni how period accurate it is, though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sullat posted:

The O'Brian novels also have a bunch of old-timey legal stuff in it. Which can be pretty wild. Dunni how period accurate it is, though.

Probably fairly accurate, given O'Brien's general stickler-ness for accuracy.

Also, if you enjoyed Aubrey-Maturin, Novik's Temeraire series is basically "what if Aubrey-Maturin, but with dragons."

(Also, Blindsight is technically not a standalone - there's Echopraxia, which is if not exactly a sequel, closely related.)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think I'm reading you right that you collected your unread books list that have been recommended itt?

Yeah, every recommendation from everyone that's been made so far.

And yes, Blindsight was fun!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kalman posted:

Also, if you enjoyed Aubrey-Maturin, Novik's Temeraire series is basically "what if Aubrey-Maturin, but with dragons."

(Also, Blindsight is technically not a standalone - there's Echopraxia, which is if not exactly a sequel, closely related.)

Also very good.

I heard Echopraxia was so bad it wasn't even worth it, what was your take on it?

blarzgh posted:

Very useful.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kalman posted:

And of you like O'Brien and Jim Butcher, there's Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass.

Don't forget Peter Watts' Rifters Trilogy (like Blindsight, also available free under a CC license)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

blarzgh posted:

And yes, Blindsight was fun!

You missed Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville.

Aubrey-Maturin is good, as is the Temeraire series. The Aubrey-Maturin / Temeraire and Horatio Hornblower / Honor Harrington comparisons make me laugh, though, just because David Weber writes like a teenager for teenagers.

City of Brass, by SA Chakraborty, is also good recent fantasy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Also very good.

I heard Echopraxia was so bad it wasn't even worth it, what was your take on it?

It wasn’t as good as Blindsight and the concepts Watts was exploring were less interesting and more opaque than the nature of consciousness issue from Blindsight. It also was a little less coherent of a narrative overall.

It was still worth a read IMO.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I'm honestly gonna grab a couple of these too to read once I get past my next few trials, I'll finally have some breathing room again.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Oh, I had a couple of good reads over Christmas break, too:

Circe, Madeline Mill (I've been a mythology nerd since I was 8, and this was great for that itch).
The Gone World, Tom Sweterlitsch
Severance, Ling Ma (cautious recommendation; I enjoyed but I can see it not being for everyone).

Oh, I read the first few books in the Culture series, by Iain Banks. I really liked The Player of Games.

Arcturas posted:

Aubrey-Maturin is good, as is the Temeraire series. The Aubrey-Maturin / Temeraire and Horatio Hornblower / Honor Harrington comparisons make me laugh, though, just because David Weber writes like a teenager for teenagers.

That's why I said I was low-key jonesing for Honor Harrington. Also there's that thing where the deeper you get into any author's fiction, the more likely they are to reveal their kink. That's why I stop rereading the Dune books when I finish God-Emperor.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 10, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm envious of you guys. The legal profession has killed both my free time to read and my love of reading.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Eminent Domain posted:

I'll finally have some breathing room again.

The most wonderful professional fairy tale.

When I was a second year attorney, I was in chambers with a grizzled old attorney and she told me: "Honey, it's impossible to get caught up in this job, I've been trying for 20 years."

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Roger_Mudd posted:

When I was a second year attorney, I was in chambers with a grizzled old attorney and she told me: "Honey, it's impossible to get caught up in this job, I've been trying for 20 years."

Yeah this is my experience as well. Everything is always on fire yet if you're organized nothing ever seems to burn down.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I'm envious of you guys. The legal profession has killed both my free time to read and my love of reading.

For me it's the opposite. After law school and a couple years ~in practice~, reading a nice, approachable novel is quite refreshing--a couple glasses of whiskey helps, of course.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

For me it's the opposite. After law school and a couple years ~in practice~, reading a nice, approachable novel is quite refreshing--a couple glasses of whiskey helps, of course.

Yeah makes sense, I always heard glasses help with reading.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Nah I think I'm done now, actually. Done all the lawyering I need to do forever. My phone hasn't rung for like, 30 minutes at least, I can probably retire now.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Vox Nihili posted:

It's not about want, it's about when.

It's hard to find time to read a novel while practicing because free time is so limited.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This one senior Argentine public defender I met gets 45 days paid vacation a year. Really makes you think.

Edit: of course the present currency crisis means thats essentially half paid days but still! 22.5 paid days of vacation!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I get 27 per year plus holidays and will max out over 30. Though my sick days and holidays are combined, but just don't get sick.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Incredible news for our august vocation!

Kim Kardashian Plans To Become Lawyer, Will Take Bar Exam In 2022

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/04/kim-kardashian-plans-to-become-lawyer-will-take-bar-exam-in-2022/

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Vox Nihili posted:

Incredible news for our august vocation!

Kim Kardashian Plans To Become Lawyer, Will Take Bar Exam In 2022

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/04/kim-kardashian-plans-to-become-lawyer-will-take-bar-exam-in-2022/

Didn't even realize you get a "100" on law-related tests other than the MBE, but maybe that's because I am a T10 snob.

Also i seem to recall taking civil procedure as a 1L, but again that might just be due to going to one of those fancy pants "ABA Accredited" schools.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kim Kardashian posted:

“First year of law school,” Kim says, “you have to cover three subjects: criminal law, torts, and contracts. To me, torts is the most confusing, contracts the most boring, and crim law I can do in my sleep. Took my first test, I got a 100. Super easy for me. The reading is what really gets me. It’s so time-consuming. The concepts I grasp in two seconds.”

Well she's already getting a 50 for the year because she's missing con law, property and civ pro.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah but she could do crim in her sleep, because it's just, like, so totally easy you guys.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Unamuno posted:

Didn't even realize you get a "100" on law-related tests other than the MBE, but maybe that's because I am a T10 snob.

Also i seem to recall taking civil procedure as a 1L, but again that might just be due to going to one of those fancy pants "ABA Accredited" schools.

From some googling, seems like one of the requirements of getting licensed through apprenticeship in California is a first year exam. Maybe it’s truncated or scored differently than the bar.

E: I know it’s a whim or publicity stunt or whatever but I’m oddly rooting for her. What’s the real daylight between a dude like Michael Cohen, and Kim Kardashian West. I feel confident the legal profession in America could not possibly be more debased than it already is.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 10, 2019

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The county had about 15 years where no one got any raises, so in a desperate bid to retain employees, the various departments started handing out time off like it was going out of style. For our court, people who have been there sixteen years or longer (top of the scale) get: 25 days vacation, 3 personal days, 12 sick days, plus 14 holidays. Plus I think... 10 vacation days rollover and like 30 sick days rollover. It's absurd.

Now, actually getting to TAKE that time is a different animal entirely. The administrator says "you need to take your time because I don't want to pay you out at the end of the year." The judge says "Where have you been all week?" after a 3-day holiday weekend.

So... mixed messages.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

disjoe posted:

Well she's already getting a 50 for the year because she's missing con law, property and civ pro.

Also crim pro. Crim law is easy, crim pro is hard.

Alaemon posted:

The county had about 15 years where no one got any raises, so in a desperate bid to retain employees, the various departments started handing out time off like it was going out of style. For our court, people who have been there sixteen years or longer (top of the scale) get: 25 days vacation, 3 personal days, 12 sick days, plus 14 holidays. Plus I think... 10 vacation days rollover and like 30 sick days rollover. It's absurd.

Now, actually getting to TAKE that time is a different animal entirely. The administrator says "you need to take your time because I don't want to pay you out at the end of the year." The judge says "Where have you been all week?" after a 3-day holiday weekend.

So... mixed messages.
My boss just spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and actively hassled me for not taking off enough time for when I go to Hong Kong this summer and is actively encouraging me to take May 2020 off when I go to Japan.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 11, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Whitlam posted:

Yeah but she could do crim in her sleep, because it's just, like, so totally easy you guys.

her dad was one of oj's defense attorneys so she might actually know all that stuff cold

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

nm posted:

Also crim pro. Crim law is easy, crim pro is hard.

My boss just spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and actively hassled me for not taking off enough time for when I go to Hong Kong this summer and is actively encouraging me to take May 2020 off when I go to Japan.

You took crim pro your first year? For us it was a 2L/3L elective.

Though I went to a T14 school (:smug:) and we didn’t have many people going into crim law.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

disjoe posted:

Though I went to a T14 school (:smug:) and we didn’t have many people going into crim law.

Vice-versa for us. We had crim pro in 1L and crim law was completely optional.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Watching an attorney go down in flames via various motions and show cause orders has been a sight to behold.

I almost started working for this guy last year. Bullet dodged.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

disjoe posted:

TTT here. We had crim pro mandatory in Fall 2L. Crim Law was Spring 1L.

I think. It’s been a decade.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Crim Pro was not required at my school.

Aside from the traditional core classes plus the two mandatory writing classes the only other classes that could be called "mandatory" were Evidence and Business Associations because they were pre-reqs for like 40% of the rest of the non-writing electives.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

I think yes, but I can't recall exactly.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Look Sir Droids posted:

TTT here. We had crim pro mandatory in Fall 2L. Crim Law was Spring 1L.

Same.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
At CU Crim pro is an elective and Crim Law was a spring 1L course.

Crim law loving sucked though

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Crim law was 1L at my school, crim pro in 2L along with evidence.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think ours was Crim Pro was mandatory, crim law was electtive? I took both. In retrospect, crim law professor was pretty clearly just padding out his resume while preparing to run for political office. Ended up only serving one term as state AG after making enemies with just about every politician in the state. Learned the hard way why being a big city lawyer in a small state doesn't mean you can step on everyone's toes.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Avenatti showcasing his Crim Pro skills in the indictment today. Lots of yikes stuff.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lote posted:

Avenatti showcasing his Crim Pro skills in the indictment today. Lots of yikes stuff.

Yeah, he is providing lots of material for a future legal ethics class.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sullat posted:

I think ours was Crim Pro was mandatory, crim law was electtive? I took both.

Ours was the other way - Crim Law mandatory, Crim Pro elective. I took both also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

sullat posted:

Yeah, he is providing lots of material for a future legal ethics class.

Someone please post some highlights tia