Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lori loughlin has acted in too many legal dramas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

in my mind i had her and felicity huffmans faces flip flopped with tier names the whole time.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i like that fitbit-for-work article because its just straight up that classic dystopian twist that is used sometimes about controlling people with kindness and people in the article are celebrating it as if its new and clever

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
All the healthy people volunteer private medical data for various discounts. This makes opting for privacy synonymous with "expensive".

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

lori loughlin has acted in too many legal dramas
Nah, she just assumed that she would be okay since rich people crimes don't get taken seriously normally.

She didn't understand that they would want to make an example of her since this has become an extremely high-profile case.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShadowHawk posted:

All the healthy people volunteer private medical data for various discounts. This makes opting for privacy synonymous with "expensive".

Yeah, I know of a few places that are "do this medical thing, tell us about it, and get gift cards"

Also, gently caress google so much:
https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1116005336559824897

The fact that Logan Paul still has an account is the tip of the iceberg here.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
look, they half-assedly issued maybe kind of an apology OK

if we don't let well to do suburban kids have lucrative media careers thats just being unfair

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

l
m
b
o

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

aunt becky no :ohdear:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

"Its not like we're holding a gun to their head... just they don't get the help they need for their autistic kid if they dont walk 2 miles a day."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, am i alone in my takeaway from the breathless reporting on the ~~college admissions fraud~~ being "huh, maybe we shouldn't place so much goddamn emphasis and value on ~~*~elite~*~~ colleges"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
LOL they weren’t even getting their kids into actual elite schools

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also, am i alone in my takeaway from the breathless reporting on the ~~college admissions fraud~~ being "huh, maybe we shouldn't place so much goddamn emphasis and value on ~~*~elite~*~~ colleges"

what's that take even supposed to be though?

most people don't bother to even try going to them, most people are quite aware that they aren't exactly the best places to actually do college, but you do get to hang around a bunch of rich kids and make connections. they're very much doing the role that the concept of "college" at all had for like our grandparents way back when.

the rabid insistence on going to them mostly comes from people with radically warped views of what their kid needs to do in the first place, so its not like there's a message to the public that is needed to dissuade those people. this is in large part why most people can sit back and go "lol good gently caress those tryhards"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they were trying to get into USC instead of ASU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

eschaton posted:

LOL they weren’t even getting their kids into actual elite schools

yeah the actual elite setup endowments and “legacy” admissions and just straight up buy a building or renovation and get their kids in that way. these people, while rich, are not even anywhere within that stratosphere of actual elite rich. they’re mostly buying their kids into upper class tier schools but by no means elite and not even prestigious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also its undergrad... shouldn't the bribes be for getting an ivy mba?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

that last quote is loving horrific

"we want to make sure mothers have healthy babies, because otherwise, they will be worried about their babies being stuck near death in the hospital while they are at work (they will still be at work of course)"

america is horrible and it both saddens and worries me that as a country it still holds so much influence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

abigserve posted:

that last quote is loving horrific

"we want to make sure mothers have healthy babies, because otherwise, they will be worried about their babies being stuck near death in the hospital while they are at work (they will still be at work of course)"

america is horrible and it both saddens and worries me that as a country it still holds so much influence

they're not monsters. they're implying that shes working from the icu

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nah I think abigserve is right. the idea that anyone would go on parental leave for any significant time is not even considered, they’re supposed to go right back to work. especially if the app proves the baby has no special circumstances

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember when elon musk berated a guy for not calling in to the conference call because he was attending the birth of his child

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Just don't have any kids and work yourself into an early grave. Man this big business thing is fuckin eaaasy boys

oh whoops I collapsed the economy, turns out people with no time and no money don't or can't buy anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is a good article about it

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/what-college-admissions-scandal-reveals/586468/

ultimately it's less about ~elite~ schools and more about plain old racism and classism

quote:

In the recent past—the past in which this generation of parents grew up—a white student from a professional-class or wealthy family who attended either a private high school or a public one in a prosperous school district was all but assured admission at a “good” college. It wasn’t necessarily going to be Harvard or Yale, but it certainly might be Bowdoin or Northwestern. That was the way the system worked. But today, there’s a squeeze on those kids. The very strong but not spectacular white student from a good high school is now trying to gain access to an ever-shrinking pool of available spots at the top places. He’s not the inherently attractive prospect he once was.

These parents—many of them avowed Trump haters—are furious that what once belonged to them has been taken away, and they are driven mad with the need to reclaim it for their children. The changed admissions landscape at the elite colleges is the aspect of American life that doesn’t feel right to them; it’s the lost thing, the arcadia that disappeared so slowly they didn’t even realize it was happening until it was gone. They can’t believe it—they truly can’t believe it—when they realize that even the colleges they had assumed would be their child’s back-up, emergency plan probably won’t accept them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

remember when elon musk berated a guy for not calling in to the conference call because he was attending the birth of his child

no but he should have called in and refused to mute himself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol yeah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/what-college-admissions-scandal-reveals/586468/

ultimately it's less about ~elite~ schools and more about plain old racism and classism

i can't find the article right now, but it was written by an interviewer for one of those fancy-pants east coast universities who lamented that he does nothing but interview a seemingly endless stream of zombie clone kids with perfect grades, more extra-curriculars than time realistically allows for and identical opinions when it comes to literature and current events. on the occasions when he finds an actual interesting, albeit blemished, person to recommend, he is frequently reminded from above to mind his place

that bit about how in the past it was fairly easy to get into good, if not great schools rings true too. only five or six years after i applied to schools a lot of the places we had considered safeties had become quite selective and i can only imagine that it's worse now. i wonder how many of the current living crop of alumni from ~elite~ schools would be able to get in now if they had to do it over again?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

i wonder how many of the current living crop of alumni from ~elite~ schools would be able to get in now if they had to do it over again?

p = 14.1√(50-t) where p = percentage chance of admission and t is years since graduation

50 may be conservative

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
p sure they meant if they happened to be 18 year olds graduating from high school today with the same credentials they had back then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

p = 14.1√(50-t) where p = percentage chance of admission and t is years since graduation

50 may be conservative

yeah i don't think this reflects the real stair-step curve of the known function

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Kantrowitz/status/1116113416865796096

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

haveblue posted:

no but he should have called in and refused to mute himself

top tier power move

one of my friends does IT for a major sports team and one of the coaches has a photo slideshow as his screensaver. it's mostly vacation photos but interspersed are some very graphic photos of the birth of one of his children. the screensaver also plays on the 60 inch tv on his office wall lol

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

who could have predicted this would happen

edit - although it is nice to know that they'll be able to target advertising for american flags more effectively (to people who call their alexa/children racial slurs)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

who didn't already know this was happening

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sending everything after you say “Alexa” to Amazon is literally the purpose of the device so why is anyone surprised it does that

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

neither Lori Louglin nor her husband even went to college, I doubt they have these rigid ideas about who gets to go to which tier of school

other parents involved might have that mindset, but honestly that reads like an unsubstantiated belief of the writer that they chose to slap on to a current event

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

sending everything after you say “Alexa” to Amazon is literally the purpose of the device so why is anyone surprised it does that

does the alexa app keep a recording of every command you give it for you to listen to like google home does?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 11, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dragon enthusiast posted:

p sure they meant if they happened to be 18 year olds graduating from high school today with the same credentials they had back then

100% cuz still rich lmao

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

El_Elegante posted:

neither Lori Louglin nor her husband even went to college, I doubt they have these rigid ideas about who gets to go to which tier of school

other parents involved might have that mindset, but honestly that reads like an unsubstantiated belief of the writer that they chose to slap on to a current event

I think this college admissions cheating scandal has struck such a nerve and continued to generate so much press because it’s basically the ultimate “gently caress you” to everyone who is buried in loans for the degree they got to reach a low-paying job in a crumbling industry. So basically every journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

does the alexa app keep a recording of every command you give it for you to listen to like google home does?

yes