Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

highme posted:

Have you combined these yet? Getting back into some Japow is pretty much all I think about, even though we pretty much got skunked on our last trip to Niseko. My goal for the next trip is to go the Car Danchi route & rent an RV and chase storms.
We spent the first two weeks of January 2017 in Appikogen and Hakuba!

We're thinking of maybe going in 2021 or 2022 to Niseko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's when I was last in Niseko, 2 weeks in Japan & only a couple of decent pow days. The first trip 2 years prior we were there for 8 days and 7 of those days had at least 20cm of new, and most were 40cm+. My sister & brother in law made it back again this last Christmas and after me saying "we really need to day trip to Rusutsu at least once" on both of our other trips they spent 3 or 4 days there this trip and did nothing but gloat. Fuckers.

highme fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 10, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

highme posted:

My culinary challenge on this trip will be finding food for my daughter who's mostly vegetarian, has a mild lactose intolerance, and somehow has become somewhat picky (but not in a "no sauce on my food" kind of way). Ramen & sushi are 2 of her favorites, but I don't remember many vegetarian ramen options on my past trips. According to some reviews, our hotel in Shinjuku has a decent bakery in the lobby, so I expect she'll fill up on bread in the morning at least.

Lactose intolerance is not an issue in Japan. I am lactose intolerant and I don't tell any staff when they ask for allergies.

That being said, why is your daughter vegetarian, and is it religion based?

highme
May 25, 2001

ntan1 posted:

That being said, why is your daughter vegetarian, and is it religion based?

Because she doesn't want to eat meat, and no.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty heavily lactose intolerant these days but I just carry a bunch of these in my bag: https://www.amazon.com/Lactaid-Lactose-Intolerance-single-dose-pouches/dp/B0009RF9K0
And I was good to go for my cheesy curry or my soft serve.

They kinda changed my life when I bought a box of them like two years ago because before that it was either not eat things I like or know that I'm going to suffer for it so make sure she knows these things exist.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My mother mostly eats grass so I really wonder what she’s gonna eat the whole trip.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She can just go to the supermarket and buy premade salads and whatever.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

highme posted:

Does she eat seafood? My wife and I are both in the same situation and found it surprisingly hard to find food without meat. You’d think there are wall to wall sushi places but not really and even then there are a lot of dishes that just have meat with them. Some places would leave the meat off some places wouldn’t. You’d have to ask each place. We did find some places that would leave off the pork from ramen but I’m quite sure the broth wasn’t vegetarian. But we both do it because we don’t want to eat animals and not because of religion so it was a little easier.

Oh and the vegetarian means on JAL suuuuuuuucked.

That’s one thing the US has is lots of veggie options.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We’re flying Air Canada in and out, and we’re also taking Jetstar out of Osaka to NRT because :effort:. I hope Air Canada is good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LyonsLions posted:

She can just go to the supermarket and buy premade salads and whatever.

Department store food basements can also work.

Though honestly just googling from vegetarian options works decently for restaurant suggestions.

highme
May 25, 2001

Re: the veggie stuff, we'll be fine, it is just going to be my biggest "challenge".

Pollyanna posted:

We’re flying Air Canada in and out, and we’re also taking Jetstar out of Osaka to NRT because :effort:. I hope Air Canada is good.

I flew Air Canada last trip and it was pleasant enough that I had no problem booking with them for this trip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I have nothing positive or negative to say about Air Canada. I paid them a reasonable amount of money and they got me to Japan in reasonable comfort, fed, and alive.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I shattered my collarbone at the end of my trip and got a free upgrade to first class on my Air Canada flight to Toronto. It was totally worth it for how chill everyone was and how much wine they kept giving me. Everyone thought I was some sort of professional athlete or journalist even when I tried insisting I was just a dumbass that fell down a mountain, so I went with it.

The majestic Japanese Red-Crowned Crane.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m bringing a CPAP on the trip (yes I’m fat I know) along with my iPhone and laptop, and it looks like Japan has different voltage than the US. Do I need to go whole hog and get a voltage converter, or will I be fine with just a 3-to-2 prong convertor?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

yeah but we came separately

thus as it ever is with caberham

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I’m bringing a CPAP on the trip (yes I’m fat I know) along with my iPhone and laptop, and it looks like Japan has different voltage than the US. Do I need to go whole hog and get a voltage converter, or will I be fine with just a 3-to-2 prong convertor?

Unless someone else tells you otherwise, you should be fine with just an adapter. Japan's outlets operate at 100V, while the US uses 120V, and the vast majority of appliances still work just fine at a difference that small, especially because Japan's voltage is lower than what an appliance bought in the US is expecting.

Going OVER is the dangerous thing you want to avoid, under is fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nice, then I’m all set.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I think I'm going to apply for Global Entry, since I'm thinking of taking more trips down the line even after the Japan trip. My mom lives in Taiwan too and I'm gonna try to get out there more often.

Any US goons have Global Entry and do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Pollyanna posted:

Check the "INPUT" specs on the power adapter/wall plug part, it probably handles both ranges of voltage. Most consumer electronics manufactured recently support 100-120 volts and 50-60 hertz so that only one type has to be manufactured and can be sold/used pretty much anywhere.

I'm not an electrician, but I think the main issue in this case if it is only expecting US power would be the difference in hertz, since that is how electronics keep time. If it changes, their internal clock can get out of sync. If the CPAP is supposed to activate on a set schedule and its timekeeping is distorted that might be a problem.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 10, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

arisu posted:

I think I'm going to apply for Global Entry, since I'm thinking of taking more trips down the line even after the Japan trip. My mom lives in Taiwan too and I'm gonna try to get out there more often.

Thanks!

yes, except for the renewal at the airport coming back this trip apparently taking 4 hours because CBP is incompetent. After like 20 minutes i was like gently caress this.

It's not really useful for immigration (since that doesnt happen often), but TSA Pre is the bomb. If you can get APEC to speed things up in Taiwan and Japan.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hargrimm posted:

Most consumer electronics manufactured recently support 100-120 volts and 50-60 hertz so that only one type has to be manufactured and can be sold/used pretty much anywhere.

Apart from, you know, most of the world

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Biz travel goons love global entry and APEC card is the bomb

You can fly into Haneda at late night and still have time for the last train

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

highme posted:

Work on her about dropping that while she's in Japan. Tell her the Japanese prize a balanced diet, and they harvest and handle meat with the same reverence for life, nature and kami as they do with vegetables. Or tell her the Emperor will be mad at her or whatever.

Failing that, this is the one ramen place I know of offhand where the broth is entirely fish based:
Sengyo Ramen Gonokami Suisan - 神田多町2-9-6, 田中ビル別館 1F - http://4sq.com/1cxJnPe

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Your daily mt fuji pic, taken through the blinds at the office just now

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

oh fine, I'll post my Fuji pic take from a Shinkansen.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
This place seems to serve up some nice vegan ramen if you need at least one other option:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ture_Kanto.html

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Forgot to mention that if you like curry, then CoCo Ichibanya now offers vegetarian curry.

Honestly, you'll be fine, but you'll just have to study the menu before you decide to go in a place.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

arisu posted:

Thanks!

It only sucks if you travel with people who don't have it. Obviously there's no benefit if you still have to wait afterward. I get it free from a credit card though, so why not? It really is a lot faster.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vegetarians will have a hard time eating clean in Japan. If in doubt, get Indian food.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Has anybody tried shojin ryori? I hear the flavors are simple to the point of blandness, but at least it's vegan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
anyone wanna go to the super gt race at suzuka on may 25 & 26?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Has anybody tried shojin ryori? I hear the flavors are simple to the point of blandness, but at least it's vegan

I have. It's good, but it'd get old pretty fast.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Nope sadly, a bit far for me, but I’m going to the Fuji round during Golden Week with my wife. Suzuka looks awesome and is apparently decently walkable (so friends who have gone to F1 there say) so enjoy, hope for good weather, and enjoy seeing random amateurs with thousands of dollars of photo gear. I’ve gone to the Fuji GW round twice and it’s a blast.

Also highme if your daughter is okay not eating meat but isn’t strict about animal products in food than you should be okay. If she is insisting on like ramen without fish broth or stricter vegan/vegetarian fare than it might be trickier. Also the Happy Cow website/app are good in Tokyo for finding more of the vegetarian/vegan-friendly options.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This is a place that specializes in tofu, they've got a few locations but I've only ever been to the Ginza one. Apparently they have a vegetarian menu you can request, but I never have so I don't know how it is. I would assume it's quite good though since there's very little meat in the regular menu. Anyhow, great food and atmosphere for a slightly more upscale meal.

https://foursquare.com/v/%E6%A2%85%E3%81%AE%E8%8A%B1/4b7d224af964a520c2af2fe3

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

My brother in law is part of a racing team but it’s super taikyu series, it’s not the same right ?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

thus as it ever is with caberham

When are you coming

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah just bring the regular 3 to 2 convertor, the voltage difference is super negligible (they ironed out the differences that were plaguing Japan in the 80s). I brought my CPAP and it was fine.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Forgot to mention that if you like curry, then CoCo Ichibanya now offers vegetarian curry.

Honestly, you'll be fine, but you'll just have to study the menu before you decide to go in a place.

A bit of a warning though: a friend of mine from the UK was in Tokyo a few weeks back and I told him about CoCo Ichibanya and he was thrilled until he found out that they use peanuts in some of their curries and he's allergic (luckily he just had a tiny taste and noticed it before it got bad). Just a heads up if anyone has a peanut allergy and wants curry.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I’m never going back to not having Global Entry (well, NEXUS for us Canadians). It’s too convenient.

highme posted:

my daughter who's mostly vegetarian... Ramen & sushi are 2 of her favorites

Sushi isn’t vegetarian though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

My brother in law is part of a racing team but it’s super taikyu series, it’s not the same right ?

super taikyu is endurance, the super gt weekends are sprint races and it includes formula 4, porsche carrera cup, and super gt. this weekend super gt is at okayama.

looks like there's a 24 hour enduro at fuji speedway may 31 through june 2. (24 hour endurance races are bonkers and a hella good time)