Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm half surprised they didn't drastically change his colors like they did with Giorno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pink Giorno has always been a thing in Araki's art and such. It's hard to say it's the primary or first appearance of coloured GioGio but it's always been a thing. Even looking at the super action statues, GioGio was pink on the first release and blue on second.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I kind of wish they had gone with blue Bruno if im being honest. i at least wanna see that universe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blue Bruno is for at the office
White Bruno is for on the town

Josuke 8 has some magnificent colour schemes though, he can rock them all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pink hair doppio also makes the act of him transforming look a tenth less loving stupid

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love how, in out modern context, Doppio is clearly just wearing the horny tits out anime sweater except sized for a man.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fake news

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Time Traveling Josuke fans btfo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On one hand, duh, obviously
On the other, I do love to see eejits get btfo.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Zeruel posted:

Time Traveling Josuke fans btfo

In what way? The theory is that he changed his mind after he wrote it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CJ posted:

How quickly after he wrote it? This was less than a year after that particular story was published, in fact right after Cheap Trick when Kira was already an established character and had even become Kosaku but the final battle was still a long ways ahead.

Regardless, if it had been relevant at some point, one would think he would have mentioned that instead of dismissing the question outright as if he never even considered it to be relevant.

I guess we're still talking about this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tiistai posted:

How quickly after he wrote it? This was less than a year after that particular story was published, in fact right after Cheap Trick when Kira was already an established character and had even become Kosaku but the final battle was still a long ways ahead.

Regardless, if it had been relevant at some point, one would think he would have mentioned that instead of dismissing the question outright as if he never even considered it to be relevant.

CJ’s a moron and will keep at it. No matter what araki said, he clearly meant for the guy who saved josuke to be josuke. Ignore the fact that the guy is wearing way different and much less flamboyant clothes than josuke ever wore in part 4’s run. He has the same hair as josuke, and only josuke could have that hair

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CJ posted:

can you not read? is that your gimmick? Illiteracy?

"I haven't organized it or anything"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

tiistai posted:

Yeah i don't fault him if he changed his mind, it's just a natural result of writing an ongoing story in weekly chunks over a number of years. Whether he intended it to be time travel or not that chapter ended up being a bit awkward in retrospect but that's natural in a serialised story over such a long period.

Expect My Mom posted:

can you not read? is that your gimmick? Illiteracy?

"I haven't organized it or anything"

The interview is from like a year after the Rohan chapter, so him saying that it was just a random guy isn't inconsistent with it being time travel when he wrote him but then changing his mind as the story progressed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why do you insist on pushing this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

somepartsareme posted:

i hate everything about requiem stands but polnareff discovering them by using his stand to reach for the arrow because it got wedged behind a wardrobe is one of the funniest things in jojo to me

Polnaref really is just the best

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Bringing up obvious plot hooks and then never using them is an Araki thing and in the end I can only imagine they're "plot hooks" because this genre has trained us to think that about anything hanging. I am reminded of the runaway girl in part 3 who mentioned her father a couple times, both of which ended up not having any consequence.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Just finished up with Phantom Blood and Battle Tendencies last night. All I can say is that was a hell of a rush with weaponizing a volcano while getting attack by piranha.

This show is dope as hell!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Congratulations, you've finished the prologue!
Now get ready for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to ~Really~ start.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CJ posted:

Yeah i don't fault him if he changed his mind, it's just a natural result of writing an ongoing story in weekly chunks over a number of years. Whether he intended it to be time travel or not that chapter ended up being a bit awkward in retrospect but that's natural in a serialised story over such a long period.

The interview is from like a year after the Rohan chapter, so him saying that it was just a random guy isn't inconsistent with it being time travel when he wrote him but then changing his mind as the story progressed.

You are a crazy person

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I think if Araki had changed his mind on time travel being the original idea he probably would have mentioned it by now considering what he's said about changing the idea of Fugo betraying the team.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Momomo posted:

Bringing up obvious plot hooks and then never using them is an Araki thing and in the end I can only imagine they're "plot hooks" because this genre has trained us to think that about anything hanging. I am reminded of the runaway girl in part 3 who mentioned her father a couple times, both of which ended up not having any consequence.

It's not just the genre, it's all storytelling. It's Chekhov's gun. It's just when you release a story piecemeal over a number of years you can't really go back and edit things to iron out the flaws.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CJ posted:

It's not just the genre, it's all storytelling. It's Chekhov's gun. It's just when you release a story piecemeal over a number of years you can't really go back and edit things to iron out the flaws.
I beg you to stop trying to cram every story into the same mold to
the detriment of any themes like you're in an English 103 class

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Like Araki killed off his title character less than a year into production, why do you think he follows All Storytelling

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And it was pretty drat obvious that the savior wasn't Josuke considering the lack of baubles and charms that Josuke normally has on his uniform. It wasn't just Araki changing his mind later out or forgetting, it's pretty loving blatant it was never meant to be Josuke when the chapter dropped.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

TheLoneStar posted:

And it was pretty drat obvious that the savior wasn't Josuke considering the lack of baubles and charms that Josuke normally has on his uniform. It wasn't just Araki changing his mind later out or forgetting, it's pretty loving blatant it was never meant to be Josuke when the chapter dropped.

If it's so blatant why are so many people confused about it? The reason this discussion keeps coming up is because people finish Part 4 then come and ask what was up with Josuke meeting his future self. The OVA director in the video thought it was Josuke. If Araki did intend it to be a random guy he did a pretty poor job signalling so.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
imo it's reasonable to suspect that it was supposed to be time travel while you're reading it given that it's jojos and that wouldn't be an uncommon trope. the weird part is continuing to insist that it was originally supposed to be time travel despite all evidence to the contrary and the fact that it never comes up again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

somepartsareme posted:

imo it's reasonable to suspect that it was supposed to be time travel while you're reading it given that it's jojos and that wouldn't be an uncommon trope. the weird part is continuing to insist that it was originally supposed to be time travel despite all evidence to the contrary and the fact that it never comes up again

The thing is, it wasn't a trope in Jojo's yet. People are coming to this theory based on a pattern that hadn't actually been established at the time because with the scans, people are reading the entire series at one time and applying future information to their readings of the behind the scenes process.

It's kinda like the opposite problem DBZ has where since the west had so much time between DBZ and a proper full wide release of the original Dragon Ball, people (and Toriyama) are under the impression that Toriyama forgot Launch as a character, but actually he basically wrote her out two weeks after her last appearance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJ posted:

If it's so blatant why are so many people confused about it?

because websites like tvtropes exist

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Considering that the flashback that would be the basis for the time travel theory was written two years before anything involving time travel was introduced this would require Araki to be both forgetful of plot points while also doing a strange amount of foreshadowing for something years down the line, which is pretty uncharacteristic of him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what other possible reason could there be for the guy that inspired Josuke’s hairstyle to have the same hairstyle as Josuke

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Momomo posted:

Obviously, that just proves her dad was Joseph and he's the one who went back in time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

because websites like tvtropes exist
Is Josuke really a Time Lord???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

overmind2000 posted:

Considering that the flashback that would be the basis for the time travel theory was written two years before anything involving time travel was introduced this would require Araki to be both forgetful of plot points while also doing a strange amount of foreshadowing for something years down the line, which is pretty uncharacteristic of him.

yeah i mean you'd think people would get this and realize how dumb it sounds but we can't have nice things

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why would anyone in this town full of kind, nice people with Golden Hearts help some random lady save her dying toddler? Clearly it has to be Josuke performing an act of rational self-interest.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i mean given what we saw with shigechi it would be more appropriate for the random stranger to talk about how gross the dying baby was and keep walking

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Huh, all this heavy snow sounds like a toddler crying."

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Yeah, it's been a while since i've read it but i'm not sure "Everyone in Morioh has golden hearts" was a theme. Most of the random civilians they met were assholes. Off the top of my head there was the woman who Kira killed who was using her boyfriend, the baby store owner who scammed a senile old man, the guy who catcalled Tomoko in the car, the bullies who killed an innocent turtle. As for the stand users they were all assholes except for Tonio, and he's an Italian immigrant.

EDIT: Kira's coworker seemed like a nice guy.

CJ fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 11, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
looking like a jojo is normal in the jojoverse. all the outlandish outfits are described as normal (jotaro has a "school uniform", passione members "try not to stand out", etc). the only reason background characters don't have their own jojo-esque outfits is because araki can't draw that many. I mean, there was a random rear end dude with jotaro's exact outfit and build in part 6 and this was just normal.

unknown stranger looks like a jojo because he's an Important Character. that and Josuke probably based more of his look on him than just the hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

guys what if

the pompadour stranger is
joe taro from vento wind but he used king crimson to go to morioh to save josuke?

this is possible because i don't understand the concept of writing a story retweet this

edit: some of you are saying the author said this isn't possible but what would he know, he only writes it there's an editor too and the editor might have intended this don't @ me