Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Voodoo man: "Someone brought me a rotting corpse. Oh look, she's hacking up maggots now. Mmm, I'm gonna get me a piece of that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing that annoys me is that we are well on our way through season 2 and it still feels like they are setting things up. There's no real conflict because Odin's team and Mr. World's team rarely ever interact with each other. Even when they do, nothing really happens. I'm watching it because there's something to watch but I have no idea what the point of this show is.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

counterfeitsaint posted:

Voodoo man: "Someone brought me a rotting corpse. Oh look, she's hacking up maggots now. Mmm, I'm gonna get me a piece of that."

Well why do you think he became a voodoo man in the first place?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

beanieson posted:

Well why do you think he became a voodoo man in the first place?

He's a death loa, that poo poo really rigor'd his mortis

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

counterfeitsaint posted:

Don't kink shame.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

McSpanky posted:

He's a death loa, that poo poo really rigor'd his mortis

Yep, he's this dude.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I remember the good old days when he was menacing James Bond.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol who made this gif? what did they use to make this? it's almost like there's a ghosting effect going on there

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lol who made this gif? what did they use to make this? it's almost like there's a ghosting effect going on there

I have no idea, just grabbed it from the gif search off discord and it's probably super old or something

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

That's the dithering to lessen the colors and it trying to compensate for it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And once you're done watching Live and Let Die know that every time you die in World of Warcraft Baron Samedi comes in and makes fun of you.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I choose to believe they at least made a token effort to get the rights for Live and Let Die to be playing for the bar's background theme to really drive it home.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I could see Fuller trying to get the rights to that song.

Now that I think of it the licensed music this season has been lacking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know that Guns and Roses had to pay an absurd amount of money to cover that song

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

One thing that annoys me is that we are well on our way through season 2 and it still feels like they are setting things up. There's no real conflict because Odin's team and Mr. World's team rarely ever interact with each other. Even when they do, nothing really happens. I'm watching it because there's something to watch but I have no idea what the point of this show is.

Mr world is a cackling villain sitting in his lair, shadow just sits around, dead wife is on another wild goose chase accomplishing nothing, and it seems like Wednesday is the only person with any agency or drive. the shows writers are insane

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought that episode was good :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

precision posted:

I actually thought that episode was good :shrug:

Yeah, I really disliked episode 3 but I've quite enjoyed the last two.

One thing I was confused by though, I was under the impression that Wednesday locked Laura into Argus' stronghold when he left her behind, but apparently he just left while she stood there saying,"Don't leave without me!" and then she just... walked out by herself?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it's like there's a [SCENE MISSING] there, not sure what the intended reading is

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Wednesday and the gods in general seem to enjoy just walking away from places and leaving ppl behind. Except for Sweeny of course, forced to slump it with the rest of us without his coin :(

loving dead wife

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There hasn't been enough kicking of brains out through the pelvis this season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does it seem like generally the people happy with the show are book readers? I know in my case, knowing that the over arching plot is a bit of a wet fart makes it easier for me to just enjoy the moment to moment spectacle.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a book reader, and I don't really give a gently caress about the overarching plot. The weird atmosphere and smaller stories are always what I've enjoyed about this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a book reader, and I don't really give a gently caress about the overarching plot. The weird atmosphere and smaller stories are always what I've enjoyed about this show.

Hell yeah. At least they made Sam Black Crow wayyyyyyy less cringey than she was in the book, though it was funny that they gave a visual nod to the fact she's a Slam Poet.

I also really enjoyed the scenes where Wednesday tries to seduce the Muslim guy, and the Sodom and Gomorrah bit was hilarious.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I read the book many years and ago but honestly the only thing I can remember about it was that I really hated the ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

I read the book many years and ago but honestly the only thing I can remember about it was that I really hated the ending.

I didn't hate it but it was very much "that's it? THAT'S IT???"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

I didn't hate it but it was very much "that's it? THAT'S IT???"
That's Neil Gaiman for you; Sandman is like that too for most people even though I like it since Hob is my favorite character in the book

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think most of his stuff has decent endings, especially Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Though I'm realizing right this moment that I can't recall how Neverwhere ends at all

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

I think most of his stuff has decent endings, especially Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Though I'm realizing right this moment that I can't recall how Neverwhere ends at all

iirc the villain is vanquished, the hero male protagonist is given his normal life back, discovers he's now bored with normal life, goes to live in the magical land.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 12, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Speaking of Neverwhere the BBC mini series is really good, and absolutely the best version of the story. It was cheaply made but had some great acting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gaiman and Stephenson both write terrible loving endings to otherwise competent to good works. Neil, Neal. Hmm are they brothers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gaiman and Stephenson both write terrible loving endings to otherwise competent to good works. Neil, Neal. Hmm are they brothers?

Stephenson has been getting better, The Baroque Cycle had a phenomenal last 100 pages and it ends just the right way. REAMDE is not his best novel but the ending is fine, despite the rather hilarious Magical Mountain Lion. But woof, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age had terrible endings, especially the latter where the novel literally just skips over a bunch of really cool events as if he was on deadline and told "finish it today"

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

precision posted:

Does it seem like generally the people happy with the show are book readers? I know in my case, knowing that the over arching plot is a bit of a wet fart makes it easier for me to just enjoy the moment to moment spectacle.

Haven't read the book but I'm super enjoying the show. The only episode I didn't care for so far was the last one, but even that had some good stuff. The Baron, Sweeney and Dead Wife, for example.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

precision posted:

Stephenson has been getting better, The Baroque Cycle had a phenomenal last 100 pages and it ends just the right way. REAMDE is not his best novel but the ending is fine, despite the rather hilarious Magical Mountain Lion. But woof, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age had terrible endings, especially the latter where the novel literally just skips over a bunch of really cool events as if he was on deadline and told "finish it today"

Hmm. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember Snow Crash having a great ending (might not have been the actual ending Hiro defeating the hacker guy and neutralizing Snow Crash with his advertisement), where as Seveneves and D.O.D.O, especially the latter, had terrible "endings" in that they literally just end without major resolutions having happened, or with new major conflicts having just been introduced. Baroque Cycle/Cryptonomicon probably have the best Steaphenson endings, where the stories don't necessarily end wrapped up in a bow, but still have a satisfying conclusion that leaves you still wanting more in a good way, and shows that the lives of the characters are going to continue and further things will happen, but we don't necessarily need to see those events. Hopefully F;oDiH reverses the trend of the most recent books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seveneves is such a maddening book, it has some good parts but also has hundreds of pages of boring poo poo and yeah the ending is terrible

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

precision posted:

Seveneves is such a maddening book, it has some good parts but also has hundreds of pages of boring poo poo and yeah the ending is terrible

SevenEves is a great first book and an unfinished sequel in 1 book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Luckily his new one sounds really good, fingers crossed

Oh and Anathem had a pretty drat great ending

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
What's wrong with sandman's ending?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So, that was the most solid episode of this new season so far, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I enjoyed it and I've been wondering what happened to Donar. Olde Tyme Tech Boy was interesting, I didn't think he was so old.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 15, 2019