Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prompt posted:

Sushi isn’t vegetarian though :confused:

Oh God, I was hoping this would fly under the radar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We live in Portland where almost anything can be found vegetarian or vegan. She will still eat some fish, but it's less and less. I don't intend to tell her to change her diet. We'll figure it out. It's not going to be a real problem.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

highme posted:

We live in Portland where almost anything can be found vegetarian or vegan. She will still eat some fish, but it's less and less. I don't intend to tell her to change her diet. We'll figure it out. It's not going to be a real problem.

If she's willing to have meat or fish-based broths and/or remove pieces of meat (like large pieces/slices, not necessarily ground meat) then she'll find it much easier. There is still plenty of ground meat, but it's also usually also pretty obvious.

"niku nuki" pronounced neekoo nookey means remove meat/without meat.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As a parent myself, I always hate hearing about people's vacations getting taken over by their kids' picky eating habits.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Vegetarianism isn't a "picky eating habit" my dude :jerkbag:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My sister in law used to be vegetarian and picking out restaurants to take her to when she visited was painful. We always managed to find something decent, but there were so many great places we couldn't go to. It's like visiting the Louvre with someone who won't look at oil paintings.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

QuasiQuack posted:

Vegetarianism isn't a "picky eating habit" my dude :jerkbag:

What would you call someone who wouldn't eat vegetables?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's not a picky eating habit it's a lifestyle choice my dude

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Stringent posted:

What would you call someone who wouldn't eat vegetables?

Yeah, because there's no difference between those two things at all

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

QuasiQuack posted:

Yeah, because there's no difference between those two things at all

Glad we agree!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I used to be a lacto ovo pescatarian but then cut that poo poo out because animals are tasty and seafood sucks. Also, pretty much nobody likes vegetarians except other vegetarians.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Counterpoint: seafood owns.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
seafood is really good. i've considered going pescatarian briefly, but then i remember that land meat also owns.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Counterpoint: we are not sea creatures so we should not eat sea food.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Mankind has conquered the land, the seas and the skies, we have carte blanche to eat all that poo poo. If there's anything to eat in space we gonna eat that too.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Gonna interrupt seafoodchat to try to fish for opinions again:

Reallycoolname posted:

On an unrelated note: I'm thinking of renting an electric bike to tour about Biei in Hokkaido for a day but I'm not familiar with the logistics of renting a bike or biking in Japan period - how feasible would this idea be? Also, would it be a bit ambitious to combine that with poking around Asahikawa for a day trip?

I'm looking to see the blue pond, the waterfall, patchwork no machi etc.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Biking is really common and easy throughout Japan, no idea about renting in Hokkaido, hth.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
unless you're in the Absolute Middle Of Nowhere there'll likely be a conveniently located place to rent bikes.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

I have. It's good, but it'd get old pretty fast.

yeah, Taiwanese buddhist food is seriously better.

Stringent posted:

As a parent myself, I always hate hearing about people's vacations getting taken over by their kids' picky eating habits.

That's why I asked if it was religious. If it were, I'd understand. But it's not.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ntan1 posted:

That's why I asked if it was religious. If it were, I'd understand. But it's not.
In fairness you can be vegetarian for ethical reasons that aren't tied to religion.

Here's a webpage with a list of things to watch out for in Japan for vegetarians: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/vegetarian-vegan-travel-japan/

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

This popped up on the feed a couple weeks back. Never been to any vegetarian places myself, so good luck!
https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2019/04/5-must-try-vegetarian-restaurants-tokyo/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

In like 10 years or so, for my sins, I know that at least one of my children will be livestreaming on Youtube every time they go out to eat, and will refuse to eat at a restaurant that serves meat because "It's off brand for me."

Stringent fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 11, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

super taikyu is endurance, the super gt weekends are sprint races and it includes formula 4, porsche carrera cup, and super gt. this weekend super gt is at okayama.

looks like there's a 24 hour enduro at fuji speedway may 31 through june 2. (24 hour endurance races are bonkers and a hella good time)

Ahh he's in Okayama right now, anyways let me find some pictures and post. oh and i will ask him about dates

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Yes but doesn't it avoid garlic and onions? Why live life without garlic and onions??!?!?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reallycoolname posted:

Gonna interrupt seafoodchat to try to fish for opinions again:

I probably wouldn’t do Asahikawa and Biei on the same day unless you are driving between them. If you are using public transport you will probably not have as much time as you want in one or the other.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LyonsLions posted:

I probably wouldn’t do Asahikawa and Biei on the same day unless you are driving between them. If you are using public transport you will probably not have as much time as you want in one or the other.

Agreed Hokkaido is totally suited for cars instead of trains

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

I think I'm going to apply for Global Entry, since I'm thinking of taking more trips down the line even after the Japan trip. My mom lives in Taiwan too and I'm gonna try to get out there more often.

Any US goons have Global Entry and do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Yes it's good, and you get TSA precheck with it. Note that they now have a thing where you don't have to go out of your way to an airport for the interview and can do "interview on arrival" the next time you enter the US. But if you live in a city with a big international airport you could just go do the interview at a convenient time. I don't, so I just did it on a trip back from Mexico.

When I came back from Japan last week, I went through customs in less than 7 minutes. Except my wife isn't a U.S. citizen so I had to wait like an hour for her. Hmm.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

Yes but doesn't it avoid garlic and onions? Why live life without garlic and onions??!?!?

All the Chinese buddhist vegetarian food I've eaten is A) very good and B) not afraid of those two things whatsoever. I dunno if Taiwan decided to mess this up tho!!!

Japan is probs the worst Asian country for vegetarians tho, dashi is in loving everything.

That said I went to a really good vegan place in kyoto goons recommended me. I also had vegetarian ramen at once place that was probably the garlicky-est thing I've ever eaten in my life (aka one of the best things).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, Kyoto is undoubtedly the best place in Japan for vegetarian in general, but vegan in particular.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

https://mumokuteki.com/cafe

here was the one goons recommended. was p good but it was like a weird Japanese cracker barrel where you had to go through a store to get to the restaurant.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My partner has been a pescatarian for like, 6+ years but is giving it up during our trip.

Tonkatsu overload here we come.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just eat hinomaru lunches the whole time.

My dad is paleo so he’s gonna have an even rougher time if he doesn’t put it on hold for the trip. My mom just doesn’t eat anything that isn’t either from Guatemala or resembles a soup or salad, so that will be fun too.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Tell your mom ramen is just a big bowl of soup

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

paleo is easy just skip rice and noods

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

and beer

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

let's not get crazy here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Magna Kaser posted:

lol

even more lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you’re going to be walking at least 6 miles a day, it doesn’t matter what you eat

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

you’re going to be walking at least 6 miles a day, it doesn’t matter what you eat

Well, it does if you skip carbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks everybody who have provided good info. I'm bookmarking that for future reference, and truly appreciate it.

The rest of y'all? Jesus gently caress, I'm sorry. I forgot how loving stupid goons can be about what other people decide to eat or not eat.

Johnny Truant posted:

My partner has been a pescatarian for like, 6+ years but is giving it up during our trip.

Tonkatsu overload here we come.

Before my first trip the only meat I ate was poultry & fish. I decided I wasn't going to restrict myself in Japan and don't regret it at all. I remembered that pork is loving delicious and that I don't really care for beef.

highme fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 11, 2019