Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CK3 should span 1836 - 1936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Chalks posted:

Stellaris is fine. It suffers from having a random galaxy rather than the more structured worlds of other paradox games which ironically makes every game a bit too similar IMO, but it's probably the best space strategy game I've ever played.

Yeah I've thought about this as well. It strikes me that the fixed world maps and nations in other Paradox games actually add a lot of flavour and dynamism. It's a bit unintuitive.

I think Stellaris also has the old problem of random generation which can make things feel a bit homogeneous. The game is strongest when it's being a grand strategy, and weakest when it carries over 4X mechanics for the sake of it (ship design comes to mind).

You can see the devs realised this was an issue with the space nomads, traders, fallen empires, endgame crisis, advanced AI starts etc. But these things just aren't as fleshed out as their equivalents. It's hard to imagine them putting the time in for a 'space HRE' style mechanics for particular empires or regions. Lack of geography is another issue. You never get the sense that certain regions of space are the equivalent of northern Italy, or Siberia, even though the planet layouts and anomalies sometimes produce richer and poorer areas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah as a sometimes very vocal and dumb video game complainer I just wanna echo I would never complain about one I don’t actually like. Quite the opposite. Screaming into the ether about paradox on a dead forum makes unfun things like working or riding the bus a little better.

Anyway, these talentless norwegian hacks have stolen thousands of hours of my life over the past decade and a half and I am loving disgusted with the current state of the Livonian Order in EU4

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alertrelic posted:

Yeah I've thought about this as well. It strikes me that the fixed world maps and nations in other Paradox games actually add a lot of flavour and dynamism. It's a bit unintuitive.

I think Stellaris also has the old problem of random generation which can make things feel a bit homogeneous. The game is strongest when it's being a grand strategy, and weakest when it carries over 4X mechanics for the sake of it (ship design comes to mind).

You can see the devs realised this was an issue with the space nomads, traders, fallen empires, endgame crisis, advanced AI starts etc. But these things just aren't as fleshed out as their equivalents. It's hard to imagine them putting the time in for a 'space HRE' style mechanics for particular empires or regions. Lack of geography is another issue. You never get the sense that certain regions of space are the equivalent of northern Italy, or Siberia, even though the planet layouts and anomalies sometimes produce richer and poorer areas.

Ultimately no matter who you start as in these games the goal is always very similar. The main variety comes from how you get there - starting as a member of the HRE is a very different journey from starting as a native american nation, for example, even if ultimately your goal is to be big technologically advanced nation in the end.

In Stellaris even with the variation in ethics and government types, the starting point is just too symmetrical. You start as a single planet with the goal of being big and strong, so you always go through the same explore/colonise/militarise gameplay loop.

I'm not sure there's anything they can really do about this other than something radical like letting players start as part of a fully populated galaxy. Stellaris is as close to a grand strategy in space as you can get IMO, but it will never really stand up to settings that are simply a more natural fit.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anyway, these talentless norwegian hacks

reported!!!!

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Stellaris is my most played paradox game. I'm absolutely addicted to it. It's completely different now with the new economy and give a lot more to do in the midgame. So if you haven't played since 2.2 came out I recommend trying it out again.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jeoh posted:

CK3 should span 1936 - 2036

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd honestly much rather have Paradox try different things like Stellaris on a regular basis then just make the Holy Roman Empire...IN SPACE!!!

Honestly, my lack of enthusiasm for Imperator is because it looks like more of the same game we've played before, with a Roman skin.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

these talentless norwegian hacks

oy vey

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, i dunno how you would ever turn it into a functional game, but a CK2/Vicky hybrid would be amazing.

You have a crew of nobles, generals, politicians, merchants, rabble-rousers, etc and instead of playing as say, House Habsburg or Austria you play as Austrian Monarchists or Czech Nationalists or Hungarian Communists or so on.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that would own. you only get control of government functions if a character who's part of your faction gets a direct command. The king just called the army on a strike, too bad the general leading that force is a crypto communist

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, i dunno how you would ever turn it into a functional game, but a CK2/Vicky hybrid would be amazing.

You have a crew of nobles, generals, politicians, merchants, rabble-rousers, etc and instead of playing as say, House Habsburg or Austria you play as Austrian Monarchists or Czech Nationalists or Hungarian Communists or so on.

Clearly the only correct way to play would be as Queen Victoria and go on a global quest to collect as many princes in your imperial harem as you can before the timer runs out.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Hidden Agenda but modern or Republic: The Revolution but good is a game niche that I feel sorely needs to be filled

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
A procedurally generated Parliament with a number of parties with different beliefs and goals: you play one politician whose job is to make as much money as possible before the system collapses under the weight of its own corruption and you are guillotined

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It'd be real neat to do more of a game about post-feudal substate entities, although it would be a real mess to figure out. The standard Paradox maps would become a less effective way of visualizing everything at once, and in general most substate entities don't really care much about foreign policy, it's all about domestic.

Guildencrantz posted:

the game is ridiculously easy at all times and can be functionally "beaten" fumbling blindly with the basic mechanics, never opening the toolbox with the interesting stuff.

Sigh.

Well that's basically the point of Frostpunk. A lot of similar mechanics, but also actual challenge (and potentially a kobayashi maru scenario).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dramicus posted:

Clearly the only correct way to play would be as Queen Victoria and go on a global quest to collect as many princes in your imperial harem as you can before the timer runs out.

Wiz is already making Vicky Dating Sim

Someone please get me a key for early access to Rome please for the love of Moloch I need it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Imperator's latest dev diary seems pertinent to this thread's army automation kerfluffle

here

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well that's basically the point of Frostpunk. A lot of similar mechanics, but also actual challenge (and potentially a kobayashi maru scenario).

Yeah, but then Frostpunk has the outlandish theme, arbitrary "did we cross the line" thing and fixed endgame ideologies. It's very good but didn't really click for me. All I want is literally Tropico with the numbers tweaked to be harder and force you to actually balance between happiness and rule by force.

Or just opened to modding.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Imperator's latest dev diary seems pertinent to this thread's army automation kerfluffle

here

Now add this to EU4 please.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That system really needs theatres though, I don't want my armies trying to march all the way across my empire to deal with some random rebels.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

That system really needs theatres though, I don't want my armies trying to march all the way across my empire to deal with some random rebels.

I had this exact same thought, but it doesn't have to be perfect to be a massive improvement over the current system. And it will be moddable, so hopefully you'll be able to do exactly that!

Seriously, huge thanks to paradox for adding this system. I'm probably going to buy Imperator now!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

It could be a toggle on the army, cycling through radius levels - 1 current province and the adjacent provinces only, 2 the provinces adjacent to those, 3 yet another layer of provinces, etc up to 4 or 5?

so you still have to station armies around your empire, and they won't stray too far from where you left them

(I have no idea how theaters work in HoI or whatever)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chalks posted:

Ultimately no matter who you start as in these games the goal is always very similar. The main variety comes from how you get there - starting as a member of the HRE is a very different journey from starting as a native american nation, for example, even if ultimately your goal is to be big technologically advanced nation in the end.

In Stellaris even with the variation in ethics and government types, the starting point is just too symmetrical. You start as a single planet with the goal of being big and strong, so you always go through the same explore/colonise/militarise gameplay loop.

I'm not sure there's anything they can really do about this other than something radical like letting players start as part of a fully populated galaxy. Stellaris is as close to a grand strategy in space as you can get IMO, but it will never really stand up to settings that are simply a more natural fit.

a lobby and scenario editor for stellaris are all i've ever wanted

let us build and share galaxies that have a sense of history and imbalanced starts

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

The armies you choose to automate and explicitly tell to suppress rebels? Presumably those Armies would go to the nearest rebel stack and so on down the list since that would be the lowest cost.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PittTheElder posted:

They already have this with you selecting states covered by armies doing automated rebel suppression in EU4, so I imagine it's perfectly feasible here too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Red Bones posted:

They already have this with you selecting states covered by armies doing automated rebel suppression in EU4, so I imagine it's perfectly feasible here too.

You can assign armies to a specific provincial governor which makes them I think have lower upkeep and they reduce revolt risk in that province but they won't leave the province.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Also want to chime in and say that the new optional unit automation sounds great in Imperator. Now whether it actually works is another thing, but the fact that they're starting to work towards that is good, even though I'm mostly fine moving my units around manually.

One thing that is very interesting to me about Imperator is the complete lack of unit cap. I can't think of another Paradox grand strategy game that doesn't have a unit cap in some way, supposedly the only cap is whether your economy can support the troops wages, which seems very loose.

CK2 has a very specific number of units you can actually raise, which can be supplemented by event troops and mercs. Vicky 2 all depends on your population of soldiers, you can't recruit more unless more people decide (or are persuaded) that they should be killing others. HOI4 has a finite pool of manpower that you can tap further and further into but will eventually run dry, possibly the hardest cap possible since mercs aren't a thing in that game.

It seems to be closest to EU4, which does have a softer cap than the others by sharply raising the army maintenance cost if you go over a specific number. I'm surprised a similar mechanic wasn't implemented here, maybe they'll put one in if they're attempting to calculate unit caps based on region/culture/development/whatever.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why pre emptively cap? If things have a construction cost and a maintenance cost then why not let the resources be the cap? That's a generalized question I have for every paradox game.

Or to put it another way that's really awesome news. One of my constant questions in Stellaris is why is there a fleet cap. I hadn't realized Imperator doesn't pre emptively cap army units to avoid any possible way that the player could get into a positive inflection curve, and I hope that becomes the prevalent ideology in Paradox games over time.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

I'd honestly much rather have Paradox try different things like Stellaris on a regular basis then just make the Holy Roman Empire...IN SPACE!!!

Honestly, my lack of enthusiasm for Imperator is because it looks like more of the same game we've played before, with a Roman skin.

I've got similar feelings, it's EU with a focus on the med and a lot of internal mechanics that I don't consider fun or interesting. As such I don't really care about it and keep playing HoI4 and EU4 until they make Victoria 3.
Fixing dumb mechanics like TCs in EU4 would get me more hyped than EU4:Rome Edition with more rebellions and internal politics.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Provided that it isn't possible to massively top up your army with mercenaries the low manpower recovery rate (30 years to recover all your manpower) should make an effective cap to how many troops you can actually effectively use at once anyway

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

This, it makes me realize how important the structured starts of EU4/CK2 are for replayability - Stellaris is too samey unless you invest your own meaning into having robots vs slaves vs peaceful happy citizens or whatever. Lots of flavour choices, fundamentally the same gameplay

The main problem with Stellaris is that a lot of choices the game seems to offer ultimately don't matter. Factions can be safely ignored because they are completely satisfied if you pursue the ideology that you set at the start of the game. Stability and subsequent rebellions don't matter because you have to purposely gently caress things up in your empire to actually have it lower than 50%. Economy barely matters, because you will never run out of anything except alloys. This means all the fancy decisions you make about how your empire looks like - if it's a totalitarian hellhole, or a benevolent utopia - are pure flavour. The only thing that matters is whom do you attack and the composition of your fleet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tahirovic posted:

I've got similar feelings, it's EU with a focus on the med and a lot of internal mechanics that I don't consider fun or interesting. As such I don't really care about it and keep playing HoI4 and EU4 until they make Victoria 3.
Fixing dumb mechanics like TCs in EU4 would get me more hyped than EU4:Rome Edition with more rebellions and internal politics.

It’s perfectly fine to not be hyped for it but complaining about internal politics being added?? The gently caress kind of take is this.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am not complaining that it's being added to Imperator, frankly I don't care since that title is simply not for me. And no I don't enjoy internal politics crap, the English monarchy in EU4 is bad enough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gantolandon posted:

The main problem with Stellaris is that a lot of choices the game seems to offer ultimately don't matter. Factions can be safely ignored because they are completely satisfied if you pursue the ideology that you set at the start of the game. Stability and subsequent rebellions don't matter because you have to purposely gently caress things up in your empire to actually have it lower than 50%. Economy barely matters, because you will never run out of anything except alloys. This means all the fancy decisions you make about how your empire looks like - if it's a totalitarian hellhole, or a benevolent utopia - are pure flavour. The only thing that matters is whom do you attack and the composition of your fleet.
lmao source your quotes dude

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao source your quotes dude

If you ever run out of Energy, Minerals, Food, or Consumer Goods and you're not deliberately trying to lose, I don't know what to say to you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gantolandon posted:

If you ever run out of Energy, Minerals, Food, or Consumer Goods and you're not deliberately trying to lose, I don't know what to say to you.
Sounds like you need to play on a harder difficulty bro.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like you need to play on a harder difficulty bro.

Difficulty doesn't actually change anything in your economy, just gives bonuses to the AI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gantolandon posted:

Difficulty doesn't actually change anything in your economy, just gives bonuses to the AI.
I'm aware of that. But you are playing on too easy a difficulty if you can just shape your economy as needed rather then being forced to make touch decisions on "hrrm I'm low on minerals and mineral income, but I need more alloys" or "that devouring swarm is ahead of me on tech but I'm low on CG income, so do I build the Research Labs anyway or just deal with being behind?". And yeah depending on the type of species/empire you built certain things will be less of a problem than others, but your choices do have an effect.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't really been following Imperator: Rome, but this LP that's just started does a really good job of laying out some of its mechanics.

He unpauses somewhere around the 21 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Krazyface posted:

I haven't really been following Imperator: Rome, but this LP that's just started does a really good job of laying out some of its mechanics.

He unpauses somewhere around the 21 minute mark.

Ok from the few minutes I've seen, it looks like this is extremely my jam. EU4 marries CK2. It remains to see how much the CK2 "roleplaying" part with families, traits etc is developed, but even if it's kinda barebones at the start, you can bet that there will be a DLC dedicated to it.

Can't wait for the 25th :D