Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zahkri posted:

The PV is out for Vinland Saga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

Not sure how janky the CG is going to be but it looks promising so far

It's looks generic.

e: like CG is mostly a non-issue when there doesn't seem to be any interesting use of animation, colour, or lighting.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Zahkri posted:

The PV is out for Vinland Saga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

Not sure how janky the CG is going to be but it looks promising so far

Looks good to me. Now we just need to see if they handled the fight animation well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The problem I always have with shows that mix 2D and 3D animation is how obvious the transitions look. Thorkell running and attacking the mast just really sticks out even if you discount the textures on his model. His colors look a lot more flat even if the scene is happening on a cloudy night. And the guys he cut just aren't moving in any area, not even their clothes in the wind. Granted 2D animation can also have this problem.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looks good to me, I’m just glad it’s not full Cg.

Askeladd is looking a bit too friendly, but hopefully his face grows narrower and crueler as it moves towards the end of his arc...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kaoru Mori had a couple chapters for this month instead of a Bride's Tale chapter. One got translated and it's set back in England with a lovely woman inheriting her rich relatives house, and the maid who works there.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/547595/1
Short and sweet, there is also an Emma chapter that will hopefully be translated in the future.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Jin, the proto-isekai starring a brain surgeon sent to the Edo period, had fallen off my radar but the author had apparently been uploading official translations on a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami

He's something like 40-50 chapters ahead of where the scanlations left and maintaining a pretty reliable schedule!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

archduke.iago posted:

Jin, the proto-isekai starring a brain surgeon sent to the Edo period, had fallen off my radar but the author had apparently been uploading official translations on a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami

He's something like 40-50 chapters ahead of where the scanlations left and maintaining a pretty reliable schedule!

That's a really interesting business model. I wonder how popular a series needs to be in the English-speaking world to be worth translating through Patreon proceeds.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

That's a really interesting business model. I wonder how popular a series needs to be in the English-speaking world to be worth translating through Patreon proceeds.

Guy is already making 500 USD a month, so it's worth something at least. Jin was pretty popular on kissmanga but IDK what sorta numbers that represents.

I'm curious what getting that money directly (presumably with a cut of it going to whomever is translating it) means to a creator versus an official license. Like, does that even translate to an increase in income. Maybe a bonus?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
500 bucks a month sounds like an OK deal for something you already did the work for. Get a translator and letterer on the hook (bonus if they're the same guy) and boom. Self publishing digitally has to cut out a lot of the usual red tape and expenses.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
that's a really cool model, i hope it catches on. scanlations can be hit and miss and while they're usually pretty good since they're a labor of love i'm sure a translator working directly with the original creator would be able to do the best job accurately conveying things in english.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

that's a really cool model, i hope it catches on. scanlations can be hit and miss and while they're usually pretty good since they're a labor of love i'm sure a translator working directly with the original creator would be able to do the best job accurately conveying things in english.
I remember the mangaka for 'Flower Knight Dakini' was able to crowd fund his story and get English translations as well which was equally as niche a series so it's good these guys are able to generate enough attention to make their goals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh really, I saw like two chapters of that, that's the one that's about pretty interestingly-styled furry characters, right? It was a fantastic setting if I remember right. There was a fight with gigantic beetles and stuff, and the art was rough but good. Do you have a link to the officially translated stuff? I'd definitely support further releases of it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Jin is really really good and I'm tempted to pay the $5.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
Anyone who read the Light Novel know what was in the bags?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
Anyone who read the Light Novel know what was in the bags?

Dildos to practice the stuff they learned.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, that seemed pretty clear from context, this entire chapter has been a giant sex joke.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks, I saw the hand gestures but thought there was something more to it than that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thorfinn is incredibly stupid.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

At least this arc is finally over.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/571746/1

I thought it was good. :unsmith:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it’s a shame it looks like baldr won’t be joining the crew. he was fun

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:unsmith: baldur’s fishing adventures should be pretty good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That'll teach the Jomsviking to make someone who clearly doesn't want the job into their leader.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Up against the Jarl of Jutland, The Emperor of the North Sea, and their own chief the jomsvikings pretty much have no option but to obey so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Plutonis posted:

This, but you instead of thorfinn

The jomsvikings owned themselves spectacularly. They reap what they have sown. That they get new employment options or a severance package plus any loot they can carry with them and go home is pretty goddamn generous

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The problem is that a bunch of dudes who love to raid, loot and fight aren't gonna just take the money home and become family men. The ones who don't join Canute's army will definitely form smaller raiding parties and start wreaking havoc on the baltics or something. He honestly should have had Thorkell impress all of them to Canute's service instead of going "yeah well not my problem anymore".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hell what's stopping them from taking Baldr's boat and taking the silver after killing him and the old man?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Plutonis posted:

.He honestly should have had Thorkell impress all of them to Canute's service instead of going "yeah well not my problem anymore".

I think forcing people to do something would go against his new philosophy of life, so he gave them a choice.

And even if some of them organize to pillage, he can’t be responsible for every viking, giving an option to start a new life is all he can do.

Dismantling the Jomsvikings is a huge thing too, even if some of them create new pillage groups, none would be as destructive as the joms.

His father would be proud :unsmith:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 28, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Hell what's stopping them from taking Baldr's boat and taking the silver after killing him and the old man?

The fact that he left already and chasing after him is going to be complicated by the fact that everyone's going to be busy with disassembling the Jomsvikings under the watchful eye of Thorkell, maybe?

Cnut's claimed his goal is making a heaven that could be wide enough for vikings. Sending the Joms to him seems about as much as Thorfinn could be expected to do.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It’ll be interesting if thorfinn successfully made them burn all their weapons too. I wonder if he’s gonna have a badass fistfight so they stop hiding knives.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the whole garm thing is still a dangling thread

i do think the only reason thorfinn's choice might work here is that loki probably already killed off anyone who had a hope of holding together a significant amount of the jomsvikings

and i can't remember, did we get any payoff to thorfinn's whole urge to take vengeance when he was told loki gave the orders to off his dad?

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

and i can't remember, did we get any payoff to thorfinn's whole urge to take vengeance when he was told loki gave the orders to off his dad?

Yes, Thorfinn comes close to killing Floki but he witneses Baldur's love for his grandfather and then breaks his sword over his knee.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. God drat, vinland saga is so good

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Not a bad way to resolve the issue, however poor Thorkell will suffer under the yoke of peace once more.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Lobster posted:

Not a bad way to resolve the issue, however poor Thorkell will suffer under the yoke of peace once more.

He's still got Floki's pet gorilla man to play with.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the whole garm thing is still a dangling thread

i do think the only reason thorfinn's choice might work here is that loki probably already killed off anyone who had a hope of holding together a significant amount of the jomsvikings

Yeah, we got it this chapter, when he had the chance to have him executed and didn't do it. Thorfinn stuck to his principles, even when he had the perfect opportunity to have revenge.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Begemot posted:

Yeah, we got it this chapter, when he had the chance to have him executed and didn't do it. Thorfinn stuck to his principles, even when he had the perfect opportunity to have revenge.

sure, but it wasn't an agonizing decision so i figured i had forgotten the moment of catharsis where thorfinn got over his impulse. and i had

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Another chapter of Otoyomegatari, with some gorgeous hair.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Breadmaster posted:

Another chapter of Otoyomegatari, with some gorgeous hair.

She whips her hair back and forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dude's a lucky bastard