Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:jerkbag:

Yes, TLJ had a drop from TFA, but it was about 300 million, not 700. You wanna be grumpy about the movie? Sure that's fine, no one has to like any film, but come on now.

300M US, 700M worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slutitution posted:

It had a $700 million drop from TFA, which is insane. Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores. Meanwhile, each successive Marvel movie keeps making more and more money each time. But keep dying on that TLJ hill, I guess.

... This is a remarkably dumb argument for a number of reasons.

A) "Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores" means what? Because it has a cinemascore of A. If you're going to refer to user-votes then you have to acknowledge the angry-voting campaign by certain groups of assholes which makes the argument *skewed.* If you want a similar example look at Captain Marvel which has rock-bottom user rankings. It wasn't because everyone hated Captain Marvel.

B) The Marvel movies haven't made more money successively. Most (but not all) sequels outdo their predecessors but there are reasons for that. One is the universe becoming more and more popular. Another is relative hype, which is important to discuss when it comes to Star Wars. The Force Awakens was the first entry in the long-awaited sequel Trilogy, the first new Star Wars film in a decade, and had a massive hype train behind it. It didn't succeed entirely based off that but it was a major contributor.

C) You know what other films did more poorly than their predecessor? The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. In fact no Star Wars film has had the first film NOT be the most successful in the trilogy. That is largely because the marketing/hype machine is strongest for the first films. The original Star Wars was a huge breakout success, The Phantom Menace was considered a must-see huge event, and so was The Force Awakens. That doesn't necessarily mean they're the best films in their respective franchises. Hell, a good number of people will call Empire their favorite despite the fact that it has never beaten the original ever.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to tap into the numbers that "Oh boy, Star Wars is BACK" brought when all one can now offer is "oh, star wars is back"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Slutitution posted:

It had a $700 million drop from TFA, which is insane. Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores. Meanwhile, each successive Marvel movie keeps making more and more money each time. But keep dying on that TLJ hill, I guess.

This is a really stupid lie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
And I imagine that this new film will make more than TLJ too, because, despite the fact that we all know loving better, Disney is going to market it as the END of the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mameluke posted:

It's hard to tap into the numbers that "Oh boy, Star Wars is BACK" brought when all one can now offer is "oh, star wars is back"

It's also worth noting that TLJ is still outperformed the Star Wars film released the year before. There are a lot of things that play into that but if you're going to argue about "Rogue One isn't a numbered sequel" or whatever then it's worth acknowledging that means hype can play a significant factor in a movie's success because otherwise there's no meaningful difference between TLJ and RO. (And likewise maybe having a Star Wars film every single year makes it hard to push the same level of infinite hype wars.)

God knows Endgame is going to make a majgillion dollars before anyone has even seen it. It could be by far the worst Marvel film and it will still kick the everliving poo poo out of 90% of movies ever made. I'm also betting Finn's Day OUt will make more than TLJ because it will be "the end of the story" and whatever. Despite the general ennui a lot of this subforum has towards Star Wars (myself included!) most people here are going to see the new film on the first weekend if not the first day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Of course i’m going to be there opening night at the Harkins IMAX in Tempe.

That place always gives out fantastic posters for the first showing on opening night, and it’s the only full sized IMAX screen in the whole state.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:jerkbag:

Yes, TLJ had a drop from TFA, but it was about 300 million, not 700. You wanna be grumpy about the movie? Sure that's fine, no one has to like any film, but come on now.

TLJ had pretty much the same amount of dropoff as every other part II in each set of Star Wars trilogies. The idea that it was “a failure that everyone hated” is loving ridiculous.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the argument that's like 'duhhh the movie made money how can you say people didn't like it' is bizarre

like yes friend, people have to pay money to see the movie before they know whether or not they'll dislike it

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the argument that's like 'duhhh the movie made money how can you say people didn't like it' is bizarre

nobody here seems to be making that argument though so not sure why you'd bring it up

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

like yes friend, people have to pay money to see the movie before they know whether or not they'll dislike it

Yeah, if anyone was saying that it would be weird.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll never for the life of me understand why people will defend movies and get all butt hurt about box office totals. Right now, at this exact moment, our planet is literally dying, there's real poo poo to worry about, but people have to run up a hill to defend the bottom lines of media conglomerates that don't give one rats rear end about you. Bob Iger doesn't check twitter to see how your performance review went at work or if you got that bonus. It truly does not matter. I can't fathom getting pissed because someone dares besmirch a multi-national conglomerate that I've chosen identify with, especially one founded by an actual racist, that that has done tremendous harm to our culture and repressed nearly a century of artistic expression and knowledge through strong armed copyright lobbying.

I just don't get it. But here I am posting in a star wars thread, jokes on me I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'll never for the life of me understand why people will defend movies and get all butt hurt about box office totals. Right now, at this exact moment, our planet is literally dying, there's real poo poo to worry about, but people have to run up a hill to defend the bottom lines of media conglomerates that don't give one rats rear end about you. Bob Iger doesn't check twitter to see how your performance review went at work or if you got that bonus. It truly does not matter. I can't fathom getting pissed because someone dares besmirch a multi-national conglomerate that I've chosen identify with, especially one founded by an actual racist, that that has done tremendous harm to our culture and repressed nearly a century of artistic expression and knowledge through strong armed copyright lobbying.

I just don't get it. But here I am posting in a star wars thread, jokes on me I guess.

I think you've drastically misunderstood the conversation going on.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If you think about it Star Wars doesn't matter because it's all happening in a galaxy far far away.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

source your quotes

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not to say people couldn't have disliked it. Clearly there are people who don't like Last Jedi, but it's also silly to say that because it made less than the previous film ( a common trend in trilogy style franchises) that it was hated and no one liked it. People did actually like Last Jedi, just there was a lot more vocalization about liking vs. not liking it than there had been during Force Awakens release.

Last Jedi is a movie I like immensely, but it also gives me a headache because people are so stupid about it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Movies have a lot of politics behind them now, not just because of the left and the now vocal right, but because a literal monopoly is happening.

I wouldn't normally care personally if there wasn't a legitimate risk of one of my favorite pastimes being ruined because of hegemony.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movies have always had politics. The prequels are pretty drat political, even. “This is how liberty dies...” scene springs to mind.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Movies have always had politics. The prequels are pretty drat political, even. “This is how liberty dies...” scene springs to mind.

It's not about the politics in the movie itself, it's that society is at one of its cyclical boiling points now in the West that people are diametrically opposed on. Movie review and opinions are more based on bad faith arguments based on those "sides" than the movies themselves in a lot of cases. A lot of movie arguments now are almost entirely based on identity politics.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Darko posted:

It's not about the politics in the movie itself, it's that society is at one of its cyclical boiling points now in the West that people are diametrically opposed on. Movie review and opinions are more based on bad faith arguments based on those "sides" than the movies themselves in a lot of cases. A lot of movie arguments now are almost entirely based on identity politics.

I was very disappointed coming out of the theater and I promise you it had nothing to do with identity politics and everything to do with the whole movie seeming like the creators didn't have any respect for the characters or the universe Lucas had created.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

I was very disappointed coming out of the theater and I promise you it had nothing to do with identity politics and everything to do with the whole movie seeming like the creators didn't have any respect for the characters or the universe Lucas had created.

That's why I didn't say it was universal. I thought Black Panther was horridly mediocre and had terrible politics, but that doesn't mean that there weren't a lot of other people who hated on it because SJWs. Similarly, a lot of people I know personally like it strictly because it portrays black people so positively, while downing other comic movies that are practically the same film because they don't have that representation.That's the problem with modern Internet criticism; lots of things are now way amplified based on personal angles that have nothing to do with the film itself and you never know who is latching on to what criticism in good faith or not. This always existed; but is magnified now by widening dichotomies.

I was super disappointed coming out of the theater, but liked it a lot more on second viewing from a different angle, personally (even though the middle still draaaaaaggggs to me). But those kind of opinions never float to the top online now either, since it's now either best ever or worst ever that gets noticed.

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 11, 2019

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

That also infects the creative process of the movies themselves. A good example is Admiral Holdo. In the book she was this eccentric inventor who was made an admiral basically by accident but she made the best of it by coming up with unorthodox solutions to problems. She would change the color of her hair all the time as part of her overall scatterbrained capriciousness. Just a really interesting character.

Then for the movie they saw the character and all they thought was "hm... I guess she has colored hair... and I recently saw an epic Ben Shapiro youtube video where someone with colored hair was scolding a man... so yeah she be someone like that. whatever." Then the fans who see it, depending on their own side, go "well I guess I should cheer/jeer this because of the signifiers."

At no point is there any consideration of an actual meaningful political idea or how to convey it. It's just everyone doing a hideous unthinking Kabuki

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

No, audience opinion you've decided to pay attention to has been mostly negative.

So you're saying that the negativity for the movie was greater because... people decided to listen too it? Or maybe it being poo poo on everywhere was because it was just a bad film a lot of people didn't like?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

cargohills posted:

looks like it's time for 20 pages of the most annoying discussion ever, again

How did you know this would happen? :aaa: Do you maybe have some lottery numbers you could share?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

None of these are spoilers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Republican Party has the support of maybe 30% of the people, but controls all three branches of the federal government and most state governments because our electoral system is massively rigged. So I agree, we have millions of people with a lot of misdirected energy, having these political arguments about and within cultural products because real political struggle is a non-starter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Sir, this is an Arbys drive through.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I said come in! posted:

Sir, this is an Arbys drive through.

Can I get a Jawa Juice?

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Dunno where this come from but yes gently caress Disney

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

How did you know this would happen? :aaa: Do you maybe have some lottery numbers you could share?

i have the remarkable, almost supernatural ability to remember things that happened in the past and use these memories to shape my expectations for the future

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sounds like woo.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

cargohills posted:

i have the remarkable, almost supernatural ability to remember things that happened in the past and use these memories to shape my expectations for the future
somebody check this guy's midichlorian count

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Martman posted:

somebody check this guy's midichlorian count

It would appear it's even higher than Master Yoda's.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1116377831393468416

Kroll is a Variety reporter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars Episode 9: A New, New Hope

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Snoke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

thrawn527 posted:

Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Snoke.

(Return of the Snoke) once again
(Return of the Snoke) pump up the world
(Return of the Snoke) watch my flow
(You know that I'll be back) here I go

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars: I Hope They Reveal Rey's Parents!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The next trilogy saga is rebranded as the Hope Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's gonna be poetry like A Last Hope.