Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rirse posted:

He compared Gau to Spiderman. Relm and Stargo never got mentioned beyond cutscenes.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gau is Spider-Man because they're both children and animal themed.

I don't remember if he linked Dr Strange to anyone as at that time I was eating the spiciest chicken of my life.

then i have no choice but to say this video is bullshit!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like there isn't rightfully anyone to compare IW Strange to in FFVI, because I feel like the key feature of Strange in Infinity War is that he at least has a plan, even if it doesn't work (unless it does). And nobody in the party knows how to grapple with Kefka's bullshit by the Floating Continent.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The whole comparison is stupid and dumb and bad.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

The whole comparison is stupid and dumb and bad.

Kinda like the MCU and FF games.

COINCIDENCE???

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I feel like there isn't rightfully anyone to compare IW Strange to in FFVI, because I feel like the key feature of Strange in Infinity War is that he at least has a plan, even if it doesn't work (unless it does). And nobody in the party knows how to grapple with Kefka's bullshit by the Floating Continent.

honestly i only said that as a joke, but spider-man being relm i stand by, as their both optimistic youths in a pessimistic world

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gau is Spider-Man because they're both children and animal themed.

I don't remember if he linked Dr Strange to anyone as at that time I was eating the spiciest chicken of my life.

:thunk:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Mr. Thou, I don’t feel so good...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Final Fantasy 13: If mashing the 'a' button after selecting my actions doesn't do anything, why does my idiot brain keep making me do it???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does it not do anything? Or does it "not do anything" like the button combo you press after throwing a pokeball to up your catch success rate, which totally works guys trust me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Final Fantasy 13: If mashing the 'a' button after selecting my actions doesn't do anything, why does my idiot brain keep making me do it???

Because the game does an excellent job of feeling like an action game but is actually a turn based strategy management game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All I know is it makes me contemplate the futility of one's actions in the face of the universe and thus must be doing something right. Next, I'll

derra
Dec 29, 2012

DrNutt posted:

If I've gone through that much trouble I want to coast to the end, honestly, I don't care how easy the last boss is. The way FF7 did it sucked, where it made the last boss progressively harder the more you had leveled. I am leveling to make things easier for myself, not harder.

The story gated progression is a big part of why I find 13 to be so fun, as the game is balanced around your capabilities. 13-2 had some nice improvements in a vacuum but the difficulty was so low I quit relatively early.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The video author's words and reasoning.

However, spiders are part of the animal kingdom.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I wish 13 had more optional challenges. Sazh and Vanille kinda have some with the bomb backtrack area and the Wyverns / Scalebeasts. Kinda. Toss some harder poo poo at me that I could just walk around if I wanted to before Gran Pulse.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Does Sabin's name rhyme with cabin or Gaben?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reading and listening to a lot of stuff about Square making the games from that era feels so surreal and quaint at the same time. They'd start a project, finish it, take a month vacation, and then start and finish another project. They made Chrono Trigger because they wanted to kill time between Final Fantasy 6 and 7. It boggles my mind how a masterpiece exists because they needed to fill in a gap. If my 12 year old self could ask me what number Final Fantasy they were on now he'd be so confused and disappointed.

SNES games don't require as many graphics. The way they worked back then was wild spontaneity, but the time it takes to implement new ideas with the necessary fidelity has done nothing but increase since then. You need disciplined product management in order to control the costs of that kind of experimentation and they seem to lack it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Daddy Thanos posted:

Since it is a US original name, and I found out Sabin is a word, I'm assuming like Gaben?

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

lobster22221 posted:

Since it is a US original name, and I found out Sabin is a word, I'm assuming like Gaben?

:shittypop:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Hey, its as good a guess as any.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It rhymes with “Maureen.”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

These are my fave tracks in no particular order but notably I'm basing this on orchestral versions and not like chiptune versions

Terra's Theme (FF6)
Matoya's Cave (FF1)
FFT Opening Theme
Suteki Da Ne (FF10)
Cyan's Theme (FF6)
FF15 Apocolypsis Noctis
FF15 Valse De Fantastica
FF15 Somnus

I realize one of the primary reasons I remember a lot of these games is because of the music. FFXV in particular had some great tracks. Matoya's cave has a beautiful version in FFXIV.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my fav ff song is operatic metal covers of Battle on the Big Bridge

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Daddy Thanos posted:

I've always said "sah-bean".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The whole FFT soundtrack is musical perfection and I shan't hear otherwise.

I still get the chills when I hear those chimes in the opening theme.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Distant Worlds is coming near me again after I decided I didn't want to make the drive last year, but instead of three sweet FF7 tribute concert they're playing everywhere else we're mostly getting songs from games I never played :( Still probably going to go but my enthusiasms not what it would be for some of the other shows.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should play more games, then.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm not going because it's all ff7 music tbh

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
DID SOMEBODY SAY "BATTLE ON THE BIG BRIDGE"!?

Because 8-Bit Music Theory recently did a video on that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGRnWGJzPw

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
took me 4 hours to beat pitioss, even with a video guide. it didnt make me as angry as i thought it would, but the skull roller room and two of the jumps into thin rusty planks were pretty infuriating

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Relin posted:

took me 4 hours to beat pitioss, even with a video guide. it didnt make me as angry as i thought it would, but the skull roller room and two of the jumps into thin rusty planks were pretty infuriating

:hfive:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you could leave the real world to go to Ivalice, would you?

I’ll be kind and let you choose which version of Ivalice to go to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whichever one has bunny girls

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The main problem with Ivalice is humanity didn’t invent buttpants and assless chaps until after the bunny girls were genocided.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

............Maybe FFXII Ivalice.

FFT is a medieval hellscape with literal demons that just got out of a war that lasted longer than I've been alive, and red murder chickens that can drop meteors on my head. gently caress that noise, I'd be dead in less than a week.

The Judges in FFT advance series can gently caress right off, so no way in hell I'm going there.

Haven't played Vagrant Story, so can't really say my opinion on that, but from the aesthetics I've seen, it seems similar lovely to FFT's world but with less actual demons running around.

FFXII has airtravel, less lovely judges than FFTA and...........I mean, I'm not immune to Viera. Sure there's war and demagoguery, and obvious underclasses, but like I live in the tyol 2019, I'm used to that poo poo (tbf I'd still probably die very quickly).

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 12, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does Ivalice have toilet paper.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yes, but it's forbidden once every 10 days. Recommended: pine cones.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFT Ivalice is a cool place to hang if you're in the 1% and it's a hellscape locked in forever war. In other words, I guess I'd live in America again I don't know.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Ivalice is probably the FF world I'd like to go the least. The closest I see to Ivalice being a nice world to live in is if you're like a citizen of the evil empire living in an utopic futuristic paradise during some time frame where wars aren't happening because it just looks like they're living in a cleaner prettier healthier version of Coruscant.

Actually nevermind, now that I'm giving it some thought every FF world really sucks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 world seems to be a cool and chill place to live so long as you're not too tied to any specific governmental authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yes, they’re called Moogles.