Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Today I opened the door out of my lab and was greeted by a big fuckoff spider hanging out in the floor, which woke me right up. And now I'm super sad for it. It's a fishing spider, and they live near water on docks and stuff, and it probably hid on a shipping pallet to sleep and now it's far from water and probably confused and scared and alone

I guess what I'm saying is, tapering off effexor is going super well and I'm feeling great and am not on the verge of tears over a loving spider that might not even be capable of feeling the emotions I'm projecting onto it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

Today I opened the door out of my lab and was greeted by a big fuckoff spider hanging out in the floor, which woke me right up. And now I'm super sad for it. It's a fishing spider, and they live near water on docks and stuff, and it probably hid on a shipping pallet to sleep and now it's far from water and probably confused and scared and alone

I guess what I'm saying is, tapering off effexor is going super well and I'm feeling great and am not on the verge of tears over a loving spider that might not even be capable of feeling the emotions I'm projecting onto it

spiders are essentially a bundle of reactionary nerves wired together so its probably ok. your empathy is also commendable most people would be screaming about how it needed to die

lack of control over emotional depth though that’s Effexor through and through

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

a bundle of reactionary nerves wired together

:same:

Chokes McGee posted:

so its probably ok.

:hmmno:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
thread I have a problem

a few weeks ago a couple of chuds are work were bragging loudly about forceably washing out their kids' mouths with soap. One was yelling about how it was punishment for telling "dirty lies." The other was all "YEAH THEY SPIT IT OUT FIRST TIME NEXT TIME I MADE SURE THEY KEPT IT THERE." then they talked about how their kids thanked them for it later. this is actual real child abuse I'm listening to and had to leave the room to avoid exploding. shortly after I called my contractor recruit and gave him the gory details and why it wasn't cool and requested action. he was cool about it. I was then sent over to a woman in HR who was also cool about it and talked to me at length about what happened, if anything has happened since, etc. and after giving me my options gave me a weekend to think about how to proceed.

after the weekend I got a guy who was filling in for her who you could tell was an absolute weasel from the moment he started speaking. His reaction was basically "no don't tell your supervisor to sent a warning email to watch what you say, it won't work. instead just say something to her next time, also it wasn't directed at you so SORRY LATERS" this is a complete and fundamental misunderstand of how hostile work environments work which means not only is he a corporate whore but also actively breaking the law

now, here's my problem

I really want to give everyone involved the middle finger, but I actually like working here to a degree. Like I could extend my contract another 6 months and probably be pretty happy (if I can get them to raise my rates). However, this involves A) working with known child abusers and b) working with a company who does not give one iota of a poo poo about their contractors. Furthermore I can't go full time because their internal HR and managers are absolutely batshit and being a contractor means I don't have to care or deal with any of it.

I am basically waging a war here against my principles versus my comfort/happiness and I really don't want to take the latter because that's how capitalism wins :negative:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
start with this: try to talk again to the first hr person. send them a direct email again and just tell her the truth - the person filling in just wanted to bury it and you’re not comfortable with that; it feels like an about-face from the way the conversations you were having before.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Chokes McGee posted:

I am basically waging a war here against my principles versus my comfort/happiness and I really don't want to take the latter because that's how capitalism wins :negative:

I'm with ya, buddy. When I start my own business it's gonna be called No Dickbags Inc and it will be full of non dickbag awesome people and probably be the most successful company ever.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

what's No Dickbags, Inc. gonna do? make dildos?

:v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/catonatrain/status/1048381616698081281

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

imo let's not manically whip ourselves into pretending that staying alive is or should be radical act

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ugato posted:

start with this: try to talk again to the first hr person. send them a direct email again and just tell her the truth - the person filling in just wanted to bury it and you’re not comfortable with that; it feels like an about-face from the way the conversations you were having before.

To be honest, I'm not sure what else there is TO do. Like I said, I wanted to at least get a warning shot email, but apparently I can't do that without upsetting the applecart and I'm pretty sure whatever face you put on it, they don't want a word of this getting to my contracted company. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been around the block enough to get a good feeling for this kind of thing. :shrug:

My contract's up in July, the real agonizing decision is to shoot them the double bird and move on to somewhere else or stay with a good thing where I like my other team mates and why does this suddenly all sound familiar :thunk:

DrPossum posted:

I'm with ya, buddy. When I start my own business it's gonna be called No Dickbags Inc and it will be full of non dickbag awesome people and probably be the most successful company ever.

awww, and I wanted to join too :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

imo let's not manically whip ourselves into pretending that staying alive is or should be radical act

having tried the alternative I think living's pretty :krad:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

having tried the alternative I think living's pretty :krad:

sure i agree but still stand by my opinion because different claim

that said everyone do unto themselves i retract my implied normative statement

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DrPossum posted:

Just let me know when I can send in my resume.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Lol HR. Just report to CPS directly? Bring the hammer down?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

Lol HR. Just report to CPS directly? Bring the hammer down?

nothing left to change it at this point, their kids are already grown. that’s my main problem about this, the whole point was standing up to say “this isn’t right” to which the collection reaction was “lol who cares”

I think I have made up my mind though and will start hob hunting mid May

thanks all :)

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
Today I started taking methylprednisolone, a steroid, because I've lost my voice for 3 weeks and it's probably (hopefully) due to allergies. I've always been told to steer clear of steroids if possible due to mania.

So far I feel fine and have had doctors and a pharmacist reassure me but I'm still a bit worried about it. I take my bp meds like I'm supposed to and all that.

Has anyone had any ill effects with steroids?

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

nothing left to change it at this point, their kids are already grown. that’s my main problem about this, the whole point was standing up to say “this isn’t right” to which the collection reaction was “lol who cares”

Ah I see. Well good luck. I imagine most workplaces in the US are the same though.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

got any sevens posted:

i know its a smaller issue than actual depression and stuff but i'm surrounded by people at work and college that mostly talk about avengers and rp1 and harry potter and if i wasnt already a loner then it would make me one, because all this pointless talk about pablum is so depressing. all these kids raised on fascist nietzchian fantasies that still havent woken up...

like, how is anyone even excited for avengers? you know thanos will lose and everyone will come back, because they've signed contracts. and the fights are shot poorly and ughggh its not even good spectacle like a jackie chan film

Make them watch some Shaw brothers films to show them what real fight choreography looks like

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redsniper posted:

Ah I see. Well good luck. I imagine most workplaces in the US are the same though.

Yeah. This is one of the major reasons I'm sticking to contracting, even if the benefits are poo poo. If a place is chud ridden I can peace out with a clear conscious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

Today I started taking methylprednisolone, a steroid, because I've lost my voice for 3 weeks and it's probably (hopefully) due to allergies. I've always been told to steer clear of steroids if possible due to mania.

So far I feel fine and have had doctors and a pharmacist reassure me but I'm still a bit worried about it. I take my bp meds like I'm supposed to and all that.

It's possible they'll cause aggression that will trigger mania, but I'm assuming you're on a limited time dose, so it should clear out soon enough. Certain types of steroids have caused mixed episodes in MY WIFE, though, so you'll probably want to keep an eye on it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Chokes McGee posted:

start job hunting now! unless for some reason your contract is incredibly more binding than any of mine have ever been, I’ve always been free to walk away, just like they’re free to fire me on a whim. if you find something sooner, leave sooner rather than later. if you don’t, well you’ve already been putting in the work and job hunts can take time.

and I guess you’re luckier than I am since I haven’t been offered anything but a contract position in 7 years

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pre-op bebop posted:

I take them infrequently to deal with crohns flare ups, everyone is different but the main side effects I get are increased appetite(can actually be insanely strong), anger/more irritable, moon face and sore joints. None of it is that bad though. You starting on 40mg?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

redsniper posted:

can confirm; everywhere i’ve worked where i’ve had similar exp as op reactions have ranged from “that’s none of yr business” to “don’t be so sensitive” all the way to “why do you care?”

i’m working on a theory that i’ve been surrounded by horrible assholes my whole life

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah. This is one of the major reasons I'm sticking to contracting, even if the benefits are poo poo. If a place is chud ridden I can peace out with a clear conscious.

Yo, I just wanted to wish you luck and say it’s not wrong to care, or to try and make change in the workplace. whatever happens, you’re a cool dude for trying to improve things

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

Yo, I just wanted to wish you luck and say it’s not wrong to care, or to try and make change in the workplace. whatever happens, you’re a cool dude for trying to improve things

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

having a hard time finding work with an electrical engineering degree is dumb as hell

get me outta this wack rear end military industrial complex

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CODChimera posted:

the main side effects I get are increased appetite(can actually be insanely strong), anger/more irritable, moon face and sore joints.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Quicksilver6 posted:

thanks. I knew I wasn’t going to really change anything but eventually I made the decision if nothing else happened I had an obligation to stand up for myself.

speaking of which my horrible horrible mom apparently sic’d my dad on my wife since I’ve blocked them long since and I’m red and mad and possibly also nude

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i forgot to check back in with the thread, but my friend seems to have calmed down a lot. still working on the patent with her, but we're almost done and i hope that's put her at ease

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Condiv posted:

i forgot to check back in with the thread, but my friend seems to have calmed down a lot. still working on the patent with her, but we're almost done and i hope that's put her at ease

:hellyeah:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I am not a super huge fan of alternating between episodes of fatigue and anhedonia and episodes of obsessive focus on completely pointless and stupid ideas.

I've been tapering off of what I think is an ssri over the course of the past couple of weeks and boy howdy is sleep paralysis a weird symptom of withdrawal. It's hard to tell if I've been experiencing brain zaps or if I've been having micro sleeps that csuse hypnic jerks. Whenever I start feeling jolts while sitting up there's always a brief moment where I feel like I'm dreaming. Trying to sleep after I dropped my dose the second time resulted in similar jolts, capped off with random spades of sleep paralysis.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

I am not a super huge fan of alternating between episodes of fatigue and anhedonia and episodes of obsessive focus on completely pointless and stupid ideas.

I've been tapering off of what I think is an ssri over the course of the past couple of weeks and boy howdy is sleep paralysis a weird symptom of withdrawal. It's hard to tell if I've been experiencing brain zaps or if I've been having micro sleeps that csuse hypnic jerks. Whenever I start feeling jolts while sitting up there's always a brief moment where I feel like I'm dreaming. Trying to sleep after I dropped my dose the second time resulted in similar jolts, capped off with random spades of sleep paralysis.

I had to stop taking trazedone recently. Since I'm already on sertraline (SSRI), trazedone was upping the power of it. Normally it's not a big deal because it was really helping with the insomnia, but when my body's done with it, I start having really weird dissociations and can't tell the difference between dreams and memories.

so, uh, that's going away

in other news I just finished my first full letter band. It says "Remember Sailor - CSpam, Binch!!" but of course I picked threads that make it impossible to see. Anyway, I've gotten a handle on pickup/pulldown weaving now, so if anyone wants a bookmark or something give me the colors and either a pattern or what you want it to say

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So this week I found out I have OCD. It makes sense considering how I act with my anxiety. There are some things I’m extremely rigid about.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chokes McGee posted:

I had to stop taking trazedone recently. Since I'm already on sertraline (SSRI), trazedone was upping the power of it. Normally it's not a big deal because it was really helping with the insomnia, but when my body's done with it, I start having really weird dissociations and can't tell the difference between dreams and memories.

so, uh, that's going away

Something similar happens to me. If I fall asleep during the day I'll usually wake up with what feels like an ongoing dream, where I'm awake enough to see what's around me and know that I'm awake but still have my thinking still seem like it's dreaming.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

if anyone's havin a bad day just remember: communism WILL win

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Feranon posted: