Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Makes me wonder what other things we can find in old demos that we definitely thought were a joke at the time, but then it turns out they were not a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Makes me wonder what other things we can find in old demos that we definitely thought were a joke at the time, but then it turns out they were not a joke

Worm, was a joke :(

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile here's the heaviest freighter currently in-game doing some snap turns in a canyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF19C9kvHhg

what is flight model how is thruster formed

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile here's the heaviest freighter currently in-game doing some snap turns in a canyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF19C9kvHhg

what is flight model how is thruster formed

LOL, you can almost see the pivot point in the center of the ship which it moves around. Its like watching someone rotate a model in Blender.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1115425956385230848
https://twitter.com/JeromyWalsh/status/1116337042760327168

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 11, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lladre posted:

This is left over spaghetti code from their first attempt at airlocks. When I correctly guessed that the whole thing was based on your character pushing the button.
Every time these guys chime up about fidelity, it makes chuckle.

You should have wrote a July blog about it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wow, they had no qualms about making it pay to win did they?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

iospace posted:

About that!

Neat!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woof!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

What the gently caress is he talking about with a 0.01% deviation? People who have never taken a statistics class should never talk about statistics.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hi hello I’m here to tell you that it actually doesn’t matter what your sample size is if your survey is biased and the responses are unclear thanks for coming to my TED talk

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lladre posted:

This is left over spaghetti code from their first attempt at airlocks. When I correctly guessed that the whole thing was based on your character pushing the button.
Every time these guys chime up about fidelity, it makes chuckle.

This makes a lot of sense, I almost did a face palm. The activator must be some kind of nightmare extension or child and along the way they forgot to tell the tv it doesn't get the airlock death timer.

Their code. :perfect:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

first of all: STRANGE! why would it be fun to play something else then that which you wanted to play? i dont get it. but i also did not get the jobs in shenmue.

second of all: if QT is some sort of loading screen...well it will be tricky to load up another game then? (while at the same time keep the universe runninng in the back, since the wish to play star marine until they are interdicted or something)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lovely, select problematic games to prop up your own problematic game, while blatantly ignoring all the games that are developed in less time and have more gameplay in a single crater than in the whole of SC.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

Hi hello I’m here to tell you that it actually doesn’t matter what your sample size is if your survey is biased and the responses are unclear thanks for coming to my TED talk

What? you mean if the question is: would you like a bigger game that is delivered faster?

That the results might be skewed?

NEVER!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

Exactly! Seeing that there are cupboards and things we can interact with already. I feel like those are just placeholders for later on. I want to be able to hang up all my outfits and space suits in a closet! Also I. The area 18 habs they have that little tv that comes down, I really hope they implement some sort of real news system. Would love to wake up turn on that tv see what’s new and happening in the verse while I make my morning coffe for my commute the space sport! Or being able to find some unquie mineral or gem and being able to display it on your counter, would remind me of the adventure I went on to get that rock! Or maybe a piece of vandull armor that I was barely able to acquire without a battle wound to pair with the story! The possibilities are practically endless!

Gotta love sarcasm on reddit.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

first of all: STRANGE! why would it be fun to play something else then that which you wanted to play? i dont get it. but i also did not get the jobs in shenmue.

second of all: if QT is some sort of loading screen...well it will be tricky to load up another game then? (while at the same time keep the universe runninng in the back, since the wish to play star marine until they are interdicted or something)

Its not a loading screen, its a delaying screen.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Ah yes, back in the early days when most of the community was engaged. And by "most", I mean <10% of the total community who inadvertently voted to put the project into development hell for the next 5+ years. Good times.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah these kind of arguments are completely invalid.
like: hey game X was made in TWO YEARS and brilliant. that means that ALL GAMES which were made in two years must be brilliant.

(like big rigs over the road racing)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amazing how a company can be valued at 460 million when they are in debt to investors by at least 40 something million, don't yet have a finished product, and haven't actually generated any profit yet.

But that's just business i suppose.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Amazing how a company can be valued at 460 million when they are in debt to investors by at least 40 something million, don't yet have a finished product, and haven't actually generated any profit yet.

The yawning chasm between CIG's valuation and their actual real-world worth is a big reason why this is so fun to watch. At some point the rubber hits the road - we've just been consistently wrong about when that will occur.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

I want ED to ad space legs, not because space legs are a good idea but because the massive dump it would be on CInotG would be fun to watch.

gently caress yeah

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

iospace posted:

About that!

Remember the whole "more expensive ships go faster in QT"?

So, I was curious, and looked into jump range (closest comparison for cost to performance in this case) for Elite ships, without having to spend more money on the expansion. Supercruise mechanics are the same (intrasystem), but intersystem range varies between ships.

FOR THE SAKE OF THIS ARGUMENT, EACH SHIP WILL BE FITTED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
-2A Powerplant
-Smallest D rated thrusters it can fit
-Biggest A rated frame shift drive
-D class life support
-1D power distro (no need for boosting here)
-D class sensors
-Stock fuel tank (read: largest)
-Largest class A fuel scoop
-Detailed surface scanner
-Remaining optional internals are EMPTY
-0 heatsink launchers
-NO ENGINEERING OR GUARDIAN MODULES

What I'm really curious is cost/light year in range. For the sake of easy comparison, we're looking at the jump range with a full load of fuel. We're basically min/maxing both the range and the cost here (realistically you're running AFMUs and a shield, plus heatsinks). Min/Maxing with Horizons stuff will take the Sidewinder from 21.12 to 43 flat, for what it's worth, with greater effects on bigger ships, but it's hard to quantify the price of that, so we're ignoring it. Yes, you could do some fuckery with the fuel scoop size to help offset cost, but we want consitency between each ship.

Let's start with the Sidewinder, the starter ship. It's free of charge, so you can disregard the hull cost, but for this let's not. It comes out at a good 21.12LY range, all for 870,068 credits. That gives you a nice 41,296 credits per light year. However, if you want to visit Beagle Point, that's not going to cut it unless you want to take some fun routes. You need more range.

Enter the Hauler. It can carry a bigger fuel scoop, which adds to the cost. It checks in at 1,516,648 credits, but goes 32.08 LY. That'll get you to Beagle Point comfortably. It's slightly less cost efficient than the Sidewinder at 47,277 Cr/LY, but that extra range means you can go a bit further.

Now we're starting to break 8 figures for a ship, and this is the final small ship: the Diamondback Explorer. It clocks in at an impressive 38.27LY range, one of the longest ranges in the game (only one ship outclasses it without engineering or guardian modules). Costs 10,191,078 credits, giving us 259,513 Cr/LY. However, if you want to do deep space exploration, that price tag is definitely worth the extra 6+ LY.

Getting into the medium ships, first up is the Type-6 Transporter. Nominally a cargo ship, it does exploration pretty well, with a pretty good 30.67 jump range, and a lot of cargo space for endurance runs. It can also carry a bigger scoop than the DBX, which is where the scoop makes up a non-trivial amount of the cost, costing more than the other components combined (if you want to drop the scoop down to a 5B instead of a 5A, you save over 6m credits for all of 5 seconds more fueling time, but that doesn't apply here). At 12,052,588 credits, it costs 392,976 Cr/LY.

The original exploration boat, the Asp Explorer, has largely been overshadowed by newer ships as of late, but it still gets the job done. A beefy 35.21LY range with a 40,679,838 credit cost, it weighs in at 1,155,348 Cr/LY. Like the Type-6, the fuel scoop is extremely expensive.

I was tempted to do the Python but it was not good enough, so have the Krait Phantom instead. The newest ship in this list, and also the last medium, it can go 35.41 light years in a single jump. It also changes the mold that the hull costs more than the rest of the components combined, clocking in at 77,096,603 credits, for a total of 2,177,255.

And here we are. The pinnacle of ships: the Anaconda. The hull itself is 9 figures, an add on all the other bits, and you're looking at 251,771,718 credits. However, for that cost you're able to go 39.63 LY, the longest range of any ship without engineering. However, it's not efficient at all: 6,353,058 Cr/LY. However, you have the biggest jump range in the game. Add in Horizons min/maxing and you can easily make a planetary landing capable ship that sits at 80.83LY. Impressive.

Let's go back to the hauler though. A 3A fuel scoop will fill the 4T tank in 22 seconds. A 3C will do it in 31. The A rated one is 902,950 credits, and the C is 56,440 credits. So if you're not too concerned over a few more seconds to refuel, you can drop down to a 3C and not lose too much time (and realitically, you'll never notice unless you do a couple jumps without refueling). If you're a min/maxing loon and want to drop your shield or AFMU for a FSD Booster, then engineer the rest, you can get a super impressive 57.94 LY range for under 3m credits. Not going to be able to land on planets, but still, a very impressive ship for its cost.

Stimpire.txt Elite style? Need more pain tripling every second though.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

iospace posted:

Elite just announced that they're buffing the smaller ships :lol:

Two extra optional internal slots for small ships, one extra for medium. Oh and they're making it more newbie friendly.

*looks over in SC's direction*

This is actually really good in Elite, too. Any buff to the smallest ships makes a lot of difference. Plus that supercruise helper module is amazing for the lazy.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

The yawning chasm between CIG's valuation and their actual real-world worth is a big reason why this is so fun to watch. At some point the rubber hits the road - we've just been consistently wrong about when that will occur.

I heard 6 months tops.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big nipples big life posted:

I want ED to ad space legs, not because space legs are a good idea but because the massive dump it would be on CInotG would be fun to watch.

I'm in favour of FD doing space legs later, much later, as there are more things i want first. Especially being able to land on atmosphere worlds, gas giant atmopsheres to fly through, more SRV types, etc, and more life on planets, not just the mainly static stuff we have now, but fauna. But if they are doing fauna, they might as well do space legs as well.

But some people obsess over space legs, thinking it will add a lot to the game, but it won't add much unless there is gameplay to go along with it, otherwise it will be just walking along corridors, and SC already has that nailed.

But yeah, if ED gets space legs, before SC releases, it will be interesting to say the least. Of course, i'm pretty sure some of the backers will immedialte claim SC's space legs is more fidelitious or something, despite their walk model being absoloutely abysmal.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I asked myself if it was a scam. My sample size of one backer produced the bombshell that it’s probably going to be poo poo, and this was a unanimous position.

hosed up if true.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Theranos was worth nine billion, then it turned out their product was lies.

Funny how it merely takes collapsing the trade secrets wave function.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, kind reminder that backers voted for scope increase AND faster release. It's funny because the second part of the equation is all the time forgotten by the Star Citizen defenders that claim that "the community voted for the scope increase". Duh, of course, if the question had been "scope increase and a decade of development", my little finger tells me the vote wouldn't have been that overwhimingly positive.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

More money means we finish faster - Chris Roberts 2013-2014

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You can literally do anything!

Crash to desktop, fall through the ground into an unending abyss, get killed by a ramp, pick up a box, put the box down again, anything!

Welcome ... to CroboCom.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Chris is a huckster so dense that no refund can escape his grasp. Chargebacks are against the laws of physics!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm just "following the logic" of how sampling the extreme of the extreme, a niche population, in a poll where the only side represented is the extreme is naturally totally representative.

though it would be easier to concentrate on following this line of thought if someone weren't burning toast at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

i'm just "following the logic" of how sampling the extreme of the extreme, a niche population, in a poll where the only side represented is the extreme is naturally totally representative.

though it would be easier to concentrate on following this line of thought if someone weren't burning toast at the moment.

holy poo poo, I just now got a chance to actually read that screencap and that might be the dumbest thing anyone has ever said in relation to star citizen. jesus christ