Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
All set on chicken stock for a little while :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

All set on chicken stock for a little while :dukedog:

Nice. How long do you cook it? I've been making chicken bone stock and vegetable stock separate and mixing them when cooking. We accumulate veg scrap way faster than chicken scraps.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

wormil posted:

Nice. How long do you cook it? I've been making chicken bone stock and vegetable stock separate and mixing them when cooking. We accumulate veg scrap way faster than chicken scraps.

This was my first time making it in the pressure cooker and both recipes I grabbed called for 45 minutes on high pressure. So I went with 45 minutes. I can never go back to doing it on the stove after how quick and easy this was.

I also have way more veg scrap. The meat was two chicken carcasses that I chopped down. Browned about half the pieces then threw the others in with the water.

6qt pressure cooker.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Its worth it to do chicken stock for longer in the IP. I've done 1 hour, 2, 3, and 3 followed by cooling overnight and each step up yields richer stock with substantially more gelatin. The 3 hour batch that cooled overnight was firmer than jello when it set (I use backs, feet and sometimes wings, so lots of gelatin).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 8, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I want to cook with homemade chicken stock, but it's just too easy when it's liquid at the temperature I store it at. There's got to be a better more difficult way!

poverty goat posted:

Its worth it to do chicken stock for longer in the IP. I've done 1 hour, 2, 3, and 3 followed by cooling overnight and each step up yields richer stock with substantially more gelatin. The 3 hour batch that cooled overnight was firmer than jello when it set (I use backs, feet and sometimes wings, so lots of gelatin).

Perfect!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and it's worth remembering to always let it depressurize on its own when you do stock, it helps the clarity immensely

i did 90m last night and it was pretty jelly like this morning after it sat in the fridge.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I’ll use some for cooking tonight and see if I want it thicker. I figured 45 minutes would be on the low end, but I figured I’d start there and see how it came out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been doing 3 or 3.5 hours on chicken and beef stock, 30 minutes on veg. It's more solid than jello when it cools.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
3.5 hours under pressure for chicken is a long rear end time. Fish < Chicken < Beef usually but interested to hear your thought process on that decision. Like why not do beef for 4 or 4.5? And is the chicken bone not disintegrated by then?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Mom gave me a pack of that slow cooker premixed stuff for carnitas. I got some pork, think I can use this poo poo in my IP?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Similar questions, I got some Sazon Goya seasoning ( one box with cilantro/achiote and one with saffron) from my grocery stores junk shelf. Anyone got good IP recipes that use these?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just throw that poo poo in there with some rice and chicken for lazy arroz con pollo. Blend some tomatoes onions garlic. Throw it on top of the rice and chicken along with the sazon.. probably worth a Google

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ranter posted:

3.5 hours under pressure for chicken is a long rear end time. Fish < Chicken < Beef usually but interested to hear your thought process on that decision. Like why not do beef for 4 or 4.5? And is the chicken bone not disintegrated by then?

8 hrs stovetop is roughly equal to 2.5 hrs in an IP but I want the bones to soften so I can grind them easily. I've tried different lengths of time and there hasn't been any downside to going longer and the stock actually gets a little darker from the extra time. I've also experimented with different times with veg and 30 minutes seems to be a sweet spot for very flavorful stock. 35-40 min and it starts losing flavor. 20 min and some of the tougher veg like dark leek greens is just starting to release flavor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
grind the bones?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Gotta get rid of the bodies somehow :shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

grind the bones?

Haven't you ever heard of bone broth duh

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

grind the bones?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/12/how-to-make-chicken-paitan-ramen.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

huh, how about that

i remember reading part of that article when it came out and quit because it looked like it was gonna be too much work :v:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Captainsalami posted:

Mom gave me a pack of that slow cooker premixed stuff for carnitas. I got some pork, think I can use this poo poo in my IP?

Is it just spices or liquid marinade too? Either way, it'll probably work fine if you just add some OJ and chicken stock.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Hmmm the pressure seal dot went missing from my IP. Is that something you can replace?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The metal stick thing? I think you have to replace the whole flange but you can remove the bottom bit for cleaning so it shouldn't be too hard.

I mean I guess also looking into where it wound up would be good

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Did a three hour pressure cook of some aromatics, a couple chicken carcasses, and a couple pounds of feet. Got out a little over 3 quarts of nice jello stock. How long can I keep this stuff in the fridge?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I'd throw it in ice cube trays or portion into ziolock bags and chuck in the freezer. Reduce it down a bit beforehand for some nicely concentrated stock.

In the fridge it'll keep for up to a day or four, I guess, but I wouldn't want to keep it in there longer.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

pim01 posted:

I'd throw it in ice cube trays or portion into ziolock bags and chuck in the freezer. Reduce it down a bit beforehand for some nicely concentrated stock.

This is what I do as well. Except I freeze it into pucks in a muffin tin and transfer to a ziploc. It makes a nice portion size for cooking.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Did a three hour pressure cook of some aromatics, a couple chicken carcasses, and a couple pounds of feet. Got out a little over 3 quarts of nice jello stock. How long can I keep this stuff in the fridge?

A couple of days. After it cools down in the fridge I get all my stocks in the freezer ASAP.

I portion it out in 2 cup containers and just pop them out into a sauce pan and melt them down whenever I need a little stock.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I've decided that I'm going to try making instant pot yogurt overnight tonight. I've been looking at recipes online and they're basically all the same process: Boil milk with Yogurt setting, cool to 110, mix in existing yogurt, incubate.

The only thing that's throwing me off is that some sites (e.g. this one) say to avoid disturbing the bottom of the Instant Pot insert while stirring in the yogurt before incubating, but this one on Epicurious does not. Have any of you tried this and do you have an opinion on this? Epicurious just says to mix it in thoroughly.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Ignoranus posted:

I've decided that I'm going to try making instant pot yogurt overnight tonight. I've been looking at recipes online and they're basically all the same process: Boil milk with Yogurt setting, cool to 110, mix in existing yogurt, incubate.

The only thing that's throwing me off is that some sites (e.g. this one) say to avoid disturbing the bottom of the Instant Pot insert while stirring in the yogurt before incubating, but this one on Epicurious does not. Have any of you tried this and do you have an opinion on this? Epicurious just says to mix it in thoroughly.

I make yogurt at home. I stir pretty thoroughly, and I think the reason why the first site says "don't scratch the bottom" has more to do with scratching the inner pot in general than affecting the quality of the final product. I use a plastic ladle to stir up the milk well before putting the pot back into the instant pot so that I don't scratch up the bottom of the inner pot too much.

You should be fine if you stir it well even if your stirring ladle touches the bottom of the pot.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You dont need to boil the milk if you buy UHT long life stuff, and it tastes just as good.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

NPR Journalizard posted:

You dont need to boil the milk if you buy UHT long life stuff, and it tastes just as good.

Do you just put in yogurt/yogurt starter into cold milk and incubate it from there? I heard the boil was needed not to pasteurize it, but to separate the proteins in a way that would make the milk yogurt-able.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I just finished a batch spawned from a cold carton of UHT organic milk without boiling and it's WEIRD. It was only in there for 8 hours, starting cold, but it really went hog wild and it's VERY tart/unsweet, and the flavor is distinct from the kind of tartness you get after 24+ hours. It's pretty thin, yet didn't yield much whey when strained and is still pretty thin after 4 hours hanging wrapped in a tea towel. And it's fizzy. Still smells like food though, it's probably fine

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I just finished a batch spawned from a cold carton of UHT organic milk without boiling and it's WEIRD. It was only in there for 8 hours, starting cold, but it really went hog wild and it's VERY tart/unsweet, and the flavor is distinct from the kind of tartness you get after 24+ hours. It's pretty thin, yet didn't yield much whey when strained and is still pretty thin after 4 hours hanging wrapped in a tea towel. And it's fizzy. Still smells like food though, it's probably fine

I tend to leave mine on for longer, usually between 12 and 24 hours and it starts from room temp but I still get lots of whey and I strain it for 3-4 hours so it thickens into Greek style. The fizzy thing worries me. That's never happened to mine.

Casull posted:

Do you just put in yogurt/yogurt starter into cold milk and incubate it from there? I heard the boil was needed not to pasteurize it, but to separate the proteins in a way that would make the milk yogurt-able.

Yeah, pretty much. I keep my milk in the pantry, so it's starting at room temp though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I tend to leave mine on for longer, usually between 12 and 24 hours and it starts from room temp but I still get lots of whey and I strain it for 3-4 hours so it thickens into Greek style. The fizzy thing worries me. That's never happened to mine.

Yeah, pretty much. I keep my milk in the pantry, so it's starting at room temp though.

It actually smells vaguely yeasty, not particularly lactic. It doesn't smell like bad fermentation at all, but it also doesn't smell like yogurt.

and that probably explains it, since I have a sourdough starter

e: I ate some. it's kind of bizarre, but the part that thickened well and has the consistency of greek yogurt just tastes like yeasty yogurt. it's still a bit sweet and captures the flavor of a fresh yeast roll better than a yeasty beer. the runnier portion is much more tart and unpleasant in a runaway sourdough kind of way

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2019

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ahhhh yeah, that would do it.

Thats one of the things I like about making my own yoghurt. Even a bad batch means im only out some time and some milk.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Girlfriend has a package of sliced deli ham in the freezer. Will I regret roughly chopping it up and and putting it into the IP with beans?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Might want to saute some onions and garlic and dump in chicken stock as well.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Well yeah, but I was wondering about mass produced deli ham being cooked under pressure for the usual length of time we cook pot beans in an IP.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you talking about thin, deli ham for a sandwich? dont try that.

if you want to add ham chunks to beans, the ham should be added only late enough to warm it through. it's already cooked, dont cook it twice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yes sorry if it wasn't clear enough... I wouldn't be asking if it was a whole smoked ham hock (which was pretty loving awesome despite being added at the start with the beans)

but I want to get rid of this frozen sliced ham and thought maaaaybe I could throw it into the beans. I was skeptical too hence asking here, and you've now confirmed so thank you. Will it turn to mush/disintegrate?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah most likely. even if you added it at the end to warm it through it doesnt sound very appealing tbh.

maybe use some of it in omlettes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ranter posted:

Yes sorry if it wasn't clear enough... I wouldn't be asking if it was a whole smoked ham hock (which was pretty loving awesome despite being added at the start with the beans)

but I want to get rid of this frozen sliced ham and thought maaaaybe I could throw it into the beans. I was skeptical too hence asking here, and you've now confirmed so thank you. Will it turn to mush/disintegrate?

I wouldn't throw it in to cook under pressure with the beans, but I'd recommend thawing it (microwave it if you need to), dicing it into tiny bits, and cooking in a pan with some oil until it gets nice and crispy and brown. Throw that into the beans for some texture and some background hammy flavor.