Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

davidspackage posted:

Yo, Sivana's got something to say.

This becomes twice as amusing picturing your avatar saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Samuringa posted:

poo poo, now I'm not sure but Sivana was really taking the whole situation pretty nonchalantly.

I think Sivana was the one who inspired the other Mad Scientists to do something about Adam rather than just run in terror. But Morrow was the one who got the device that knocked him out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

It also includes a character named Steamboat, who's a pretty standard-issue 1930s minstrel-show Negro (big pink lips, accent, and all).

Steamboat is the minstrel show turned up a notch and the yellow peril stuff is also more extreme than you usually see. It's not quite at the "and that's why it's fine to put them all in camps" level, but it's a lot closer than you'd like.

This isn't the right thread for unfortunate racism in old comics, though, so have this panel from a Superman comic that requires no further explanation.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

This isn't the right thread for unfortunate racism in old comics, though, so have this panel from a Superman comic that requires no further explanation.

That time Superman wrestled for CHIKARA.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

Steamboat is the minstrel show turned up a notch and the yellow peril stuff is also more extreme than you usually see. It's not quite at the "and that's why it's fine to put them all in camps" level, but it's a lot closer than you'd like.

'And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted superhero, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.'

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Batman issue with the strip club cover from a couple of pages ago came out, and none of the women apart from Selina (or even that strip club*) appear in the comic, so the mystery ladies remain a mystery.

*Though the robot replica Superman servants of the Fortress of Solitude do put on a strip show for Lois and Catwoman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 10, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That is real weird.... ethically? Are they sentient? Man and people say comics make you never think

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Daredevil #5 (vol. 3)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Later on he gets captured and put into some sort of alien ant farm.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Scaramouche posted:

That is real weird.... ethically? Are they sentient? Man and people say comics make you never think

They are not sentient.

But they are programmed to feel shame afterwards.

And why are Lois and Catwoman getting robo-strip shows from identical robots who presumably all look exactly like Lois's husband?

Is this a hen night? And if so whose hen is it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Catwoman's, pre Bat-wedding. Her and Lois are getting drunk on space wines at the Fortress.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Begemot posted:

There's a reason they call it the Golden Age.

Misread Thirla at first. Thought Captain Marvel was super hip there for a second. "This is how you deal with poo poo, thrilla."

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

And why are Lois and Catwoman getting robo-strip shows from identical robots who presumably all look exactly like Lois's husband?

Because they have access to identical robots who all look exactly like Lois's husband.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was funny how there was a men's strip show in the comic that was entirely occluded and off-panel, but also a scene where Lois and Catwoman get naked and bathe together in the Pleasure Pool with tasteful smears of mist occluding their breasts. Really matters where the camera is pointing, I guess.

Equality demands a scene where Clark and Bruce are drifting nude, inches from an embrace, in a rainbow jacuzzi while their dicks are obscured by mist. But I somehow suspect this would be considered too risqué, despite it being the exact same thing.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
we'll always have that one comic with batman's dick, even if the cowards at dc edited it out of reprints

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Selachian posted:

It also includes a character named Steamboat, who's a pretty standard-issue 1930s minstrel-show Negro (big pink lips, accent, and all).

I quite like seanbaby, and he did a list of https://www.cracked.com/blog/5-shockingly-racist-scenes-in-famous-superhero-comics/ . The Marvel Family comes in at #1, and covers Steamboat well.

quote:

"Most people call Captain Marvel "Shazam" because that's the magic word he screams to transform from young Billy Batson to a superhero. Aside from having a little boy inside him, he was basically Superman, or at least close enough that Superman sued him and won. Oh, yeah, there was one other trait that set him apart from Superman: Captain Marvel owned a slave.

You may be shocked to learn this slave was scared of ghosts.

Steamboat was Billy Batson's "valet," a combination secretary, cook, janitor, pilot, and slave. He was drawn so racistly that if you were unfamiliar with '40s stereotypes, you'd have no idea he was supposed to be human. He looked like a baboon crawling backwards out of a pile of laundry. If the world's greatest artist a card that said "MAKE THE ROOM UNCOMFORTABLE" in Pictionary, Steamboat is what he or she would draw."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Android Blues posted:

I thought it was funny how there was a men's strip show in the comic that was entirely occluded and off-panel, but also a scene where Lois and Catwoman get naked and bathe together in the Pleasure Pool with tasteful smears of mist occluding their breasts. Really matters where the camera is pointing, I guess.

Equality demands a scene where Clark and Bruce are drifting nude, inches from an embrace, in a rainbow jacuzzi while their dicks are obscured by mist. But I somehow suspect this would be considered too risqué, despite it being the exact same thing.

Time to call Liefeld

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I could have gone all my life without seeing that panel

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Millar write that poo poo?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Push El Burrito posted:

Later on he gets captured and put into some sort of alien ant farm.

Annie, was he okay?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Millar write that poo poo?

Frank or mark

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

Frank or mark

there's only one Millar who spells it with an A

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

You think this A stands for Frank!?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaois posted:

Do they both pronounce it the same? I always feel like I'm saying "Millar" wrong.

mil-LARR feels like I'm making fun of him for spelling it wrong.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

prefect posted:

Do they both pronounce it the same? I always feel like I'm saying "Millar" wrong.

mil-LARR feels like I'm making fun of him for spelling it wrong.

Millar and Miller are pronounced the same

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
what in the WORLD is that from and where can I purchase it

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ok, I give: why are they all wearing their masks?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaois posted:

Nice. :tipshat:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Because the artist can't make them look identifiably distinctive without their costumes (or parts of them) on.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Right, but is there a narrative reason/excuse?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Keeshhound posted:

Right, but is there a narrative reason/excuse?

Same deal as Night Owl, I imagine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

what in the WORLD is that from and where can I purchase it

Youngblood: Bloodsport

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alaois posted:

Wait seriously, I've been thinking it's mill-are this whole time lol

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

site posted:

Wait seriously, I've been thinking it's mill-are this whole time lol

That's how I've always heard it pronounced by people in the comics industry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alaois posted:

Hey, don't forget well know complete idiot Mike S Millar

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only good Miller was Dick Miller.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Keeshhound posted:

Because Redhead Cyclops there would punch everyone out with his eyebeams if he didn't, duh.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Would you prefer the mask on, or off?

Too bad.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also, it's not actually Cyclops and Wolverine. It's just two two superheroes named Scott and Logan dressing up funny in an entirely different universe because Rob Liefeld.
A quick google suggests that Millar wasn't involved with Youngbloods until the 2000s, so if that's from the original run it's 100% Liefeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elfface posted:

Also, it's not actually Cyclops and Wolverine.

"Actually" doing a lot of strange work in this sentence.