Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well looks like I'm ordering EDF:IR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Is Iron Rain digital only or is it getting a physical release?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BrownieVK posted:

Is Iron Rain digital only or is it getting a physical release?

Digital only for EU at least

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Just read this article while looking for new details on the upcoming Iron Rain game:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/02/20/10-reasons-why-this-spinoff-could-be-what-the-series-needs

I have a few thoughts on the article and EDF in general, but it can mostly be summed up by saying that while I love the goofy, silly nature of the series, I definitely think that it could use a little polishing. EDFs 4.1 and 5 were both major steps in the right direction, especially with the overhauled upgrade system in 5, but I'm still not in love with picking up duplicate items.

It just feels slightly different, is all. For example, the giant ants don’t seem as fixated on charging at the player and biting them as they were in EDF 5. They’ll still do it, but not to the same, aggravating degree.

This sounds like it might rub off a little of the roughness of previous EDF games, which could be great or terrible. One of my favorite parts of playing these games is the tense high-wire balance of almost being overwhelmed by enemies, backpedaling as fast as you can while spraying bullets at a mass of enemies without even aiming. This can definitely slip into frustrating territory, but I think that the way 4.1 and 5 managed this on Hard difficulty was the sweet spot. I'm hoping that the higher difficulties are toned down just a little bit, where careful play is a little more rewarded. As it is now, I feel that goofy glass-cannon strategies are part of the fun of the series, but I wouldn't mind a more methodical approach being viable.

Instead, enemies now drop energy gems. Different types drop different gems, which are then used to craft specific weapons. In other words, you’re not as beholden to the random-number generator as you may have been in the past. If you don’t use shotguns, you won’t be disappointed to learn at level completion that the crates you picked up were filled to the brim with those unwanted weapon types. Instead, you get blueprints for new weapons, and you choose whether you want to devote your resources to unlocking them.

I've been wanting something like this from EDF since EDF2017. Obviously it's going to be a balancing act, but I can envision scenarios both where resource requirements are so high that the game becomes extremely grindy, or that they're low enough that you can get a genocide gun from playing one easy mission over and over. Hopefully They'll strick the right balance. Maybe having difficulty-locked gems, so you can't just craft top-tier weapons by farming easy/normal missions. Having said that, one of the things I love about this series is getting a powerful gun that isn't just a direct upgrade of what I was using before, making me try out weirder weapons out of necessity. I do worry a little bit about my natural tendency to gravitate towards the most straightforward weapons, so I hope that there's an incentive to trying out a variety of options, without limiting yourself by spreading your resources too thin.

The coolest new addition has to be the Prowl Rider. This character uses grappling hooks to propel himself across the world in what is, let’s be real here, an homage to Spider-Man. It’s great. Better still, the new class uses experimental tech to bring captured (and hopefully tamed) bugs to fight for humanity. You can equip ants, spiders, scorpions, and more to come in and wreck stuff on your behalf.

Every other class in this game has a direct analogue to the previous classes, but this one seems to be replacing Air Raider, which my favorite class to play. I'm a little disappointed that there won't be an AR in this game, but the new class sounds wild and weird, and I'm excited to try it out. Hopefully it'll be more viable for solo play than AR was.

Iron Rain is overhauling weapons and support equipment entirely. Now, every class can use every unlocked weapon. If you want your Trooper to be able to bring automated turrets into battle and call down airstrikes, more power to you. Each class has an encumbrance to consider, so they may not be able to pack as much in their virtual suitcases, but players will at least be able to design their own loadouts with much greater flexibility.

I'm maybe most excited about this change. I'm looking forward to seeing the weirdest builds and combinations.

All in all most of the changes listed in the article sound like improvements that I wanted from this series without sanding off the goofy fun that I love this series for. The character customization especially it something I've wanted from an EDF game for a long time, and hopefully the new developer manages to walk the fine line between a bite-sized budget and surprising quality that EDF is known for. I could definitely see this becoming another Insect Armageddon (which I still had a good time with, despite its mediocrity), but I remain optimistic that it'll scratch that EDF itch. April 11 can't come fast enough.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"We gave the Air Raider's airstrikes to every class and gave them a grapple hook and the ability to call in enemy mounts and also we got rid of the silly lotto weapons system"

Me: hell yeah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mounts instead of vehicles is a nice way to change how most vehicles can't handle any slightly difficult terrain. vehicles are still cooler, though.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm pretty sure you can still get vehicles, there just isn't a class dedicated to then now

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110177/edf-iron-rain-hands-on-preview-heavy-metal

quote:

While there's no Air Raider class that allows you to call in health boosts or vehicles, Iron Rain will include a new equipable item system that allows players to pick and choose a series of items to use on missions. Each item has a point value and players have a point cap to keep loadouts from being too overpowered. So maybe a player can call in a tank or mech walker to do some extra damage, but that may mean not being able to bring any health or attack boosts along for the fight.

Weapons are no longer tied to specific character classes and there's no more picking up items like weapons and armor on the battlefield. Instead of boxes of contraband, players will now accrue several types of currency. Along with your standard “gold coin” money, there are blue, yellow, and red gems to collect. Everything including weapons, accessories, and vehicles are now purchased in-between missions and each can cost any combination of the four currencies. It was nice to be able to customize my loadout in a way that wasn’t just working with whatever random weapons I’d unlocked.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes they've said that all the Air Raider "weapon" stuff" (airstrikes, lasers, missiles) can be equipped by anyone. Yes, your wing diver can now throw an airstrike at their feet and then jet out of the area of effect and watch ants fly everywhere. Heck yeah!

edit: here's a vid where you can see the "new" Air Raider, who uses a grapple and an anime sword and rides around on a big blue scorpion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaSrv1ad7E

btw Grenades are on the left bumper now, they aren't a full on weapon.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 9, 2019

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

SoR Blaze posted:

Just read this article while looking for new details on the upcoming Iron Rain game:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2019/02/20/10-reasons-why-this-spinoff-could-be-what-the-series-needs

I was trying to maintain a level of cautious optimism at best about the game (especially after some faulty reporting from Kotaku), but the more I see and read about the game, the more I agree with this post and feel like this is the exact kind of reboot the game needs. On paper, it seems to solve every criticism I have for EDF.

...can't be any worse than insect armageddon, right?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Until we know it actually has an ending and we fight the big mothership and not just watch it fly away in the outro I'm not 100% convinced.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah there's a thousand ways they could screw it up, but the changes they're making seem to point to the notion that the new dev at least understands the magic of the series. But really, even something as finicky as drop rates or weapon balancing or gunfeel being off could tank my enjoyment of the game. I'm pretty hopeful that it turns out ok, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if something just felt "off" about it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mounts instead of vehicles is a nice way to change how most vehicles can't handle any slightly difficult terrain. vehicles are still cooler, though.

are you suggesting free bike mad custom mk2 extreme edition is not able to handle even tiny bumps????

how dare you

The first time a player tries to ride one of those stupid things is a magical experience. Drives faster than the camera can keep up, hit a bump, go flying off the map and get stuck/killed

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Feelin' optomistic about Iron Rain enough to drop £50 on the preorder. Feels weird to have a (potentially good???) New EDF out so soon after 5.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My biggest thing is that I haven't seen big framerate destroying swarms. That's all I ask. Everything else looks really tight and exactly what I would want.

It is very interesting that the streamers/reviewers are not allowed to discuss certain things, and that a couple of them have hinted there's a big change up later in the game. My theory is fighting the evil EDF.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 10, 2019

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

the "new" Air Raider, who uses a grapple and an anime sword and rides around on a big blue scorpion

:torygov: YESSSSS

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Somebody tell me that this game (Iron Rain) is good.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

RoyalScion posted:

Somebody tell me that this game (Iron Rain) is good.

There are only two reviews on metacritic at the moment, both by unknown (to me) game sites, one of which couldn't even bother proofreading the first sentence of their review. Siliconera is livestreaming it right now on twitch. Link

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 10, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a breakdown of the classes for my thread friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ04_ZXq3go

The dude is a bit low energy but there's a lot of good info.

Takeaway:

Trooper is now Air Raider + Trooper. Can call in vehicles, but FYI those vehicles cost the money you earn during the levels so use them sparingly!
Jet Lifter is classic Wing Diver
Heavy Striker seems like the Fencer, but a bit dumbed down. They auto-dual wield all weapons you equip. No more hammer + shield :( They have an energy meter that they can use to either jet around the map or throw up a damage-reduction shield
Prowl Rider is a grapple monster with an element of mobility skill. He has less item capacity than the Trooper.

There are all variants that unlock later, but the host claims their core gameplay remains the same.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
D3 Publisher also uploaded a new video from PAX. I really hope EDF 5 and Iron Rain come to PC this year!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ooh, boy. there's a big problem with iron rain, as shown on that stream. dead enemies block bullets! they don't ragdoll, they just serve as impermeable barriers to your bullets.

edit: no, they do kind of ragdoll. but they have lots of weight and are barely moved by bullets.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Isn't that normal? Maybe just for big enemies. One of my favorite ways to fight froglikes in 5 was to use the bodies of their deceased friends as cover while shooting through them with penetrating shotguns

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Isn't that normal? Maybe just for big enemies. One of my favorite ways to fight froglikes in 5 was to use the bodies of their deceased friends as cover while shooting through them with penetrating shotguns

this was a normal spider.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought that was normal also

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
does this unlock at midnight?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a breakdown of the classes for my thread friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ04_ZXq3go

The dude is a bit low energy but there's a lot of good info.

Takeaway:

Trooper is now Air Raider + Trooper. Can call in vehicles, but FYI those vehicles cost the money you earn during the levels so use them sparingly!
Jet Lifter is classic Wing Diver
Heavy Striker seems like the Fencer, but a bit dumbed down. They auto-dual wield all weapons you equip. No more hammer + shield :( They have an energy meter that they can use to either jet around the map or throw up a damage-reduction shield
Prowl Rider is a grapple monster with an element of mobility skill. He has less item capacity than the Trooper.

There are all variants that unlock later, but the host claims their core gameplay remains the same.
General Impressions of the changes:

Trooper- Ranger plus Wing Diver Dodge with access to vehicles and strikes. Highest weapon capacity makes this look like a more mobile mash up of the Ranger and Air Raider. Looks like you have to unlock the other classes so I'm glad it definitely looks objectively better than any previous Ranger class in the series. I approve.

Jet Lifter- Ugh, classic Wing Diver isn't very appealing after the really cool dodge move they added in EDF5, so this looks like a step back in many ways. I won't miss the abundance of charging weapons but the lack of unique weapons that interact with the energy pool feels like a let down. Having the Emergency punish the player with an extra long recharge time doesn't sound very fun, but may not be so bad now that reloads aren't affected by it. I'm a Wing Diver main so this looks pretty disappointing. not a fan.

Heavy Striker- why doesn't this class have the highest weapon capacity? Dual Wielding changes look bad, shield power looks useful I guess? Obviously designed to be a bit more accessible, but the slow reload and recovery animation feel like a poor attempt to make the class feel distinct where previous games used unique weaponry and mechanics to much greater success. Overall the non-Trooper returning classes look like they don't quite mesh with the new design philosophy as they can't implement their own unique equipment mechanics when every class can use every weapon. a solid hmmm from me.

Prowl Rider- okay this looks pretty boss. Now hoping that EDF6 combines Ranger/Air Raider and makes this the new 4th class. I heard the grappling hook mentioned before but I didn't realise it's basically the 3d maneuver gear from Attack on Titan, which makes a huge amount of sense in a game about fighting giant robots/monsters. Can't wait to play this one.

Not being so tied to one class is definitely an interesting design choice, and that might pay off and render my initial observations irrelevant, but it sucks that the 2 most unique classes now look like basic variations on the Trooper. I've always thought the Air Raider felt like a superfluous Ranger offshoot so I'm down with everyone having access to that cool stuff, however. It's also extremely good that the Prowl Rider looks like it's actually bringing something new to the table a least.

looking forward to splitscreen fun tomorrow!

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

ooh, boy. there's a big problem with iron rain, as shown on that stream. dead enemies block bullets! they don't ragdoll, they just serve as impermeable barriers to your bullets.

edit: no, they do kind of ragdoll. but they have lots of weight and are barely moved by bullets.

This is one of the intangible bits I mentioned earlier as being something that can really screw up an EDF game, but IIRC, playing with weaker weapons like those you'd obtain in Normal mode in EDF5 didn't have a lot of force behind them to move corpses, and I think the explosives took a lot more shots to down a building with. I didn't check out the video but hopefully that's the case and Harder/Inferno weapons will sweep the streets clean like other EDF games.

edit: Glad to see that the Jet Lifter no longer has the terrible outfit the Wing Diver has.

One Final Edit: I hope that mission progress is shared between offline and online modes, and that weapon and armor restrictions can be disabled from the start, as both of those were my main barriers to ever really playing EDF 4.1 or 5 online. Is anyone planning on setting up a Discord for this game to make grouping easier?

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 11, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

this was a normal spider.
While most weapons do have that issue, I don't want to go back from EDF5 shotguns finally murdering a spider and the five spiders behind them :saddowns:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bought this game drat i hope it's good

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh poo poo totally forgot this was out today. So in

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I played a little bit tonight, and it's hard to draw impressions from it so far. I'm kind of getting Insect Armageddon vibes from it, but in a good way. I think it's the UI maybe. One thing I'm a little unclear on is that it makes you choose a difficulty when you start a game and not per-mission, so I'm left wondering if you can get better rewards for playing on a higher difficulty. My guess is no. I really like the weird world-building they're doing, with corporations owning the EDF and people struggling to pay their rent with energy gems. I think I heard some cutscene dialogue that the EDF only protects high priority saftey zones. I'm interested to see more.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Game feels pretty dope so far

Loading times are bad on a base ps4, framerate is kind of all over the place. Doesn't ruin the gameplay, at least not yet (still in early missions)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

There are only two reviews on metacritic at the moment, both by unknown (to me) game sites, one of which couldn't even bother proofreading the first sentence of their review. Siliconera is livestreaming it right now on twitch. Link

The Siliconera stream sure makes it feel like the writers and voiceovers skipped the amusing cheese of the normal EDF games for some kind of semiserious tone.
Gameplay looks ok, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Stayed up late to play. Got through 10 missions. It starts reeeeally slow but now it's doing Real EDF poo poo. Enjoying most of the changes. Game is not serious at all but they did remove some overt goofiness but you can do stuff like put a miniskirt on your male character (clothes not gender locked) . Framerate absolutely destroyed during one hectic fight which is a good thing. More later.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 11, 2019

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I'm looking at videos of Iron Rain, the low field of view makes everything look gigantic and I kinda like it. The graphics are nice but from what I've seen, I think that's why it doesn't have the usual EDF levels of crazy. There's a lot of big enemies, but it seems like there's more focus on fighting smaller groups rather than like 50+ at once. Maybe it picks up later in, I've only seen up to mission 25

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can actually switch the field of view to the more classic EDF look. It's an option in the menus.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I've read a few reviews of this game and the impression I'm getting is that this is something of a B-tier EDF game. The consensus seems to be that it's overall pretty fun, but it lacks the overall huge numbers of enemies, and that the mission count is about half of a "numbered EDF game", so I'm guessing about 50-60 missions maybe. I did learn that playing on harder difficulties unlocks stronger weapon licenses, and that the most wild stuff doesn't start showing up until Hard/Hardest/Disaster. I'll withhold my personal judgement until playing it a little more, but it's sounding like "better than IA, not as good as a mainline title", which were pretty much my expectations for this game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Do i need the full download to access splitscreen multiplayer? I can't work out how to add a second player.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Iron Rain good?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I've played a few missions. B-tier EDF seems like a good way to describe it so far. Everything looks familiar but it just doesn't feel quite right. Also there's a lot less bugs but if they swarm you, they'll gently caress you up pretty quick for it only being on normal difficulty.

Wing Diver seems real bad sadly. Their weapons not using jump pack juice really takes out the fun management out of the Diver from the other games, also you only have two controller schemes and one is okay for Wing Diver and none are okay for the Ranger (I need jump on a L trigger damnit).

Playing dressup is good though and the best part of buying this game so far, finally wing divers with pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's too early to tell. It started slow, I've had a couple of missions that started to come together but then they ended.

I suspect that this is going to come out a lot better than Insect Armageddon but a little worse than EDF 4.1. I really do like most of the changes they've made. I was sick of weapon lootboxing and armor grinding and I'm glad it's gone.