Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

You could just admit he was wrong.

Yeah, everyone knows WW2 started in 1941.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

You could just admit he was wrong.

They're only wrong on a technicality, similar to how Russia's annexation of Crimea and later proxy invasion of Ukraine as a whole are technically different conflicts on paper, but part of the same broader campaign of territorial aggression on the part of one belligerent party.

But on another technicality, Zhang Chongren did live through WW2 and the accuracy of the statement has very little to do with the actual timing of the war. That he also had a valid reason for anti-Japanese sentiment from their invasions and abuses of China prior to WW2 is, technically, a separate matter as to whether he also had a reason to maintain that antipathy after.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wish Kirby was still with us, just so I could hear the story about what happened when he met the ComicsGate crew.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

I wish Kirby was still with us, just so I could hear the story about what happened when he met the ComicsGate crew.

And funnily enough part of the reason EVS is so slow is all that unnecessary detail he puts on his stuff. It adds nothing to it. You can tell he came up in the 90's.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

And funnily enough part of the reason EVS is so slow is all that unnecessary detail he puts on his stuff. It adds nothing to it. You can tell he came up in the 90's.

It's also not even interesting detail like, say, Geof Darrow, Frank Quitely, or James Stokoe create.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FMguru posted:

Man, just think of how much better Kirby's art would have been if he'd cross-hatched ten thousand tiny lines in every panel.

Maybe I'm not enough of art person to know what's meant by 'detailed' but one of the things about Kirby's art, at least to me, is all that machinery and background and texture, like for example:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

fritz posted:

Maybe I'm not enough of art person to know what's meant by 'detailed' but one of the things about Kirby's art, at least to me, is all that machinery and background and texture, like for example:

Yeah, but approximately how much of his art is about sticking it to the libs? You gotta think about the whole picture here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

fritz posted:

Kirby did this is a cave...with scraps!

What I mean is, Kirby put this much detail and coloring work into the book in a small office while doing 15 other books without any digital assitance.

EVS can't do 1 book with way more budget, time, and digital tools.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So one of the... eh, I guess he's a B-list ComicsGate clown, That Umbrella Guy* spent the day yesterday having a massive freakout over Renfamous being in a comics anthology with no experience while he launched his own IndieGogo about his own comic (with no experience). That's not even the funny part, though. Check out the mask of his lead character:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-case-of-the-littlest-umbrella#/

Should somebody alert Capcom's legal department now or wait?

*Warning sign number one: never trust anybody whose handle is still a Channel Awesome reference.,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Kirby did this is a cave...with scraps!

What I mean is, Kirby put this much detail and coloring work into the book in a small office while doing 15 other books without any digital assitance.

EVS can't do 1 book with way more budget, time, and digital tools.

I don't think he was doing 15 other books when he was doing Eternals.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dawgstar posted:

So one of the... eh, I guess he's a B-list ComicsGate clown, That Umbrella Guy* spent the day yesterday having a massive freakout over Renfamous being in a comics anthology with no experience while he launched his own IndieGogo about his own comic (with no experience). That's not even the funny part, though. Check out the mask of his lead character:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-case-of-the-littlest-umbrella#/

Should somebody alert Capcom's legal department now or wait?

*Warning sign number one: never trust anybody whose handle is still a Channel Awesome reference.,

So it's a comic about Resident Evil Rorschach?

Edit:
Ah it's a self-insert Gary Stu Resident Evil Rorschach gotcha

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 11, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he was doing 15 other books when he was doing Eternals.
I don't think he was ever actually doing 15 books but yeah, by then he was in his early 60s and slowing down. He was only doing three monthly books (Captain America, Eternals, 2001) at the time that spread was produced.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
“only”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EVS hates Star Wars so much he paid at least $75 plus travel expenses to go Star Wars Celebration and complain about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

EVS hates Star Wars so much he paid at least $75 plus travel expenses to go Star Wars Celebration and complain about it.

Of course he did.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Is there a cool German word for sad but also frustrating BUT also hilarious?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dreqqus posted:

Is there a cool German word for sad but also frustrating BUT also hilarious?

Alexander Pope has you covered with "bathos."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

Alexander Pope has you covered with "bathos."

From the wiki

quote:

"Moviemakers talk about "bad laughs." That's when the audience laughs when it's not supposed to. This is conceivably the first movie which is in its entirety a bad laugh."

— Roger Ebert, The Hindenburg(1975)[5]

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MarkSZaidEsq/status/1117974125698531328

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love this dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I still refuse to believe that Mark Zaid is not Mark Waid in a fake mustache.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I still refuse to believe that Mark Zaid is not Mark Waid in a fake mustache.

This could be true and I'd still believe he knew more about law than Nick Rekieta.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 16, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You know, if all the comic gaters who said you should see Alita instead of Captain Marvel actually went and saw Alita we might've got a sequel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

You know, if all the comic gaters who said you should see Alita instead of Captain Marvel actually went and saw Alita we might've got a sequel.

No they did go see it and theaters colluded with Disney and processed the ticket sales as Captain Marvel tickets.

YES, this is what they have claimed.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That is AMAZING.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I guess they must have also had an insider who whispered in James Cameron's ear to cram the first six hundred pages of the manga into an two hour movie and mash characters from even later chapters into it haphazardly. Curse those meddling SJW's!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I think you vastly overestimate how many CGers there actually are.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ryonguy posted:

I guess they must have also had an insider who whispered in James Cameron's ear to cram the first six hundred pages of the manga into an two hour movie and mash characters from even later chapters into it haphazardly. Curse those meddling SJW's!

The movie is actually better than the manga and the changes made a lot of sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The movie isn’t better than the manga. Honestly it isn’t even a very good movie. It’s not like bad but it runs into the problem most adaptations do

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

The movie is actually better than the manga and the changes made a lot of sense.

You know, there's being contrary for :goonsay:-sake and then there's just being the biggest moron possible.

Nobody is going to remember it was even a thing a year from now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ryonguy posted:

You know, there's being contrary for :goonsay:-sake and then there's just being the biggest moron possible.

Probably not. But no one knew what the manga was either and it's been around for decades. It's also hundreds of issues long and went for a long, long time. Condensing and cutting stuff is how adaptation works, and doing a strict 1:1 translation of the source would not have worked at all as a movie.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ryonguy posted:

love seeing people with Strong Opinions about Battle Angel Alita break out the :goonsay:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed the battle angel alita movie, fwiw.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fangz posted:

I enjoyed the battle angel alita movie, fwiw.

It’s a fun movie but it’s extremely flawed and doesn’t really do the source material justice.

Granted I’m not sure how it could. It’s to nitche for like a trilogy so they did the best they could with what they had

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comicsgate having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/RenfamousX/status/1118677154768859138

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The bullshit that rear end in a top hat has been putting Renfamous through over the past week has been absolutely loving ridiculous.

(Accused her of doxxing him and threatening his family, getting his followers riled up and believing it, and then getting them to ACTUALLY doxx Ren and her family and make threats towards them.)

The dude is legit mentally unwell and something needs to be done about him before he gets someone hurt for real.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah this has actually been getting pretty dark and twisted. That picture of him holding her skull is loving bananas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Look, that's not a drawing of a decapitated Renfamous in the last picture, it's just a skull with a blue wig.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I... what the hell is he saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ElSandifer/status/1118681031446495235