Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sincx posted:

Or... you know... you can just have the linear motors directly move the train

Fun fact: the prototype L0 actually has two turboshaft-powered generators onboard to generate electric power for propulsion, so technically it's a gas-turbine multiple unit. The production version will get power via induction coils in the trackway.

The scale of that photo hurts my brain.

Also, L0 is a dumb name for a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

VictualSquid posted:

I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.

Yep, that's the future I want to live in. :kiss:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

~Coxy posted:

Yep, that's the future I want to live in. :kiss:

Do you need said trains to be full-scale and rideable?...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.

How could anyone look at this and not think "Hey lads how's about we put the loving motor on the axle next time eh?"

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

How could anyone look at this and not think "Hey lads how's about we put the loving motor on the axle next time eh?"

Pretty sure a big part of why they did that was the motors were rather inefficient and as such had to be huge to put out the required amount of power. I mean look at the size of those things.

What I don't get is why they kept using side rods instead of gearing them directly to the axles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What I don't get is why they kept using side rods instead of gearing them directly to the axles.

Haven't you heard of a little thing called class? :wotwot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When you already have a steam locomotive chassis, every problem starts looking like a tie-rod.

Or something. :v:

It’s worth noting that the first steam-turbine ships (including HMS Dreadnought, a 20,000 ton battleship,) had to be direct-drive from the turbine, because large gear reduction sets were developed later. Big gear sets are much harder to make than big power.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Actually thinking about this further I have a theory. Since each motor drives multiple axles they couldn't mount them rigidly to the axles like modern locomotives. I'll bet side rods were just an easier way to link a chassis mounted motor to a sprung axle than direct gearing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

IIRC there was some plan to design a modern steam locomotive that burns biowaste fuel. It would just use a steam turbine to power traction motors and wouldn't look much different from a diesel. Probably stinkier.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FuturePastNow posted:

IIRC there was some plan to design a modern steam locomotive that burns biowaste fuel. It would just use a steam turbine to power traction motors and wouldn't look much different from a diesel. Probably stinkier.

https://csrail.org/3463

https://csrail.org/

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

rail is already so much more fuel efficient than trucks and lower polluting than steamships that i dont see how this is remotely viable. increasing crew size, which i guess this would require, and increasing maintenance requirements, which this seems like it would, is a non-starter in this environment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's got a lot of goals. They're claiming that diesel has kind of hit its limits for speed, but steam was able to go very fast and we haven't pushed that technology to the edge yet. Additionally they want to use biomass which would be a renewable carbon neutral/negative and therefore much better for the environment than diesel or coal or fuel oil.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Wasn't there some report on converting diesel into biogas/natural gas locos and they concluded that they were too explody with how rarely companies do maintenance on engines?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I thought the future was electric locos with distributed solar/hydro/whatever power sources anyway.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

FISHMANPET posted:

It's got a lot of goals. They're claiming that diesel has kind of hit its limits for speed, but steam was able to go very fast and we haven't pushed that technology to the edge yet. Additionally they want to use biomass which would be a renewable carbon neutral/negative and therefore much better for the environment than diesel or coal or fuel oil.

the limiting factor for the speed of american freight isn't the fuel source. how the network is organized(quality of planning) and how well its run(adherence to plan, track maintenance, crew avail, power avail) seem to matter a lot more.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well their goal is looking in the passenger space, not freight.

It looks like things have changed since they first started trying to adapt the Santa Fe locomotive, but the original impetus of the project was this article from Trains written in the 70s: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta..._Locomotive.pdf
It sounds like the claim is that there was about to be a revolution in steam technology before the move to steam, and their aim is for higher speed intercity rail. Part of the idea I think is that electrification might be too expensive for a lot of routes in the US, but that a modern steam locomotive could operate at similar speeds to electric trains at similar operating costs.

On top of all that, they're also looking at carbon neutral fuels, to reduce the carbon impact of what steam traction would additionally require. It looks like since then they've used their biomass in some narrow gauge steam engines, and they've also gotten grants to build some stationary steam engines using their modern technology.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ding ding ding

Old W class trams are finally getting out of storage after being sold to people and schools and towns.

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1115531853912391681?s=19

A few still exist on the network on tourist routes and as the restraunt trams.
https://youtu.be/WE9ZL7pMfrk

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 9, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drunkill posted:

Ding ding ding

Old W class trams are finally getting out of storage after being sold to people and schools and towns.

A few still exist on the network on tourist routes and as the restaurant trams.
https://youtu.be/WE9ZL7pMfrk

Just to clarify, are at least some getting restored to service or are they mostly just inoperative shells going to private homes, collectors, and preservation groups at this point?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

I think the point was that claims of steam increasing speeds are silly when the main limiting factors on passenger rail speed in the US have nothing to do with what fuel makes the locomotive go.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

It looks like things have changed since they first started trying to adapt the Santa Fe locomotive, but the original impetus of the project was this article from Trains written in the 70s: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta..._Locomotive.pdf
It sounds like the claim is that there was about to be a revolution in steam technology before the move to steam, and their aim is for higher speed intercity rail. Part of the idea I think is that electrification might be too expensive for a lot of routes in the US, but that a modern steam locomotive could operate at similar speeds to electric trains at similar operating costs.

On top of all that, they're also looking at carbon neutral fuels, to reduce the carbon impact of what steam traction would additionally require. It looks like since then they've used their biomass in some narrow gauge steam engines, and they've also gotten grants to build some stationary steam engines using their modern technology.

It's an interesting article and I can believe that steam could be more powerful and efficient than diesel with the help of modern technology, but some of what they're saying doesn't make sense.

If you look at appendix 1 where they go into details on cost analysis, they claim most of the savings on steam would come from maintenance and repair. This seems ridiculous to me as the technological improvements they tout as the primary reason why steam would have an advantage over diesel are mostly concerned with efficiency and power output. Maybe this is a case of common knowledge being wrong, but my understanding was always that the primary driver behind the conversion to diesel was downtime and maintenance costs. They also mention $400m for "facilities" for diesel, with no cost for steam. Steam locomotives need water towers, coaling towers, turntables, ash pits, etc. How does that equation work?

I'd love to see steam back in use as mainline power, and maybe it could be made more efficient than diesel, but the biofuels angle is probably the most important part of their argument, because nobody (outside of the Republican party) is going to get behind putting thousands of coal burning locomotives into service these days.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wolrah posted:

I think the point was that claims of steam increasing speeds are silly when the main limiting factors on passenger rail speed in the US have nothing to do with what fuel makes the locomotive go.

I think that's largely based upon power output. The old adage is a steam locomotive can pull a train at speed which it can't start, and a diesel can start a train that it can't pull at speed. It's easier to get very high horsepower out of steam, and it's easier to get very high tractive effort out of diesel. The PRR T1's were known to maintain speeds of 110-120 mph on some sections of their routes, and that wasn't particularly unusual for the time. With modern technological improvements steam could be a way to create monster horsepower locomotives for high speed passenger travel without the expense of electrification. Of course that doesn't solve the problem of the track infrastructure necessary to support those speeds.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

drunkill posted:

Ding ding ding

Why does that green and yellow/beige colour scheme seem so common with trams? The older and newest generation of trams in Helsinki use exactly the same colours and I think some japanese trams have the same colours.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Saukkis posted:

Why does that green and yellow/beige colour scheme seem so common with trams? The older and newest generation of trams in Helsinki use exactly the same colours and I think some japanese trams have the same colours.

That was the colour scheme for the Melbourne Public transport system during the 80s and 90s

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just to clarify, are at least some getting restored to service or are they mostly just inoperative shells going to private homes, collectors, and preservation groups at this point?

These are the real old unupgraded ones.

They restored 30 or so about 15 years ago to remove asbestos and put modern brakes on em etc. Those will remain for use, the ones being sold off dont work anymore and were retired in the 90s but not a scrapped.

Some of the upgraded ones made it overseas, theres a few in San Fransisco and New Orleans afaik.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Saukkis posted:

I remember seeing some photos of Helsinki trams and was 100% sure I recognised where they were until I looked at the street signs and realised they were definitely not in Melbourne.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

drunkill posted:

These are the real old unupgraded ones.

They restored 30 or so about 15 years ago to remove asbestos and put modern brakes on em etc. Those will remain for use, the ones being sold off dont work anymore and were retired in the 90s but not a scrapped.

Some of the upgraded ones made it overseas, theres a few in San Fransisco and New Orleans afaik.

Aside from museum operations, San Francisco, Memphis, and Dallas operate Melbourne trams. I used to operate one and it was easily the best car in the fleet.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

It's an interesting article and I can believe that steam could be more powerful and efficient than diesel with the help of modern technology, but some of what they're saying doesn't make sense.

If you look at appendix 1 where they go into details on cost analysis, they claim most of the savings on steam would come from maintenance and repair. This seems ridiculous to me as the technological improvements they tout as the primary reason why steam would have an advantage over diesel are mostly concerned with efficiency and power output. Maybe this is a case of common knowledge being wrong, but my understanding was always that the primary driver behind the conversion to diesel was downtime and maintenance costs. They also mention $400m for "facilities" for diesel, with no cost for steam. Steam locomotives need water towers, coaling towers, turntables, ash pits, etc. How does that equation work?

I'd love to see steam back in use as mainline power, and maybe it could be made more efficient than diesel, but the biofuels angle is probably the most important part of their argument, because nobody (outside of the Republican party) is going to get behind putting thousands of coal burning locomotives into service these days.

I actually looked into this a bit because I thought exactly the same thing you did. I think there's a bunch of handwaving and "this technology (that's untested and unproven) will solve this problem!" going on with the pro-steam side.

This presentation goes over some of the tech they expect will save steam: https://www.advanced-steam.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/John-Rhodes-Coal-Presentation.pdf. According to that presentation, new tech can reduce lubrication to once every 30 days, boiler blowdowns to once every 60 days, and other improvements. While impressive (assuming it's possible), that still doesn't match diesels being able to go 180+ days without any maintenance at all. Likewise the presentation points out how much cheaper coal and water is compared to diesel, but doesn't even mention how much more manpower is involved with handling coal and water, manning the refilling facilities, etc.

That said, there is a case study of a proposed short route at a coal mine in Indonesia where they make a good case that steam may be better than diesel: https://www.advanced-steam.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Chris_Newman_York_Conference_Presentation.pdf. However, that's literally a best case scenario where the fuel is basically made onsite, labor is cheap, and pollution isn't a consideration.

Overall the goal seems less about solving problems for railways and more about bringing steam back, which is a cool thought, but not really feasible.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember seeing some photos of Helsinki trams and was 100% sure I recognised where they were until I looked at the street signs and realised they were definitely not in Melbourne.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki have the same colour scheme. Others like Toyama and Kumamoto use the same colours but different scheme. Then some have slightly different shade of yellow. Blackpool had double-decker trams in these colours! There are all sorts of colour schemes for trams, but this is the one that is shared widely. Was it used by the world's oldest tram line or something?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If we're going to bring steam back, gently caress it, we might as well use fission to heat the water instead of coal.

No?

Ok.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Hiroshima and Nagasaki have the same colour scheme. Others like Toyama and Kumamoto use the same colours but different scheme. Then some have slightly different shade of yellow. Blackpool had double-decker trams in these colours! There are all sorts of colour schemes for trams, but this is the one that is shared widely. Was it used by the world's oldest tram line or something?

I honestly have no clue. Maybe cream and green are the cheapest paints to make that aren't pure white? It seems that cream and maroon was the more popular variety in the US, having been used (and still used) by several companies.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iospace posted:

If we're going to bring steam back, gently caress it, we might as well use fission to heat the water instead of coal.

No?

Yes! Fission powered PRR T1 please!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Now this I can get behind. Maybe a primary coolant loop of liquid metal too, because gently caress yeah.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

iospace posted:

No?

Ok.

They did design that! There's an article a few pages back about it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's also the fairly popular fission/electric method, where you keep the operators safe by putting the reactor (and indeed the turbines and generators) in a large stationary building a safe distance from the train.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Computer viking posted:

There's also the fairly popular fission/electric method, where you keep the operators safe by putting the reactor (and indeed the turbines and generators) in a large stationary building a safe distance from the train.

How is that supposed to work when the world freezes and all that still exists is one train?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Speaking of steam turbine locomotives, they have existed but most were apparently terrible boondoggles and didn't really work. There were a few that did work (mostly because they dispensed with most of the fancy bells and whistles) and were used in service, and apparently the only preserved steam turbine locomotives in the world are here in Sweden, and they're currently restoring one of the three survivors to running condition (it has been running in museum service before, but was last run in the 1990's, I believe).

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't know exactly why they did it like that but it seems to have been relatively common and it lasted for a long time. Check this thing out:

This is a SJ Dm3, which is essentially three D-series locomotives (although with an extra driving wheel axle each) permanently coupled together. Two engines (one per side) and eight driving wheels (four per side) per unit, but the engine isn't directly connected to the axles, instead it's in between the driving wheel axles and connected with tie rods. The design goes back to the 1920's (the SJ D-series electrics) but these heavy variants for iron ore trains are an updated model from the 1960's. The last ones were retired as late as in 2011 (!).

e: I may actually have found a reason for the tie rods - apparently it was hard to make a gearbox that was durable enough to handle the torque.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 11, 2019

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Dm3 are 3 Dm built into one unit and Dm is just an updated Da which used axle mounted engines. Iirc they were actually in use until 2013 but not in regular traffic, just as last resort backup.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Computer viking posted:

Well if you're going to do that but want to have a less dense fuel source, you may as well put a diesel motor on wheels that the train can tow to make electricity? Or maybe have it built into it some way?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Klaus Kinski posted:

Dm3 are 3 Dm built into one unit and Dm is just an updated Da which used axle mounted engines. Iirc they were actually in use until 2013 but not in regular traffic, just as last resort backup.

If the engines are axle mounted, what is the thing in the middle then (between the drive wheel pairs)? I was absolutely sure that was the engine.

e: wait, okay, it's called a blind axle? I think I'm with you then - one engine per side (per sub-unit), in the middle, axle mounted, but there's no wheel on the axle. That right?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
One engine per axle. The explanation I got is that the rods are some sort of anti slippage? measure.

E: one engine per side*2 engines for the dm units may be right. I drove these things a few times and still have gently caress all idea how they work :haw:

https://www.svenska-lok.se/motor.php?s=20&litra=Dm&typenr=

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 12, 2019