Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Introducing my primary group to SotDL, and I'm going over Forbidden Rules. Are there any of them you guys use to ease play? I think the combat-as-zones revision makes sense, as we're used to FATE, but I don't know..

I would like there to be more actions in combat, but I suppose it's already very flexible as compared to D&D or warhams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tias posted:

Introducing my primary group to SotDL, and I'm going over Forbidden Rules. Are there any of them you guys use to ease play? I think the combat-as-zones revision makes sense, as we're used to FATE, but I don't know..

I would like there to be more actions in combat, but I suppose it's already very flexible as compared to D&D or warhams.

more actions as in "additional actions"/changing up the action economy entirely, or more actions as in further expansion of things like the "Melee Attack Options" on page 50 of the corebook/"Attack with an attribute" options on page 51/52? I feel like coverage for the latter is already fairly comprehensive while keeping the game rules-light-ish/fast to resolve (and provide an expandable framework if you really feel anything is missing), and for the former you can use the Fortune Points meta-currency option in Forbidden Rules

the Group Themes in DLC2 can also give groups/players more options

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tias posted:

The zones are good. I can't say much about the rest.

Be careful of DLC2, particularly the magic. Some of it is way unbalanced - such as Order.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! DLC2 is one of the few I haven't bought yet, but I'd like to use the zone movement because our group dislikes hexes and figures.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Rules question on trickery - to get the 1d6 bonus damage, do you have to have a net boon? Or if you hit with an attack that included the trickery boon but was net neutral or with a bane does that prevent the extra damage?

I was counting the extra damage because I always default to letting the players use their abilities, but am curious if that was the right call.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Giodo! posted:

Rules question on trickery - to get the 1d6 bonus damage, do you have to have a net boon? Or if you hit with an attack that included the trickery boon but was net neutral or with a bane does that prevent the extra damage?

I was counting the extra damage because I always default to letting the players use their abilities, but am curious if that was the right call.

So the text in question is:

pre:
Trickery Once per round, you can make an
attack roll or challenge roll with 1 boon.
If you attack with 1 boon from this
talent, your attack deals 1d6 extra
damage.
From that reading, it seems intended that you receive the bonus damage if you choose to spend your free boon on an attack roll.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Great, that makes sense.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

nah, you do need at least one net boon on the attack roll to get the bonus damage

https://plus.google.com/106991012215635310349/posts/YA45dKau4dz posted:

"In order to gain the extra damage from the Rogue Trickery talent, you must have the boon from the talent. You only count as having the boon for a roll if you actually roll the die. So, if you lose the boon from Rogue Trickery, you do not deal the extra damage."

"Trickery grants a boon to attack rolls and challenge rolls. Thus, outside of rounds, it’s assumed a rogue can use Trickery for any challenge roll. Rogues always have tricks up their sleeves."

its basically analogous to the traditional rogue/thief "backstab" where you need favorable circumstances to deal your best damage, its just abstracted and in a neutral situation you can always create that advantage for yourself via the talent

if you want to deal high damage without offsetting banes then you should play a Warrior - I don't think you need to feel bad for rogues since even in circumstances where they don't get the bonus damage they're still benefiting from the boon the talent provides and they're probably the individually strongest/most flexible base class anyway

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Ah, ok.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Space Force players survived their first interplanetary mission to enter the Master levels. we had some unavoidable absences last session so we did a little side mission against a Reen infestation, to let the players flex with their new toys and tricks. The sorcerer is getting a reputation with the kalasans as a reliable tactical nuclear device, the clockwork myrmidon can fly now, and the fawn moon priestess split into two and manifested magical angel wings in the big showdown fight with the seeker reen and its small army of drones.

Next full session, they're going to Vos.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Thinking about running an adventure (Dark Deeds) for my friends as a pitch for the game. We mostly play board games but we played RPGs a lot when we were younger. The system itself is really solid, which I have emphasized while glossing over the fact that the entire setting is covered in a thin layer of poo poo.

I'm also getting way ahead of myself, but I dug up my old copy of Chaositech, Monte Cook's grim and edgy offering from the early 2000s. The themes and motifs between SotDL and Chaositech line up really well and it gave me an idea for a Shadow, namely the discovery, manufacture and proliferation of corrupt technology, which starts to unravel reality. It might just start with an artifact being unearthed or a device invented. I imagine Rul would become a very strange place very quickly, with powerful (and poorly understood) tech overtaking and replacing the relatively primitive technologies that already exist. Demonic incursions might become more common, with armies employing Chaositech to destroy them in a vicious cycle.

I'm not far along with this, but it's an idea if anyone wants to add to it or use it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Strange Charm posted:

Thinking about running an adventure (Dark Deeds) for my friends as a pitch for the game. We mostly play board games but we played RPGs a lot when we were younger. The system itself is really solid, which I have emphasized while glossing over the fact that the entire setting is covered in a thin layer of poo poo.

I'm also getting way ahead of myself, but I dug up my old copy of Chaositech, Monte Cook's grim and edgy offering from the early 2000s. The themes and motifs between SotDL and Chaositech line up really well and it gave me an idea for a Shadow, namely the discovery, manufacture and proliferation of corrupt technology, which starts to unravel reality. It might just start with an artifact being unearthed or a device invented. I imagine Rul would become a very strange place very quickly, with powerful (and poorly understood) tech overtaking and replacing the relatively primitive technologies that already exist. Demonic incursions might become more common, with armies employing Chaositech to destroy them in a vicious cycle.

I'm not far along with this, but it's an idea if anyone wants to add to it or use it.

Since your group is primarily board game players, another RPG that would probably be fun to try would be Gamma World 7e, it even comes in a box with everything you need to play(except dice for some reason)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strange Charm posted:

you should look at the Godless supplement if you haven't already, it has a lot of modern and near-future technological devices

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

drrockso20 posted:

Since your group is primarily board game players, another RPG that would probably be fun to try would be Gamma World 7e, it even comes in a box with everything you need to play(except dice for some reason)

I've heard that a common reason for not including dice is because it can make the difference between it being treated as a book or a game for tax purposes, and you'd much rather be a book.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If I wanted to run to my FLGS during my lunch break and pick this up (thank you Shadow of the Beanstalk), what quick check as someone who knows little to nothing could I do to tell what printing I am looking at?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CitizenKeen posted:

If I wanted to run to my FLGS during my lunch break and pick this up (thank you Shadow of the Beanstalk), what quick check as someone who knows little to nothing could I do to tell what printing I am looking at?

They usually list printing in the section with all the copyright stuff at the front of the book

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm currently running a norse mythology campaign which, predictably, is seeing the characters travel through some grim frost weather. I've planned a couple of encounters on the way (such as the terrible Fossegrim fairy and an attack by wolves, one of which I've already exhausted), but other than that, just making them roll a strength check for exposure now and again doesn't seem to be so satisfying for them.

How do I add flavor to a trek from A to B through some rather identical threat?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tias posted:

I'm currently running a norse mythology campaign which, predictably, is seeing the characters travel through some grim frost weather. I've planned a couple of encounters on the way (such as the terrible Fossegrim fairy and an attack by wolves, one of which I've already exhausted), but other than that, just making them roll a strength check for exposure now and again doesn't seem to be so satisfying for them.

How do I add flavor to a trek from A to B through some rather identical threat?

Don't make it identical. In frigid Nordic winter conditions, off the top of my head, you might have to deal with:
  • Whiteout Conditions (requires checks to stay on-course and not wander off into difficult/dangerous/delaying terrain)
  • Trying to cross frozen or partially-frozen bodies of water
  • Climbing treacherous cliffs/mountains while a blizzard rages
  • Running into other travelers who are in trouble--will the PCs help them at risk to themselves or press on and ignore their plight?
  • Any number of reasons the path or trail they're following is out (downed trees, massive snowdrifts, super-treacherous ice, etc.) necessitating either finding their own way around or finding a local guide who can get them through.
Etc. etc.

You could do a lot worse than watching the Lord of the Rings movies, especially Fellowship, and paying particular attention to how they handle the traveling: usually it's a few wide shots of landscapes, then a zoom in for an encounter/character building moment, then they're at their destination--and that either feeds directly into the next encounter or gives the characters downtime to recoup and resupply. For example, the Hobbits and Strider set off from Bree, there's some traveling montage (and if you're watching the extended cut, a brief encounter in the Midgewater Marshes), and then they're at Weathertop where a cool scene happens. Then they set off from Weathertop, but oh no, Frodo's sick, so there's an encounter where they gather Athelas and meet Arwen. Then that rolls into another cool scene of escaping the Ringwraiths, and boom, they're at Rivendell. That's a good structure for handling long-distance travel in most RPGs, IMO.

Basically, any time you're doing a travel scene, think in terms of specific setpieces the players might encounter. Ideally treat these as mini-adventures, but if you do reduce them to a simple check make sure there are more interesting consequences for success and failure than "okay, you keep going" vs. "okay, you take 1d6 damage." Don't think about journeys in terms of miles of distance or days of travel time, think of them as a series of waypoints where cool story stuff happens.

For everything else, just describe how the travel music swells on the soundtrack and what the inevitable helicopter shot of your heroes hiking across the wilderness looks like.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anyone know if there is a homebrew dragonborn or young dragon ancestry? One of my players wants to play a baby dragon.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mechayahiko posted:

Anyone know if there is a homebrew dragonborn or young dragon ancestry? One of my players wants to play a baby dragon.

a quick search through the SotDL G+ group yielded this as an option, and there are other options as well - i.e. the 3rd party "Book of Exalted Darkness" (which I'm not the biggest fan of) has an ok-looking "Dark Transformation" Expert Path that lets you unlock stereotypical dragon abilities (fire resistance/immunity, bite attack, fire breathing, flight), which (if you're not super concerned about relative balance) could be adapted and combined with the warrior path and the acknowledged-as-more-powerful-than-a-standard-ancestry Lizardman from Foulest Reptiles to give you a pretty decent/mechanically effective approximation of a baby dragon (maybe at some point remove a d6 of damage from the Warrior or whatever master path is ultimately chosen and increase size instead)

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 18, 2019

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thanks! Probably use the lizard man as base and tinker it into a powerful ancestry.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

What's the best music to accompany SotDL fights? I feel like it must be some kind of metal, but I know nothing about metal.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thoughts?

quote:

Dragon
Starting Attribute Scores Strength 13, Agility 12, Intellect 8, Will 10
Perception equals your Intellect score +1
Defense equals your Agility score +1
Health equals your Strength score
Healing Rate equals one-quarter your Health, round down
Size 1, Speed 10, Power 0 Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages and Professions You speak the Elvish.

Elemental Being Choose Fire, Cold or Lightning
Inured to Element You take half damage from The element you have chosen for Elemental Being, and you are never at risk of suffering the effects of exposure.

Flyer: You gain flier but you must land at the end of the turn.

Super Powerful Ancestry When your group attains level 1, you do not choose a novice path, expert path or master path. Instead, whenever the Advancement table in Shadow indicates you would gain benefits from a path, you gain the benefits from your ancestry for that level.

Claws: Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 damage.

Level 1 Dragon Novice
Attributes Increase two by 1
Increase your Power by 1
Characteristics Health +6

Dragon’s Breath As an action, you may breath a 3-yard cone. Any target caught in the cone suffers (Power)d6 damage, half on a successful agility challenge roll. You may use this talent a number of times equal to your Power +1, and recover uses upon completion of a rest. The element of this attack is based on Elemental Being.

Catch Your Breath You can use an action, or a triggered action on your turn, to heal damage equal to your healing rate. Once you use this talent, you cannot use it again until you complete a rest.

Level 2 Dragon Novice
Increase your Power by 1
Gain one of the following benefits:
Weapon Training You make attack rolls with 1 boon when you attack.

Spit Element one target creature or object within medium range. The dragon makes an Agility attack roll with 1 boon against the target’s Agility. On a success, the target takes 2d6 damage. Attack 20+ deal additional 1d6 damage

Level 3 Dragon Expert
Attributes Increase two by 1
Iron Hide You have a +1 bonus to Defense
Your Claws deal an additional 1d6

Level 4 Dragon Expert

Improved Dragon Breath Your Dragon’s Breath talent deals an extra 2d6 damage and the targets suffer a bane on the Agility challenge roll.

Flurry of Blows The Dragon attacks twice with its claws

Level 5 Dragon Expert
Increase your Power by 1
You can now use your triggered action to use Dragon’s Breath

Primal Hunter Gain Truesight, Speed +2, Perception +2

Unstoppable Beast Defense +1, Immune to charmed, dazed, frightened, stunned

Level 6 Dragon Master
Durable When you would heal damage equal to your healing rate, your healing rate equals your Health divided by 3.
Powerful Attack When you attack, you can make the attack roll with 1 bane to deal 2d6 extra damage.

Improved Elemental Being
Fire When you deal fire damage, the target must make an Agility Challenge Roll with 1 bane or be impaired for 1 round
Cold When you deal cold damage, the target must make a Strength Challenge Roll with 1 bane or be immobilized for 1 round
Lightning When you deal lightning damage, the target must make a Strength Challenge Roll or be deafened for 1 round

Level 7 Dragon Master
Attributes Increase three by 1
Increase your Power by 1

Strong and Tough You make Strength and Willpower attack rolls and challenge rolls with 1 boon

Graceful and Cunning You make Agility and Intellect attack rolls and challenge rolls with 1 boon

Level 8 Dragon Master

Grit You can catch your breath twice between each rest.
Combat Expertise When you use an action to attack, you either deal 1d6 extra damage with that attack or make another attack against a different target at any point before the end of your turn.

Level 9 Dragon Master
Increase your Power by 1

Spell Defense You take half damage from spells. When a creature attacks you with a spell, you make the challenge roll to resist the spell with 1 boon and imposes 1 bane on the creature’s attack roll
Resolve You make challenge rolls to resist attacks with 1 boon.

Level 10 Dragon Master
Increase your Power by 1
You add your Strength modifier to the damage rolls of your attacks
Your Size becomes 2

Supreme Elemental Being You are immune to your element, this replaces Improved Elemental Being
Fire When you deal fire damage, the target must make an Agility Challenge Roll with 2 bane or take 4d6 extra damage
Cold When you deal cold damage, the target must make a Strength or Agility Challenge Roll with 1 bane or be trapped in ice for 1 round. A creature trapped in ice is defenseless and immobilized.
Lightning When you deal lightning damage, the target must make a Strength Challenge Roll with 1 bane or be dazed for 1 round

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Giodo! posted:

What's the best music to accompany SotDL fights? I feel like it must be some kind of metal, but I know nothing about metal.

Dopesmoker by Sleep

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
While this is of limited usefulness to this thread, SotDL is on sale on Drive Thru today for just eight bux

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
No word on the SRD yet, correct?

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Does anyone know if Pixies get the full damage for extra damage talents like trickery, backstab or does that count as weapon damage and gets halved? Trying to figure out a Pixie Fighter of some sort.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mechayahiko posted:

Does anyone know if Pixies get the full damage for extra damage talents like trickery, backstab or does that count as weapon damage and gets halved? Trying to figure out a Pixie Fighter of some sort.

yeah, its all weapon damage - look at page 39 of the main rulebook, if a creature's damage is of a type that would be halved you always just look at the total amount of damage and divide by 2 rounding down (once only)

I think this was addressed in the google+ group at some point but that's obviously dead now

I think Pixie fighting mans "work" by doing sub-par damage up until level 4 and then using Dilate to basically function as a normal character when needed - otoh how good your damage really needs to be at levels 0-3 probably depends on the opposition, since while a lot of stuff ignores your invisibility you're still p. much an unstoppable nightmare against Hired Killers and the like since you're capable of peppering them with arrows while floating unseen beyond their reach (don't forget about that free boon on your attacks!)

so maybe just Hunter (Warrior) -> Fighter (swift shot + eventually haft attack with spears)? Hunter loses the multi-attack capacity but otherwise seems to play well (since you're proficient in p. much all the ranged/finesse weapons you'd actually use, you don't lose HP to Dilate, and the mobility plays to your strengths)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
In Community Content on Drive-Thru RPG I found a supplement for solo play. Specifically playing without a GM.

I was wondering if the rules were capable of doing a 1-on-1 session using SotDL rules, a la Scarlet Heroes?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I bet scarlet heroes fray die would just work, and you could probably do the scarlet heroes damage numbers with some thought. You gotta pick how many hp represents an HD and it might not be the same per monster type. I don't think it'd be too bad in practice.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I just did a solo SotDL thing on the Lone Wolf RPG group.

Started with a fray die, but ditched it, because it was making fights too easy.

I allowed damage to carry through to extra targets if it made sense for it to do so.

For enemy Hits I went with round the HP to nearest 10 then take the 10s+ digit (or 1 if no 10s), and take the 10s+digit of the difficulty (no rounding this time) and add them as the number of hits a for can take.

For the Defy Death rule, start with 1d3, then 1d6, then +1d6 per time you use it that adventure. Read the highest dice as a SH damage due and take it to corruption or insanity rather than health.

I guess if you'd rather take it to health read all the dice, not just the highest.

I started with allowing a free heal after every fight, but ditched it again.

The write up is on http://moggynomates.angrymog.com/ if you're interested in seeing how it worked out.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
If I wanted to use SOTDL as a D&D lite, but keep the tone heroic, what adjustments would people suggest to core sotdl to increase survivability, enable adventurer antics, etc.?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

If I wanted to use SOTDL as a D&D lite, but keep the tone heroic, what adjustments would people suggest to core sotdl to increase survivability, enable adventurer antics, etc.?

Use the Fortune rules from Forbidden Rules (essentially they're a pool that players have to turn failures into success, successes (from enemies) into failures, heal damage, gain extra actions, etc). Ignore the insanity/corruption rules except for the really nasty monsters.

The Group Themes presented in DLC2 can also give PC's a leg up in a lot of situations.

Start at level 1 at the very least, though if you intend the party to be heroic from the word go third level might be good too, as the Expert paths make them a lot more powerful.

Make healing potions amply available at whatever place they treat as homebase.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think you need mess with numbers at all, it's 90% how you flavor it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think you need mess with numbers at all, it's 90% how you flavor it.

Well, one small proviso: player numbers aren't the problem, monster numbers are. SotDL has a lot of monster entries that are basically "if you get in melee range of this at the supposedly appropriate character level, your character gets crippled or even one-shot."

It's really dumb for multiple reasons, one of which is that nothing should be one-shotting players period, another of which is that punishes fighters in a game that honestly still has caster supremacy issues, but most relevant to the current line of conversation is that I'm pretty sure it's meant to emphasize the grim tone of the setting. The Rot Maiden is probably the worst example (immobile, but can slow and compel(!) PCs to get them to come closer and prevent them from getting away; deals 5d6 damage plus ongoing damage) but there are a bunch of other, slightly less egregious ones scattered throughout the bestiary.

I was working on an alternative scaling system for SotDL monsters, to make it a little more 4E-like, but then school kind of kicked my rear end and I abandoned the project temporarily. Might have time to revisit it again soon, though.

e: I posted a very rough, conversational version of it here, although I wasn't entirely happy with what I came up with and it has not been extensively tested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821509&pagenumber=34&perpage=40#post487087519

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My biggest shock was how hard it was to calculate how many Boons a fighty-type gets on a given attack. Not only are the details stored in several class entries by high level, but a lot of them are very conditional.

The game is not really that much simpler than non-3e D&D. I really, really wish the Wiki was still around or - better yet - there was a solid character builder for it that did some of the math for you.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Yeah, I run a very infrequent game for a bunch of my non-RPG playing friends and even at level 2 I am making up character-customized diagrams to easily lay out options and mechanics for any given combat turn. At that low of a level calculating the boons and banes from talents isn't necessarily hard, but the character sheets that I've seen don't integrate it very well. I may start doing the same for non-combat interactions.

To be fair, though, none of these people ever have or ever will read the rules, so it needs to all be very explicit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We usually write down all the boons in the weapon profiles in the character sheets, plus the effective damage and any of the "do d6 or extra attack/spell" effects, so no one has to tally those in the middle of the action.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

ZearothK posted:

Use the Fortune rules from Forbidden Rules (essentially they're a pool that players have to turn failures into success, successes (from enemies) into failures, heal damage, gain extra actions, etc). Ignore the insanity/corruption rules except for the really nasty monsters.

The Group Themes presented in DLC2 can also give PC's a leg up in a lot of situations.

Start at level 1 at the very least, though if you intend the party to be heroic from the word go third level might be good too, as the Expert paths make them a lot more powerful.

Make healing potions amply available at whatever place they treat as homebase.

Yep, I had the Fortune and downplaying insanity/corruption in mind. I'd probably need new background tables, since they seem to have a lot of insanity/corruption in them. What do people think of giving PCs a flat bonus or a multiplier to health?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'll confess I still don't fully understand triggered actions and usually half rear end it.