Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Paul Bearer arrives with an urn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ultimately, it's her fault.
I was fully prepared to settle our differences privately; Have a no-holds barred throwdown somewhere private, both of us knowing we couldn't murder each other because the Prince forbade that much and if either of us die, the other one is automatically the prime suspect.
Clan Gangrel is on the Camarilla shitlist anyways thanks to By Night Studios, so the last thing we needed was some big public spat when the city needs to be presenting a unified front against an impending Sabbat invasion.

But nope, she wants a big public duel.
So, she wants a spectacle, I'ma give a spectacle.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
How many yapapi punishment straps are you bringing?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MelvinBison posted:

How many yapapi punishment straps are you bringing?

Zero. The duel terms specify no weapons other than the ones our powers provide.
So at best, we have Protean Claws.
Plus, I have no aptitude with weapons, so that'd be doing me no favors anyways

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Fair. Honestly I just wanted an excuse to link that video. :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Rats!

quote:

Over the next few weeks, Snakeeyes and I simply enjoy the perks of having a fat purse. Snakeeyes and I explore the wine cellar of the Red Axe and the Silver Eel down the way. The Silver Eel having a much more discerning wine list and I quite enjoy the Velunian Fireamber from a place called Hommlet, and a nice Eiswein from the southern Roccanish Empire.

During my time in study, Snakeeyes had managed to bite of a piece of the Krrf trade down on the docks. "Quite by accident," he assured me. Krrf is based on a spongy leaf that when soaked in water works as a packing material for perishable foodstuffs that are sent down the river to Thalos. As merchants unpack their cargo, the leaves litter the docks and are piled up at the end of the day boy dockworkers. Through some alchemical process the leaf is treated and dried and produces a mild euphoria when smoked. Snakeeyes now is a partner in Krrf production, offering protection for two of the thirty or so piers on the riverfront, generating a small but steady income.

While walking his territory in the evenings, I amuse myself by surreptitiously practicing my shock bolt on wharf rats, killing them and then trying to reanimate them from clues in the book. Sometimes I am successful, creating a small rat-zombie that moves under my command for a minute or two before collapsing once again. Other times, I am wildly unsuccessful and the resulting explosion of gore requires a change of clothes and the end to the evening.

During one of our forays into the Outer Docks we are hailed by a raggedy individual sitting on a shipping crate.

"Pardon me!" The speaker appears to be another destitute peasant, a half-orc with mottled green skin and a gut that hangs well over his belt. "You have the look of serious humans," he says. "Might I trouble you for a moment?"

His patter continues. "Mung's the name. I'm a baker by trade. Best meat pies in town! One of my suppliers, a fellow named Algie, has gotten himself lost. No one's seen him for a week. I wouldn't worry, except that five others have gone missing in the last month. All rat catchers. Two showed up dead. I don't have much money, but everyone in town knows Mung. Help me out and I'll make your life a lot easier. What do you say?"

“What’s in it for us?” asks Snakeeyes.

“Beside the best meat pies in all of Thalos?” he says expansively. “I have some silver that I can pay for the safe return of my friend. That plus I know a thing or two about a thing or two. Here on the streets of Thalos, knowledge is the coin of the realm.”

Mung continued, as if we’d already agreed. "This was never the nicest part of town, but over the last month things have really gotten bad. First, the garbage collectors stopped coming around. Then the sewers started backing up. Now the ratcatchers are turning up dead. Vermin everywhere-and they're getting vicious! Algie is a ratcatcher, a good one. Supplies me with nice juicy rats for my pies. Lately he'd been talking about trouble in the guild. Someone was leaning on them, threatening to hurt the catchers if they killed any more rats. Weston, the guild master, might know more. He lives at the guild house on Outcast Alley."

Snakeeyes spoke up as he held up his hand. “Wait. Your friend is a part of a guild that is under pressure and guild members are turning up dead? Isn’t that this Weston’s job as the guild master?”

“That’s the problem. The Sanitation Department might be a guild, but it isn’t equipped to deal with outright murder. And with the Black Shirts as effective as they are and the Quarter too poor to hire our own Browns I’m asking you to help. Again I ask: what do you say?”

Snakeeyes shrugs. “Whatever you expect to pay us at the end of this, bring more.”

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My group continues to be amazing. After clearing out the dagon cult, they went back into town to confront the carrion tribe full of identity thieving warlocks. My idea here with them was that they're a more manipulative/social crew rather than the typical "barbarians covered in demonic poo poo" so they were loaded up with pretty strong Bluff skills and Charm/Suggestion abilities. Turns out they didn't need those really, since the party went "hey. that whole kidnapping/murder/ID theft thing? cut it out. we don't want to have to come back here." To which they agreed, because it gets the crazy team of better murderers out of the town they've invested so much time into. So off they go into the interior of the Demon Wastes, to the Lair of the Keeper!

The hike through the wastes is mercifully uneventful thanks to some ripping good survival rolling, but as they wake up Piggy notices some activity in some ruins to the south. They go investigate, and find more of the carrion tribe doing something with some huge crystals they know to be made from the "blood" of an old god along with a fountain in the center of these ruins filled with the liquid version of the stuff. A cultist next to each of five huge crystals, and a fairly recently made sacrifice as well. There's also a few very raging barbarians and an ogre mage to protect these cultists! The fight goes well until Len takes a couple bad hits and drops; turns out growing to huge size makes you a huge target. Piggy comes in and through a combination of his homegrown healing herbs and some blood magic, heals Len back up. Keryth uses her blood magic to pop a couple barbarians and animate their blood, which turns the numbers of combatants back around to their side. From there the fight goes pretty well; the players are making their saves to not get mind controlled into attacking each other, they're smashing blood crystals thanks to a +8d6 sonic damage dragonfire inspiration, carrion tribesmen are dropping left and right...

...and then the Rod of Wonder calls a Daelkyr. :stonklol: Oh but fortunately, this happened on the last round of the ritual going on, which they failed to stop! The crystal implodes in on itself, the fountain of old god blood swirls, the sky turns red and the sand turns grey as the fountain explodes, and standing in the wreckage is a giant dragon made of glowing blood and rough basalt. This fight just got interesting.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
To be perfectly clear, the rod of wonder did this itself as the “rod of wonder activates itself for the remainder of combat” option triggered right before the daelkyr was called.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Our group managed to finish up the Sunless Citadel campaign, and one of the players turned what would have just been an amusing situation into something hilarious. The players

Anton Graycastle a level 3 human wizard
Francis a level 3 half elf ranger
Brother Trancrede a level 3 half ork paladin of Tempus

The party had returned to town, and one of the few things to accomplish was informing the merchant Kerowyn Hucrele of her son & daughter's demise. Up until this point Francis had only told one other player about the reward that was being offered. The player suggested that Francis go and take care of this himself, but Francis wanted them to come as well. After a bit of back and forth of you should come no you should do it yourself Anton and Brother Trancrede volunteered to help Francis. Francis was able to convince the matron to hear the news without any of her employees. This is what followed.

Francis: I'm so sorry you have to hear this, but we were unable to locate your children. We did come across their rings and produces the two signet rings that they had worn.

The matron is saddened, but presses a bit more into the situation.

Kerowyn Hucrele: This is all so sudden. Did you by any chance find anything else of theirs? Such as the armor my son wore?
We had in fact found this armor. We had also left it in a chest we passed by as no one really wanted to carry armor they could not use. We did not retrieve said armor before coming back to town.

Francis: No I'm afraid we did not come across the armor. I do not mean to rush you but there is a manner of payment.
He manages to just barely convince the merchant that he wasn't lying to her face, and is handed a bag of money as payment. Just as Anton inquires about this payment he had never heard of Brother Trancrede steps up to console the matron.

Brother Trancrede: You have our condolences miss. Your daughter fought bravely in battle against us.

Cut to one mortified mother.
Kerowyn Hucrele: Excuse me what? You fought against her?
Brother Trancrede: Yes she fell under the sway of an ancient evil, and we had to do what was necessary to protect everyone else.
Kerowyn Hucrele: So you're saying you found my daughter, and then killed her...

While this is going on Francis has his face in his hands. The attempt to get a reward only for himself is going from bad to dear gods don't let the town guard get involved. He tries to sush up Brother Trancrede, calm down the matron, but it doesn't work. The matron politely informs everyone present that if she sees them in town tomorrow morning they will wish they went down as bravely as her daughter. Even as this all went down Brother Trancrede couldn't understand why she was reacting this way. He was trying to comfort her the best way he knew. For my first campaign this was definitely an experience I'll remember.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LemonRind posted:

Kerowyn Hucrele: This is all so sudden. Did you by any chance find anything else of theirs? Such as the armor my son wore?
We had in fact found this armor. We had also left it in a chest we passed by as no one really wanted to carry armor they could not use. We did not retrieve said armor before coming back to town.

Francis: No I'm afraid we did not come across the armor.
My favourite lies are unnecessary lies. I forget if they specifically ask for the armour but if not "We found armour of that description but didn't think to bring it back. Sorry about that." would have been fine.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Quick question:

Do y'all prefer reading relatively shorter campaign updates that happen more frequently or longer posts that take longer to wrote.

Yeah, yeah, I know: :justpost: and all, but as I transcribe my notes into a story I'm curious if I should hold off until I have a long update to post or if I should just post as I have something.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Short serialised is how it has always worked in real world publishing.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 7, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I prefer shorter updates to longer ones, personally.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Rats! (part 2)

quote:

Mung gives us the location of Algie’s house and the Ratcatcher’s Guild, assuming that we’d want to start the search at these two places and since Algie’s house was closer we went that way.

It was a short walk to Algie’s house, skirting the edge of the area called the Maze, ostensibly the home of the Guild. There were many gangs of cutthroats in Thalos, but there was only one Guild, nestled deep in the heart of a warren of tightly packed buildings and hovels. Rumor has it that the only people who lived there were allowed to do so at the mercy of Guildmaster Hreidmar. But we had no tuck with the Guild this day and skirted the Maze warily.

Algie’s house was a small hovel on Damp Street across the street from an unnamed tavern. Almost immediately Snakeeyes spotted two rough looking characters sitting on the steps across the street, so we kept walking along the street. We agreed that we would circle around the block, but this time only I would make my way to Algie’s house and Snakeeyes would run cleanup and see if he could pull an ambush if these two tried anything.

So I walk around the block and straight up to the door of Algie’s place. In this case “door” being a charitable disruption of a ragged blanket draped across the entrance. I let myself in and poke around, trying to get a sense of the place and attempting to turn up any clues. It looks like the place, while shabby and run down, was well kept with wood stacked in the fireplace and (now moldering) food in the cupboards. In a back room there appeared to be a struggle, with boot prints and clawed feet prints dancing around the room with gobs of gooey grey algae dried on the floor. As I was focused on deciphering the riddle, my head suddenly exploded and I was dropped prone to the floor.

Woozily I got to my hands and knees as the two ruffians from across the street stood in the doorway, armed with a club and a short sword.

“You are clearly an idiot,” says the first. “You saw us watching you, then you ditch your companion and try to give us the slip to check out the rat catcher’s home. And now here you are on all fours. What business have you here?”

Clearing my head and standing up slowly, fighting the urge to vomit, I collect my staff. “Looking for the rat catcher, of course.” A shadow moves behind them and a katana flashes. As the second ruffian drops screaming, I throw a spell of sleep at the first. He drops in a slumber.

We tie up the sleeping man and I wake him up and go to work on him. Before I finally ease his suffering we learn that these are Scarred Shadows, the same mob that attacked the Locksmith in our first day in Thalos. Apparently the Scarred Shadows have been hired by someone living in the sewers below the rat catchers’ guild house to interfere with any investigation into the disappearances, though they haven’t been directly involved with the abductions themselves. So it’s off to the rat catcher’s guild house we go.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Update on the upcoming vampire larp duel: My plans to smuggle a bear to the Symbel have been derailed by the STs.

My rationale: Literally nowhere in the general duel terms or the specific agreed-upon duel terms is the use of a bear against the rules. Hell, it should fall under the purview of clan power, since it's being controlled through Animalism, and in-clan powers have been specified as ok for use. Therefore, I should be able to utilize a bear to help me beat the crap out of my opponent.

So, I used downtime actions to have a bear on standby and arrange transportation for it to the Symbel, that way I could get over any inherent limitations in the power itself (10 minute minimum summoning time, a bear walking around through downtown Pittsburgh, etc).
ST emails me a week or so ago, asking what my plan with the bear is. I explain as above, and tonight, they e-mail back with an OOC explanation that I should absolutely not do that because it's "Not what an elder would do. It violates the spirit of the duel and the Prince would be forced to act."
Personally, I disagree on the first two points.
1. An elder is going to do what it takes to get the W. That's how they live long enough to be Elders. Especially a Gangrel. Especially my Elder, because my character is a walking Shitpost.
2. Violating the spirit of a rule without breaking the letter is supposed to be vampiric bread and butter.

But, on the other hand, when the ST pretty much tells you that it's not going to work and you will probably be merc'd by the Prince and it isn't up for debate, then, you're not really left with any choice.

On the bright side, I have the two shirts painted up to read "Stig Mania", I have Real American downloaded onto my iPod, and I have a wireless bluetooth speaker - All of which I have NOT told the STs about, so, my Hulk Hogan entrance should still be intact at least.
Unfortunately, my one friend who I was hoping would have the red/yellow feather boa does not, so, there won't be any of that to help round out the "costume."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
They said "shouldn't", not "can't". I'd do it anyways and give anyone who complains a Protean hug. The Prince can be "forced to act" all he wants, you've got a bear that will like him as much as it likes your duel opponent.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Considering I grew up there and still consider it home after almost 20 years away...

...I have no problems with a bear walking through downtown Pittsburgh. Paint it black and gold and people will assume it's on its way to PNC Park for a doubleheader.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CobiWann posted:

Considering I grew up there and still consider it home after almost 20 years away...

...I have no problems with a bear walking through downtown Pittsburgh. Paint it black and gold and people will assume it's on its way to PNC Park for a doubleheader.

Just put an XXL Steelers jersey on it and no one is gonna bat an eye.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Follow your heart, goon. There must be Bear.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Show up in person to the larp with a large hairy man in biker clothes. Apologise for any confusion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

show up riding the bear. If anyone complains, just say "what? I'm not using it in the duel."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

show up riding the bear. If anyone complains, just say "what? I'm not using it in the duel."
Then use it in the duel anyways.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Then use it in the duel anyways.

No, use it to maul all the other person's friends and allies while you duel

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
The bear should be your Second in the duel obviously if he can’t fight for you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If he had told me in-character it was a bad idea, then yeah, I still would have brought the bear.
But, he made it a point to tell me OOC that it wasn't going to work, and I know for a fact that the Prince could plaster my character even if I had a hundred bears, so, regrettably, I'm going to take the hint.

I just wish they would have said something sooner than 3 days before the drat duel, considering I started prepping the bear back in February.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Use the bear anyway, but have it poo poo in your opponent's ride while you're dueling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Send the bear to trash his place during the duel

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Splicer posted:

Send the bear to trash his place Childer during the duel

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
It would have ruined the surprise, but I would have loved it if your opponent had agreed to come to the duel in brightly-coloured flamboyant clothes to the music of Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance", eating a Slim Jim and saying "Oh yeah!" every four seconds.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JustJeff88 posted:

It would have ruined the surprise, but I would have loved it if your opponent had agreed to come to the duel in brightly-coloured flamboyant clothes to the music of Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance", eating a Slim Jim and saying "Oh yeah!" every four seconds.

Oh yeah, I would have loving loved it, but it would have been wildly out of character for her to do.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No, use it to maul all the other person's friends and allies while you duel
I like the way you think!

the_steve posted:

If he had told me in-character it was a bad idea, then yeah, I still would have brought the bear.
But, he made it a point to tell me OOC that it wasn't going to work, and I know for a fact that the Prince could plaster my character even if I had a hundred bears, so, regrettably, I'm going to take the hint.

I just wish they would have said something sooner than 3 days before the drat duel, considering I started prepping the bear back in February.
Sounds like literally every vampire LARP I've ever been even tangentially involved in: a bunch of boring rear end STs with totally overpowered "important" NPCs doing their damnedest to protect their inner clique from having to actually work for or worry about anything.

Get a Tzimisce friend to make you a vozhd out of ten bears and a suitably enormous mantis shrimp. Ghoul all the squirrels in Pittsburgh and give them dots of Potence. Action economy the hell out of them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

I like the way you think!
Sounds like literally every vampire LARP I've ever been even tangentially involved in: a bunch of boring rear end STs with totally overpowered "important" NPCs doing their damnedest to protect their inner clique from having to actually work for or worry about anything.

Get a Tzimisce friend to make you a vozhd out of ten bears and a suitably enormous mantis shrimp. Ghoul all the squirrels in Pittsburgh and give them dots of Potence. Action economy the hell out of them.

The way By Night Studios system works, I'm not sure a fraction of that is actually mechanically possible anymore.
Believe me, I wanted to have Ghoul Bees when I first started, but was shot down on that idea and hard.

Same with a Tzimisce. All Tzimisce are Sabbat, full stop. I go cavorting with them or getting any favors, I might as well kiss my character goodbye, because there will be a Blood Hunt on me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

The way By Night Studios system works, I'm not sure a fraction of that is actually mechanically possible anymore.
Believe me, I wanted to have Ghoul Bees when I first started, but was shot down on that idea and hard.

Same with a Tzimisce. All Tzimisce are Sabbat, full stop. I go cavorting with them or getting any favors, I might as well kiss my character goodbye, because there will be a Blood Hunt on me.

Sounds like they are leaning really hard into the whole "this is a place to be smug while wearing a pleather duster and/or corset from goodwill, not a game to have fun with and enjoy with other people" stereotype.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Robot_hammering_NO_FUN_ALLOWED_sign_but_a_vampire.png

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

yeah honestly "vampire larp" seems like exactly the sort of thing to avoid

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's honestly not as bad as I'm making it sound. Obviously I'm gonna be pretty biased, so most of what I write is gonna be slanted in my favor no matter how objective I try to make it sound.

Granted, we'll see how I feel on Saturday. I lost Mr. Bear, but I still have one more trump card in Personal Armor.
The issue there is that is takes 2 Blood to activate that ability, and the duel terms were that we can only use 1 Blood per round.

Obviously, the loophole there is "activate it before the duel, because it lasts for an hour."
And I'm going to die on that hill if it comes down to it, but, like I said, we'll see.

And then the other issue is that although the duel terms dictated that we have to take a minimum of one damage from any hit, since otherwise we'd just spend all night Fortitude No-Selling each other, the argument will be that Reflected Damage from Personal Armor won't count as a hit, so I'll need to make the argument for that too, more than likely.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

the_steve posted:

It's honestly not as bad as I'm making it sound. Obviously I'm gonna be pretty biased, so most of what I write is gonna be slanted in my favor no matter how objective I try to make it sound.

Granted, we'll see how I feel on Saturday. I lost Mr. Bear, but I still have one more trump card in Personal Armor.
The issue there is that is takes 2 Blood to activate that ability, and the duel terms were that we can only use 1 Blood per round.

Obviously, the loophole there is "activate it before the duel, because it lasts for an hour."
And I'm going to die on that hill if it comes down to it, but, like I said, we'll see.

And then the other issue is that although the duel terms dictated that we have to take a minimum of one damage from any hit, since otherwise we'd just spend all night Fortitude No-Selling each other, the argument will be that Reflected Damage from Personal Armor won't count as a hit, so I'll need to make the argument for that too, more than likely.

Any hit, doesn't say that the person taking damage is the one that was hit.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

yeah honestly "vampire larp" seems like exactly the sort of thing to avoid
^^^ This. Both V:tM and LARP seem to attract/appeal to the Theater Club set, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have both emo and DRAMAAAA in quantity. Honestly it's one of the things that waved me off LARPing, because I just can't summon the energy to deal with that kind of bullshit.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I like the story about a bunch of dudes getting fed up with it and registering as a group of hunters, showing up at their usual hangout with klieg lights and super soakers filled with holy water. That’s how all vampire larps should end, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ilor posted:

^^^ This. Both V:tM and LARP seem to attract/appeal to the Theater Club set, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have both emo and DRAMAAAA in quantity. Honestly it's one of the things that waved me off LARPing, because I just can't summon the energy to deal with that kind of bullshit.

I played in a lot of V:tM LARPs, and this is pretty true.

That's not to say you can't have good LARPs - but as with almost any RPG experience, as soon as you get people Taking Things Too Seriously, it all craters in a hurry.