Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
No actually I was waiting for this since this is the first time you can call it an actual game with goals and real gameplay. I guess we'll find out if my seven years of VIP are worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's worth noting what the plan actually is. 5.8 is on LIVE now, there are going to be campaigns, but they're not going to be all there. Spirit Bank is still in, there are some test vendors in the starting area that you can use to get a bunch of stuff & instalevel your vessels. Starting in january, they will begin "sanctioned campaigns" with actual import/export and the freebees taken out. You should take this opportunity to check it out, experiment, free-level your vessels, and smuggle out nice stuff if you're interested in really getting into it.

In my experience the game is very much about roving zergs rolling over NPC forts and not a lot of anything else atm, due to how hard it is to defend forts vs. capture them, and the free junk vendors. If you were into GW2 WvWvW it's a little like that, both in how cool it can get when two zergs collide, and in how insanely dumb it is the majority of the time. I'm holding off, but if you haven't tried it out you definitely should.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Thanks for all the info gonna give it a shot over the weekend when I have some time. Been waiting a decade for another Wolfpack game since SB was only thing that scratched the same itch UO did.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ducked into a campaign- looks like they actually did get rid of the test vendors. You can buy stuff in your beachhead for gold, but it's not cheap. I'm not clear how to set up player vendors yet, or whether it requires passive training in merchant. I was at the free city in the middle but didn't see any player vendors, again, not sure what's involved there. Additionally, there are POI's like lumbermills for reinforcing bases now. Not sure if that's had an impact on the meta. There was, in my opinion, not enough monsters around to level, I haven't seen what sacrifice leveling is like yet.

EDIT: Apparently a new campaign starts today at 9:30 central, they will have a smaller amount of flag objectives in an attempt to push people into more small-scale conflict. Apparently the lack of monsters is due to server resource issues that they're working through atm.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 21, 2018

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also I really hope that this is the final status for passive skill generation, I'm worried that it's not. I started my skills running tuesday night, and I've already gotten through to the runecrafting & excavation trees. I feel like I'm making fast enough progress to already see difference in my characters after a couple days, and even though I know that the specialization trees have much higher point costs, I don't feel like I'm going to spend the next month+ slogging through prereqs like was the case in the past.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"As a loyal backer of CrowfallⓇ with a Guild or Guild Creation entitlement - you have a 5-use link to share! Invite friends to join you in Crowfall’s First Campaign!

When friends register using your Crow Link, they receive 20% off the purchase of any Backer Pack! You receive 500 crowns when they purchase any Pack. PLUS 1,000 crowns will be added to your Guild Bank when friends join your guild on/before official beta!"

Problem. As a TRUE GOON I have no friends.

Also I can't in good faith refer people to buy an unfinished product these days. I don't even know what I'd use crowns for. I do have a bunch of poo poo already associated with my account from the original Kickstarter but I haven't been keeping track of any of it.

If anyone does want a blatant shill link discount thing then fine, pester me, but don't say I didn't warn you first.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

Also I really hope that this is the final status for passive skill generation, I'm worried that it's not. I started my skills running tuesday night, and I've already gotten through to the runecrafting & excavation trees. I feel like I'm making fast enough progress to already see difference in my characters after a couple days, and even though I know that the specialization trees have much higher point costs, I don't feel like I'm going to spend the next month+ slogging through prereqs like was the case in the past.

Nothing to contribute. I'd just like to thank you for continuing with the updates.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Some more findings from dipping in and out of these small "unsanctioned" campaigns since I've been off work for a couple weeks. FYI, the first sanctioned campaign, still planned for jan. is intended to have some key cosmetic rewards for the winning faction. I think a hat and like a nameplate? I think the plan is to have a couple of minor rewards per campaign that, in a worse game, would be cash shop fodder. I hope they stick to that, it seems like a good plan.

1. I think the sanctioned campaign is gonna get pushed back a couple weeks. Things are actually in pretty good shape, but the strategic game that I've bitched about is now on the designers' radars, and they want to try a couple things. They cut down on the number of outposts (small KOTH objectives for groups of 1-3 players) to try and focus the zergs against each other, and have talked about ways to try to get people to hold positions instead of musical chairsing around. Initial results are good, but they were apparently just a couple tweaks that thomas blair could make on his own while the programmers were on vacation, so they were super small bore.

2. The game loving sucks as a solo. I think when you're higher level and have mid-tier equipment it's probably not so bad, but you basically can't even take the smallest objectives as a fresh vessel without friends. This isn't necessarily a problem, but I would just advise people to never, ever solo. I need to reach out to UDL- we did some stuff with LoD in new world, fun guys, and it's a lot of the same dudes. The problem is that because there's worldwide chat, and zone faction chat, but not worldwide faction chat, it's not always easy to figure out where to go to play with other people. My advice is go to the keep held by your faction and spam zone chat until you find some people to play with. It will be less annoying than trying to solo anything at all. I think some people are solo harvesting and just risking their stuff from ganks, but even getting to the point where you can harvest well requires getting your vessel up to like level 5 or 6 which is annoying to do solo.

3. I think all the zergs have mounts and I'm not sure how to get one in a reasonable amount of time, since saddles require an assload of leather and harvesting that much without being specialized is a chore. Will post when I figure out what other people are doing.

So yeah, one thing I wanted to dig in to was the current harvesting meta, since it was an issue for people who played the game previously and I think it landed in a good place. Harvesting is super weird, so lemme just lay it all out here:

- All resource nodes come in 10 ranks (all mobs come in 10 ranks to), from R1 to R10. Each "swing" while harvesting deals damage to the node, with higher rank nodes having armor against harvesting. Your harvesting skill (+Logging, +Quarrying, etc) basically gives you armor pen against nodes, allowing you to clear nodes in fewer swings, both speeding up the harvesting process and reducing durability damage to your tools. This is important for not pulling your hair out, but also a despawn timer starts when a node first takes damage, so if you're swinging away with wood tools against an R10, it will despawn before you clear it. This is the thing that feels shittiest about this system (and is still a problem today) because you'll come across an R8 and not read the label, and not notice that you're doing 10 damage to it until a quarter of your tool is gone. The despawn was added because gamers are dumb and people would literally do this and think it was intended. I don't think this was a good solution to the problem.
- When you pass 75%, 50%, or 25% HP on the node, there's a small destruction event. When you finish the node, there's a large destruction event. You have a stat called "plentiful harvest" that is specific to the node you are destroying. So for instance, you might get +1 to plentiful harvest for stone, and you can maybe have an additional +2 to plentiful harvest for travertine, a specific type of stone, totaling +3. Plentiful harvest can be anywhere between 0 and 5 pips. There are loot tables for large and small destruction events for every rank and plentiful harvest pips. So, a Rank 1 gold node, with 1 pip of plentiful harvest, on a large destruction event, has a 100% chance of a single gray-quality gold ore and a 50% chance of an ethereal dust. A rank 10 gold node, with 5 pips of plentiful harvest has like a 50% chance of a purple ore, a 10% chance of an orange gold ore, 100% chance of 3 ethereal dust, or something like that. So plentiful harvest is a really, really important stat, it decides what table you're rolling from. Small destruction loot tables tend to be pretty limited, and at 1 plentiful harvest don't even consistently give you anything.
- On large destruction event, a bunch of other stuff is rolled out, you have a "harvest critical chance" stat, and each node rank also has a loot table for crits, and you have a "harvest critical amount" stat that decides how many times you roll from it on a crit. There's a "beneficial harvest chance" stat which gets rolled on a large destruction, and if it hits you get a buff that improves further destruction events in a manner and for a duration decided by a bunch of other stats, etc. etc. etc.

The thing is all these other stats are nice, and there's a ton of opportunities to improve them via gear and leadership buffs, and a ton of passive training nodes, and potions and stuff, but they're all just gravy on top of "plentiful harvest" which forms the foundation of your yield as a harvester. It takes a TON of these stats to equal the difference between 4 pips and 5 pips of plentiful harvest. So the problem was that even though "4 or 5 pips of plentiful harvest and enough harvesting skill to bust high end nodes" is the table stakes of being specialized into a harvesting profession, it used to be insanely hard to get that. You had 1 pip base, and you could pick up a pip from a potion if you could find a specialized alchemist to sell it, but the other 3 pips had to come from passive training, and hoo boy! You get 1 pip pretty quick when you first clear the exploration tree, and then it's a long, hard road. Because further pips don't apply to all ores/stones/woods/etc., you have to level it separately for each of the five types (so for stone, there are separate bonuses for marble, travertine, granite, limestone, and slate), and even then it's pretty deep into the specialization. And since 4 pips is when things start getting interesting, basically anyone can pick up the potion, have 2 pips, and be almost as good as someone who's been running passive training for months just to have 3 pips in most stone/ore/etc. types. The road to four pips was awful.

So three key things have changed: first of all, the game has sorted out its schizophrenic buff model, so there are now buffs from exactly four sources: leadership, food, drink, and alchemy. These all have different buffs that overlap slightly, so there's usually two potential sources for any given buff you might want. You can only have a given buff from a single source, so planning which potion, food, drink, and leadership buff to run is kind of part of your build.

This is important because cooking, which provides food and drink, requires almost no passive skill investment, so a lot of people have access to it. The result is that you can pull must-have buffs from cooking (in this case, meat skewers provide your plentiful harvest pip), and you're missing out on some potentially great other buffs that would be available to you if you pulled plentiful harvest from alchemy instead, which is more expensive. So ideally, you move to getting your pip from alchemy eventually, and get a different food buff, but on day 1, on the cheap, skewers is a great solution.

Okay, so now there's much easier access to the plentiful harvest buff.

Secondly, they have moved a ton of specialization must-haves onto disciplines. Disciplines are like glyphs that are permanently slotted into your character, and change their build. So previously for crafting recipes you had to spend some months passive training to even get to the point where you could spend passive training on getting recipes. Now, recipes are either on disciplines or loot items, so you can get access to them with a little bit of leveling and getting ahold of the glyph (easy right now, but the recipes are placeholders until the thrall system is in). Well, there's harvesting glyphs too and in 5.8, +1 plentiful harvest was moved from a capstone passive training node that took like 18 months to reach, onto the discipline. This is loving huge.

Lastly, they added seasons to the game. New campaigns start in the season of spring, and end at the end of winter. Each season provides different fighting conditions- in fall, "hunger shards" start to spawn in the world that drain the food of nearby players and freeze out harvesting nodes, preventing them from being gathered. You can destroy the hunger shards by harvesting them, and get a high-XP-value item that can also be slotted into weapons for extra stats. In winter they become insanely ubiquitous. But, there's another impact of the seasons.

Remember how before, I said all players start with 1 pip of plentiful harvest? Well, now you start with 2 in spring, and 1 in summer, and 0 in fall and winter. So, both ends of this are important. So, now you can get plentiful harvest from buff, discipline, and the early passive training (right now it takes like a week to pick it up). So, in spring, even new harvesters can hit 5 pips, and in summer 4 pips, which is pretty good. But then the other end of it is, in fall and winter, ONLY dedicated harvesters can actually get resources without the potion/food. The way campaigns are supposed to work is you start out basically land rushing for resources and industry, churn out equipment to drive the war, and in fall and winter you're mainly fighting and trying to avoid going entirely broke long enough to win. So with this new setup, you can get top flight stuff after just a few days during the landrush, and then people depend on you to keep things from bottoming out later on in the campaign. I don't know if it'll work, but it's the first time this has seemed even remotely workable, so I'm pretty excited.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 26, 2018

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

DancingShade posted:

"As a loyal backer of CrowfallⓇ with a Guild or Guild Creation entitlement - you have a 5-use link to share! Invite friends to join you in Crowfall’s First Campaign!

When friends register using your Crow Link, they receive 20% off the purchase of any Backer Pack! You receive 500 crowns when they purchase any Pack. PLUS 1,000 crowns will be added to your Guild Bank when friends join your guild on/before official beta!"

Also I can't in good faith refer people to buy an unfinished product these days. I don't even know what I'd use crowns for. I do have a bunch of poo poo already associated with my account from the original Kickstarter but I haven't been keeping track of any of it.

If anyone does want a blatant shill link discount thing then fine, pester me, but don't say I didn't warn you first.

I’m interested in checking this out, should I PM you?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

DancingShade posted:

Literally same question as the other guy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The game still feels pretty janky to me, but its the most solid of any of the unreleased sandbox MMO genre I guess

for those who are playing, who are you playing with? and are they weird edgelord shitters or normal ish?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I don't really play play, i just login to mess around with skills and see how the game is shaping up. Looks like its constantly improving so im happy. I assumed once real play started there would be some kind of goon guild.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

eonwe posted:

The game still feels pretty janky to me, but its the most solid of any of the unreleased sandbox MMO genre I guess

for those who are playing, who are you playing with? and are they weird edgelord shitters or normal ish?

Just to be clear, this is exactly what we want everyone playing this game to be, right?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
How active is participation in the beta? I've wanted Shadowbane to come back forever now. (though hopefully with a better control scheme)

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

eonwe posted:

i would like to play with normal-ish people

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Oh, same.

I'm not counting on it, though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

IDK this actually sounds pretty good. I like seasonal gameplay. Sounds like they're giving some content to solo/small-group, and it sounds like they're actively listening to the playerbase and making balance tweaks in line with what they want. And no mentions of invasive monitization practices either. Now please explain to me why I'm wrong and this game is actually terrible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SweetBro posted:

IDK this actually sounds pretty good. I like seasonal gameplay. Sounds like they're giving some content to solo/small-group, and it sounds like they're actively listening to the playerbase and making balance tweaks in line with what they want. And no mentions of invasive monitization practices either. Now please explain to me why I'm wrong and this game is actually terrible.

It's actually all right, I don't think it's bad. I just hate that fights over territory are a lot of cap/recap/rerecap zerging instead of extended sieges. The cadence of the game feels a lot like WvWvW. People who play more might disagree though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Fine, I'll bite. Can one of you nerds post a referral link in like the next hour or two?

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.
I've seen a lot of the old school SB guilds in this so I'll chime in on the referral link as well. Would also love a link please.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
I am pretty sure this link is dead, because the newsletter that sent them out said January 31st, but maybe they forgot to deactivate them:

https://crowfall.com/en/account/?affiliateCode=PR-HI.-DEC-PROMO#tab-registration

If you're just after the 20% discount, I believe anyone in a guild gets the discount as well, though I am not sure if you can join a guild without a backer package.

daita
May 22, 2013
Is [FoE] Flock of Eagles still a thing ? would it be possible to join the Guild ?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So how active is the Goon community in this? It looks pretty interesting and I might pick it up if there's enough activity going on.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
As far as i know it's not active at all. I don't think anyone but some try hard guilds are playing right now since its still technically "pre alpha" even though its in a fairly playable state.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yeah it’s not a game yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

clone on the phone posted:

Yeah it’s not a game yet.

Requesting mods to change thread title to Crowfall - It's not a game yet then if it ever finishes please change it to Crowfall - It's a game now.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
There's a campaign thing starting today where you can earn a little badge thing that gives a small bonus.

Are there any goons playing this yet? Im downloading.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'll play

lemme know your faction

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
I like the hamster race, so whatever faction they are. I'll probably start playing tomorrow

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Blackdog420 posted:

I like the hamster race, so whatever faction they are. I'll probably start playing tomorrow

Races aren't divided by faction, there's chaos balance and order

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

30.5 Days posted:

Races aren't divided by faction, there's chaos balance and order

i rolled some dice and it looks like it's ~Chaos~

my character is named Blackdog

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Let us know if it is any good. I backed this ages ago and I'm wondering if it is ever going to be worth installing.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I just got an email telling me I should pay 5bux to reserve a guild name -- is this game a thing yet?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
it is not but the tests have been okay

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/siege-window-improvements?fbclid=IwAR3jg0kUml5FJ_Y2Me6_qnaF1P11OGqD-Lvq5tdG1Zab_r5NHUrLbVAQrUw

This is the change that I personally was waiting on.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It sounds positive but I have no context through which to understand and appreciate this. Essentially it makes PVP more schedule friendly?

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Blasphemaster posted:

It sounds positive but I have no context through which to understand and appreciate this. Essentially it makes PVP more schedule friendly?

Less night capping, more actual combat over the POIs / Objectives. There was a lot more flipping empty keeps/forts, the idea is for less of that.

At the moment, the game has pretty much the whole game loop in place, and you can progress a character and go fight people in the campaigns. The combat is pretty decent, though the character interaction and animations are clunky, while temp textures are very common.

It's getting there patch by patch. It's definitely a playable game right now, but it's still 6+ months to soft launching IMO.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So there are three types of victory point objectives: outposts, forts, and keeps.

All three are guarded by NPCs, but the lowest level outposts can be solod by certain classes if you're level 30 and have decent equipment, forts tend to take a small Zerg, and capturing keeps is this whole thing.

So keeps have always had a protection schedule, and there are only 3 keeps per campaign. There are a couple forts per map and they've always been vulnerable.

So for various reasons, like that all three keeps were vulnerable at the same time and forts were always vulnerable, the game was effectively three zergs running around empty capping things. They sometimes fought, but in random places not around objectives. For this reason, there's a whole mechanic around getting special resources at poi's to reinforce forts and keeps that was not interacted with much, because it didn't have a clear benefit.

So this will hopefully change all that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh also it's hard to find the Zerg sometimes and focusing people to announced locations fixes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They're also getting rid of the mandatory resurrection sickness that made death annoying and stupid:

https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/to-death-and-back?fbclid=IwAR1dnfohhn7HzKwnYs4n639kasMekD73ASf_cv2VMgAicEtvNjeVtd_0Hbo