Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1116114613794476034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I kiiiinda like the movie's look, but the faces and heads are too old sugimori for the rest of the look (that Ash looks fine in 3/4ths, but you can see with Misty how facing front is a nightmare), no matter how good something looks in the context of being CG, it doesn't look as good as the original movie at all, and the aesthetics are not as good as Detective Pikachu.

Ironically, the new Armored Mewtwo looks more 90s than the original.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Every new thing we see from Detective Pikachu makes me want to see it more. It's gonna be really good. That Torterra is everything.

EDIT: I have the opposite feelings about Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. The original movie was great and Story of Us was absolutely beautiful, why you gotta disappoint two different groups of fans equally.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I never thought of Sneasel as fuzzy, but I'm glad they did.
I'm glad they did too. So many Pokemon designs for the movie have people saying "I didn't think so and so was so furry." But if you take the style and their desire to have the humans and Pokemon blend together into a seamless world and imagine most of those pokemon as hairless, fleshy beasts they would almost all look horrifying and gross. Jigglypuff especially.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 11, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Jigglypuff would look better with peach fuzz. Smooth looking, but very soft. Give the fluffpoof look to Clefairy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I always figured Jigglypuff would be rubbery, like a balloon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

I always figured Jigglypuff would be rubbery, like a balloon.
That's what most people thought and that's why I bring it up because that would look super gross. A big ol rubbery flesh ball

BattleCattle posted:

Jigglypuff would look better with peach fuzz. Smooth looking, but very soft. Give the fluffpoof look to Clefairy.
I like moviepuff but this is a fair take. But I think it might also look like it was just shaved. So I think fluffy is ultimately better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jigglypuff has to look like a testicle that had been shaved one week ago

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh...GOD her teeth.....just...ugugh it's so bad. I feel really REALLy uncomfortable looking at these guys, anime people do not translate well into 3D designs gently caress.

Edit: The eyes too, they're so far apart they look like prey animals.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Those are some good looking figures.

... Wait what do you mean these are renders for a movie?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Torterra was my absolute favorite Pokemon, now it's my double absolute favorite Pokemon.

I can't believe it, but I'm actually excited for this movie. More than anything, the setting of Pokemon is what has consistently appealed to me, and seeing this take on it is pressing all of the right buttons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Those are some good looking figures.

... Wait what do you mean these are renders for a movie?

They look like the plastic figures my local game store got from Japan. Someone in this thread figured out the toys were called Pokémon Kids, and the Pokémon themselves were hollow little figures you could wear on your finger that came in blind boxes with chalky candy. Lapras, Mewtwo, and the trainers were a larger size without a hole that came with several figures.

EDIT: Torterra looks ridiculously awesome!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I always thought of Sneasal as having slick fur like a sea lion.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought Sneasel was like... a bipedal lizard

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you weren't already sold on detective pikachu that's a shame, because that first trailer sold me as soon as I saw "Leaventown" on the kids ticket

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shinjobi posted:

If you weren't already sold on detective pikachu that's a shame, because that first trailer sold me as soon as I saw "Leaventown" on the kids ticket

Does Leaventown have a Grass-type gym.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vegetable posted:

I thought Sneasel was like... a bipedal lizard

sneaky weasel

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Funky Valentine posted:

I always thought of Sneasal as having slick fur like a sea lion.

super nosy weasel

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

Does Leaventown have a Grass-type gym.

Nope, it's hard to put down roots in there.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

sneaky weasel

Snivy (snide ivy) weasel

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I always thought Sneasel was slightly smoother like an actual weasel's fur, and I always thought the red parts were, well, feathers? I guess?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
all the twerps ITT surprised by Sneasel and by extension Weavile having fur clearly missed out on Pokkén Tournament, smh

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm still not sold on just how furry the furry Pokémon look in Detective Pikachu

I'm not sure what I really wanted, but Jiggly/Sneasel/Pikachu/Snubbull designs all look slightly too long-haired for me.

Movie still looks amazing, I just always imagined short haired pelts on all of them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

im glad claymation is coming back in style

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm still not sold on just how furry the furry Pokémon look in Detective Pikachu

I'm not sure what I really wanted, but Jiggly/Sneasel/Pikachu/Snubbull designs all look slightly too long-haired for me.

Movie still looks amazing, I just always imagined short haired pelts on all of them.

same just slightly too long of fur but it's fine

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The White Dragon posted:

super nosy weasel

Mega Man!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I suppose its kind of hard to depict smooth short hair for a CGI model without looking too "slick". It would probably look too weird among live action humans.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

What happens if you shave a Sneasel?

What's under there?

What's he hiding?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
pure ice

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Emolga is fuckin stoked to be in this movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A Pokémon's fur needs to be all smooth like a horse or velvety like a pit bull

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t mind Sneasel being furry but I thought those yellow spots were just markings, not jewel things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've really been enjoying pokemon: insurgence after downloading it today. seems like a solid fangame in terms of actual progression and the gimmicks that are introduced are more just neat than annoying. like delta pokemon, which are weird, differently-typed versions of pokemon we already know that look different to match. sprite quality varies a little bit here and there but it's Okay.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've really been enjoying pokemon: insurgence after downloading it today. seems like a solid fangame in terms of actual progression and the gimmicks that are introduced are more just neat than annoying. like delta pokemon, which are weird, differently-typed versions of pokemon we already know that look different to match. sprite quality varies a little bit here and there but it's Okay.

The biggest issue with Insurgence is a ton of the best/most interesting Deltas are locked in the really late game or post game for some godforsaken reason?

Also the usual romhack jank.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

The biggest issue with Insurgence is a ton of the best/most interesting Deltas are locked in the really late game or post game for some godforsaken reason?

Also the usual romhack jank.

oh yeah, absolutely. it doesn't escape some of the 'usual' stuff that plagues these things but it's not riddled with poor decisions at the same time. i have no idea what the 'darker' option for the story entails, though, although i doubt it could hold a candle to reborn in the least.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let's just all agree again that mossy torterra looks dope as poo poo. Almost as good as my main man bulbasaur

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh yeah, absolutely. it doesn't escape some of the 'usual' stuff that plagues these things but it's not riddled with poor decisions at the same time. i have no idea what the 'darker' option for the story entails, though, although i doubt it could hold a candle to reborn in the least.

Nah, nothing on Reborn's level. Its mostly just a bunch of edgy cults who worship various Legendaries as gods and some of them do human sacrifices.

Basically its the 'nothing personnel kidd' option to make your Pokemon edgy in that uniquely 13 year old way.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Emolga is fuckin stoked to be in this movie.

I have to give the movie credit where it's due, they're actually making the pikaclones look appealing to me. A miracle in and of itself honestly.

RatHat posted:

I don’t mind Sneasel being furry but I thought those yellow spots were just markings, not jewel things.

Mm....I think it depends on the art you've been looking at because those jewel things have shine and shadow on them in most depictions.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the delta pokemon do have some pretty neat designs, like delta aipom who's ghost/normal and has a weird ghost tail

also delta ambipom has an...actually pretty tight design, i feel?

also as a bonus if you have aipom and are using it:
they see you

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can't fool me, those are just TWEWY enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I have to give the movie credit where it's due, they're actually making the pikaclones look appealing to me. A miracle in and of itself honestly.
Setting Plusle and Minun aside since they are indeed lazy Different Pichus, what do you have against the other pika clones? Are they actually bad designs, or do you dislike them just because they are electric and rodents in the same way that Pikachu is? Most of them don't even look like Pikachu.