Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Radish posted:

It's impressive that Biden is probably going to Boomer his way into the nomination despite offering literally nothing and actively telling people "gently caress off you all have it easy." Even Trump promised to give people stuff even if they were obvious lies.

If there's one thing Boomers love, it's reaffirming their belief that theirs was the last generation that ever had to work for anything, and that nothing bad that has ever happened was their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1116465579064471555

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Yeah. I think Bernie's best-win scenario (as in, the scenario where he wins in the most advantageous way for the general) is in a head-to-head with Biden, because it removes identity from the equation.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah. I think Bernie's best-win scenario (as in, the scenario where he wins in the most advantageous way for the general) is in a head-to-head with Biden, because it removes identity from the equation.

Bernie can't beat anyone head to head. He needs the clown car to keep the threshold for winning low.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

There was a post last week or so about Buttgieg's homosexuality being an act of political calculus and while I don't think that's the case they might have been on to something

Please gently caress off with this

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i wonder how people like ilhan get treated in israel :thunk:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Radish posted:

It's impressive that Biden is probably going to Boomer his way into the nomination despite offering literally nothing and actively telling people "gently caress off you all have it easy." Even Trump promised to give people stuff even if they were obvious lies.

I'm 100 percent a believer in democracy in abstract, but the forty years on my planet have made me think it's not great in practice. At least not with human beings.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Bernie can't beat anyone head to head. He needs the clown car to keep the threshold for winning low.

Why do you think this, exactly?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

That was why I added the clarification in the parens. I don't mean Bernie is most likely to beat Biden head-on, I mean "the scenario where Bernie beats Biden is the best win condition for Bernie because it carries him to the general with the least animosity".

Majorian posted:

Because according to pretty much all the information we have, a pretty major swath (greater than 50%) of the Dem electorate suck; you see this in Hillary's win, in Biden's current popularity, in the basic static of Bernie's numbers and particularly his high unfavs while other folks move around. Between Boomers (who make up a big chunk of the electorate), Hillary fans, and identity-issue voters, you've got a 50% or more voter share. This has been pretty much the dominant theme of polling and takes this week: despite the impression Twitter/the internet gives you, there are a LOT of centrists and liberals out there.

Bernie doesn't have the highest unfavs of any major candidate by accident. There are just legitimately a lot of people out there in the electorate who don't like him. That doesn't mean he can't win (Trump was similar), but it means that his path runs best through his opposition being divided rather than unified (again, like Trump).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

the_steve posted:

If there's one thing Boomers love, it's reaffirming their belief that theirs was the last generation that ever had to work for anything, and that nothing bad that has ever happened was their fault.

Not wrong but every generation acts like that when they get old. Ours likely will too.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not wrong but every generation acts like that when they get old. Ours likely will too.

This actually isn't true, and lets the Boomers off the hook. Like the Greatest Generation was much more liberal and open to progress and change in their old age.

It's just that Boomers (and Silents) really loving suck.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1116436194240409601?s=21

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Julian Castro - all in on the drug war, pretty much.

e: he wants stiff prison sentence on people who sell drugs (no mention of what those people are supposed to do to support themselves when they get out of prison)

Makarov_ fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 12, 2019

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Has there been much research about the political evolution of the Greatest Generation? I know they were the most consistently liberal cohort until the millennials showed up, but was that more a function of so many of them identifying with the Democratic Party and following its leftward drift on social issues? It'd be interesting to see if that was more attitude defining politics or vice versa.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Generational voting habits chat!!! Yay, I get to post the chart I save in a special folder just for this kind of occasion:

Z. Autobahn posted:

It's just that Boomers (and Silents) really loving suck.

More specifically, younger Boomers and older Gen Xers. Granted, this chart is a bit old.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

The idea that "you get more conservative as you get older" is a pernicious lie the Boomers spread to justify the failures of their generation

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Ah, if only Iran were say, 60 years down the road evolving as a social democracy instead of a loosely democratic theocracy. Luckily there's almost no one in any meaningful capacity to talk about that so the New Golden Boy can serve up piping hot takes like this and continue the dogpile on a muslim refugee fellow democrat.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Z. Autobahn posted:

Because according to pretty much all the information we have, a pretty major swath (greater than 50%) of the Dem electorate suck; you see this in Hillary's win, in Biden's current popularity, in the basic static of Bernie's numbers and particularly his high unfavs while other folks move around. Between Boomers (who make up a big chunk of the electorate), Hillary fans, and identity-issue voters, you've got a 50% or more voter share. This has been pretty much the dominant theme of polling and takes this week: despite the impression Twitter/the internet gives you, there are a LOT of centrists and liberals out there.

Bernie doesn't have the highest unfavs of any major candidate by accident. There are just legitimately a lot of people out there in the electorate who don't like him. That doesn't mean he can't win (Trump was similar), but it means that his path runs best through his opposition being divided rather than unified (again, like Trump).

I agree with everything here but I think you're not giving enough consideration to his grassroots power. Bernie's campaign is going to have a physical presence in this election that no other candidate will come close to matching. This will be especially important given the confusing media environment we're likely entering.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Good thing the latest news on Israel wasn't about how Bibi had to make allies with guys who openly are 'proud homophobes' who hate people like me and ol mayor Pete, not to mention the fact that they sure treat LGBT Palestinians badly, or he'd look real dumb.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

Polling and candidate "second pick" polling. Biden is at 36 percent of the total as of the last poll I saw and if Harris and Booker drop out her would poach their 9 and 6 percent bringing him up to 51. I think and Harris or Booker voters that don't go Biden are cancelled by Warren and Beto ones who defect to Biden when their candidate drops out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Polling and candidate "second pick" polling. Biden is at 36 percent of the total as of the last poll I saw and if Harris and Booker drop out her would poach their 9 and 6 percent bringing him up to 51. I think and Harris or Booker voters that don't go Biden are cancelled by Warren and Beto ones who defect to Biden when their candidate drops out.

Harris is not dropping out until she absolutely has to. Same with Beto.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not really. Voters don't receive and process information from media the same way they do when they are read leading statements in a focus group or poll and asked to respond immediately after.

I have to say, this whole exercise is pretty bullshit and Sean is supposed to know better. He's made "data" his whole brand, and unlike Nate he actually has a background in social science and quantitative methods, so this is extra bad. The paper proves nothing other than how a representative sample will respond to this specific information posed in this specific fashion and context.

Congratulations. You've figured out that polls doesn't prove anything except how a representative sample will respond to a specific piece of information posed in a specific fashion and context. Great job. Maybe you shouldn't be lecturing the data scientists if you've only just now discovered what polls are, though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

The whiplash from people rarely mentioning his sexuality in interviews to it being the focus of every loving interview he does is palpable. This comment, here, though? Garbage. Both situations are terrible.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1116496070396141568?s=19

Harris is gonna win by Standing her Ground (shooting her opponents point blank at the debates).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, first because respondents were polled with dual loaded statements (one for each candidate), and second because they didn't even load the statements for the worst of biden's record, like making student-loan & medical debt nondischargeable, which is going to hit a lot of voters harder than "biden made it harder for women owed child support to file for bk" or w/e it was.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

No, no motivated reasoning here at all.

I mean, you do realize that by the same argument that Biden beats Bernie head to head, Bernie beats everyone else head to head, right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It may seem to us laypeople like Israel's conduct is at least as bad as Iran's, but if we had the deep understanding of systems dynamics that Buttigieg gained during his time at McKinsey we'd realize that Israel's actions have actually been optimal and the result of cutting edge machine learning techniques.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Congratulations. You've figured out that polls doesn't prove anything except how a representative sample will respond to a specific piece of information posed in a specific fashion and context. Great job. Maybe you shouldn't be lecturing the data scientists if you've only just now discovered what polls are, though.
The point which evidently flew right over your genious brain skull is that some polls and survey research have been shown to be better at representing and predicting distinct phenomena than others.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I agree Pete , super rich white guys who did US intelligence work on killing brown people DO have it hard in Iran .

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1116496070396141568?s=19

Harris is gonna win by Standing her Ground (shooting her opponents point blank at the debates).

So she claims that other politicians are cowards who are scared to engage with real solutions to our gun problem. And then she proclaims that her stance is to take neither side on the issue, and to instead focus on "smart" and "practical" nonpartisan plans. The whiplash alone could kill people on the debate stage.

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017
I'm cool with Pete attacking Mike Pence's faith, but I don't like him doing it and then pretending like he didn't

I'd rather it just be a straight-up fight

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

centrists suddenly love concealed carry

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It may seem to us laypeople like Israel's conduct is at least as bad as Iran's, but if we had the deep understanding of systems dynamics that Buttigieg gained during his time at McKinsey we'd realize that Israel's actions have actually been optimal and the result of cutting edge machine learning techniques.

I'm actively disliking his stance on Israel.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I'm 100 percent a believer in democracy in abstract, but the forty years on my planet have made me think it's not great in practice. At least not with human beings.

Stunning political insight from 1glitch0 right here

Churchill posted:

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Winston Churchill's idea of democracy was a white master race ruling the world through terror, violence and starvation.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Helsing posted:

Winston Churchill's idea of democracy was a white master race ruling the world through terror, violence and starvation.

Pretty spot on definition so far. Seems like a smart guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pretty lovely takes here - Biden and Bernie are both old as hell, one protested segregation while the other promulgated it. Insert dril tweet about good and bad things here

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

matty's take is more offensive imo. biden's not too old cause he did a racism, nor did he do a racism cause of his age. drawing bernie into the conversation just hightlights this. biden had a choice. he chose the easy route for his political career and pandered to racists

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If people still re-elect Trump, Humanity is terminally unworthy of being saved. I don't care if these candidates are bad, life is about compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

AceOfFlames posted:

If people still re-elect Trump, Humanity is terminally unworthy of being saved. I don't care if these candidates are bad, life is about compromise.

Same, but if anyone to the right of bernie is elected