Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

If it's not a Napoleon or a Parrott rifle I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have exactly one gun in my collection, a Glock 19 that I bought the day after Charlottesville and lives in my safe and doesn’t get out to the range often enough. Ideally I’d love to own a featureless rifle like the SCR, an M1A, and a 1911, but I can’t justify spending that cash when I’ve got my wedding coming up this year. Oh, and also buying a new mountain bike, maybe some new glass for my camera, etc. Lando could always use a backpacking dog bed, too. Being all growed up means you don’t put away your toys, they just get more expensive.

First bikepacking trip of the season begins tomorrow, roughly 130 miles from my door back to it a few days later. Will take tons of pics and post them if they’re awesome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Something to go with the watch you just bought?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

holocaust bloopers posted:

Anyone been to Banff?

My mom lives about 10 miles east of Banff, been there plenty of times over the years. I'm not sure what you're doing there but my general advice is to not go there unless it's late or early in the tourist season.

I didn't know we had this thread. I could have ranted about my bullshit summer hikes up Utah's lesser known mountains like Mt Beulah or the forgotten favorites like The Cathedral. I mean look at this lovely ridge

Like 5 hours just to get that far and meet this tower

From across the valley it looks like nothing

On the opposite side valley it's still something not too threatening

Mt Beulah is in my top two of roughest hikes I've ever done. Over 100 mountains summitted so it's a special occasion to be that high on the list.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

It's definitely not a musket.

THREAD DELIVERS

LeadSled posted:

If it's not a Napoleon or a Parrott rifle I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

I was just reading about Parrott rifles yesterday, and I have to agree.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

(click me)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

congrats dude! nice pickup

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

EBB posted:

It's a musket. It's always a musket.
It's definitely not a musket.

Syrian Lannister posted:

It should be finger-guns in Civil War garb
I was going to jokingly say "finger muskets???" but you already posted it. Hot dang, dude.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hotel Kpro posted:

My mom lives about 10 miles east of Banff, been there plenty of times over the years. I'm not sure what you're doing there but my general advice is to not go there unless it's late or early in the tourist season.

I didn't know we had this thread. I could have ranted about my bullshit summer hikes up Utah's lesser known mountains like Mt Beulah or the forgotten favorites like The Cathedral. I mean look at this lovely ridge

Like 5 hours just to get that far and meet this tower

From across the valley it looks like nothing

On the opposite side valley it's still something not too threatening

Mt Beulah is in my top two of roughest hikes I've ever done. Over 100 mountains summitted so it's a special occasion to be that high on the list.

These are great! Post some more. I'm not familiar with the mountains in Utah since if I'm going there, I'm going to hike in desert terrain. Have plenty of mountains here in CO.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

(click me)

i see a musket

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a rifled musket, and therefore a rifle
:awesome:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It is a rifle and not a musket. A musket has a longer barrel.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado last week. Watched the spring surge come in Medano Creek

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Looks beautiful. What are some national parks that fly under the radar? I feel like most everyone knows Zion, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Biscayne, but it’s ~95% water so you aren’t getting far without a boat :v:

Others down here:

Big Cypress
Everglades
Dry Tortugas (off of Key West)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Looks beautiful. What are some national parks that fly under the radar? I feel like most everyone knows Zion, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

North Cascades, Capitol Reef and Black Canyon are pretty under the radar by comparison to the big ones

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
North Cascades is in my list for sure.

Everglades no because snakes terrify me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Riding an airboat through the swamps is definitely a cool experience, but I can also see the rationale behind “if boat sinks, I’m alligator food”. There’s an abandoned nuclear missile silo near the Everglades visitor center that they run tours to, and those kinds of things always draw my attention. There’s a handful around the country you can actually go scuba diving in, if you look around. I know of at least 2, one in TX and one in southern WA.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I did an airboat tour through the Everglades as a kid and that's about the closest I'd want to get to gators again. Don't think I was really aware of how bad it would be to fall in the water.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

North Cascades is in my list for sure.

Everglades no because snakes terrify me.

didnt pythons eat like everything that was there so now they're eating gators

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

didnt pythons eat like everything that was there so now they're eating gators

One ate a gator, then split itself open because the gator was too big for it to digest.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/photo-in-the-news-python-bursts-after-eating-gator-update/

I remember seeing this when it originally happened, and I’m sad to think that it was 13 years ago :stare:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's like a visual metaphor about the local populace in buffet restaurants in the South :v:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

All the ones in the midwest. Indiana Dunes, Isle Royale up in michican, and Cuyahoga in ohio.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois is supposed to be beautiful too

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

The Rat posted:

North Cascades, Capitol Reef and Black Canyon are pretty under the radar by comparison to the big ones

you can't actually access much of Black Canyon NP from the campground I'm talking about because it's on the wrong side of the canyon, but the NP campground in Crawford, CO is probably the best car-camping spot in CO

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

poo poo there's still plenty of view points on the North rim, and way more routes down to the bottom with better accessibility permit-wise compared to the South rim. That's if you're crazy/stupid enough to go down to the bottom, of course. I did the SOB draw and long draw routes both in the same day and my god my legs were smoked for a week after :suicide:

But I agree, very easy car camping on the North rim. Never tried it on the South rim.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

Riding an airboat through the swamps is definitely a cool experience, but I can also see the rationale behind “if boat sinks, I’m alligator food”. There’s an abandoned nuclear missile silo near the Everglades visitor center that they run tours to, and those kinds of things always draw my attention. There’s a handful around the country you can actually go scuba diving in, if you look around. I know of at least 2, one in TX and one in southern WA.

You can go to the Titan Missile Museum outside of Tucson without getting wet or near alligators.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Short local hike today. Felt really rough since 3-gun was yesterday and I was running around all day in full kit. Didn't help that I was shooting my 308, and knocked a target off of its stand at 250y out. After I was done shooting, had to jog out there and back to reset it. Legs are smoked but it feels like a decent weekend.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

Short local hike today. Felt really rough since 3-gun was yesterday and I was running around all day in full kit. Didn't help that I was shooting my 308, and knocked a target off of its stand at 250y out. After I was done shooting, had to jog out there and back to reset it. Legs are smoked but it feels like a decent weekend.

Nice humblebrag. Also that's awesome dude, congrats

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Nice. You’re using an Olympus system yea?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, Olympus EM1 Mk2. Using the hi-res mode off the tripod for the landscape work for the most part. This was with the 12-40 lens, the 7-14 wide angle that I normally prefer is still at Olympus USA being overhauled. Starting to consider carrying the 12-40 with me even when I go back to the 7-14, because sometimes it works better. Just not sure what the best lens case option is for something that's going to spend a lot of time stuffed in my pack and maybe getting rained on.

e: also lol UP THE BUM NO BABY it was straight up the worst I've shot at a 3-gun match in years, bad sleep had my fine motor control all gone to poo poo. It showed hard in the scores and standings.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 22, 2019

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Lena Lake, Olympic National Forest. Clouds rolled in low once I got up to the lake so no good mountain views.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's where I'm going to wander away with nothing but a bottle of whiskey when I've finally had enough.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Marmot Pass, Olympic National Forest

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Lake Constance, Olympic National Park

Hardest day "hike" I've ever done. More of a climb than a hike.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Those are awesome, I'm loving them.

Wish I didn't have to scuttle last year's planned trip to the PNW from all the fires :( Hoping to get up that way again at some point.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should do more hikes on the peninsula. I've only done hoh rainforest and some hot springs, nothing that scenic.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Are those recent? I haven’t kicked off hiking season yet due to access concerns. Did you summit either of the Buckhorns?

Also, gently caress Lake Constance and that trail forfuckingever.

Do Lake of the Angels / summit Skokomish for a good time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Lena Lake, Olympic National Forest. Clouds rolled in low once I got up to the lake so no good mountain views.

:stwoon:

drat dude! Those are pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks guys!

A SOF Marine posted:

Are those recent? I haven’t kicked off hiking season yet due to access concerns. Did you summit either of the Buckhorns?

Also, gently caress Lake Constance and that trail forfuckingever.

Do Lake of the Angels / summit Skokomish for a good time.

Yeah they're recent. All of the trail heads I've been to have been easily accessible, I go out to the Olympics pretty often because its just 1.5-2 hours to get to the trail heads on the eastern side.

I didn't summit either of the Buckhorns, by the time I got up to the pass some crazy weather was coming through and wind was blowing pretty hard and I was freezing my rear end off.

This summer I plan on climbing as many mountains as I can. Eventually I want to work my way up to the more technical climbs and finally summit Rainier, though that will probably be next summer.